Topics

A Walk to Remember Alyx/Any

Alyx

As she left the Infirmary, Ardy on her shoulder, she had no definate destination in mind, and aimlessly wandered towards the lake. The sand was soft under her feet, the sound of the water was soothing, it lulled her mind into a state where she wasn't really thinking about anything, this was just what she'd wanted. But it was lonely, the quiet was lonely. Then her mind started to turn, she thought about things that should have been, rather than those that  had been. She felt guilty, but should have gone, she should have been there. Should have...

The tears started again as she looked out over the lake,but other than occasionally wiping them away with her sleeve she seemed to take no notice of them. Ardy, the little bronze on her shoulder, cuddled up in her curly black hair keened softly along side her.

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran ran behind the young woman, bare feet hitting the warm sand with a muted pfat-pfat-pfat. He'd left his boots on the far side of the shore, and had looped from one end of the lake to the other, running with a focused determination and an easy, practiced gait. He had taken to spending his free days running along the lakeshore since the flight, his thoughts focused on the eventual - he hoped, anyway - clutch, or focused on nothing at all except the motion of running and the muddy smell of the water wafting in.

But then the woman stopped moving ahead of him, and his attention snapped back to the here and now. He had already looped her twice, he realised belatedly, sweat sheening his face and upper body. His mind struggled to catch up with his body, circling like a - in a different age - cassette tape, winding tighter and tighter until it hit the present again and he exhaled noisily, slicking a hand through his hair. He wanted to strip down desperately and go for a swim, but the --

Was she crying?

He slowed to a pace, and then a stop behind the young woman.

"You alright?" He called out, a concerned hitch to his deepening voice.

Alyx

Alyx hadn't paid much attention at all to people moving past her. Hadn't even known they were there. But when a young man's voice sounded slightly behind her, she blinked, wiped her eyes once more, as she turned to face him.

"I..guess I was. I didn't really realize." Another wipe of her eyes, already red. She realized that this young man was a bit younger than her, but had candidate knots on, same as her, though she was sure she'd seen him around, she couldn't think where or when.

"Sorry, I..hadn't meant to disturb anyone." On her shoulder, a dark bronze flit was cuddled close to her neck. Though he was distracted from their shared grief by the other person and chirped inquisitively.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:25 AM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

"You couldn't disturb me," he replied quickly enough, trying to put the young (but older than him) woman at ease. He considered offering her a sleeve to wipe her eyes with, but he stunk of sweat and sun-baked skin from the run, and doubted that was what would soothe her. She was probably worried about the clutch the same as he had been infrequently throughout the past week - though in her own feminine way, he supposed, with tears instead of a doubling up of exercise and physical exertion.

"I was just about to go for a swim to cool off after the run, anyway," he rubbed at the back of his sweaty neck, "...ah, is he yours?"

He gestured to the firelizard on her shoulder.

Alyx

That was something that she could talk about. Ardy was a safe place right now. She rubbed her cheek against him, and coaxed him out from under her rampant black curls. Ardy hesitated a moment, then stood himself up proudly.

"Yea, he's mine, his name's Ardy." She didn't find the need to explain further though, most folks eventually figured out that he was named after bronze Ardeth, then had all sorts of questions.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 1:24 AM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
"You couldn't disturb me," he replied quickly enough, trying to put the young (but older than him) woman at ease. He considered offering her a sleeve to wipe her eyes with, but he stunk of sweat and sun-baked skin from the run, and doubted that was what would soothe her. She was probably worried about the clutch the same as he had been infrequently throughout the past week - though in her own feminine way, he supposed, with tears instead of a doubling up of exercise and physical exertion.

"I was just about to go for a swim to cool off after the run, anyway," he rubbed at the back of his sweaty neck, "...ah, is he yours?"

He gestured to the firelizard on her shoulder.

Jenna Cunningham

"That's a good name," he said with a crooked grin for the flit, oblivious to any subtle-or-not nod to existing, old bronze dragons. Then, focusing on the fire lizard's owner again - he ticked his head toward the lake, gesturing with a jut of his fuzzy chin.

"Want to go for a swim? If you can, I mean. If you can't, I could show you."

When his father had taken lame from the bad fall, his brothers and sister and himself had all taken turns in their own way to distract his mother from the grief of seeing her husband broken.

Maybe he was doing that now.

Alyx

"I..." she trailed off for a moment, seemingly unsure. Yes she could swim, was actually rather good at it. Just wasn't something she'd been expecting to do. But doing was not always a bad thing. And with her being off work for a bit, she'd need things to keep her busy.

