Topics

Taking Advantage ( Namieh / Leodred )

Rogue Kakashi

The Dining Cavern was so damn crowded at this hour, Leodred couldn't stand it.  In fact, it had not taken the young man long to realize that living at the Weyr was liking living at an eternal Gather when you considered the amount of people.  It became outright draining to him to deal with this day after day and soon a familiar dullness started to apply pressure onto the back of his skull, a warning from his own body.

Leodred slipped out the back of the Dining Caverns and began to make his way though the cool, dark tunnels that grew like roots under the Weyr.  By the smell of redwort he knew he was near the infirmary.  He decided to head that way and suddenly encountered an assortment of large boxes.

"What that...?" he murmured to himself when he suddenly heard it; someone was screwing around with one of the boxes... not that he cared, but instinctually he announced himself, getting himself involved like that sharding idiot he had been born to be; "Hey!  What are you doing?"

- Leodred

Namieh had long since decided to spend every spare moment free of the endless litany of chores to explore the Weyr. In her experience, it was important to know the layout of a place and she would never be comfortable until she did. She'd wandered around the bowl, paced through the main halls, peeked into all the public spaces she came across and through any doors not locked. So much was left open, unattended. There was a lot of trust here, something she wasn't accustomed to seeing. People that trusting were either tightly knit or very stupid. She hadn't decided which the weyrfolk were yet.

When she'd come across the boxes piled in one of the tunnels, it had given her pause. A quick glance in either direction told her the hall was empty, and no one seemed to be around. What did we have here?

Namieh knelt behind the cover of the pile, preferring to have the wall at her back than let anyone sneak up on her. She carefully inspected one of the boxes; nothing written, no labels. Curious. Deft fingers pried open the lid, bright green eyes alight. There had been little more than time enough to stick her hand in and begin rifling through the contents before a voice caused her to freeze.

Oh, feck! Namieh wracked her brain for the right reaction, the right words. Bolting to her feet, she laid a hand over her chest and feigned attempting to catch her breath. "You scared me!" She deflected. Not entirely false. "Faranth, my heart is racing! Are you.. I mean, these don't happen to be yours, do they?" Her eyes flashed to the boxes and back. "Kinda sloppy just leaving them here, don'tcha think?"

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020, 6:57 PM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
[...]

Leodred decided to get a little closer and look into the particular box that she had been rifting through, tapping the side of it lightly and heard some jars full of liquid brush against each other within it.

"No one leaves this kind of stuff laying around for long," he replied.  "They ain't mine, but still doesn't mean I should let you take anything."  And why should he?  It wasn't like it was to his benefit in any way.  "What is it anyways?"

- Leodred

"What makes you think I was going to take anything?" Namieh asked, no need to fake the offense she felt. How did he know that? Stupid boy! A lucky guess, she surmised, her proverbial hackles on the rise regardless.

His question made her shrug, transitioning to nonchalant. "Dunno, I only just got a glance at them. Can't really tell until we pop one open though." Unless they were labeled. She bent down and plunged her hand into the box once more, retrieving the simple jar sealed shut with wax. The letter 'F' had been painted on its exterior. "Huh."

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, 12:06 AM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
Leodred decided to get a little closer and look into the particular box that she had been rifting through, tapping the side of it lightly and heard some jars full of liquid brush against each other within it.

"No one leaves this kind of stuff laying around for long," he replied.  "They ain't mine, but still doesn't mean I should let you take anything."  And why should he?  It wasn't like it was to his benefit in any way.  "What is it anyways?"

- Leodred

Rogue Kakashi

"Only a fool wouldn't at least think about it, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt," he replied, conjuring the fakest smile he could muster.  Watching carefully, he let her go back into the box, his interest piqued enough to be curious and happened to notice the F on the jar as well. "Well?" Leodred looked at her, expectantly.  "Pop one, right?"

He had a guess at what it could be, as in his limited knowledge he could only recall one medical term that started in F.  Not only that, but all these boxes had the stink of redwort on them, so they had to be some healer's stash.

