Topics

Sacharrine Saturated Nightmare (Talena, and CM Nayari)

Nutmeg

Nayari liked to follow up on the newcomers herself. She prided herself on running a tight ship and that meant Candidates and Candidatemasters alike. She had finished with her morning meetings and was on her way back to her office when she saw the new arrival and she stuck her head in through the door.

"Ah, Talena isn't it? How are you settling in?"

OoC: Talena would have seen Nayari about a position so feel free to fuzzy that they had a meeting when she first arrived

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 11:08 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
The transfer from Igen to Arolos had been easy if bittersweet. No one had wanted to see Talena go, but those in power knew that she would be of most help and use in the Southern Weyr. She missed her friends before she even left but had many gifts from them packed away in her satchels... but she also had their warnings. That Arolos was an odd place, they warned. Tradition was s guideline instead of a rule there, and the Weyr itself was populated by mostly the invalid from other Weyrs. How could they be of much use? Talena had assured them that if her candidates were little shits then she'd either whip them into shape or see them back off to the mold growth they'd come from.

When the bluepair saw the weyr they'd been alloted upon arrival, they had to admit it was nice. It was bigger than their weyr at Igen had been and near nice accommodations, so maybe it's not all bad. They'd been absolutely stunned when they'd acquired a free firelizard egg within a couple days after arriving- these things were worth half a Turn's pay up north and down here they were handed out like klah. The green itself had been almost... gross but also sweet? Too cute by far and oh god her energy level was too high! Talena had immediately trained her firmly in line until she was acceptable and was ready to accompany Talena to her first day at work. Talena found her job fairly easy in and of itself- seems overseeing candidates was the same here as it was in Igen. The kids though... hoo boy they were something.

After her first day teaching, Talena found herself sitting in the ACM office with an extremely strong cup of klah, staring into it with a strong grip on the cup.

Florcott on AIM.

Ren

Looking up tiredly, Talena saw who it was and immediately jumped to attention. "Candidatemaster Nayari. I'm doing well, ma'am. These candidates here are... a lively bunch. Nothing I can't handle of course."

ooc: Sounds good to me!

Nutmeg

She had been intrigued by the woman's file when she had come in and asked for a position. Nayari like structure and order herself. Stepping into the room, the gold firelizard on her shoulder peeped a pompous greeting. "Rough day? You're clinging onto that klah like it's going to save your life."

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 11:49 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
Looking up tiredly, Talena saw who it was and immediately jumped to attention. "Candidatemaster Nayari. I'm doing well, ma'am. These candidates here are... a lively bunch. Nothing I can't handle of course."

ooc: Sounds good to me!

Florcott on AIM.

Ren

Temporarily thrown off by the sight of an actual queen firelizard, Telani paused before getting herself back together. "Ah, right. Mostly it's just trying not to scream at these kids. I'm used to my own candidates who also know me and what I expect. It would be entirely unfair if I disciplined these youngsters for not immediately knowing me and what I want. I'm still learning how rough I can be with them."

Nutmeg

"Whilst I do not approve of, nor permit heavy handed teaching, I have no issue with a zero tolerance approach. This isn't a holiday, this is where we have to weed out the wheat from the chaff and ensure that the Candidates who go out on those Hatching Sands are as ready as they can be and most importantly, are fully aware of and ready to accept the responsibility of being a Rider if their lifemate so happens to be out there on those sands."

Stepping more fully into the room, Nayari took a step closer, gesturing to the empty chair in silent request of being allowed to join Talena. "End of the day, it doesn't matter that they do not know you. You wear the knots that say that in the classrom, you are in charge and my Candidate should know well enough by know to understand what that means. I do not tolerate rudeness or insubordination in classrooms. Being here is a privilege and most importantly, an opportunity to obtain an education and understanding of the way the Weyr works. Even if they do not find themselves feeling that Candidacy is suited to them, we can send them back out into the world with basic education and in most cases, a basic Craft application that they can turn their hand to and I do not begrudge anyone who makes that decision."

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 3:54 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
Temporarily thrown off by the sight of an actual queen firelizard, Telani paused before getting herself back together. "Ah, right. Mostly it's just trying not to scream at these kids. I'm used to my own candidates who also know me and what I expect. It would be entirely unfair if I disciplined these youngsters for not immediately knowing me and what I want. I'm still learning how rough I can be with them."

Florcott on AIM.

Ren

The more Nayari spoke, the deeper and stronger Talena's respect and admiration grew. This woman got it, she was speaking words that Talena herself held close to her heart and tried to teach herself. Nodding with a gesture to sit, Talena sat herself while still listening. She took a slow breath when her Master finished and allowed a little smile.

"My land, I don't think that I've ever heard anyone put my deepest beliefs into words so perfectly. Candidate Master, I'm very glad to be in your service now. I think that maybe I just witnessed an off moment today and used that to judge all of the Candidates here. I was clearly wrong if this is your stance. I'm very eager to see just what these kids and my new coworkers can do together."

Nutmeg

Nayari hadn't expected the response and looked a little taken aback, surprise registering on her face. "I'm please to hear that. Unfortunately some might consider me a little hard handed. But I have the best interests of all the Candidates in mind." She had taken the empty seat, primly crossing one knee over the other, ever the image of a Lady. But appearances mattered, even when you were as anal about it as she was. "Some of our... more established Candidate might try to push boundaries but they are still bound by the same rule as those that arrived yesterday. They are not exempt from any reprimand that their behaviour might cause, nor do they get to laze about just because they think they've been here long enough to know it all." Nayari' voice was firm, but not unkind.

