Topics

To Fly Without Wings atten: any at stables/Sarati #attnany

sailyn2

Sarati loved to fly, even if on Kabelth it could never be for far or long. She loved the wind in her hair, the power of her lifemate underneath her, the knowledge she could go most anywhere on Pern (though more carefully than most). Riding a horse wasn't exactly the same, but it was close, and she still remembered and sometimes missed her life as a jockey. She knew that her husband's family didn't approve, so she was often stuck to boring, easy to ride runner when one was needed to go somewhere for ceremony or where Kabelth couldn't easily go, but every once in a while she snuck time to ride a less cooperative runner.

There was a temperamental mare that she liked to ride at the Weyr, a blood bay with the uninspired name of Flame. Sarati managed to secure some free time and headed for the stables.

Aaron

Nekaer wiped the sweat from his forehead onto the upper arm of his sleeve. When one such as himself was a Candidate but did not know very well what sort of work he wanted to do should he fail to Impress – Arolos Weyr was hardly a sea port, after all, so his father's former trade was out of the question – one tended to end up assigned to whatever random chores needed doing, shopped out to each craft in a sort of rotation. At least, Nekaer did. Perhaps they hoped he would find a craft he enjoyed as much as sailing.

Today, he was mucking out stalls, and he had just finished an empty one just next to a fussy mare who made her irritation with Nekaer's presence known. Nekaer assumed, anyway, that this was what all of the fussing was about.

"I know, I know. I'm done now, so you can calm down; I'm leaving."

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 10:18 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Sarati loved to fly, even if on Kabelth it could never be for far or long. She loved the wind in her hair, the power of her lifemate underneath her, the knowledge she could go most anywhere on Pern (though more carefully than most). Riding a horse wasn't exactly the same, but it was close, and she still remembered and sometimes missed her life as a jockey. She knew that her husband's family didn't approve, so she was often stuck to boring, easy to ride runner when one was needed to go somewhere for ceremony or where Kabelth couldn't easily go, but every once in a while she snuck time to ride a less cooperative runner.

There was a temperamental mare that she liked to ride at the Weyr, a blood bay with the uninspired name of Flame. Sarati managed to secure some free time and headed for the stables.

sailyn2

"Who me? Don't leave on my account," Sarati joked as she came down the hall.

The mare calmed a bit as she spotted the green rider and poked her head out hopefully. Sarati laughed and produced the orangeroot in her pocket for the mare's pleasure. Flame was predictable. Bring her food and she was a little bit better behaved.

"I'm Sarati, by the way," she added for the boy's benefit.

Aaron

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, 07:59 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

"Who me? Don't leave on my account," Sarati joked as she came down the hall.

The mare calmed a bit as she spotted the green rider and poked her head out hopefully. Sarati laughed and produced the orangeroot in her pocket for the mare's pleasure. Flame was predictable. Bring her food and she was a little bit better behaved.

"I'm Sarati, by the way," she added for the boy's benefit.
_._,_._

"Hm?" Nekaer blinked as he realized someone else had entered the stable, and not one of the usual herdsmen. "Oh, no. I meant her," he said, jerking his thumb at the ornery beast.

"I'm Nekaer," he introduced himself. "Is there anything you need help with? I can get one of the beastcrafters if I can't manage it myself." He noted how much she calmed down after the treat and resolved to bring one next time he had to muck the stall next to hers.

sailyn2

Sarati smiled at him. It was nice when people didn't recognize her straight off. Ever since she got handfasted, she'd come to appreciate why her mom went out in a disguise and tried to just meet people as if she was no one important.

"I can manage her myself, but if you're bored and want to help I wouldn't mind the company." She started to slowly ease open the door to the stall. "Flame and I usually have an understanding."

Aaron

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018, 10:57 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:

Sarati smiled at him. It was nice when people didn't recognize her straight off. Ever since she got handfasted, she'd come to appreciate why her mom went out in a disguise and tried to just meet people as if she was no one important.

"I can manage her myself, but if you're bored and want to help I wouldn't mind the company." She started to slowly ease open the door to the stall. "Flame and I usually have an understanding."

All in all, Nekaer ought to have recognized her straight away, but he never was one to let ‘ought to’ get in the way of what was. If he had grown up at Arolos, no doubt, he would have placed her immediately. But as it was, they had not been Candidates at the same time long enough for him to have absolutely no excuse for not immediately knowing her.

At least, that would be his excuse.

"I'm technically done here," said Nekaer. "At least, as long as the stablehands sign off that it's good enough, anyway." He tilted his head for a moment, only for the first time considering that he might have seen her before somewhere.

Nekaer smiled and said, "Either way, I could never pass up the opportunity to keep you company."

sailyn2

"Do you ride?" Sarati asked. She knew a lot of the Candidates put to cleaning stalls didn't actually know how, or even want to learn.

She grabbed the halter and lead rope sitting on a peg outside the stall and slipped inside to put it on the frisky mare. Flame snorted and tossed her head but then submitted to the halter and even followed Sarati out of the stall. As soon as she was in the aisle way Flame jerked forward and tried to rush outside where there'd be grass waiting. Sarati gave the halter a quick jerk and aimed her toward the crossties instead. The mare reluctantly followed and Sarati put her in the crosstie stall.

Aaron

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018, 10:23 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
"Do you ride?" Sarati asked. She knew a lot of the Candidates put to cleaning stalls didn't actually know how, or even want to learn.

She grabbed the halter and lead rope sitting on a peg outside the stall and slipped inside to put it on the frisky mare. Flame snorted and tossed her head but then submitted to the halter and even followed Sarati out of the stall. As soon as she was in the aisle way Flame jerked forward and tried to rush outside where there'd be grass waiting. Sarati gave the halter a quick jerk and aimed her toward the crossties instead. The mare reluctantly followed and Sarati put her in the crosstie stall.

"I've ridden before," said Nekaer. "But I wouldn't say I ride. Not runners, anyway." He had ridden adragonback enough to consider it unremarkable, as many weyrborn with rider parents had.

"Ashes, she's so fussy," he chuckled. He hoped Sarati did not intend for him to ride her. Sarati... Sarati. The name seemed familiar. He had certainly heard it before. And as he already considered, her face seemed familiar. The two of them may have met before. Well. He would do what he always did if it came up that he should have known her – pretend he knew who she was all along.