Topics

A Senior Request (Cremsden/Aruithil)

Rogue Kakashi

Myri's golden tailed wrapped itself around Aruithil's neck, picking up on her owners nerviousness and reacting in her usual motherly and protective manner, even though she was yet to comprehend that nearly choking Aru did not help the situation at all.  "Relax, Myri!" Aru hissed, pulling her tail from her neck.  "All I'm doing it having a chat with Cremsden.  That's all.  A chat.  In his office."

She reached the door and knocked, waiting for the man that had easily become her mentor among all the healers to answer.  "It's Aru," she said after a moment, identifying herself.  Myri let out a squawk, "And Myri."

- Aruithil and Myri

Laura Walker

"Come in, but tell Myri to play nice!" Cremsden called back. He had somehow become accustomed to the fact that his office was no longer quite his office but the place where Bitey felt free to hang out with however many firelizard hangers on he actually had now. There seemed to be about six today which was making stacking files on his desk interesting. Mostly he just had to find big enough gaps between the firelizards to put papers in.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 11:58 PM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
Myri's golden tailed wrapped itself around Aruithil's neck, picking up on her owners nerviousness and reacting in her usual motherly and protective manner, even though she was yet to comprehend that nearly choking Aru did not help the situation at all.  "Relax, Myri!" Aru hissed, pulling her tail from her neck.  "All I'm doing it having a chat with Cremsden.  That's all.  A chat.  In his office."

She reached the door and knocked, waiting for the man that had easily become her mentor among all the healers to answer.  "It's Aru," she said after a moment, identifying herself.  Myri let out a squawk, "And Myri."

- Aruithil and Myri

Rogue Kakashi

"You heard him Myri, play nice!" she instructed her fire-lizard as she opened the door to the Journeyman's Office.  Immediately the little queen announced her presence and took off from Aru's shoulder, flying a quick lap around Cremsden's desk before decided to perch on one of the higher cabinets.  She extended her wings and let out a demanding drill and waited, expecting the other fire lizards to give her their attention.  "Myri!  Oh!  I'm so sorry, sir!"

Aru meekly closed the door behind her and stepped into the room, a sudden and irregular shyness overcoming her.  Usually she was loud and had no problem voicing her opinion on a matter but now... now she felt tongue tied.  "I w-wanted to t-talk to you about... something," she said, her voice nearly inaudible by the time she got to the last word.  No, no!  This wouldn't do!  She shook her head and took a deep breath, "I mean, I came to speak with you about my future here in the craft."

- Aruithil and Myri

Laura Walker

Cremsden clicked his tongue before the firelizards on his desk could react. "Bitey! *Leave* it!" he warned, but Bitey was humming his own song of greeting to the little gold anyway. Cremsden never did remember the difference between another male exerting authority and a gold.

A little belatedly he looked at Aru. "What-- oh *no*," he said, sounding genuinely distressed. "Not you too?"

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 12:21 AM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
[...]

Aru was confused for a moment by the distress on the journeyman's face. What did he... oh! "Oh!  Oh no!" she laughed a little, nerves betraying her.  She shook her head vehemently, "No, not at all... quite the opposite in fact."

She paused for a moment, looking at him.  The words were right there on her lips, they just refused to be free of her.  "I... Well, I wanted to talk about my future.  I know that I started late, and I know it usually takes six turns to graduate to senior apprentice, but... I think I'm ready!  I think I am ready because I'm here, at the Weyr.  I do every day what regular apprentices are learning about in the comfort of the Hall.  And I'm not complaining!  I like this... I like this a lot more.  I want to learn and I want to help people and I think I could help people more if I was a senior apprentice.  I think I can handle more responsibility and... and..."  Once the damn burst it all flowed out.  She kept going, trying to make her point, hoping that Cremsden would interrupt her before she made a complete fool of herself.  Finally she stopped herself, "I... That's it.  I think I'm ready.  I know I am."

She nodded in affirmation, more to herself than anything and let out a deep breath.  "Sorry, for rambling."

