Topics

The Art of Dragonhealing (Ambrelli/Yiyu)

TrueTricia

Ambrelli was staring off into nothing again.  She was doing this frequently, haunted by the images of the past.  It was still strange to her, that after all the anger she felt towards Fort Weyr, that she somehow now missed it.  It made no sense to her, and it was the lack of logic that perturbed her the most.  How could she miss a place that she had worked so hard to fight against?  To be truthful, it wasn't the Weyr itself she missed.  It was herself.  Her life there had had purpose.  She'd been united in a cause for something, even if, if she was honest, it hadn't been the glorious rebellion she'd imagined.  She'd been young, and idealist, and rebellions were good at not just causing mayhem to the order of things, but to the ideals of its participants as well.

She knew all of this.  The years since she'd left Fort were nearly as many as she'd spent there.  She'd returned home to Arolos, and yet, she still felt like an outsider.

Because she was.  While her actual actions at Fort may not be known to any outside of the Resistance, the fact that she had been at the very least, a sympathizer, was well known.  Not that she was denying anything if she'd been asked, but then, that was the problem.  She wasn't asked was she? It was all just rumors and innuendos whispered when she wasn't there.  At least at Igen, she'd been with others like herself, fellow warriors in the battle, metaphorically speaking.  But here, well here, she was just met with distrust.  There were some, at least.  But associating with those like her did her little favors.

She had lost track of the candlemarks, sitting at work station in the dragonhealers area.  Her hands were absently working, sewing soft hides together that were necessary for sail repairs, so her time, while her mind wandered into the dark memories of a lifetime ago, was still useful.  Thus she was startled when a Candidate entered the room....

Jessica Freise

Yiyu hesitated in the doorway. The face was unfamiliar to her. Licking her lips, she assayed a smile.

"I'm here for my learning period for today?"

On Apr 4, 2020, at 6:30 PM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

[...]

Ambrelli looked up, her blue and gold eyes focusing on the young girl.  What was she? 15? 16?  Still young enough to not know how rough the world could be, that was for sure.  Ambrelli chided herself silently.  She of all people knew better.  Her parents had died, murdered here at Arolos, when she was that girl's age.  Tragedy didn't know age.  She needed to stop feeling sorry for herself was what she needed.

Slowly, a brown flit disengaged itself from around her neck, the creature's head poking up out of Ambrelli's dark hair.  The flit itself was creamy brown in color, and his eyes fixed on the newcomer, whirling fast.  He gave a soft chirp.

"Perch."  Ambrelli commanded, helping the flit to disentangle before he obeyed, flying over to a wooden perch to watch the two.  Ambrelli then rose, pushing back her chair, wiping her hands on the smock she wore, before turning to look at the girl again, forcing a smile upon her face.

"Welcome then.  I'm Journeyman Ambrelli.  And you are a Candidate, I presume?"

Jessica Freise

"Yes," she answered, stepping further into the room. There was something unsettling in the air, in the other's eyes. Again she touched her lower lip with the tip of a pink tongue. "It's nice to meet you."

On Apr 4, 2020, at 6:57 PM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

[...]

Ambrelli motioned to the girl.  "Come on in.  I won't bite," she wondered if the girl was put off because of who she was, or the girl was just shy to start with.  "What's your name, girl?"

She motioned to the bench off to the side of the table.  "Go on and have a seat."  The brown chirped at Ambrelli and she nodded.  The flit hopped down to the table and walked towards the girl, tilting his head at her.

Jessica Freise

"Yiyu," she supplied quickly. She switched her gaze between the Dragonhealer and the creamy brown flit. Her lips quirked up in a warm smile as she watched him come forward, though inside she wondered just what he was up to.

On Apr 4, 2020, at 8:59 PM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

Ambrelli motioned to the girl.  "Come on in.  I won't bite," she wondered if the girl was put off because of who she was, or the girl was just shy to start with.  "What's your name, girl?"

She motioned to the bench off to the side of the table.  "Go on and have a seat."  The brown chirped at Ambrelli and she nodded.  The flit hopped down to the table and walked towards the girl, tilting his head at her.

TrueTricia

"Well Yiyu, are you just assigned here, or do you have a true interest in dragonhealing?" Ambrelli asked as she went to a cupboard to get the girl an apron.  She returned just as Merck was reaching the girl.

