Topics

What Did You Accuse Me Of? atten: Kassia/Ysolde

sailyn2

Kassia stepped out of T'rifoshe's office. She was making her weekly rounds checking on the Candidates and visiting her uncle at the same time.

As she passed through towards the exit, she spotted a some jewels and jewelry laid out next to one of the Candidate's cot. She paused a moment to admire them before heading on.

Nutmeg

Coming back from the bathing pool, Ysolde ran a towel through her hair as she walked. The exercise drills this morning had been tough but sinking into the hot water afterwards had been beyond blissful. Clean and in a fresh uniform, Ysolde felt infinitely better already. She would get her homework, go to the Dining Hall for some lunch and still be back in time for afternoon classes!

As she came around the corner, she stopped, darting back behind the wall so as not to be seen. Why was someone by her cot?! It wasn't one of the Candidatemasters and Nayari was normally decent enough to inform them if there was going to be a bed check. From the distance of several metres, Ysolde could see that the person was female and possibly a Rider judging by the attire. But that was about it. Poking her head slightly around the corner, she watched them, her green eyes narrowing as she waited to see what they would do.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:07 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Kassia stepped out of T'rifoshe's office. She was making her weekly rounds checking on the Candidates and visiting her uncle at the same time.

As she passed through towards the exit, she spotted a some jewels and jewelry laid out next to one of the Candidate's cot. She paused a moment to admire them before heading on.

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

Some days Kassia just wanted to be less noticeable. Or to try to be. This was one of those days as she wore simple riding leathers and had a guard standing outside the Candidate Barracks instead of bringing Brogan with her.

She stepped closer, wanting to admire the glittery objects better.

Nutmeg

Ysolde watched, resisting the urge to burst out. Maybe the person, whoever they were, was just looking. There was no harm in looking. But the non-descript clothing made the hairs on the back of her neck prickle. Keeping back, out of view, she could just about see into her small cot space and most importantly, see whether this person touched her things.

And in Ysolde's cot there were indeed several lovely little trinkets and gemstones, all of which she had either found or bought herself. Her current pride and joy was a small wired sculpture she was working on and had been for several weeks. Tiny beads of amber had been carefully shaped, polished and drilled and were  being threaded onto the metal strands that were taking the unmistakable shape of a dragon.

OoC: Feel free to have Kassia pick something up. That'll be what would set Ysolde on the warpath :P

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:33 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Some days Kassia just wanted to be less noticeable. Or to try to be. This was one of those days as she wore simple riding leathers and had a guard standing outside the Candidate Barracks instead of bringing Brogan with her.

She stepped closer, wanting to admire the glittery objects better.

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

Kassia's eyes roved over the beautiful selection. A candidate could only have so much, but her collection was still impressive. And the dragon-shaped piece was eye-catching. She wanted a closer look. Picking it up, she brought it closer to inspect.

Nutmeg

No, whoever this person was, they couldn't just leave alone. As she spotted them lean over and pick up, out of all things, her dragon, Ysolde felt a white-hot blaze of fury tear through her and she erupted out from behind the wall with an enormous shout.

"Thief!" She bellowed, although it was more than a little tinged with the shriek outrage. "Get your filthy hands off you disgusting scrounger! Thief!" She was sure there would be someone who had heard her, be that other Candidate or even better, a Candidatemaster. They would see this person out on their ear! Racing toward her cot, Ysolde did the only thing she thought she could. She put her weight behind her, hands outstretched and aimed squarely at the mysterious person's side. The intention was to bulldoze into them and maybe, knock them to one side. If nothing else, even a stumble would slow them down. A sliver of doubt worried about damaging the piece that was being held but right now, even that didn't matter. What mattered was getting it back.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:46 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kassia's eyes roved over the beautiful selection. A candidate could only have so much, but her collection was still impressive. And the dragon-shaped piece was eye-catching. She wanted a closer look. Picking it up, she brought it closer to inspect.

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

Kassia's head was starting to whirl around when she felt the impact. She grunted and stumbled to the side, dropping the piece.

