Topics

Jewels In Their Setting (ATTN: Diagir)

Jessica Freise

Yiyu saw the trio of whers first. Her gaze was caught by the glint of the gold, then shifted to the awe-inspiring forms of her two companions: one brown, one green.

Forgetting herself, she stepped closer to the lake. Inch by inch she, moved focused only on the trio splashing at the edge of the lake. Freezing when a heavy hand dropped on her petite shoulder and made her look up -- and up.

Gulping hard, she studied the imposing figure beside her. Automatically, her hands moved to clasp before her, as if she were silently saying 'see, I didn't do anything'. Swallowing again, she threw another awe-filled look at the whers, then refocused on the scarred man.

"H-h--h-hello," she managed.

Ren

"Wonderful, aren't they, lass?" Diagir asked the child kindly. "Have you ever seen whers before? Most who have wouldn't have seen a queen like my Ziya. Now, the most important thing to remember about any draconic is that queens are very territorial. Get too close and they don't know you and they'll get defensive. Some might get aggressive. Don't worry, mine won't because they've been trained well enough. That said... would you like to meet them?"

Hearing her human talking to someone, Ziya looked over to see Diagir talking to a young girl. She waded through the shallow water towards them while keeping her paws in the wet sand, working her fingers gently through the muck. The gold was curious about this young one- they weren't one of the whelps studying at the Wherhold, who were they?

Jessica Freise

She let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. Her glance found the approaching gold and her mixed fear and awe showed plainly on her face, though hope blazed in her dark brown eyes.

"Could I?" she asked, voice a little louder, but still soft.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Wonderful, aren't they, lass?" Diagir asked the child kindly. "Have you ever seen whers before? Most who have wouldn't have seen a queen like my Ziya. Now, the most important thing to remember about any draconic is that queens are very territorial. Get too close and they don't know you and they'll get defensive. Some might get aggressive. Don't worry, mine won't because they've been trained well enough. That said... would you like to meet them?"

Hearing her human talking to someone, Ziya looked over to see Diagir talking to a young girl. She waded through the shallow water towards them while keeping her paws in the wet sand, working her fingers gently through the muck. The gold was curious about this young one- they weren't one of the whelps studying at the Wherhold, who were they?

Ren

"Aye, especially since you asked so nicely and you very clearly seem to want to learn about them." Diagir always enjoyed people wanting to meet and learn about whers and he was always delighted to show his off in particular. Looking over his shoulder, he wasn't surprised to see Ziya standing in the water watching them. "Call your boys over, hm? Someone wants to meet you."

Ziya snorted through the water in happy agreement and stood to her full height. Looking over her shoulder, Ziya trilled at the brown and green behind her before proceeding towards Diagir and Yiyu. {Who girl?} Ziya asked Diagir.

"This is Yiyu, my dear. Yiyu, this is Ziya, my Callamere gold queen wher. Coming up now are my first wher, Northern brown Diagirsk, and Ziya's daughter, green Vainglory."

Diagirsk grunted as he emerged from the water, his massive size a testament to his origin. Vainglory, meanwhile, was quite tiny next to the brown, which showed off her Callamere genes.

Jessica Freise

"I've heard," she started timidly, watching as the whers approached, "that many think them ugly. But I don't."

had she dared? She had. She had voiced her own opinion, a thing that she'd only done once or twice in her lifetime and that had always resulted in a swift and heavy retribution from her father. She gazed on each wher, seeing the differences, the confirmation, the beauty.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:58 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

[...]

To say that Diagir was shocked was beyond. This small timid girl had sad that whers weren't ugly! A wide smile cracked and spread over his face and he gave a laugh. "You don't, eh? Well! You're absolutely in a minority among people, especially young ones like yourself. Most people, like you said, call these creatures ugly and monsters. But while they're not as smooth and graceful as dragons or firelizards, they're downright critical."

Reaching out a hand to his queen, Diagir ran his palm over her muzzle almost tenderly. "It's why I helped star the Whercraft, honestly."

Ziya purred under Diagir's attention and was inclined to give the girl more positive consideration. Vainglory came up to directly sniff the child with a little wag of her tail and genuine curiosity, while Diagirsk kept his distance.

Jessica Freise

"You started it?" she asked, gaze widening as the green sniffed her. Slowly, carefully, she let her hand leave her side and stretch out to the green, careful to keep a respectful distance.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 3:31 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

To say that Diagir was shocked was beyond. This small timid girl had sad that whers weren't ugly! A wide smile cracked and spread over his face and he gave a laugh. "You don't, eh? Well! You're absolutely in a minority among people, especially young ones like yourself. Most people, like you said, call these creatures ugly and monsters. But while they're not as smooth and graceful as dragons or firelizards, they're downright critical."