"He wants you to pet him.  He's a glutton for attention."  The flit turned his head back to his human before looking back at the girl and chirping encouragement and agreement.

Jessica Freise

Gladly, she reached out a hand. The hide was warm and soft, but felt so delicate, around the wings. She scratched here and there for a long moment before she answered the Journeywomann's question: "I have a. real interest in healing them. Learning how they work and helping them through the best and the worst life has to offer."

On Apr 5, 2020, at 8:08 AM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

"Well Yiyu, are you just assigned here, or do you have a true interest in dragonhealing?" Ambrelli asked as she went to a cupboard to get the girl an apron.  She returned just as Merck was reaching the girl.

"He wants you to pet him.  He's a glutton for attention."  The flit turned his head back to his human before looking back at the girl and chirping encouragement and agreement.

TrueTricia

The flit hummed as she scratched him all over, certainly enjoying the attention.

Ambrelli nodded.  The girl's answer was a bit naive and simplistic, but not all that different from her own when she first started.  And probably more honest and true than any other, if she was honest.  "Well that's good then.  There's plenty of opportunities to learn in a Weyr.  Is today your first day, or how far have you gotten in lessons?  And have you any regular healing background?"

Jessica Freise

"I've no healer's background," she admitted. She looked her teacher in the eyes. "I've only attended two other classes. We had begun with anatomy."

She squirmed inside under the other's jaded gaze.

On Apr 5, 2020, at 3:20 PM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

The flit hummed as she scratched him all over, certainly enjoying the attention.

Ambrelli nodded.  The girl's answer was a bit naive and simplistic, but not all that different from her own when she first started.  And probably more honest and true than any other, if she was honest.  "Well that's good then.  There's plenty of opportunities to learn in a Weyr.  Is today your first day, or how far have you gotten in lessons?  And have you any regular healing background?"

TrueTricia

Ambrelli nodded and gave the girl a smile.  "Anatomy is a good first step.  Show me what you've learned.  You can use Merck to show me and name the parts.  He's used to it."

She gave the firelizard the mental direction to let the girl touch and move him.  This kind of lesson was why her father had gifted her the egg all those years ago.  His bronze wasn't able to always be by the girl while she studied, but Merck could.  The brown flit was patient and trusting, which had been perfect for what she needed.

Jessica Freise

Yiyu began a little uncertainly at first. Her hands were gentle as she touched the firelizard, her voice growing in strength as she named the parts. Her fingers delicately extended the left wing as she recited and touch. Her gaze stayed on the firelizard now, her head involved completely in the moment and showing what she'd learned.

On Apr 5, 2020, at 3:43 PM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

Ambrelli nodded and gave the girl a smile.  "Anatomy is a good first step.  Show me what you've learned.  You can use Merck to show me and name the parts.  He's used to it."

She gave the firelizard the mental direction to let the girl touch and move him.  This kind of lesson was why her father had gifted her the egg all those years ago.  His bronze wasn't able to always be by the girl while she studied, but Merck could.  The brown flit was patient and trusting, which had been perfect for what she needed.

TrueTricia

Ambrelli nodded, correcting her occasionally, but for the most part, the girl was correct.  When she finished, Ambrelli smiled.  "Well done.  That's not bad for two lessons."  If she was going to say more, she was interrupted by the flit's chirp, and then looking at her expectantly.

"Yiyu, there's a little jar over on that far table with some flit treats in it.  Give him one before he whines incessantly."  She said it kindly though and with a smile.  "Merck was a good boy."  'Good' was his reward word, a technique she used in training him.

Jessica Freise

Rising, she retrieved the treat. Her dark brown gaze steadied on the flit as she offered it to him carefully.

"I'm ready to learn," she promised both flit and owner.

On Apr 5, 2020, at 6:35 PM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

Ambrelli nodded, correcting her occasionally, but for the most part, the girl was correct.  When she finished, Ambrelli smiled.  "Well done.  That's not bad for two lessons."  If she was going to say more, she was interrupted by the flit's chirp, and then looking at her expectantly.

"Yiyu, there's a little jar over on that far table with some flit treats in it.  Give him one before he whines incessantly."  She said it kindly though and with a smile.  "Merck was a good boy."  'Good' was his reward word, a technique she used in training him.