"What the shards?" she gasped, her breath somewhat knocked out of her.

From down at the entrance, her guard came running up. He hadn't seen the assault, but he'd heard the yelling and then Kassia and that was more than enough. He reached for the Candidate to try to wrap his arms around her.

Nutmeg

Catching glimps of Kassia's distinctive hair struck a chord of memory as she tumbled headlong to the ground, ignoring the burning sting as she skinned her elbows. But in her shock and fury, her brain couldn't calmly put two and two together. No, it insisted that this person must have been skulking around before and now, she had caught them in the act. "Thief!" She shrieked again, starting to get to her feet again, cursing for the first time that she didn't have a firelizard to go and alert someone to come and help.

She wasn't aware of the Guard until a shadow loomed over and a strong pair of arms grabbed for her. "Get away!" Now her voice was tinged with an edge of fear as she tried to wriggle out of reach. Grabbing at her? Were they going to carry her away? "Thieves" Kidnappers!"

OoC: Let me know when you want Nayari to appear :)

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 4:05 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Kassia's head was starting to whirl around when she felt the impact. She grunted and stumbled to the side, dropping the piece.

"What the shards?" she gasped, her breath somewhat knocked out of her.

From down at the entrance, her guard came running up. He hadn't seen the assault, but he'd heard the yelling and then Kassia and that was more than enough. He reached for the Candidate to try to wrap his arms around her.

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

"Shut up," Kassia snapped, anger blazing in her eyes. Her dagger was on her hip as she turned to face the Candidate.  How dare this Candidate strike her?

"Do you know who you're talking to?" the guard asked, grip tight. "Show some respect."

OCC: whenever you want.

Nutmeg

Ysolde's fury was in full flow now as she thrashed and kicked out at the Guard. "A couple of thieves, that's who! I know I've seen you hanging around here before!" That was what her brain was telling her made the most sense. As she got a proper look at Kassia's face, the notes of memory chimed in. Yes, she was definitely familiar, very much so. Who knew how long she had been skulking around!

When Ysolde had started shrieking, it wasn't Nayari who heard first, but Vecna. The gold firelizard was prowling in the rafters as per usual, looking for a combination of insects to eat and Candidates to spy on. And with a cacophony like that going on, who could miss it. Darting overhead as she took in the scene beneath her, Vecna had erupted into Nayari's office with peeling bugles and trumpets. Initially, all she got was two adults and what was blatantly a Candidate. And then a Candidate being grabbed at? She hadn't hesitated, bursting out of her office and half striding, half jogging down the cots until she came up behind Kassia and Ysolde.

"What is the meaning of all this!"

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 9:25 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"Shut up," Kassia snapped, anger blazing in her eyes. Her dagger was on her hip as she turned to face the Candidate.  How dare this Candidate strike her?

"Do you know who you're talking to?" the guard asked, grip tight. "Show some respect."

OCC: whenever you want.

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

Kassia whirled on Nayari, her eyes still blazing. If she'd been a dragon, they would have been a deep red.

"Your Candidate assaulted me and keeps calling me a thief." She turned back to the girl. "Hold still and shut up if you know what's good for you."

Nutmeg

Whilst Ysolde may not know who her "assailant" was, Nayari was under no similar delusion.

"Weyrwoman Kassia!" The greenrider was shocked, even more so as the woman's words sank in. "Assaulted you? What do you mean?" Her icy gaze landed on Ysolde who was looking less furious and more stunned. "What does the Weyrwoman mean, Ysolde?" If she was angry, the only thing that gave it away was the hard edge to her stern voice.

Ysolde had heard one word. Weyrwoman. In an instant her fury had disappeared like ice under boiling water and a horrible cold sensation made the bottom of her stomach lurch. "But... I... she... my things.... she took them!" She squeaked, trying to explain what she had seen. But in her agitation, all it sounded like was another accusation.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 00:34 sailyn2, <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Kassia whirled on Nayari, her eyes still blazing. If she'd been a dragon, they would have been a deep red.

