Topics

Following the Leader (ATTN: Yiyu/Kashara)

Jessica Freise

Yiyu had never thought a kitten could be so much work.

Or so much trouble.

She found herself following a rambunctious streak of black across the bowl one morning, wishing they were more like canines and came when called. Sifha, her darker black stripes stark in the morning light, scampered passed and through legs, over a dragon's tail, and disappeared into a dark opening, her mew drawing Yiyu onward.

sailyn2

Kashara was taking a morning walk when she saw the kitten sprint by and then the human following it. Immediately she turned to pursue.

"Hey! Hey! Do you need help?"

Jessica Freise

Yiyu shot the other girl a greatful look and nodded as she picked up the pace. She ducked unthinkingly into the opening, scrabling in the dark to catch a black kitten that mewed distantly.

"Shards," she breathed, following the sound of her kitten and trusting her new "friend" at her back.

On Apr 8, 2020, at 4:30 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Kashara was taking a morning walk when she saw the kitten sprint by and then the human following it. Immediately she turned to pursue.

"Hey! Hey! Do you need help?"

sailyn2

"Careful, it doesn't look like a normally used passage that way," Kashara called after her. She paused to take a glow off the wall before following deeper into the darkening cavern.

Jessica Freise

Kashara wasn't wrong, Yiyu quickly realized. There was dirt inches thick on the stone floor, not to mention loose stones that nearly tripped her up. Pausing, she waited for the girl to catch up with her glow, then glanced down the tunnel, hoping to see a darker shadow.

"I'm sorry, I have to get her," she explained when no kitten was was forthcoming.

On Apr 8, 2020, at 4:37 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"Careful, it doesn't look like a normally used passage that way," Kashara called after her. She paused to take a glow off the wall before following deeper into the darkening cavern.

sailyn2

"I'll come help." Not for the first time she wished that she'd taken up her mother's frequent offer of a flit, but there never seemed to be a right time. Just then she would have loved one to send one ahead. Instead they moved farther into the underused cavern. She didn't see anything that looked unstable. Yet.

Jessica Freise

"Thank you," Yiyu panted as she scrambled down the tunnel, calling a little forelornly for Sifha.

On Apr 8, 2020, at 4:46 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"I'll come help." Not for the first time she wished that she'd taken up her mother's frequent offer of a flit, but there never seemed to be a right time. Just then she would have loved one to send one ahead. Instead they moved farther into the underused cavern. She didn't see anything that looked unstable. Yet.

sailyn2

The light from the outside grew smaller and smaller as they went along until they turned a corner and all the light they had was from a few glows left nearby and the one in Kashara's hand. She grabbed another from the wall.

"Wait, take this," she called to the girl.

Jessica Freise

Turning swiftly, Yiyu accepted the glow with a small, worried smile. "Thank you," she remembered to say before turning back down the turn.

On Apr 8, 2020, at 4:59 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

The light from the outside grew smaller and smaller as they went along until they turned a corner and all the light they had was from a few glows left nearby and the one in Kashara's hand. She grabbed another from the wall.

"Wait, take this," she called to the girl.

sailyn2

"We should probably not go much further though," Kashara said, hanging back. "Are you sure she's even up there?"

Jessica Freise

Yiyu hesitated for just a moment. "I could swear I heard her come this way," was her quiet answer. She couldn't lose the little life that depended on her, no matter how much trouble she might be. She turned for a moment, then swung back, away from Kashara.

"I'll just go a little further," she promised, stepping into the weak light cast by Kashara's own glow and then out of it into the unknown.

On Apr 8, 2020, at 5:06 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"We should probably not go much further though," Kashara said, hanging back. "Are you sure she's even up there?"

sailyn2

Kashara started afterwords when the rocks around her began to shake slightly. "Uh...I think we'd better..."

Jessica Freise

The rumbling grew louder, masking Kashara's call. Yiyu turned, thinking to return to the other's side, but found herself blocked as stones, dirt, and rubble tumbled down in front and around her.

On Apr 8, 2020, at 5:14 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Kashara started afterwords when the rocks around her began to shake slightly. "Uh...I think we'd better..."

sailyn2

"Feck!" Kashara dropped her glow and had to go scrambling for it. She grabbed it and held it tight. Raising her voice, she called, "You okay in there?"

Jessica Freise

The dark-haired girl coughed hard a few times before she called back, voice almost lost, "Yes, but I don't see a way out."

On Apr 8, 2020, at 5:24 PM, sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"Feck!" Kashara dropped her glow and had to go scrambling for it. She grabbed it and held it tight. Raising her voice, she called, "You okay in there?"

sailyn2

Kashara leaned as close to the pile of rubble blocking the way as she dared and tried to look. She couldn't see her way through.  "Just...just stay here. I'll find someone."

Jessica Freise

Yiyu sat down hard and curled her knees to her chest. She listened to the sound of a few rocks settling as muffled footsteps went away. Kashara wasn't wasting time.