Laura Walker

"Well, thank Faranth for that," Cremsden said woth undisguised relief. "Between you and me I hate this fecking time of the turn." The firelizard closest to his arm rolled over, giving and quiet but demanding chirp. Absent-mindedly he obediently petted it as he listened, not looking to see which it was.

"Well, I wouldn't rush to make any judgements about just how comfortable the Hall is," he said a little dryly. "Remember, the Fall always looks as though it's less severe when it's falling on someone else. But you're certainly very focused if a little young - how old are you again, sixteen?"

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 12:53 AM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
[...]

"This time of the turn?... oh!  Because of the eggs?" she asked, curious for more, as usual.  She could understand why; she'd started to wonder how many fellow apprentices would disappear this time around.  The memory of how empty the Infirmary had been after the Tiny Traveller's hatch was still vivid in her memory.

"I'm eighteen actually," she was quick to remind him.  "You were at my nameday celebration in fact!"  How could he forget!  She did her best to keep her reprimanding tone at bay, she was starting to feel like she sounded more like her mother every day.  "About the Hall... You are probably right.  I do appreciate the opportunity that Arolos as given me, though, to learn."

- Aruithil

Laura Walker

"I was -- oh, I was, wasn't I?" Cremsden said reflectively. "Bought you that awful pink drink." It was the same kind of thing Megin seemed to like so he had figured it would be a hit for a teenage girl. Also it was probably more fruit juice than alcohol so safe enough. "Well. Probably not too young then so let's see what you would need." He gestured to the chair across from his desk, the one with a green and a blue curled up asleep on it. "If you kinda use a file to shoo them off rather than your hands, they probably won't bite."

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:08 AM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
"This time of the turn?... oh!  Because of the eggs?" she asked, curious for more, as usual.  She could understand why; she'd started to wonder how many fellow apprentices would disappear this time around.  The memory of how empty the Infirmary had been after the Tiny Traveller's hatch was still vivid in her memory.

"I'm eighteen actually," she was quick to remind him.  "You were at my nameday celebration in fact!"  How could he forget!  She did her best to keep her reprimanding tone at bay, she was starting to feel like she sounded more like her mother every day.  "About the Hall... You are probably right.  I do appreciate the opportunity that Arolos as given me, though, to learn."

- Aruithil

Rogue Kakashi

Aruithil took a file from the desk and did as she was told, shooing the two firelizards away.  As soon as Myri caught sight of what she was doing she took off and flew at the flits on the chair, scolding them for being in Aruithil's way.  Once the young woman sat down, the golden flit settled on her shoulder.  "I don't think that I am too far behind..."

- Aruithil and Myri

Laura Walker

"It's not a matter of not being too far behind, it's a matter of making sure you're entirely up to date in all areas," Cremsden said, already flicking through her notes. "Weyr gives you practical skills sure enough, but the kids at the Hall spend a lot more time being drilled. You might get transferred one day and I'm not having anyone thinking you were badly trained because we neglected the basics. Where would you say your weak areas are?"

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 1:15 PM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
Aruithil took a file from the desk and did as she was told, shooing the two firelizards away.  As soon as Myri caught sight of what she was doing she took off and flew at the flits on the chair, scolding them for being in Aruithil's way.  Once the young woman sat down, the golden flit settled on her shoulder.  "I don't think that I am too far behind..."

- Aruithil and Myri

Rogue Kakashi

She understood his point and while she would always resist any kind of transfer away from the Weyr, she had always known it was a possibility. She put some thought into what he was asking her, "I suppose that it would be the other side of the coin.  I have all the practical knowledge but I lack some of the.. theoretical?"

Laura Walker

"Call it that," Cremsden agreed. "What we need to take sure of is that one day, in the middle of a crisis, if someone bellows a request for a dosage in your ear you don't have to think before replying." For a moment an odd expression crossed his face and he gave a little shudder as though recalling something unpleasant.

And then, like magic, there was a firelizard in his lap. Bitey, who had apparently up until that moment been half-asleep, stood up, stretched and leaped. Cremsden grunted at the impact but automatically steadied him.

