Topics

(Clutching) Why Kassia Missed Her Party atten: Foreth/Truenoth/Talith/Mendl #clutching Part 7 #clutching

sailyn2

“What’d I miss?” Kassia asked, emerging from the temporary weyr with glasses of juice for each of them. She’d changed into a much lighter sundress and looked a lot more comfortable.

She was just reaching to hand over one of the glasses to Mendl when a flash of gold color caught her out of the corner of her eye. “Oh Faranth, you laid another one,” she gasped. A wide smile broke out over her face. “Congratulations, my love. She’ll be beautiful.”

((Only the worthy can try to have her,)) Foreth said, shuffling around the eggs so that all were hidden except the gold egg which had a place of pride.

She wasted no time before she was moving back into position for the next egg.

Mendl wanted to shout, but that would be so unbecoming. But she couldn’t keep the excitement from her voice.

“I can’t believe that I was here to witness that!” she said, her voice hoarse with emotion. “It’s just so...it makes up for the others, in looks anyway, doesn’t it?” And really, with the gold egg there, were the others really that ugly?

“They’re kind of growing on me, y’know?”

((THEY’RE NOT UGLY!)) Foreth’s response was swift and harsh in both of their heads. Then she swung her body around so that she was hiding the next egg she was laying.

“No, no of course not!” Kassia soothed. “They’re beautiful, including your beautiful daughter. Can we please see the next egg?”

((NO!)) Foreth’s eyes whirled in irritation.

Oops. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for her to hear...they aren’t ugly. Just unusual, like their mother.” Mendl felt bad. She didn’t want to upset Kassia’s dragon. Or Kassia. This was the first time she could remember that the two of them were getting along.

“I really put my foot in my mouth this time.”

“No, that was my fault, too,” Kassia said as she made herself comfortable again. “She’ll cool down in a minute.

Meanwhile it was obvious that Foreth had laid the hidden egg and had moved immediately to the next.