Topics

Hiding In Plain Sight (ATTN: Rennitz, Any)

Jessica Freise

OOC: I'm leaving this one here. Shall we grab a new thread with this pair? they're quiet lovely.

On Apr 1, 2020, at 4:38 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

Rennitz was very pleased at Yiyu's growing confidence, grinning at her from over her sandwich. "That it is, hm?"

The redhead sat her food down to give Yiyu her full attention. "No matter what, we'll be friends. Even if I don't Impress and you do, I'll still be your friend." She actually giggled. "The thought of seeing you astride a dragon is an uplifting one. You'd look noble and strong up there. I can't wait to see that future come to pass."

Ren

Rennitz was very pleased at Yiyu's growing confidence, grinning at her from over her sandwich. "That it is, hm?"

The redhead sat her food down to give Yiyu her full attention. "No matter what, we'll be friends. Even if I don't Impress and you do, I'll still be your friend." She actually giggled. "The thought of seeing you astride a dragon is an uplifting one. You'd look noble and strong up there. I can't wait to see that future come to pass."

Jessica Freise

"This is my home now."

Quick, decisive, surprising. Yiyu hadn't realized how strongly she felt that one simple thing until now.

"If you Impress, will we still be friends even if I don't?" It was the question of a girl younger than her sixteen Turns. It was the fear of someone who had grown up very much alone and was just now blossoming.

On Mar 28, 2020, at 10:05 AM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

Nodding, Rennitz took a drink of her juice. "You're welcome to, actually. Very, very few actually Impress at their first Hatching, so if everyone left who didn't Impress, the Weyr would be almost empty. I mean, sure, you're within your right to leave since you're not Weyrborn, but they usually offer you the choice to stay."

Ren

Nodding, Rennitz took a drink of her juice. "You're welcome to, actually. Very, very few actually Impress at their first Hatching, so if everyone left who didn't Impress, the Weyr would be almost empty. I mean, sure, you're within your right to leave since you're not Weyrborn, but they usually offer you the choice to stay."

Jessica Freise

"So it's like home," Yiyu murmured, her own plate a very organized affair, foods not touching one another in the circle she made of them. They swiftly found a table and sat side-by-side on a bench.

"I think I'd like to stay here, even if I don't Impress at first." A bold statement for the quiet, dark-haired youngling.

On Mar 27, 2020, at 9:05 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Oh... a few Turns. I'm not sure how many, honestly. I know my parents went back North to Keroon after I was Impressed... I'm sure that I could probably write them to see if they know, but I'm fine just knowing I can still stand." Rennitz walked with Yiyu into the hall and began building herself a plate. "It's not too bad, really. I feel almost like I've always lived here."

Ren

"Oh... a few Turns. I'm not sure how many, honestly. I know my parents went back North to Keroon after I was Impressed... I'm sure that I could probably write them to see if they know, but I'm fine just knowing I can still stand." Rennitz walked with Yiyu into the hall and began building herself a plate. "It's not too bad, really. I feel almost like I've always lived here."

Jessica Freise

She wasn't above giving a wistful look and a small smile to the firelizard. They began to walk side-by-side towards the dining cavern. A tiny seed of hope was beginning to blossom, for both herself and her new friend.

"How long have you been here?" If she'd said, Yiyu failed to recall, though she'd freely admit that Rennitz had shared overwhelmingly with her.

On Mar 27, 2020, at 6:51 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"That sounds great, actually." Rennitz nodded with a gentle pet over her firelizard's hide. "Faranth knows that this one's hungry. Ah, did I never introduce you? This one's Aranck. I got him a while ago from another candidate who's gold had a flight."

Ren

"That sounds great, actually." Rennitz nodded with a gentle pet over her firelizard's hide. "Faranth knows that this one's hungry. Ah, did I never introduce you? This one's Aranck. I got him a while ago from another candidate who's gold had a flight."

Jessica Freise

Yiy gaped, astonished. While her complement was as honest as a clear summer day, she sensed Rennitz was just much so. For a moment, she simply stared, then a smile blossomed on her lips.

"I was headed to lunch," she realized, "would you like to join me?"

On Mar 27, 2020, at 1:30 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Do you think?" Rennitz asked curiously. "We've only just met and you already think I'd be good?" Rennitz felt touched and emboldened by Yiyu's compliment and confidence. "Well, I think you'll be a fantastic dragonrider yourself, no matter what color you ride! I know I'd be happy to have you at my back in a fall."

Ren

"Do you think?" Rennitz asked curiously. "We've only just met and you already think I'd be good?" Rennitz felt touched and emboldened by Yiyu's compliment and confidence. "Well, I think you'll be a fantastic dragonrider yourself, no matter what color you ride! I know I'd be happy to have you at my back in a fall."

