Topics

Hiding In Plain Sight (ATTN: Rennitz, Any)

Jessica Freise

Yiyu startled slightly as the other young wooman appeared in front of her. The bright, welcoming smile wasn't unfamiliar; the Weyr had done nothing but welcome her. Still, she took a step or two back, clasping her hands before her in a nervous gesture.

"I'm....new," she all but whispered in agreement. "My name is Yiyu. I don't come from a  famous hold or anything..."

On Mar 24, 2020, at 11:37 AM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

Seeing a new face, and a rather glum one at that, Rennitz's heart lurched with empathy and excitement. She remembered that face on herself, being so unsure of her place in the Weyr and if she even belonged here, how much she wanted a friend. Making up her mind at just that, Rennitz went to greet the girl. Aranck watched nearby from a rock with vague interest.

"Hello there! Sorry if I'm bothering you- you're new here, aren't you?" Rennitz smiled at the girl warmly and gestured to her shoulder knots. "I'm Rennitz, a candidate like you. I come originally from Keroon, what about you?" There was much more that she wanted to say but she also didn't want to overwhelm the girl too much.

Ren

Rennitz chuckled softly while still grinning. "I don't... technically come from Keroon, just from a hold nearby. Either way, it's nice to meet you. When did you arrive?" There were plenty more questions that Rennitz wanted to ask Yiyu but she also didn't want to overwhelm the new girl. Especially since she looked so scared and nervous. "First time at a Weyr, huh? It's really overwhelming at first isn't it?"

Jessica Freise

"I...uh....about a sevenday," she murmured, forcing a rare smile to her lips and feeling it settle there honestly. The girl was infectious. "I never thought...I mean, to be here...it's like a dream."

On Mar 24, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

Rennitz chuckled softly while still grinning. "I don't... technically come from Keroon, just from a hold nearby. Either way, it's nice to meet you. When did you arrive?" There were plenty more questions that Rennitz wanted to ask Yiyu but she also didn't want to overwhelm the new girl. Especially since she looked so scared and nervous. "First time at a Weyr, huh? It's really overwhelming at first isn't it?"

Ren

"It really is," Rennitz nodded. "They're enormous and filled with so much to do and so many people, oh not to mention the dragons themselves. I've Stood for a few Hatchings and each one is different. Not just because there's a different queen or sire, or a different amount of eggs. The hatchlings all act so differently and sometimes things happen, but overall it's just magical. You really couldn't have come at a better time, either! What with Razelth clutching now, we'll be Standing in a few sevendays!"

Jessica Freise

"You...haven't Impressed yet?"

The question was so stupid, so obvious, that Yiyu blushed furiously and glanced down and away. Her heart turned over at the thought of not Impressing, then lifted a little. Obviously she could stay, could try again. Not that they hadn't told her that. But she was so secretly hopeful it hurt inside.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 2:09 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"It really is," Rennitz nodded. "They're enormous and filled with so much to do and so many people, oh not to mention the dragons themselves. I've Stood for a few Hatchings and each one is different. Not just because there's a different queen or sire, or a different amount of eggs. The hatchlings all act so differently and sometimes things happen, but overall it's just magical. You really couldn't have come at a better time, either! What with Razelth clutching now, we'll be Standing in a few sevendays!"

Ren

"No, I haven't. I typically only Stand when there's a gold egg. If you can guess, there's not many of those. I've seen only three since coming here- Zivath, Valkath, and Razelth. I stood for their hatchings, but they wouldn't have me." Rennitz sighed softly but lifted her chin. "But I won't give up. I'll keep standing until I get too old. Although.... if I get old enough that I won't be able to stand, then I'll open my heart to a blue or green. Nothing against them, of course, but when you grow up in an isolated hold and hear the stories..."

Jessica Freise

Oh, she knew the stories. Her lips turned down in a small frown as she considered the other girl's words. She thought of the three whers she'd met so recently and her words to their handler.

"I believe," she said carefully, "that everything and everyone has a place. I have to," she added quietly.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 3:20 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"No, I haven't. I typically only Stand when there's a gold egg. If you can guess, there's not many of those. I've seen only three since coming here- Zivath, Valkath, and Razelth. I stood for their hatchings, but they wouldn't have me." Rennitz sighed softly but lifted her chin. "But I won't give up. I'll keep standing until I get too old. Although.... if I get old enough that I won't be able to stand, then I'll open my heart to a blue or green. Nothing against them, of course, but when you grow up in an isolated hold and hear the stories..."

Ren

"That's a very true belief," Rennitz agreed. She looked up at the Weyr rim where dragons of so many colors rested together. It had occurred to her, of course, that despite her wishes she could be Impressed by a green or blue who decided she was theirs, but the thought made her a bit uneasy. "I... used to think I'd follow in my father's footsteps and care for whers up north. He breeds runners and helps raise whers for local mines and bigger holds for watchwhers. If I don't Impress at all, I could always join the Whercraft. Have you heard of that?"

Jessica Freise

"Yes," she brightened visibly. "I met someone who handles whers just a day ago," she smiled at the memory. "

"Your father is a wherhandler then?"

