Topics

(Clutching) Why Kassia Missed Her Party atten: Foreth/Truenoth/Talith/Mendl #clutching Part 11 #clutching

sailyn2

“Why yes it does!” Mendl said. “Maybe she’s been eating too much fish. That is a weird image. Though I love how the images on her eggs are so clear. Some of the other golds you have to squint and look sideways to figure out what they are. Foreth’s look like they were done by a master artist.” She didn’t care if she sounded like she was sucking up. Being allowed here at all was an honor and a privilege, and she would love to be invited back for the next one.

“They’re so vivid that that’s how I got my favorite knife.” Kassia pulled out the Silk Dagger as she kept half an eye on Foreth who seemed to be gearing up for another egg. “Did you ever get to see the Silk Dagger Egg?”

“I’ve heard of it, but I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it,” Mendl said slowly. “I came to the Weyr around when the Feast Crashers Hatched, so I don’t think so. That is one lovely dagger.” Her first thought about it was that it was odd for the Weyrwoman to be carrying a knife on her. Then she remembered the attempted assassination.

“I think I’d like to learn how to use knives as defense. After what almost happened to you…” she trailed off. They still hadn’t found the perpetrator.

“They teach some self defense to the Weyrlings,” Kassia said. “Generally there’s not much reason for the Candidates to need it. It really is safe here.” For people not related to her anyway.

((No one is going to hurt my eggs,)) Foreth piped in. She was breathing hard, the strain starting to catch up to her but she shifted again and went back into position as the next egg started to arrive.

Mendl studied Foreth, watching her leg. The breathing was most likely normal; this was childbirth, after all.

“Foreth, can I get you anything? Do you need water?” she asked. If she needed something like that, she was sure there were plenty of daddy-dragons around to help.

“I know this is normal. But I wish I could help her,” Mendl said, hands clasped tightly in front of her.

((I’m...fine...)) Fourth growled.

“It’s not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it seems to be a little easier than when I gave birth. Just she has to go through it so many times at once. That gold egg hurt, though. They’re bigger than the rest. Thankfully there’s usually only one gold egg at a time.” For lots of reasons.

Having said that, Foreth seemed to be straining a bit harder at the egg she was on like maybe it was a bit bigger than average.

“Oooo, sorry love,” Kassia called as finally the next egg slid free. “Oooo, it looks like a night sky under fog.” She lowered her voice. “That’s relatively uncreepy, right?”