"Your Candidate assaulted me and keeps calling me a thief." She turned back to the girl. "Hold still and shut up if you know what's good for you."

sailyn2

"I did no such thing," Kassia said, putting her hands on her hips. She looked at her guard. "You may release her."

The guard grunted and loosened his grip. He kept a close eye on the girl, though.

Nutmeg

Released from the Guard's grip, Ysolde leapt back a foot or two out of his reach. Her abject horror was fighting tooth and claw with the blazing fury that was still trying to win the day. Even under Nayari's withering glare. "You did too!" This time it was not so much of a squeak and more like her usual voice. "I saw you looking at my cot and then you reached in and picked up my amber dragon!"

Nayari glanced at Kassia, her cue to give her version of events. "Ma'am? Would you like to take this to my office, or are you happy to discuss it here?"

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 9:19 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"I did no such thing," Kassia said, putting her hands on her hips. She looked at her guard. "You may release her."

The guard grunted and loosened his grip. He kept a close eye on the girl, though.

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

"We can stay here for now, thank you," Kassia said. She bent and retrieved the piece in question and held it out to Ysolde. "I believe this is yours. I picked it up to have a better look. Stealing involves removing something from the premises and not just picking it up to admire what is a very beautiful piece."

Nutmeg

Resisting the urge to snatch it away from the Weyrwoman, Ysolde eyed Kassia with as much suspicion as a runner eyeing a friendly dragon as she carefully took the piece back. "It's still rude to touch without permission." And that was the cheek of it. It felt to Ysolde that it was assumed it was all okay because she (apparently) wasn't going to steal it, she just wanted to take a look. Although her face was tense with the worry of whatever impending punishment she was about to get slapped with, her green eyes were still dark and furious. "Thank you for the compliment. It will be beautiful when I finish and has taken a long time so far. But I don't think you were in the right to pick it up just to look at it. That's why you have eyes."

"Ysolde! That is enough! Weyrwoman Kassia has explained herself even though she did not have to." Nayari's voice was a sharp hiss. Internally she was beside herself. She thought she taught her Candidates better than this! Her face was a stony grimace as she turned to the Goldrider. "Ma'am, you have been assaulted and accused of thievery. I can only assume that you will want to issue your own disciplinary punishment. You can be assured that Ysolde will also receive her own punishment from myself."

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 10:38 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"We can stay here for now, thank you," Kassia said. She bent and retrieved the piece in question and held it out to Ysolde. "I believe this is yours. I picked it up to have a better look. Stealing involves removing something from the premises and not just picking it up to admire what is a very beautiful piece."

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

"Whether I should have touched it or not, you should not have assaulted me. Weyrwoman or not. Nor accused me of being a Thief." Kassia shook her head. "There are better ways to handle this." She nodded at Nayari. "I believe that losing all privileges for two sevendays while performing drudge duties will give you plenty of time to consider alternative ways you could have handled this. At the end you can write me a paper describing these options. You'd better hope I'm satisfied."

Nutmeg

Ysolde opened her mouth to protest but Nayari got there first. "Whatever arguments you might be formulating you can close your mouth again, Ysolde. You're fortunate, no, you're extremely lucky that the Weyrwoman hasn't forbidden you from standing at this clutch, no..." Nayari held up a warning finger as Ysolde opened her mouth again. "... You're letting yourself down Ysolde. And you should be ashamed of yourself. You, who normally prides yourself on such good manners is currently showing an astounding lack of them."

Ysolde kept her mouth shut, but inside she was trembling with fury. Maybe when she had calmed down a little she would admit that she had been a little hasty in her reaction but not yet. Right now she was two steps and a sneeze from doing or saying something that would get her into even more trouble. But it just seemed so biased and more than a little unfair.

