Topics

So, I Have An Idea... Att: R'tal/N'yx

Jerzy Tobin

"Ask the Healers about it next visit too," R'tal advised. "Just in case they have concerns I'm not thinking of. But yes, that seems like a plan."
"I will, Sir," N'yx said, rising to his feet. "Thank you for making
time for this meeting."

He left R'tal to his work; heading out to get his own meetings in
order to get the ball rolling on his own tasks.

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 10:00 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> "Pop your head into the Candidate Barracks," R'tal said. "They'll probably have a quick chat just so they know who you are but you can tell them I sent you."

"Alright, then, I'll do that.  And as for the watch-riding or sweep
riding, I'd not mind doing sweeps.  It's something active, at least.
After this trip, maybe we can meet again and see about that?"

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 9:34 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> "Oh, just something crafted to give the rest of the Weyr a bit of peace." R'tal grinned. "It's not too exciting but you could view it as a bit of holiday perhaps, and a chance to get used to the heat. You take the kids out - we need enough dragons to get them out there - and then help out where needed, whether that's by keeping an eye to make sure they don't do anything utterly stupid or running them back to the Infirmary if needed."

Well, it sounded nice, if not necessarily very exciting. At the same
time, though, it was a chance to explore his new home, and, as R'tal
said, get used to the heat.  Maybe he could convince Bl'by to come
with him.

"That doesn't sound too bad of a thing to jump in on," N'yx said with
a nod.  "Sure, why not?  Where do I sign up?"

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

"Oh, just something crafted to give the rest of the Weyr a bit of peace." R'tal grinned. "It's not too exciting but you could view it as a bit of holiday perhaps, and a chance to get used to the heat. You take the kids out - we need enough dragons to get them out there - and then help out where needed, whether that's by keeping an eye to make sure they don't do anything utterly stupid or running them back to the Infirmary if needed."
Well, it sounded nice, if not necessarily very exciting. At the same
time, though, it was a chance to explore his new home, and, as R'tal
said, get used to the heat. Maybe he could convince Bl'by to come
with him.

"That doesn't sound too bad of a thing to jump in on," N'yx said with
a nod. "Sure, why not? Where do I sign up?"

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

> "Hm." R'tal looked at him for a moment, considering. "Well, there's watch-riding, though that's hardly scintillating for a rider of working age, I know. We might try you on sweeps once you get comfortable with what you're doing; it gets you doing actual work without the urgency of what happens if you need to take an extra minute or two. Or, in the meantime there's-- hang on." He turned to look for the paper he wanted. Fortunately, thanks to Margana, it was easy to find. "Here we go. Candidate trip happening in a couple of sevendays. They wanted riders to accompany."

N'yx listened as R'tal listed off the two jobs he'd been expecting to
hear.  If he'd had an immediate choice, he'd have gone for sweep
riding.  At least then there would be things to do, even if it was
just flying over the area.  Watch-riding was, most of the time, boring
as all get out, and not much better than make-work.  Even if, that
little voice whispered in the back of his mind, that might be all he'd
be fit for any more.

"A candidate trip, Sir?" N'yx asked, interest piqued immediately.
"What sort of trip?"

[...]

Well, that was fair.  And there was plenty of time to figure out that
bridge when they came to it.  N'yx wasn't ready to give up on the hope
of returning to fight Thread, if not soon, then at least someday down
the line.

"The healers seem to think I'm doing a lot better than when I first
came," N'yx answered.  "Seems your southern sun does wonders for
problems brought on by too much cold.  They said I could be out and
about, so long as I didn't push things too fast.  But, I'm at loose
ends as to what I could be doing."

"Hm." R'tal looked at him for a moment, considering. "Well, there's watch-riding, though that's hardly scintillating for a rider of working age, I know. We might try you on sweeps once you get comfortable with what you're doing; it gets you doing actual work without the urgency of what happens if you need to take an extra minute or two. Or, in the meantime there's-- hang on." He turned to look for the paper he wanted. Fortunately, thanks to Margana, it was easy to find. "Here we go. Candidate trip happening in a couple of sevendays. They wanted riders to accompany."