TrueTricia

Ambrelli nodded.  "Dragonhealing isn't easy.  You're not just dealing with the dragon, but with the Rider too.  You're a Candidate, so you probably think Riders are awesome.  Some are.  Sore are dicks.  And whatever they are when things are going well, they're different when their lifemate is in pain.  People lose their minds and do crazy things when someone they love is in pain, and it's worse when it's a pain they can feel too.  They stop thinking, and they react irrationally.  And in the middle of a Pass, the times when it's bad are more than the times when it's good.  This isn't the Craft for the faint of heart...."

It was a fair warning.  Arolos wasn't Fort, but the dangers and the risks were still real.  Chances were slim the girl would get assaulted or raped on a weyrcall here.  It hadn't been that way at Fort.  But no matter what Weyr you were at or its attitudes, nothing could prepare you for the challenges of trying to calm rider and dragon enough after a bad Threadfall, especially when the Rider was unconscious and the dragon scored so bad he was a danger to those working on him, or in danger of going between.  If a Queen could be called to calm him, great, but during bad Threadfalls, there may be too many injuries and not enough Queens.  She remembered a bad Fall at Fort that was like that.  She hated half the Riders in that damn Weyr, but she'd never, never wish that kind of pain or death on anyone.  Not even Fortians.

Jessica Freise

Something ancient lived in the Dragonhealer's gaze, along with the evident warning and a touch of disbelief. Disbelief, Yiyu understood, was directed at her. Part of her wilted -- or tried to. She refused to let that happen, to look away.

"I can do this," she said simply, steel in her words. "I want to be a help, not a henderence to my Weyr."

On Apr 5, 2020, at 8:54 PM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

[...]

Ambrelli nodded.  "All Crafts or workers are helpful," but she smiled and her tone shifted to one that girls often used when sharing secrets, "but I think this one is the best, most noble of them all."  She draped the smock over the bench next to the girl, before moving over to a bookshelf and removing one of the voluminous tomes.  Carefully, she set it down in front of the girl.  It was labeled "Dragon Anatomy" on the cover, and it's pages were filled with detailed drawings and sketches, well beyond the macroanatomy the girl had recited for her.

"Before we get started, do you have any questions of me?" Ambrelli asked.

Jessica Freise

"How do whers and firelizards differ from dragons?" Yiyu asked, gaze wide as she regarded the heavy toam with undisguised trepidation and some delight.

On Apr 7, 2020, at 8:57 AM, TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:

Ambrelli nodded.  "All Crafts or workers are helpful," but she smiled and her tone shifted to one that girls often used when sharing secrets, "but I think this one is the best, most noble of them all."  She draped the smock over the bench next to the girl, before moving over to a bookshelf and removing one of the voluminous tomes.  Carefully, she set it down in front of the girl.  It was labeled "Dragon Anatomy" on the cover, and it's pages were filled with detailed drawings and sketches, well beyond the macroanatomy the girl had recited for her.

"Before we get started, do you have any questions of me?" Ambrelli asked.

TrueTricia

Ambrelli nodded. "There are many differences, and those between whers and the other two being greater than those between flit and dragon.  However, for the purposes of initial anatomy lessons, Merck will still be an excellent example for you.  He's much more manageable than a full-size dragon, and I also don't have one of those for you to look at.  Once you've progressed beyond the basics of anatomy, and with the other basic lessons as well, we'll start to get into the more detailed differences between the various species on which we work here.  That however, especially with only three candlemarks a day, will likely take quite a bit of time.  I know these are not your only lessons, and I would not expect you to progress at the same rate as if they were.  Nor should you, so that you're not disappointed in yourself.  And with a Hatching so imminent, your lessons will also be tailored to those that are most useful should you Impress.  You'll have nearly 18 months as a weyrling, during which time you will only have those lessons your Weyrlingmaster assigns.  Dragonhealing, above and beyond that, will have to wait.  Therefore, until after this Hatching, your lessons will also be tailored accordingly."

She smiled.  "And hopefully, I won't see you here for another 18 months..."

Jessica Freise

What would it be like, Yiyu wondered. To have a dragon turn its luminous gaze on her and- Her heart rose, fell, rose again.

"I will learn what I can with the time given me," she promised simply.