"... Furthermore," Nayari continued, "... as well as the Weyrwoman's expectations, during these two sevenday day you have also lost your crafting privileges. I will be sending a letter to your father informing him of your behaviour and during this time, you will instead be assisting myself. You will present to my office instead of doing your Craft. And you will be writing a formal apology to the Weyrwoman." Nayari's face was thunder and if Ysolde was still considering arguing, she thought better of it, biting her lip so hard that she could taste the metallic tang of blood filling her mouth.

"Yes, Candidatemaster." she managed between gritted teeth. Her eyes sparkled with bright, furious tears. And what would her father say, oh, but he would be so disappointed in her. That her Craft would be taken away as well, her chance at solitude was almost too much to bear. And for what? A rude person who couldn't keep their hands to themselves but just so happened to have the right knots on their shoulder. Oh., she could see how this worked. It didn't matter that Kassia had been, in her mind, rude and extremely presumptuous to pick something up that she knew wasn't hers and knew she hadn't been given permission for. No, that was perfectly fine. Or so, that was how Ysolde interpreted it.

Her face was tight, jaw clenched and eyes blinking furiously to keep the treacherous tears under control. She could feel a petulant response clawing its way up her throat and she swallowed hard, determined to refuse it escape. She straightened herself up, correcting her posture with her shoulders back, head held up high. Oh, but how she wished she could excuse herself to her cot but as they were standing right by it, the exit wouldn't be nearly as dramatic as she wanted. "I welcome any reprimand that you and the Weyrwoman see fit." Her voice was clenched and clipped, working furiously to be kept under control.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 12:27 AM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"Whether I should have touched it or not, you should not have assaulted me. Weyrwoman or not. Nor accused me of being a Thief." Kassia shook her head. "There are better ways to handle this." She nodded at Nayari. "I believe that losing all privileges for two sevendays while performing drudge duties will give you plenty of time to consider alternative ways you could have handled this. At the end you can write me a paper describing these options. You'd better hope I'm satisfied."

Florcott on AIM.

sailyn2

Kassia nodded, at least appreciating the response though she could see that the girl didn't actually mean it through her fury.

"Perhaps I shouldn't have picked up your piece," she allowed. "Maybe another time I can come back and have a better look with your express permission, but in the meantime you must learn that you can't react the way you did. Attacking people is expressly forbidden short of defending people in this Weyr. We are being incredibly lenient, though I doubt you believe us. If I'd had my wher with me nearby somewhere, you might have suffered far worse. Learn to control that temper if you want to become a potential rider. Do you understand?"

Nutmeg

That was probably as close to a return apology as she was going to get. Even Ysolde wasn't so stupid... or stubborn as to realise she was being thrown something of a lifeline here. Even if she felt that Kassia was being a tad melodramatic. Attack? It wasn't as though she had come after the woman with knives. The rebellious little thought was rapidly squashed when the Goldrider's wher was mentioned. In the heat of the moment, she had entirely forgotten the bronze wher that the Weyrwoman was so well known for. And even the best trained animal can be unpredictable where their protective instincts lay. Ysolde swallowed audibly, a good chunk of the petulance leaving her features as the gravity of the missing wher sunk in a lot harder than the conequences of giving someone a push had done. Once, up in the North, she had seen a would be runner thief lose the best part of one of his legs to the occupant watch-wher and that had been one of the far wilder cousins that spent its life on a chain.

"My Da has nicer things," she mumbled eventually, her tone now considerably more acquiescent. "Things far more befitting a Goldrider than my silly trinkets. I'm sure if you were to visit, he'd be delighted to let you look over his completed wares." And no doubt let the woman have her pick of whatever she liked if it meant his daughter wasn't considered public enemy number one. Already she could see the look he would give her and it wouldn't be angry, it would be that sad disappointment and it hit her in her chest like a rock and the sudden urge to cry made her lip tremble perilously. She had let her father down, after all her promises that she would be on her best behaviour. And here she'd acted like some... some.. tearaway brat who didn't know better. Fury was fast fading into a deep seated shame and turning into a different sort of anger. She was angry at herself. Here she was, dreaming about being someone like Goldrider Delysia and she couldn't even keep her temper in check. She was angry that she had been such... such... a child!