Jerzy Tobin

Again, whilst he might have been mortified to know it, there was that almost pitying look in R'tal's eyes. Fighting with one leg, perhaps, in time, but when you couldn't use both your hands?

Still, there was no point taking away the poor man's hope.

"I'll think on it," he promised. "In the meantime, what's your situation with the Healers? Are you fully on rest or do you need occupying?"
Well, that was fair. And there was plenty of time to figure out that
bridge when they came to it. N'yx wasn't ready to give up on the hope
of returning to fight Thread, if not soon, then at least someday down
the line.

"The healers seem to think I'm doing a lot better than when I first
came," N'yx answered. "Seems your southern sun does wonders for
problems brought on by too much cold. They said I could be out and
about, so long as I didn't push things too fast. But, I'm at loose
ends as to what I could be doing."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

"Pretty sure there's a saying somewhere about wide nets catching
better fish or something like that," N'yx mused.  "I just didn't want
to step on someone's toes and offend the healers if I ended up
stealing someone away from them.  I can definitely talk to them first.
Could be they could point some likely fellows in my direction, that I
could tend an invitation to to start with."

He leaned back in the chair, satisfied with that plan.  The relaxed
pose lasted only a moment, as a few seconds later he was leaning
forward again.  "Eventually, I'd like to look into ways of returning
to active duty in full.  If you have any thoughts on how to proceed,
I'd be all ears, Sir."

Again, whilst he might have been mortified to know it, there was that almost pitying look in R'tal's eyes. Fighting with one leg, perhaps, in time, but when you couldn't use both your hands?

Still, there was no point taking away the poor man's hope.

"I'll think on it," he promised. "In the meantime, what's your situation with the Healers? Are you fully on rest or do you need occupying?"

Jerzy Tobin

"Well, we wipe out half their apprentice stock most Hatchings. They should be used to it by now," R'tal said pragmatically as though K'ren hadn't occasionally complained of exactly that. "Besides, they occasionally get one that the craft doesn't suit for whatever reason. But if that worries you, by all means try the Candidates. Or the staffers even."

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 9:25 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> R'tal was quiet for a minute, thinking that through.
>
> "I've not got a problem with that," he said after a long moment. "But you are going to need to find the right person. Anyone who has a personality that doesn't quite gel - it's going to become more abrasive very quickly." He paused, considering it. "Why don't you start by asking for help with washing Ostibeth? Whether you need it or not. Ask the Healers to send you some apprentices or whatever - you might find someone through that you could work with without them knowing you were considering them."

N'yx felt a surge of elation run through him.  Yes!  R'tal wasn't
going to dismiss this out of hand as a fool's dream, and N'yx latched
onto that like the lifeline that it was.  He nodded as he listened to
R'tal's suggestions.

"That makes sense.  And it's not as if I'm on a deadline, and need to
rush or something.  Finding the right person is going to take time,
and right now, time I have in plenty," N'yx sighed.  "But...a healer
apprentice?  Wouldn't the Healers begrudge me stealing an apprentice
from them, Sir?"

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

[...]

So, there's something things that I was thinking about, both short
and long term, that tie into each other.  Obviously, I'm not flying
Fall, nor will I be for quite some time."  There was an ache in his
voice that said just how badly that weighed on him; that it might
before forever was something he didn't want to consider.  Not yet.
"But, I'm hoping that maybe we can work out some sort of solution down
the line that can see us back in active duty, in some capacity at
least.  And, in the meantime, there are still regular duties, like
sweep riding and the like that even one handed I could still do.

But - and this is the first thing I really wanted to ask you about -
is that even sweep riding and non-combative duties require maintaining
flight gear and straps, something I am going to have more than a
little trouble with.  I was wondering if it's allowable to...well,
take on an assistant, I guess I would call them?  Someone to help me
out with straps, and harnessing Ostibeth, and maybe going out with us
on sweeps and the like?"

