Topics

Slow Down, You Crazy Child (N'met, Ides)

Ren

It had been quite the day in the dragon infirmary, dealing with more firelizards than he'd ever seen in his life after they'd encountered downright wacky situations. N'met doubted that he would ever understand the little beasties fully. All that he knew was he had a nice hot bath waiting for him and he didn't plan on missing that date. N'met's eyes unfocused as he walked to speak to Abartth and ask the old brown to meet him at the entrance of the dining hall- he'd earned a drink and a meatroll.

N'met's thoughts were interrupted as he rounded a corner and ran full-on into someone.

"Oof! Hey there, sorry about that," he apologized in his deep voice. "Talking to my dragon and I missed you there." His eyes raked over the other and paused on the man's knots. "Alright there, bronzerider? ... I'des of Sunstreath, ain't it?" The names came partly from Abartth and partly from an old hidebound tradition of knowing all bronzeriders in a Weyr.

Steelsilver

"Shards!" I'des yelped, startled out of his own thoughts and the sort of argument with Sunstreath taking a pause. "Sorry, I didn't- huh, what? Yeah, that's me. How did you know?"

((Mine. Are you coming?)) --Shardit, Sunny, *no*. You're clean and scrubbed nice. You can wait a little longer.--

--
Sent from my phone!

Ren

"I've memorized all the bronzeriders in this Weyr," N'met answered. "But if that wasn't the case, my Abartth would let me know."

The old brown turned his muzzle to look at the fussy bronze and had to laugh to himself. {{Mighty fine hide ya got there, son. Rider takes good care of you.}}

Steelsilver

"I- oh. Thanks?" I'des responded, a bit at a loss. "Sorry- I didn't see you there. You are...?"

Sunstreath didn't respond verbally, but the bronze's neck arched proudly, and he shifted so the last rays of the evening sun caught his hide. ((I am the finest of bronzes.))

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:04 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
"I've memorized all the bronzeriders in this Weyr," N'met answered. "But if that wasn't the case, my Abartth would let me know."

The old brown turned his muzzle to look at the fussy bronze and had to laugh to himself. {{Mighty fine hide ya got there, son. Rider takes good care of you.}}

Ren

"N'met of Abartth," the old man replied with a smile and salute. "It's just fine. I didn't hurt you, did I?"

{{It shows,}} Abartth hummed in agreement, even turning his head to get a good look. {{Right shiny.}}

Steelsilver

"I'd introduce myself but you already know my name." I'des responded, shifted a little bit. "I'm all right, thanks. Still trying to remember what goes where, here. I mean, direction wise."

Sunstreath visibly preened.

-Sunny. Be nice back.-

((Mine says to tell you that you are a brown.)) the bronze conceded.

"Hang on a minute, please." I'des requested the other rider. -Sunstreath!-

((A fine brown.)) the bronze added, after his rider's chiding.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:43 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
"N'met of Abartth," the old man replied with a smile and salute. "It's just fine. I didn't hurt you, did I?"

{{It shows,}} Abartth hummed in agreement, even turning his head to get a good look. {{Right shiny.}}

Ren

Amartth relayed back what Sunstreath was saying and it made N'met chuckle into his hand. "Your bronze has a big personality. He's a huge character, but that's fitting of his color. I'm new enough here myself that I get lost too. Glad the dining hall is close enough to the infirmary that it's not too hard to get a bite after work."

{{Well that's a compliment from you,}} Amartth was happy to oblige Sunstreath with excessive praise since it made the bronze happy. He had the added benefit of meaning what he'd said.

Steelsilver

"Oh, you have *no* idea." I'des sighed. "And he's just getting warmed up. You know he wants a bath practically every day? Got into the habit in Weyrlinghood, never grew out of it."

He shook his head. "..Anyways. Where were you headed? Maybe we won't get lost if we go together?"

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 6:17 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
Amartth relayed back what Sunstreath was saying and it made N'met chuckle into his hand. "Your bronze has a big personality. He's a huge character, but that's fitting of his color. I'm new enough here myself that I get lost too. Glad the dining hall is close enough to the infirmary that it's not too hard to get a bite after work."

{{Well that's a compliment from you,}} Amartth was happy to oblige Sunstreath with excessive praise since it made the bronze happy. He had the added benefit of meaning what he'd said.

Ren

"He does? That can dry out his hide if done too much." N'met's tone was concerned. "You don't think he might develop an itch or something out of it? I was headed down to the dining hall for a meatroll. You're welcome to come with me."