"You need to go on a diet, my lad," he told the blue, petting him at the chirruped command and it seemed that the odd moment had passed.

"Eh, yes. Dosages. The herbs which interact with other herbs in unpleasant ways. Come an emergency you'll have no time to look things up in books and you'll be too tired to think so you need to make sure it's held in the part of your brain that doesn't require thinking."

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:20 PM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
She understood his point and while she would always resist any kind of transfer away from the Weyr, she had always known it was a possibility. She put some thought into what he was asking her, "I suppose that it would be the other side of the coin.  I have all the practical knowledge but I lack some of the.. theoretical?"

Rogue Kakashi

She understood perfectly what he meant.  Up until now she'd been given leeway in that regard, though more and more she'd felt the pressure of knowing it.  Though Aruithil had done her best to practice in her free time, she found more and more that she barely had enough time to sleep much less get extra studying.  She was following his every word so when Cremsden paused she noticed, and frowned.  A bad memory?  Aruithil suddenly realized she may not know her mentor as well as she thought that she did.

"Is there a way I can practice?" she asked, eagerly.

- Aruithil and Myri

Laura Walker

"This is one of those things you learn *only* by practising," Cremsden said dryly. "I'll set you a list every few days. You learn them by rote, you practise and you practise more. Get your friends to test you, practice in front of your pets if you have to, whatever it takes until the response is automatic. I'll test you when you're not expecting it too, but the only real way to learn them is to sit down and *learn* them every spare minute."

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 10:03 AM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
She understood perfectly what he meant.  Up until now she'd been given leeway in that regard, though more and more she'd felt the pressure of knowing it.  Though Aruithil had done her best to practice in her free time, she found more and more that she barely had enough time to sleep much less get extra studying.  She was following his every word so when Cremsden paused she noticed, and frowned.  A bad memory?  Aruithil suddenly realized she may not know her mentor as well as she thought that she did.

"Is there a way I can practice?" she asked, eagerly.

- Aruithil and Myri

Rogue Kakashi

The task seemed daunting and Aru felt a prickling tension between her shoulder blades, as if an enormous weight had been put on her.  She wanted to flee but she wasn't a coward, and that emboldened her, turning her expression dead serious as she listened to Cremsden, nodding her head as he made each point.  There was no doubt in her mind that she would do this, and the next time he quizzed her she would make him proud, "Yes, sir.  I'll practice every chance I get! In which area do you recommend I start?"

- Aruithil

Laura Walker

"Eh, I'll do you some lists," Cremsden promised. "Come and get them end of today, I'd try and learn two a sevenday - but remember you're not doing yourself any good if you remember them *just* for the sevenday. You need to make sure they stick."

He studied her expression, and gave her a sympathetic grin. "Look, remember we've all -- " he gestured as though to take in the whole Infirmary "-- had to do this. It sounds terrifying, but we all get through it. You ask any of the Journeymen or Senior Apprentices to check you on them and they'll all remember just the same."

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:05 AM Rogue Kakashi <snail.on.speed@...> wrote:
The task seemed daunting and Aru felt a prickling tension between her shoulder blades, as if an enormous weight had been put on her.  She wanted to flee but she wasn't a coward, and that emboldened her, turning her expression dead serious as she listened to Cremsden, nodding her head as he made each point.  There was no doubt in her mind that she would do this, and the next time he quizzed her she would make him proud, "Yes, sir.  I'll practice every chance I get! In which area do you recommend I start?"

- Aruithil

Rogue Kakashi

Aruithil nodded vigorously, standing up on impulse.  She was a driven young woman, and as daunting as the task seemed she was confident that she could do it because, just as Cremsden had said, every other healer here had had to do it as well.

"Thank you!" she said.  "Thank you for everything you've done to help me get this far.  I don't know if I'd been able to without your guidance."

- Aruithil

Laura Walker

"You'll be fine," Cremsden promised her. "Lot of work ahead, but you'll be fine."

OOC End?