Topics

#Gather [Harper Open] A Gift of Poetry (Original poem) #Gather

Amy Frazey

Almira had been thrilled to be able to go to the Gather. Even working in the package storing tent had been exciting, with trying to guess what was in the packages people stored there. And she had decided to use one of her several writings to enter the Harper Open, even though she was in no way a Harper, and had no instrument to play. She could at least sort of sing her little song.

And so she took the stage when it was her turn, feeling nervous about singing her song in public for the first time ever, tapping her fingers against her leg to get the rhythm.

A gift of poetry, what a beautiful release.
Falling out of myself and into imagination
My daily, not-so-guilty pleasure
Leaving reality behind for the joy of creation

The blank lines on the page tempt me
A gift of poetry, what a beautiful release.
Thoughts take shape, begging to be set free
Stitching the words together will always bring me peace

When a poem takes on a life of it's own
That's when it achieves greatness
A gift of poetry, what a beautiful release.
To which I am a witness

Inspiration flows from pen to page
And the glimpses of my passionate soul increase
I'm wrapped up in something I dearly love to do
A gift of poetry, what a beautiful release.

And when she was done, Almira gave a little bow, then hurried off stage, covering her face with her hands and trying to just breathe past the excitement and nerves.