"I know how to swim." Then Ardy on her shoulder, decided that yes, water was good, water always made his pet happy, he cheeped at her firmly, poked her cheek with his head in his no nonsense way and looked to the water. Alyx turned her green eyes on the little flit for a moment, raising an eyebrow at his attitude, but was not in the mood to put up much of a fight over it.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 2:07 AM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
"That's a good name," he said with a crooked grin for the flit, oblivious to any subtle-or-not nod to existing, old bronze dragons. Then, focusing on the fire lizard's owner again - he ticked his head toward the lake, gesturing with a jut of his fuzzy chin.

"Want to go for a swim? If you can, I mean. If you can't, I could show you."

When his father had taken lame from the bad fall, his brothers and sister and himself had all taken turns in their own way to distract his mother from the grief of seeing her husband broken.

Maybe he was doing that now.

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran grinned more broadly at the flit's antics, but kept quiet - instead he shucked off his clothes in a pile until he was stripped down to his undergarments, and took off at a lazy jog for the lakeshore, wading out with only the slightest of hesitations at the chill. Then he looked over his shoulder, beckoning with a broad wave.

"Come on! Race you to the other side?"

Alyx

Alyx was quiet, as she stripped out of most of her clothing. Like many people around here, she wore things easy to swim in under her clothing. Though she was short, and a bit stocky of build, the young woman was in no way heavy. Her body showed that she worked hard, that she took her physical fitness seriously, she waded into the water as Ardy flew about her head making sounds of encouragement at the curly haired woman. Once she was deep enough to push off, she did, at least in the water, no one would see if tears came.

"Alright." She was agreeing to the race, but first ducked her head beneath the water, getting her mass of black curls to slick back out of her face.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 7:13 PM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
Asheran grinned more broadly at the flit's antics, but kept quiet - instead he shucked off his clothes in a pile until he was stripped down to his undergarments, and took off at a lazy jog for the lakeshore, wading out with only the slightest of hesitations at the chill. Then he looked over his shoulder, beckoning with a broad wave.

"Come on! Race you to the other side?"

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran looked away modestly when she started to strip down, and was paying attention to the far shore when he heard the flit chirp. He looked back as she said 'alright' and ducked under, and he took that as a sign - he flung himself headfirst forwards, arms out shoveling at the water in a clumsy sort of way. It got results, but it wasn't graceful swimming; he didn't know much about technique, or even endurance. Not that it mattered; his only reason for the race, he told himself, was to distract the young woman and, by all accounts, he felt like he had done a smashing job of it so far.

Of course, he was also competitive - even if she was a girl - and he did want to win.

Alyx

Alyx was but a moment behind him, she had spent a lot of time in the water, and had learned to swim neatly. There were no extra splashes, no frenzied motions, but she slid through the water quickly, and quietly. It didn't take long at all before her mind was so caught up with action, movement of feet, of hands, when to breathe, that other, more painful thoughts slid to the back of her mind.

She was careful though, like everything she did, careful about not wearing herself out too soon. Patience was the name of the game, steady, strong beats, rather than quick frenzied energy. Above her Ardy flew a watch out, though he watched both humans for signs of troubles.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 11:26 PM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
Asheran looked away modestly when she started to strip down, and was paying attention to the far shore when he heard the flit chirp. He looked back as she said 'alright' and ducked under, and he took that as a sign - he flung himself headfirst forwards, arms out shoveling at the water in a clumsy sort of way. It got results, but it wasn't graceful swimming; he didn't know much about technique, or even endurance. Not that it mattered; his only reason for the race, he told himself, was to distract the young woman and, by all accounts, he felt like he had done a smashing job of it so far.

Of course, he was also competitive - even if she was a girl - and he did want to win.

Jenna Cunningham

Swimming across a lake after running around it for the better part of the last two hours was a bad idea, Asheran realised belatedly. His lungs were already burning, and his muscles pulled at each stroke, even as he fell into more of a rhythm - not graceful, still, but less frenzied, if only due to his growing weariness. His shoulder twinged, and he inhaled water as he cramped, yelping mutedly into the cool water, then resurfaced like a whale - blowing water vigorously out of his mouth and nose, checking to see how far ahead the young woman had gotten. And she had pulled ahead. He might have the advantage of muscles, and his masculine physique, but he had been pushing himself for weeks now, every day, and now here he was.

Well, he wasn't going to lose. He refused.

Instead, he redoubled his efforts, burning stamina in an attempt to just get close enough to Alyx to -- to grab at her ankle, and pull her back, if he could.

Then he'd surge ahead, he told himself, even as his shoulder muscle cramped up again.

Alyx

Alyx didn't seem to be having any issues. She was an avid swimmer, and at home in the water. She was also a healer apprentice and used to listening for the sounds of distress. She rolled over onto her back and paused for just a moment. She was out of his reach, but was certain that he was having troubles. She looked at him carefully when he seemed to be cramping up.