Steelsilver

"I know- sir." I'des tacked on hastily, if uncertainly. "I'm limiting him, even if he grumbles. He can go swimming if he wants a rinse. And I am hungry. I think I'll join you, if that's all right."

 A sigh at Sunstreath's affronted snort, but he turned to follow N'met. "I could eat a whole wherry."

--
Sent from my phone!

Ren

N'met found the bronzerider's deferrence actually a bit endearing. He smiled and nodded with a gesture. "Please do! I might end up having more than just a meatroll in this case. I'm not saying you're taking bad care of your dragon, mind." He guided them on to resume walking to the dining hall. "Long as you keep him nice and oiled then *bewtween* won't b a problem for him. How old's your Sunstreath?"

Steelsilver

"He's twelve Turns." I'des responded willingly. "I'm twenty-four Turns. Impressed my first time standing." He added proudly. " Sunstreath thinks he's the boss a lot of the time, even when he's not." He added. "Hence the occasional disagreement over bathtime. Among other things."

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
N'met found the bronzerider's deferrence actually a bit endearing. He smiled and nodded with a gesture. "Please do! I might end up having more than just a meatroll in this case. I'm not saying you're taking bad care of your dragon, mind." He guided them on to resume walking to the dining hall. "Long as you keep him nice and oiled then *bewtween* won't b a problem for him. How old's your Sunstreath?"

--
Sent from my phone!

Ren

"Nice catch, then, I'des," N'met congratulated honestly. "From your description of his attitude, he sounds like a fine and healthy bronze. Almost ideal, really. Any bronze who doesn't act like he's Faranth's gift to Pern is a bronze I'd be concerned about."

Much more relaxed about the situation and Sunstreath's health, N'met led the way into the dining hall and grabbed a plate of food. "Tell me about yourself, I'des."

Steelsilver

"It's more like he caught me." I'des responded. "Seriously. I've got the scars to prove it." A shake of his head as he grabbed a plate as well, following the other's lead. "I'm Istan Weyrbred. You?"

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
"Nice catch, then, I'des," N'met congratulated honestly. "From your description of his attitude, he sounds like a fine and healthy bronze. Almost ideal, really. Any bronze who doesn't act like he's Faranth's gift to Pern is a bronze I'd be concerned about."

Much more relaxed about the situation and Sunstreath's health, N'met led the way into the dining hall and grabbed a plate of food. "Tell me about yourself, I'des."

--
Sent from my phone!

Ren

"Telgarese myself," N'met answered with a sip of wine. "Aye, the little buggers do get rambunctious at Hatching, don't they? But then when you've been waiting so long to see someoneyou know is your soulmate, it does make sense. Abartth didn't find me until I was 20, so I found myself fairly able to handle the big guy."

Steelsilver

"Arolos is different so far. But I like it." I'des responded. "And I got Sunstreath pretty much right out of the runner's gate, so there wasn't really a waiting period. Maybe a sixmonth, at most, from being old enough to Stand and then Impression." A rueful grin. " No lecture on Pern really prepares you for that moment."

On Friday, April 10, 2020, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
"Telgarese myself," N'met answered with a sip of wine. "Aye, the little buggers do get rambunctious at Hatching, don't they? But then when you've been waiting so long to see someoneyou know is your soulmate, it does make sense. Abartth didn't find me until I was 20, so I found myself fairly able to handle the big guy."

--
Sent from my phone!

Ren

"Look at you!" N'met grinned proudly like this was one of his own grandkids. "That's some luck then. Telgar didn't have many clutches back when I Impressed since it was in an Interval. Granted, they were starting to pick up with the Pass coming up, but Abartth wasn't a result of that. Id don't matter how many times the senior riders tell you about it, you're right. Nothing prepares you for that moment your mind links with your dragon's."

Steelsilver

I'des looked pleased at the accolades, and the bronze rider gave the older brown rider a sheepish grin. "Luck, and being in almost the right place at the right time." He agreed.

"It's the months after that are the tricky parts."

--
Sent from my phone!

Ren

"Aye, but once you get used to the new voice in your head, Weyrlinghood is just a matter of wills and exercise." N'met popped another meatroll in his mouth. "So tell me about your boy. How's he do in Fall?"

Steelsilver

"Wills is right." I'des grumbled. "Think we should have just moved in with the Weyrlingmaster."

 A pause. "He's a good strong flier. We want to get every little bit we can, after all. We'll fly as long as we have to."

--
Sent from my phone!