- Leodred

Namieh raised an eyebrow at how casually he spoke about what would have amounted to theft, even if it was just speculation. "Are you calling me a fool?" She asked, turning the jar in her hands nearly as far as she twisted his words. "That doesn't seem very friendly."

Though she hadn't truly needed his encouragement, his egging had the intended effect. From her pockets she produced a small metal rasp, one end a blunted point, and jammed it between the lid and pot to break the wax seal. Off popped the top, clattering onto the floor. The unmistakable fragrance of fellis suffused the air. Namieh sniffed, pursing her lips thoughtfully.

"I bet these won't be out here for long," she predicted in a considering tone. The other candidate received a narrow-eyed stare from her, far from trusting. "What's your name?"

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020, 12:32 AM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
"Only a fool wouldn't at least think about it, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt," he replied, conjuring the fakest smile he could muster.  Watching carefully, he let her go back into the box, his interest piqued enough to be curious and happened to notice the F on the jar as well. "Well?" Leodred looked at her, expectantly.  "Pop one, right?"

He had a guess at what it could be, as in his limited knowledge he could only recall one medical term that started in F.  Not only that, but all these boxes had the stink of redwort on them, so they had to be some healer's stash.

- Leodred

Rogue Kakashi

Was he calling her a fool?  Well, if the shoe fit.  He decided not to reply and instead knelt with her to examine the contents of the box.  When she popped the top off of the lid the smell of fellis filled the area, momentarily overpowering the stench of redwort.  Just when he was about to answer her, he caught the sound of various people approaching from what he thought was a tunnel leading the Infirmary, if he recalled correctly.

"My name is let's get out of here," he said, quickly standing up and grabbing her by her free wrist, pulling her to her feet and down another tunnel, leading away from the now much more audible footsteps; by the sound of it apprentices charged with moving the boxes.  He turned to her, speaking in a harsh whisper, "Hurry up, and don't drop that."

- Leodred

Namieh had noticed the clap of footsteps on stone at roughly the same time, jerking her head up in alarm to stare down the hallway. Shells, that figured - always someone around to spoil your fun. First the boy, now this group! She should have known this tunnel was too busy to stay in for long - she'd remember this in future, though.

Before she had a chance to decide on her own escape, the boy had grabbed her arm and Nami found herself dragged down an adjoining tunnel at a run. Gasping, she scrambled to keep her feet, Namieh clutched the pot of fellis to her chest where she plugged the open spout with her thumb. There had been no need to tell HER to keep the sharding thing, but it did give her some amusement that Mr. Let's-Get-Out-Of-Here had the same thought.

Once they were out of earshot of the approaching group, Namieh tried in vain to smother a peal of excited laughter with a look back over her shoulder. "I don't think they saw us!" She announced, wickedly victorious. "Imagine the look on their faces, box open and a pot missing! Someone's gonna tan their hides!"

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020, 11:37 PM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
Was he calling her a fool?  Well, if the shoe fit.  He decided not to reply and instead knelt with her to examine the contents of the box.  When she popped the top off of the lid the smell of fellis filled the area, momentarily overpowering the stench of redwort.  Just when he was about to answer her, he caught the sound of various people approaching from what he thought was a tunnel leading the Infirmary, if he recalled correctly.

"My name is let's get out of here," he said, quickly standing up and grabbing her by her free wrist, pulling her to her feet and down another tunnel, leading away from the now much more audible footsteps; by the sound of it apprentices charged with moving the boxes.  He turned to her, speaking in a harsh whisper, "Hurry up, and don't drop that."

- Leodred

Rogue Kakashi

"Aye and they'd deserve it, too, for leaving all those boxes there," he agreed, slowing down considerably.  After an instant Leodred noticed that he was still gripping her arm and quickly let go, adding an extra step of distance between them.  "Too bad for them that I wasn't trying to be a hero, too, or your sticky hands might have gotten you kicked out of candidacy."

That's right, he had finally remembered where he had seen her before.  She was one of the newer candidates, just like he was, and as such they ended up in some classes together, along with the rest of the new faces.  He held out his hand, expectantly, "Let's see it."

- Leodred