Topics

#Gather Harper Open - Shalia "Song of the Hopeful Candidate" (Filk) #Gather

Kevin M

OOC: Based on “On My Father’s Wings” by Andrea Corr (Although the pacing & meter of the second and third verses have been swapped)  Quest for Camelot - On My Father's Wings - English 

Shalia was nervous.  It was one thing practicing, even in front of small audiences of friends; it was quite another to actually go up on stage, with everyone watching and actual judges actually judging you.  Yeah, she was nervous.  Still, with a little prompting and encouragement, she went on stage when called, carrying a stool, followed by Andreya, carrying a flute and Roshan, carrying a harp.

She was dressed in her Candidate uniform, although not the basic one of new Candidates.  No, this was one of the more altered uniforms long-time.  A white blouse that left her shoulders bare with short sleeves, and a vest & skirt both in the horrid Candie Yellow which nobody but a Candidate would wear.  The vest was tight enough to almost be considered a corset, except with buckles instead of lacing, while the skirt was longer than she would normally wear, down to her knees, but she’d wanted to look a bit more professional and a bit less… professional.  Her shoulder-length dark red hair was pulled into a runnertail, tied off with a ribbon also in Candie Yellow, while around her waist was a simple medium blue belt with matching knife sheath (fringed, and with an etching of a frolicking runner), and on her feet were one of her favorite pairs of boots, made of light brown leather, coming up to mid-calf, with a heel to give the petite young woman some much-needed height..

Of course, that didn’t really help much against the young woman who followed her on-stage.  Also wearing the white knots of a Candidate, she was several inches taller than Shalia, and that was before taking her boot heels into account.  Her hair, red like Shalia’s but much brighter, hung in loose, sensuous curls, arranged to fall to the side opposite her flute so as not to get in the way.  Her blouse was Candie Yellow, and like Shalia’s left her shoulders bare, although hers had long sleeves, while her dress was mainly Harper Blue.  The corset-like bodice was a solid color, cut low enough to emphasise her bosom with thin straps going over her shoulders, while the skirts, which belled out slightly and had points going to mid-calf both front and back mid-leg but cut up to the knee on the sides and between, were mostly blue with a floral design in shades of yellow.  She had a blue and yellow scarf around her neck, and the aforementioned boots were tall, dark brown, and had even more heel than Shalia’s boots, while a matching dark brown belt completed the outfit.

The third woman onto the stage wore Harper knots, albeit with an unusual strand of green woven into them.  She wore a long tunic that went down to mid-calf, though both sides split at the waist for easy walking.  The tunic was several shades of blue in a rippling pattern that was reminiscent of waves on the Lake, with light grey pants underneath which matched her eyes.  Her chestnut hair was held out of her face with a pair of dark combs, and she wore ankle boots of a similar shade.

Shalia set the stool down for Roshan, and then stepped to the front of the stage while the Harper harpist set up.  She looked out over the crowd, closed her eyes for a few seconds while she took a deep, steadying breath, and when she opened her eyes again, she had a large smile on her face.  “Hello, everyone!  My name is Shalia, and I call the song I’m going to sing for you today, with the help of Andreya and Roshan,” she indicated each of the other two as she introduced them, “‘The Song of the Hopeful Candidate.’  I hope you all like it,” she grinned.  She looked at Roshan to make sure she was ready, and then glanced at Andreya, giving her a nod to let her know she could start.

The taller Candidate raised her flute to her lips and started playing a slow, almost mournful melody, as Shalia assumed a pose with her head down and hands clasped together in front of her.  Roshan similarly bowed her head down, although her hands were poised on the harp’s strings, ready to join in.  After several measures from the flute, Shalia’s voice and Roshan’s harp joined in simultaneously, both matching the melancholy tune.  The petite redhead looked up at the crowd as she began to sing in a voice that was pleasant but clearly not highly trained, but otherwise she kept her pose.

If you were hatching now

I’d find myself in you

If you were hatching now

Oh my beautiful blue

All the things I plan to do

As the first verse ended, Shalia’s hands came apart, and she now held them spread away from her body slightly, and the music picked up, becoming less mournful and melancholy.

Next time I hope to see

The lifemate clutched for me

And when it's spied

My dragon’s hide

Will be the loveliest thing I see

After the second verse, the music started sounding much happier, almost sprightly.  Shalia’s arms lifted through the first line of the chorus until they were outstretched, hands just above head height, and held them there for the second line.

And I will fly on my dragon’s wings

Hatching is just the beginning

Her hands dropped down to clasp over her heart for the third line,

Meeting you will make my heart sing 

and then her arms spread out once more as she continued, though now her elbows were slightly bent and her hands were just about shoulder height.

And I'll rejoice in your mindvoice

And we will do great things

On my dragon’s wings

The music became serious again, although not as melancholy as at the beginning, and Shalia dropped her arms back down to her sides.

I want to be a rider

The way I know I can

With firestone and flight

There’s Threadfall to fight

We’ll follow our Wingleader’s plan

The music soared now as they went to the chorus again, and Shalia did as well - or at least as well as a ground-bound human could.  She became expansive, arms lifted up once more and her voice lifted as well, and she began dancing around the stage as she sang, looking like she was going to jump down into the audience a few times but never quite making that leap.  Andreya joined in behind her, hips swaying as she played, though she limited her dancing to that, not wanting to take too much attention off the other Candidate.

Meeting you will make my heart sing 

On my dragon’s wings

The music slowed down a little for the next three lines, and Shalia came to a stop in the center of the stage, hands clasped together.

Someday with my dragon beneath me

Flying will release me

I will be free to

Shalia’s arms spread wide once more as she sang the last line and the music swelled once more heading into a repeat of the chorus.  The petite Candidate’s movements were more energetic than the last time, including several leaps into the air, as if she were trying to fly for real, and if her skirt had been much shorter she’d have been giving the front rows quite a show on the downward portion of her jumps… and indeed, a few people may well have been able to testify as to the color of her panties even so.

Fly on my dragon’s wings

From the start until the end

You’re my lifemate, not just my friend

On my dragon’s wings

On my dragon’s wings

With the last two lines she came to a stop, turning in several slow circles, face up to the sky, drawing out the “wings”, before dropping to her knees and bending over, breathing heavily, as Andreya and Roshan played a few more measures before stopping as well.

Once the two musicians had finished, Shalia smoothly flowed back up to her feet, eyes shining brightly as she, as well as the pair backing her up, gave a curtsey (well, a bow, in Roshan’s case), first to the crowd in general and then to the judges.  “Thank you all!  And thank you Roshan & Andreya for helping me out!” she added, indicating each of the other young women as she said their names.  She looked at the judges, wanting to see if they’d have any comments for her before leaving the stage, and a gold flit flew in to land in her arms.

OOC: And yes, please feel free to comment on her performance!

On My Father's Wings (Karaoke) - The Corrs (with embedded lyrics)

On My Father's Wings Karaoke (perfect quality) (using same video)

(Remember, second and third verses are swapped!)

If you were hatching now

I’d find myself in you

If you were hatching now

Oh my beautiful blue

All the things I plan to do

Next time I hope to see

The lifemate clutched for me

And when it's spied

My dragon’s hide

Will be the loveliest thing I see