Jessica Freise

"We're not so different," Yiyu found herself saying softly. "When I came here, found greens and blues ridden by girls when I'd only heard whispers in my father's hold, it sort of shocked me. You'd make a fine leader, though."

It wasn't flattery, but honesty.

On Mar 26, 2020, at 11:27 AM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Well, I used to be strictly gold for the reason that that's what girls rode." Rennitz's expression was sheepish. "You know, with Keroon being hidebound, so was I. Since coming here, It made sense for girls to ride greens since they're female dragons, too. But then I learned about girls riding blue dragons and it kind of shook me. I'm almost used to it now. But I still hold out for a gold but for a different reason. I want to be a leader. I want to help people here! I want to be someone that the Weyr can see and know that they can come to if they need me."

Ren

"Well, I used to be strictly gold for the reason that that's what girls rode." Rennitz's expression was sheepish. "You know, with Keroon being hidebound, so was I. Since coming here, It made sense for girls to ride greens since they're female dragons, too. But then I learned about girls riding blue dragons and it kind of shook me. I'm almost used to it now. But I still hold out for a gold but for a different reason. I want to be a leader. I want to help people here! I want to be someone that the Weyr can see and know that they can come to if they need me."

Jessica Freise

Choice. Yiyu blinked, licking her lips. She had dared to dream, very privately.

"A green or...a....gold," she said softly, lowering her gaze, embarrassed at her own daring. "What about you?"

On Mar 25, 2020, at 9:53 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

Looking back up to Yiyu, Rennitz gave her a little apologetic smile. "Yeah, sorry. I was starting to get so deep on why we do what we do, or at least why dragonriders do. It's honestly terrifying to think of the way we put ourselves in danger without a second thought. But it's also to protect Pern and our loved ones so it's definitely worth it. Say, have you ever thought of what color you'd want to ride? I know earlier you had doubts but surely you've considered, even for a second, what color dragon you'd fancy if you had the choice?"

Ren

Looking back up to Yiyu, Rennitz gave her a little apologetic smile. "Yeah, sorry. I was starting to get so deep on why we do what we do, or at least why dragonriders do. It's honestly terrifying to think of the way we put ourselves in danger without a second thought. But it's also to protect Pern and our loved ones so it's definitely worth it. Say, have you ever thought of what color you'd want to ride? I know earlier you had doubts but surely you've considered, even for a second, what color dragon you'd fancy if you had the choice?"

Jessica Freise

"I rode a dragon here," she said softly, studying the young woman's pensive face. "What were you about to say? Friends listen, don't they?"

On Mar 24, 2020, at 11:22 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Well if I'm not being too forward in assuming so, yeah! Friends are important no matter where you are, but I believe that holds especially true in the Weyr. Especially so if we both Impress, because then we'd be Weyrlings together and then fighting together in the Wings. You'd have to get to know your classmates first then your wingmates since your lives would be resting on each other's shoulders. Honestly... it's kind of terrifying." Rennitz sighed softly and let her eyes lower at that admittance. "Thinking about how if we do Impress we'll be responsible for the life of a dragon and then also the life of... Ah, sorry! My mind got caught up there for a moment!" She tried to laugh off the sudden change in mood. "Have you got to meet a dragon yet?"

Ren

"Well if I'm not being too forward in assuming so, yeah! Friends are important no matter where you are, but I believe that holds especially true in the Weyr. Especially so if we both Impress, because then we'd be Weyrlings together and then fighting together in the Wings. You'd have to get to know your classmates first then your wingmates since your lives would be resting on each other's shoulders. Honestly... it's kind of terrifying." Rennitz sighed softly and let her eyes lower at that admittance. "Thinking about how if we do Impress we'll be responsible for the life of a dragon and then also the life of... Ah, sorry! My mind got caught up there for a moment!" She tried to laugh off the sudden change in mood. "Have you got to meet a dragon yet?"

Jessica Freise

"Are we?" Yiyu asked softly. "Friends?"

It was a new concept to her. She who had grown up around brothers and father, all ready to beat her down.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 10:16 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"I've been thinking about that myself." At the offer, Rennitz grinned. "Absolutely! I like listening to his lectures anyway, but going with a friend would be even better."

Ren

"I've been thinking about that myself." At the offer, Rennitz grinned. "Absolutely! I like listening to his lectures anyway, but going with a friend would be even better."

Jessica Freise

"Maybe," Yiyu proffered a tentative thought, "we could attend one of his lessons together. He said that if I didn't Impress, they could use me in the whercraft."

On Mar 24, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Oh! Senior Journeyman Diagir!" Rennitz grinned wide at the mention. "Oh for sure do I know him. He gives many lessons on Whercrafting, especially to the public. He's also a really nice man. His green wher, Vainglory, is his gold Ziya's daughter from her first run and clutch. She wouldn't let anyone take the green's egg so Diagir really didn't have much choice in bonding to her."

Ren