Topics

Fashionable Wher's Wear (ATTN: Diagir / Asheran) #whercraft

Jenna Cunningham

Between his craftwork, studying with Ysolde in the archives, and his regular candidate lessons, Asheran was quickly running out of free time. He had had to start his morning jogs earlier and earlier, and had had to cut back on the evening runs around the lake. Even then, he only averaged around five hours of sleep a night. Was it untenable? Maybe ten Turns in the future, but not now; he was riding a high that was equal parts (or more) bucketfuls of klah and youthful determination.

And why?

He had a task before him that he could sink his teeth into: Cremmie needed a bed. Alyx had offhandedly remarked to him that her brown wher had been climbing into bed with her and stealing her blankets, and that the pup needed a bed of his own. And as someone who wanted desperately to be back in Alyx's bed himself, Asheran saw an opportunity to brain two wherries with one rock.

First, he had discreetly made the rounds in the tannercraft weyrhall, gathering up the off-cuts and badly cured practice hides left after lessons, and had even managed to swap a journeyman for a pot of black dye - in return for promising to spend even more of his dwindling free time sharpening the journeyman's knives, repairing his tools, and sanding down the burred edge of the other man's arm board. As uneven as the trade seemed, it felt worthwhile.

Then, with the leather piled up under the workbench he shared with several of the other senior apprentices, he went in search of padding - which consisted of anything he could get his hands on: old shirts that no longer fit him, or were torn beyond salvaging, hair and wool scraped off hides in the morning, strawgrass, even bucket after bucket of sand dredged up from the lake and left to dry until it was fine silt.

After a seven-day of dutiful hoarding, he was ready to get started, and had holed himself up in the weyrhall one evening. Stitching the bed had been easy - thick leather cord through punch holes in the hide, nice and tight to keep the padding guts from leaking out, until he had a large circular bed fit for a grown wher. The black dye hadn't been able to hide every blotch, and had created some of its own in the process, and the padding was lumpy and uneven, but it was comfortable enough (if you were a wher, anyway) and, more importantly, it was durable and tough.

But it wasn't enough.

Fingering a long, thick strip of leather leftover from the bed-making process, Asheran found himself holding it up to his face, shaping the leather into a hump over his nose, imagining what it could be - what he had seen, from a distance, other whers wearing while out and about in the daytime. He didn't have the first clue about actually making a pair of goggles, though, and his face was a poor stand-in for a wher's craggy snout, so he gathered up a few loose bits of parchment, a charcoal tipped writing tool, and the loose leather strap, and made his way toward the whercraft weyrhall by glowlight, in search of a certain senior journeyman.

Ren

Diagir had been working on his own schematics for the wher goggles but sat with a frown, not liking what he was coming up with at each new design. It didn't help that he didn't have anything to help out in his endeavor, no materials to make prototypes and just sketches to go off of. For Asheran, it would have been relatively easy to find the senior journeyman since his den was well-marked by his name. Ziya had rubbed herself all over the door as a pup and kept at it as an adult, so the door would be worn smoother at the bottom as a result.
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran found the marked door eventually, and stopped in front of it. He looped the strip of leather around his arm and shoulder, then knocked smartly.

"Apprentice Tanner Asheran, sir. I've got a few questions about whers if you have the time to see me."

This evening he wasn't a candidate. He wanted to speak crafter to crafter.

Ren

"I've got time for anyone with questions on whers," Diagir stated while opening the door, curiously looking down at the crafter... candidate?... before him. "What's your question, son? Or is this going to take time that you'd rather come in? I promise mine won't bother you, they're in their dens."
--
Ren's Riders: Arialae, D'cul (AWLM), F'liau, L'nel, L'nix, L'yall, N'met (DH), Ran'omi, R'vbor, S'dren, Talena (ACM), T'eko, T'mah, Vofali (Searchrider), W'rian, Zyreai (Healer), F'lo (FF Weyrling), V'riu (FF Weyrling), S'lion (MD Weyrling)

Ren's Crafters: Diagir (Whercraft), Reitz (Whercraft), Torinael (Healer)

Are you afraid of the dark? Come play in the Shadow...

Jenna Cunningham

"I was working on a... commission for somebody, for their wher," Asheran began after a moment, deciding 'commission' sounded better than 'makeshift bed' - and then unwound the strap of leather he'd secured around his arm and shoulder. He held it up, as if talking shop were the most natural thing in the world - right out here in the hallway. Maybe he'd had too much klah after all. "And I had spare hide. I thought I'd try to make those goggles I see on the wher around the Weyr occasionally, but - it's, ah, not as easy as it looks. I don't know how to shape it for their face, to start. And if the wher is growing, how do you fit it for him? I thought, maybe, I could put in hooks and loops, like spacers, so you could widen it as he grew, but I don't know that that'd be comfortable."

For all he knew, this was proprietary stuff, anyway.

Ren

"You wanted to make your own wher goggles?" Diagir asked curiously. "Why? ... No. That's not the right question, I can imagine why. Come on in, lad. Please. I will happily discuss this with you." He gestured into his den with a look in his eye. It was eager but also like he'd had his own idea. That wasn't far off since he'd been in the process of fitting the new rubber on a lens using Diagirsk as a model.