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:24 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"That's a very true belief," Rennitz agreed. She looked up at the Weyr rim where dragons of so many colors rested together. It had occurred to her, of course, that despite her wishes she could be Impressed by a green or blue who decided she was theirs, but the thought made her a bit uneasy. "I... used to think I'd follow in my father's footsteps and care for whers up north. He breeds runners and helps raise whers for local mines and bigger holds for watchwhers. If I don't Impress at all, I could always join the Whercraft. Have you heard of that?"

Ren

"Yeah, of a sort! He has a really small holding and stable, split between runners and whers. There's plenty of people with whers here, including Weyrwoman Kassia. She's got bronze Brogan and he's gorgeous." Rennitz sighed in admiration of the great beast. "In fact, Weyrwoman Kassia started a program where all goldriders here should have a wher for a guard. It's amazing!"

Jessica Freise

"A wher for a guard?" Yiyu repeated. "But dragons are so...large. Wouldn't they suffice?" she asked, thoroughly emersed now in the conversation in a way she had rarely managed in her lifetime.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:04 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Yeah, of a sort! He has a really small holding and stable, split between runners and whers. There's plenty of people with whers here, including Weyrwoman Kassia. She's got bronze Brogan and he's gorgeous." Rennitz sighed in admiration of the great beast. "In fact, Weyrwoman Kassia started a program where all goldriders here should have a wher for a guard. It's amazing!"

Ren

"You would think! But dragons can't fit in the small hallways of Weyrs and Holds where humans can." Rennitz gestured with her hands to emphasize the difference. She was enjoying the conversation with this new girl. "But with a wher, they can fit anywhere a human can and no one will challenge anyone with a giant hulking wher right by their side. A dragon would take time to get to someone, even if they could shred through stone, but wher? Boom, right there."

Jessica Freise

"That's amazing," Yiyu said, with unfeigned interest. "The three whers I met were wonderful and so very expressive."

Her fingers uncurled and her hands relaxed from their clasped state. She was warming up to Rennitz, if she were honest, and hoped, with tentative wishful thinking, that she was doing the same to Yiyu.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:51 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"You would think! But dragons can't fit in the small hallways of Weyrs and Holds where humans can." Rennitz gestured with her hands to emphasize the difference. She was enjoying the conversation with this new girl. "But with a wher, they can fit anywhere a human can and no one will challenge anyone with a giant hulking wher right by their side. A dragon would take time to get to someone, even if they could shred through stone, but wher? Boom, right there."

Ren

"Do you know who they belonged to?" Rennitz asked curiously. "One person with three whers is a pretty huge workload! That would require someone really strong and dedicated. They must be a whercrafter."

Bored now, Aranck flew over to his human and settled on her shoulder. The brown firelizard curiously looked the new human up and down while sending questioning thoughts.

Jessica Freise

Yiyu gave the wherhandler's name without hesitation, lips curving upward as she thought of the man who positively dwarfed her. "Do you know him?" she asked, even as her gaze found the brown firelizard.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:59 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Do you know who they belonged to?" Rennitz asked curiously. "One person with three whers is a pretty huge workload! That would require someone really strong and dedicated. They must be a whercrafter."

Bored now, Aranck flew over to his human and settled on her shoulder. The brown firelizard curiously looked the new human up and down while sending questioning thoughts.

Ren

"Oh! Senior Journeyman Diagir!" Rennitz grinned wide at the mention. "Oh for sure do I know him. He gives many lessons on Whercrafting, especially to the public. He's also a really nice man. His green wher, Vainglory, is his gold Ziya's daughter from her first run and clutch. She wouldn't let anyone take the green's egg so Diagir really didn't have much choice in bonding to her."

Jessica Freise

"Maybe," Yiyu proffered a tentative thought, "we could attend one of his lessons together. He said that if I didn't Impress, they could use me in the whercraft."

On Mar 24, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"Oh! Senior Journeyman Diagir!" Rennitz grinned wide at the mention. "Oh for sure do I know him. He gives many lessons on Whercrafting, especially to the public. He's also a really nice man. His green wher, Vainglory, is his gold Ziya's daughter from her first run and clutch. She wouldn't let anyone take the green's egg so Diagir really didn't have much choice in bonding to her."

Ren

"I've been thinking about that myself." At the offer, Rennitz grinned. "Absolutely! I like listening to his lectures anyway, but going with a friend would be even better."

Jessica Freise

"Are we?" Yiyu asked softly. "Friends?"

It was a new concept to her. She who had grown up around brothers and father, all ready to beat her down.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 10:16 PM, Ren <wingedadrian@...> wrote:

"I've been thinking about that myself." At the offer, Rennitz grinned. "Absolutely! I like listening to his lectures anyway, but going with a friend would be even better."

Ren

"Well if I'm not being too forward in assuming so, yeah! Friends are important no matter where you are, but I believe that holds especially true in the Weyr. Especially so if we both Impress, because then we'd be Weyrlings together and then fighting together in the Wings. You'd have to get to know your classmates first then your wingmates since your lives would be resting on each other's shoulders. Honestly... it's kind of terrifying." Rennitz sighed softly and let her eyes lower at that admittance. "Thinking about how if we do Impress we'll be responsible for the life of a dragon and then also the life of... Ah, sorry! My mind got caught up there for a moment!" She tried to laugh off the sudden change in mood. "Have you got to meet a dragon yet?"