"I am a firm believer that hard work, good structure and appropriate reprimand builds character and gives focus. We have a very important role here and with the right foundation, anyone can thrive." She paused, "My door is always open should you have any questions as well. I welcome feedback from my Candidatemasters. As well as ideas and their concerns. I want to know what they've seen that caused alarm. What they've heard about that they think could be a good idea."

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 8:11 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
The more Nayari spoke, the deeper and stronger Talena's respect and admiration grew. This woman got it, she was speaking words that Talena herself held close to her heart and tried to teach herself. Nodding with a gesture to sit, Talena sat herself while still listening. She took a slow breath when her Master finished and allowed a little smile.

"My land, I don't think that I've ever heard anyone put my deepest beliefs into words so perfectly. Candidate Master, I'm very glad to be in your service now. I think that maybe I just witnessed an off moment today and used that to judge all of the Candidates here. I was clearly wrong if this is your stance. I'm very eager to see just what these kids and my new coworkers can do together."

Florcott on AIM.

Ren

Talena nodded while listening intently, eyes bright and eager as she hung off of the Candidatemaster's words. Where had this perfect greenrider been all her life? Here she was stating everything that Talena wanted to hear from a superior and supporting Talena's beliefs. She felt Parath's amusement outside in his sun spot as well as his own mirrored approval. Her blue was also fond of following the rules and doing right, so Marith's was A-OK in his book, too. Talena swallowed a bit before replying.

"Thank you, ma'am. I'll remember that for sure. I find the greatest pleasure in seeing Candidates succeed and Impress, but especially the ones who started out rough and unruly, and then turn around to be leaders and positive role models. Seeing someone who pushed back against you and broke the rules get their stuff together and turn around.... damn. It's rewarding."

Nutmeg

"No one wants to see any of them fail. Even if they probably would argue that if they've been given extra latrine duties for a sevenday." Nayari was using this time to get a more thorough gauge of her newest recruit. "But, at the same time, the reality is that the Weyr has a certain structure and order to things. And learning about that order, that way of life? It starts right here. That's why I drill it home. Because it has to be gotten right." So far, she was moderately pleased - it didn't harm to have another stickler for the rules around. It was far too easy to become complacent and forget that professional line in the sand. "Just remember, you are not here to be their friend. Guide them, mentor them, support them - but keep that boundary. It's an important one."

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 6:30 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
[...]

Talena listened quite comfortably, able to relax with her superior now that she felt that Nayari was cut from a similar mold as she. Her firelizard popped in and settled on her desk before she saw Vicna and gave an excited greeting cheep. Talena turned her head to give her green a carefully stern look and empathized staying still. "Sorry about her, she's... extremely energetic. On topic, I've seen too many youngsters both here and at Igen who think that dragonriding is just a fancy 'look at me' job, like they're some kind of jockey. Yes, we have an important and admirable job, but we also have an incredibly important duty. It's like they don't realize they can die. It's difficult to tell them that without straight-up telling them that."

Nutmeg

Vecna rewarded the green with an imperious chirp and a flick of her head. The gold was not a firelizard of many words but she watched the green with a beady stare.

"So tell them." Nayari said simply, putting up a hand to gentle sooth Vecna and soothe the proverbial ruffled feathers. "This is a situation where honesty is the best policy. Yes, being a Rider is marvellous. Being bound to a dragon is life changing. But so is getting a clump of thread that eats through your arm, your dragon's wing and you never fly again. They don't need to scared witless, but they need to know and understand the reality of the situation. I've given serious thought to having some of our more seriously wounded Riders coming in to give just that talk but at the same time I don't want to use them like that. And there will be some reckless idiots who see a thread burn as some mark of honour."

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:
Talena listened quite comfortably, able to relax with her superior now that she felt that Nayari was cut from a similar mold as she. Her firelizard popped in and settled on her desk before she saw Vicna and gave an excited greeting cheep. Talena turned her head to give her green a carefully stern look and empathized staying still. "Sorry about her, she's... extremely energetic. On topic, I've seen too many youngsters both here and at Igen who think that dragonriding is just a fancy 'look at me' job, like they're some kind of jockey. Yes, we have an important and admirable job, but we also have an incredibly important duty. It's like they don't realize they can die. It's difficult to tell them that without straight-up telling them that."

Florcott on AIM.

Ren

"I can understand them thinking scores are badges of merit since it means they survived, but it's a dangerous game to play," Talena's tone was serious. "If we have the consent of the injured riders, and use the ones who have been injured the most, then they may get it. Seeing dragons who can't fly anymore because of Threadscores may wake them up to reality. If they see with their own eyes what could happen to their future lifemates, it may hammer home the warnings that we give them."

Nutmeg

It was interesting to observe the other woman's line of thought. And reassuring that she seemed likely to be able to put her foot down. "It's an interesting topic of consideration. On the one hand, it feels a little exploitative and on the other, it makes a point far better than simply describing it does." She paused a moment as she considered. "End of the day, this is about making sure they're ready and not just on paper. Yes, we like to ensure that they basic educational skills such as in literacy and arithmetic but this is also about a degree of mental preparation. Insofar as much as we're able to do in order to buffer the significant change to their life that a dragon will bring."