Reaching out a hand to his queen, Diagir ran his palm over her muzzle almost tenderly. "It's why I helped star the Whercraft, honestly."

Ziya purred under Diagir's attention and was inclined to give the girl more positive consideration. Vainglory came up to directly sniff the child with a little wag of her tail and genuine curiosity, while Diagirsk kept his distance.

Ren

"I helped, yes." Diagir was very clearly proud of that fact. "I'm the first Senior Journeyman of the Whercraft Hall. Athesta is the MasterWhercrafter of Pern and frankly she is so incredibly lucky. But then, she's also far too busy running it to devote that much time to training apprentices, which is what I enjoy. I like teaching people about whers, whether or not they have them. I usually hold lessons in the Wherhall, but occasionally I'll have them outside so noncrafters will get to experience it."

Vainglory was only too happy to lift her snout into Yiyu's hand, purring happily. {Like this one. Give good pets.} Vainglory, not being an Impressed wher, was able to broadcast herself out so that Yiyu could hear her.

Jessica Freise

The feelings, the *words*, simply formed in her mind. She shivered, at once delighted and afraid. When she spoke, it was little more than a whisper: "She spoke to me." Automatically, her hand continued to scritch the wher as she looked up at the man with wide, joyful eyes.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:45 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"I helped, yes." Diagir was very clearly proud of that fact. "I'm the first Senior Journeyman of the Whercraft Hall. Athesta is the MasterWhercrafter of Pern and frankly she is so incredibly lucky. But then, she's also far too busy running it to devote that much time to training apprentices, which is what I enjoy. I like teaching people about whers, whether or not they have them. I usually hold lessons in the Wherhall, but occasionally I'll have them outside so noncrafters will get to experience it."

Vainglory was only too happy to lift her snout into Yiyu's hand, purring happily. {Like this one. Give good pets.} Vainglory, not being an Impressed wher, was able to broadcast herself out so that Yiyu could hear her.

Ren

Crinkles formed in the corners of Diagir's eyes when Yiyu spoke. Her obvious admiration for whers touched his heart and made him happy beyond comprehension, something his three picked up on. Vainglory herself hummed happily with dark green eyes while rubbing against Yiyu's hand beyond happily. {Very good pets! Glory like big much!}

"Did she, hmm? Well, that's actually pretty fantastic. Whers aren't much like dragons who are much more likely to talk to humans whenever they wish. Bonded whers like Vainglory are much more likely than Impressed ones like Diagirsk." The brown huffed in response and nodded. Ziya thumped her tail on the ground expectantly. "But of course, as her highness is reminding me, golds like Ziya are extremely picky who they speak to. I hear, however, that queen dragons with eggs on the sands are more inclined to talk to humans if they're bored, which they often are. I know Ziya certainly was bored when she had her eggs on the sands."

Jessica Freise

Yiyu studied the glistening gold. Her free hand rose, extending hesitantly for her to sniff, should she wish. The information he'd just given her was interesting, and wonderful, but....

"No dragon would speak to me," she said self-depricatingly.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:46 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

[...]

Ziya eyed the hand for a moment before snorting and deigning to lean into the girl's hand. She looked down her muzzle at the child curiously. This small human wasn't afraid of her like most people are. Ziya had to admit that she liked that in a human. {Not bad human,} Ziya admitted to Diagir, who had to smile at his queen.

"I think she likes you, Yiyu," Diagir confided to the girl. "She's normally not one to let people touch her, and I've only ever seen her accept touches from other whercrafters with bronzes or golds. Ha, if Candidacy doesn't work out, we could always use you in the Wherhall." His grin was lighthearted as he said it. "But don't let that dissuade you from Standing. If you've been Searched, that's not just your right but your duty. Just because a dragon hasn't spoken to you yet doesn't mean one won't ever. You're still young!"

Jessica Freise

Scritch, scritch, scritch. Yiyu absorbed his words, nodding to herself as they struck a cord within her. Someone could use her, someone *wanted* her. And duty? She had a duty. It made her smile again, gazing up at the older man.

"Thank you," she said simply. It was something she wanted, no, neded, to hear.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 6:19 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

[...]

"You're welcome, lass," Diagir spoke softly, meaning what he said. "You shouldn't doubt yourself so much, hm? Even if things don't end up going your way, you'll never know how they'll go unless you try."

Ziya hummed in agreement under Yiyu's hand, tail peacefully thumping against the sand.