"You alright?" She called out to him, while Ardy squeaked above him, reinforcing the idea that he was having troubles.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:09 AM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

"I'm alright," he shot back stubbornly, because he was a teenage boy, and she was a girl - even if she was older. He didn't stop swimming when she had, so he made up some ground... or, well, water - but then the cramp seemed to shoot down his side, from his shoulder straight into his leg, and that cramp (unlike the earlier one) was unignorable. There was no powering through it. One moment he was continuing to swim, and the next he was sinking like a stone, every single movement arrested in favor of just not moving long enough for the pain to go away.

Only it didn't go away, and every time he would resurface, the effort of swimming back up to the surface would intensify the cramping, and he would sink a bit again, splashing about as he tried to balance swimming up with sinking down into a stable sort of tread.

"Sh-ards, it's my leg," he finally called out, the sharp, stabbing ache of it making him swear.

Alyx

Alyx of course was familiar with people trying to power through things, she saw  that he was having trouble immediately, and turned around,swimming back to him. She wasn't all that interested in winning when someone was hurting.

"Hold on, you need to stop a minute. Here, I'll help catch your breath." She swam next to him and offered him an arm to keep himself up.

"You were running before, for how long?"

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 4:22 AM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

He grit his teeth, using one arm and leg to tread water, and grasped her arm with his other hand, using her to support himself on that other side, where even the minute motions of staying afloat were causing the cramp to linger sharply.

"Awhile," he got out after a false start that saw him hiss out a pained breath, then shook his head. "Hours," he added, trying to think back through the haze of pain and panic. He'd gotten up early. He'd eaten and downed a cup of klah, and then he had come out here. And now he was making a fool out of himself. The humor wasn't lost on him, not entirely.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 03:17 PM, Alyx wrote:
Alyx of course was familiar with people trying to power through things, she saw  that he was having trouble immediately, and turned around,swimming back to him. She wasn't all that interested in winning when someone was hurting.

"Hold on, you need to stop a minute. Here, I'll help catch your breath." She swam next to him and offered him an arm to keep himself up.

"You were running before, for how long?"

Alyx

Alyx shook her head at the young man's stubbornness, and slipped closer to him, getting under his arm so that he wouldn't have to move that side at all. She was a strong enough swimmer, that if needed she could pull him back to shore. But if it came to that, might be easier to find a nearby dragon and ask for help. But hopefully just a few minutes of rest would solve his issue.

"You need to me more careful. If I hadn't been here, you could have drowned. Think if I help support this side, you can get back to shore?"

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:14 AM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
[...]

"Wouldn't be in the -- water, if you weren't here," he retorted without any rancor, trying for light-hearted humor even if the tone fell a bit flatter than he'd intended. But then he was suddenly very conscious of the fact that she was a girl, and the cramp felt suddenly very far away. He blinked, winced, and stared into the distance like a man debating whether or not he ought to allow himself to drown to spare himself a certain indignity later on.

"Yes'm," he said finally, struggling for another moment before giving in and shifting more of his weight to her shoulder, however ungentlemanly that might be. "You help like that, and we can get back to shore. Th-anks."

Alyx

Alyx gave him an odd look, but let the first comment slide by without saying anything. That was not really important now any ways. Getting them both back to shore without drowning was. Not that she was too worried about it. Water rescues was one thing she'd excelled at in practice.

"Alright, try not to move your side too much, that cramp will come back if you do."  Treading water beside him, she shifted her arm, till it was around his ribs, and she was closer to his side, so that he wouldn't have to stretch as much. One of the nicer things about being in the water, is her shortness wasn't as much an issue. With him secured, she set out for the shore with her free arm, and careful kicks of her legs, it wouldn't do to kick the fella.

"There we go, so why were you out here running so much? You'll wear yourself down to nothing if you do that too much, are you training to be a runner?"

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 4:47 AM, Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
"Wouldn't be in the -- water, if you weren't here," he retorted without any rancor, trying for light-hearted humor even if the tone fell a bit flatter than he'd intended. But then he was suddenly very conscious of the fact that she was a girl, and the cramp felt suddenly very far away. He blinked, winced, and stared into the distance like a man debating whether or not he ought to allow himself to drown to spare himself a certain indignity later on.

"Yes'm," he said finally, struggling for another moment before giving in and shifting more of his weight to her shoulder, however ungentlemanly that might be. "You help like that, and we can get back to shore. Th-anks."

Jenna Cunningham

"No'm," he murmured quietly, as if lowering the tone of his voice would help stop the cramp from coming back with a vengeance, and kicked with his good leg, trying to help where he could in this little water rescue. Then, continuing with a pained smile: "Candidate. Gotta - get every edge, right? I might not get a third chance to - ah, shards, to stand." Her arm around him, he realised, was very much appreciated - so he turned his attention up to her firelizard instead, staring at the little bronze.

"Don't think I could be a runner if I'd tried. Hard time growing the extra legs. Not much broke to a - saddle."