Topics

You Need A(nother) Helper atten: R'tal/Kassia


sailyn2
 

Kassia was sick of people. It was only part way through the day, but it'd been a long once since she'd had to storm into the Dining Hall to the remnants of her daughter's party the night before. She'd talked to her daughters and Nayari. Also on her list was one more.

She was nice. She showed up at R'tal's office door bearing wine.

"Can we talk?"


Laura Walker
 

R'tal eyed her warily, spotted the wineskin and groaned. "Oh Faranth, what have you done to M'gal?" he demanded.


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:04 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Kassia was sick of people. It was only part way through the day, but it'd been a long once since she'd had to storm into the Dining Hall to the remnants of her daughter's party the night before. She'd talked to her daughters and Nayari. Also on her list was one more.

She was nice. She showed up at R'tal's office door bearing wine.

"Can we talk?"



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

"Nothing," Kassia said with feigned cheerfulness. She gestured at Brogan to stay by the door. If R'tal was ever to become the one she needed protecting from, things were a lot worse off than Brogan would be able to fix. Then again she hadn't given him her proposal yet.

Shewent over and made herself at home, sitting down on the other side of his desk and putting the wine on the desk. She looked around. "You could use another helper."


Laura Walker
 

"I could-- oh, oh, that's where this is going?" R'tal was searching for her motive and thought he had found it. He frowned, sitting down opposite Kassia. "You're not having her. I need her."


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:24 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"Nothing," Kassia said with feigned cheerfulness. She gestured at Brogan to stay by the door. If R'tal was ever to become the one she needed protecting from, things were a lot worse off than Brogan would be able to fix. Then again she hadn't given him her proposal yet.

Shewent over and made herself at home, sitting down on the other side of his desk and putting the wine on the desk. She looked around. "You could use another helper."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

Kassia frowned, then cottoned on. She waved her hands at him and shook her head. "No, no. You keep her. I mean someone for the *really* boring stuff. It seems that Shalia and Sarati have had too much time on their hands. Sarati lead a drunken party the other night and even if she doesn't officially live here most of the time, she could do for some punishment. I was hoping you could give her some work to make her time here miserable."


Laura Walker
 

Well, it wasn't what he'd expected. R'tal took a moment to consider and then shook his head.

"No," he said, but at least it was a little less abrupt this time. "Sorry, no. I really *need* Margana. Sticking a Lady Holder-to-be in my office just messes up the pecking order and after she's had a baby I'm not having her taking it into her head that she needs a longer break." He gestured to the files. "I'd never find anything again for a start!"

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:32 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kassia frowned, then cottoned on. She waved her hands at him and shook her head. "No, no. You keep her. I mean someone for the *really* boring stuff. It seems that Shalia and Sarati have had too much time on their hands. Sarati lead a drunken party the other night and even if she doesn't officially live here most of the time, she could do for some punishment. I was hoping you could give her some work to make her time here miserable."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

Kassia frowned at him and started to take her wine bottle back. "What about...would you take Shalia? No pecking order there. I don't care what you make her do. Make her hold the baby. Make her change it every diaper? Have her stand in the corner telling you jokes. I don't care."


Laura Walker
 

"What did *Shalia* do?" R'tal asked, and waved a hand. "Fine, if it makes you happy," he surrendered. "I've not had anyone to fetch klah since Dyrina Impressed." He sighed in remembered mournfulness. "I miss that kid."


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 10:53 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kassia frowned at him and started to take her wine bottle back. "What about...would you take Shalia? No pecking order there. I don't care what you make her do. Make her hold the baby. Make her change it every diaper? Have her stand in the corner telling you jokes. I don't care."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

"She aided and abetted," Kassia grunted. "Sat there while Sarati basically opened the stores. I have to yell at the staffers dumb enough or greedy enough to provide the wine that she bought for the entire Dining Hall."


Laura Walker
 

R'tal sighed. "While I hate to point this out, being that I am not in a position where my opinion affects anything at all _and do not wish to be_," he said, putting a heavy stress on those last words, "is you punishing the next Lady Holder going to propel the Weyr into a political incident? She's not exactly just your daughter any more."


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:03 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"She aided and abetted," Kassia grunted. "Sat there while Sarati basically opened the stores. I have to yell at the staffers dumb enough or greedy enough to provide the wine that she bought for the entire Dining Hall."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

"Given what she did, I'm not sure they're going to mind so much," Kassia replied. Some of the 'Weyrwoman' cracked in her and she waved. "Give me glasses. I need wine. I walked in on her and Shalia in bed together. And this is after they apparently went stripping in the Dining Hall last night."


Laura Walker
 

"Oh. Oh Faranth." R'tal did not fetch glasses. He put his head in his hands and shut his eyes instead. "Thank you so much for sharing that mental picture. You realise in my head they're both still five and cute?"


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:19 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"Given what she did, I'm not sure they're going to mind so much," Kassia replied. Some of the 'Weyrwoman' cracked in her and she waved. "Give me glasses. I need wine. I walked in on her and Shalia in bed together. And this is after they apparently went stripping in the Dining Hall last night."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

"You're not the one who *walked in* on them!" Kassia threw up her hands. "It's not my fault they're supposedly adults. Shalia has two brats now, you know?"


Laura Walker
 

"Wait, two?" R'tal lowered his hands from his face. "I mean I saw she was--" he mimed a pregnant stomach "but how'd she have time to have *two*?"


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:26 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"You're not the one who *walked in* on them!" Kassia threw up her hands. "It's not my fault they're supposedly adults. Shalia has two brats now, you know?"



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

"They're what?A few months? A turn? I don't know..." Frankly it was amazing that Kassia knew they existed and even she knew that. "But yeah. Somehow she had two of them."


Laura Walker
 

"Usually it takes nine months to even make *one*," R'tal observed. "Shards. You're right. This needs wine glasses. Wherever Margana put them."


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:45 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"They're what?A few months? A turn? I don't know..." Frankly it was amazing that Kassia knew they existed and even she knew that. "But yeah. Somehow she had two of them."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

"For all the many I had, thankfully I never had twins." Kassia shuddered. "Hurry up with those glasses. I'm getting a headache."


Laura Walker
 

"Ugh. She'll kill me if I mess up her system, you know." Very carefully R'tal investigated his cupboards, carefully moving files and trying to put them back in the exact same place. "Would you put glasses with klah? Why would you not bring glasses?"


On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:54 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"For all the many I had, thankfully I never had twins." Kassia shuddered. "Hurry up with those glasses. I'm getting a headache."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


sailyn2
 

"I've got on a lot on my mind, R'tal. Give me a break." She motioned for him to bring the klah glasses. "Bring those over here."


Laura Walker
 

"Wine-mugs it is then," R'tal conceded. He brought them over, setting them in front of Kassia. "You know, I really thought M'gal had sent you to poach Margana for that new wing, the tiny dragon one."

Virus-free. www.avg.com


On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:38 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"I've got on a lot on my mind, R'tal. Give me a break." She motioned for him to bring the klah glasses. "Bring those over here."



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.