He had briefly thought of the idea of having a partner to help him
during Threadfall, but both he and Ostibeth had tossed that idea out
just as promptly.  It was all a rider could do to keep track of his
dragon and himself; if a second person with them got hit, there'd be
no real way to keep track of it the way Dragon and Rider did through
their bond.

R'tal was quiet for a minute, thinking that through.

"I've not got a problem with that," he said after a long moment. "But you are going to need to find the right person. Anyone who has a personality that doesn't quite gel - it's going to become more abrasive very quickly." He paused, considering it. "Why don't you start by asking for help with washing Ostibeth? Whether you need it or not. Ask the Healers to send you some apprentices or whatever - you might find someone through that you could work with without them knowing you were considering them."

Jerzy Tobin

"All right then." R'tal leaned back in his chair. Despite his best efforts to hide it there was still something in his expression between sympathy and pity. Everyone knew that it just took one bad Fall to end up like N'yx. Mostly people just flew their whole lives trying to forget it. "Let's hear it. Sit down -- would you like a drink?"
"Thank you," N'yx said, taking the offered seat, "and no, thank you.
I just had something before coming, and I don't want to take up too
much of your non-existant time."

He paused for a moment to gather his thoughts, then launched right in.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 11:50 PM Jerzy Tobin <jerzytobin@...> wrote:
> There rarely was an actual quiet moment at R'tal's office. Seeing him usually involved a certain amount of questioning by the bluerider he had stationed just outside to deter the timewasters and even then being told to wait if not outright being put off for another day. Eventually though he was waved in and R'tal smiled at him over the desk.
>
> "How are you finding the Weyr?"

"Pretty well, thank you, Sir.  I think it helps that I grew up in
Igen, even though I Impressed in High Reaches.  I'm getting used to
the heat a lot faster, though the humidity is something to get used
to," N'yx said as he saluted R'tal.  "I don't mean to steal your
valuable time, but I had something that I'd like to discuss with you,
if possible."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Jerzy Tobin

There rarely was an actual quiet moment at R'tal's office. Seeing him usually involved a certain amount of questioning by the bluerider he had stationed just outside to deter the timewasters and even then being told to wait if not outright being put off for another day. Eventually though he was waved in and R'tal smiled at him over the desk.

"How are you finding the Weyr?"
"Pretty well, thank you, Sir. I think it helps that I grew up in
Igen, even though I Impressed in High Reaches. I'm getting used to
the heat a lot faster, though the humidity is something to get used
to," N'yx said as he saluted R'tal. "I don't mean to steal your
valuable time, but I had something that I'd like to discuss with you,
if possible."

Whizzy: Jerzy
Aim: Yue146

Laura Walker

The brownrider threaded his way through the tunnels and passages to
where R'tal's office was, hoping to catch the man at a quiet moment.

There rarely was an actual quiet moment at R'tal's office. Seeing him usually involved a certain amount of questioning by the bluerider he had stationed just outside to deter the timewasters and even then being told to wait if not outright being put off for another day. Eventually though he was waved in and R'tal smiled at him over the desk.

"How are you finding the Weyr?"

Jerzy Tobin

The hardest part about losing his arm was the fact that both he and
Ostibeth were kept from flying Fall. It was one thing to be kept out
while convalescing and what not, but the idea of never being able to
return, just because of the loss of *half* an arm, when Ostibeth was
hale and healthy, just sat sour with N'yx. Surely, surely there was
*something* that could be done. He had a few thoughts simmering away
on the matter, too. He'd let them simmer while getting settled into
this new Weyr and getting used to things. Constant checks with the
Healers and reacclimating to the heat and everything that came with
it.

It was after a Fall, once things had quieted down, at Ostibeth's
urging, N'yx finally worked up the nerve to go and actually talk to
someone about those ideas. The brown wanted to be back in the air,
even more than N'yx did. Surely there was something, anything they
could do to fly Fall again. And the man to see about it was the one
they'd met with upon transferring - R'tal. N'yx had been impressed
with the man when he'd met him, and had continued to hear good things
about him. So he figured if anyone was going to actually listen to
him, it would be R'tal.