Topics

One more duckling attn Cremsden Aryn

Cassandra Coogan

Roryn had found the perfect place to read the hides- in the healer apprentices common/classroom- or rather the ledge attached to it, next to the railing. She knew she wasn’t supposed to be here- but she also knew that she wouldn’t get the peace and quiet to actually read the hides if she went back to the crèche.
The hides were interesting, and she traced her fingers over the words, mouth moving as she worked to memorise as much as possible. She wished she had the hide to copy it down but that would be far too much of a giveaway where she was going.

She wanted to keep reading her stolen, er, borrowed apprentice notes- they were more interesting then the stuff that they kept getting her to read in the crèche by far.

It was perhaps to no ones surprise, least of all her own, that she kept reading well past the time she was supposed to have been safely back in crèche.

Aryn was, to say the least, frantic. Roryn was missing- shards knows when or for how long. She did the only thing she could think- she pulled a harness and goggles onto Stoppit, the green wher and sent her out looking.

It was perhaps to her own benefit that, even with her handlers worry thrumming through the bond, the green wher stopped before going into the weyr infirmary.

((Ryn pup in. Stoppit Stop ere. No wher place. Stoppit gud gurl)) the green crooned, snuggling against Aryn before making herself as unobtrusive as possible against the wall.

Aryn practically stormed into the infirmary, eyes focussed as she looked around for anyone in charge. She approached one person, eyes steely. “Where the feck is my daughter.”

Ooc: I’ve just realised- Stoppit May have told her wher she was.....but Aryn doesn’t know that she isn’t hurt.

[...]

Laura Walker

Cremsden blinked, but it wasn't as though parents getting agitated if they thought their children were hurt was an unusual Infirmary event.

"Name, age, any kind of description?" he prompted. "And do you know what happened? I don't think we've had any little girls brought in this morning but I can check."

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 11:49 AM, Cassandra Coogan <Aroloscass@...> wrote:
[...]

Aryn held her hand up “This tall, blond hair, age eleven and her name is Roryn.” Aryn rattled off. Her attention shifted to a dark corner momentarily and she scowled “she may be hiding out here. Especially since that little pain in my butt has been ignoring me.” She pointed at the pale brown flit who gave a squeak before pressing further into the shadows.

“Does this place have a weyr ledge with a fence up?

On Friday, August 17, 2018, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
[...]

Cremsden called back over his shoulder to the nearest apprentice. "Sionel. Any eleven turn old girls in today?"

The boy stood still to consider. "No girls. Had a little boy in earlier who jammed his finger in the door," he offered. "And a baby who fell out his highchair."

"I think the lady was looking for a specific girl, not the closest possible replacement," Cremsden said mildly. "Right. Well, it sounds unlikely she's injured so there's one worry put to bed. We're looking for a runaway then?"

Cassandra Coogan

On Saturday, August 18, 2018, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

[...]

After hearing that Roryn wasn’t injured, Aryn relaxed  “More likely a ‘I found somewhere without anyone to bother me to read and lost track of time’ hideaway.” Aryn clucked her fingers and gave a trilling whistle, her brown flit slinking off the wall and to her to settle around her throat.
“Skiffy.” She rubbed the browns eye ridge. “Find Roryn.”
With a chore and a flick of his tail, the flutter was gone, popping back in to his pet after a moment, sending a strong image of a classroom? With a weyr ledge?

“Surely things haven’t changed that much since I was an apprentice.” She muttered befor one hand went on her hip and she looked up at Cremsden. “This guy says she is in a room with tables, Klah and a weyr ledge that’s fenced. ” She sighed as the flit dove down her top and got comfortable. “You don’t have anywhere like that here, do you?”

After hearing that Roryn wasn’t injured, Aryn relaxed  “More likely a ‘I found somewhere without anyone to bother me to read and lost track of time’ hideaway.” Aryn clucked her fingers and gave a trilling whistle, her brown flit slinking off the wall and to her to settle around her throat.
“Skiffy.” She rubbed the browns eye ridge. “Find Roryn.”
With a chore and a flick of his tail, the flutter was gone, popping back in to his pet after a moment, sending a strong image of a classroom? With a weyr ledge?

“Surely things haven’t changed that much since I was an apprentice.” She muttered befor one hand went on her hip and she looked up at Cremsden. “This guy says she is in a room with tables, Klah and a weyr ledge that’s fenced. ” She sighed as the flit dove down her top and got comfortable. “You don’t have anywhere like that here, do you?”

"That's the apprentices' room." Cremsden frowned a little, but turned to lead the way. "Eleven turns old, you say? We've had a few new kids lately. I don't remember a blonde girl but I could be wrong."

Cassandra Coogan

On Sunday, August 19, 2018, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

[...]

“Honestly- she has a knack of hiding in the background. She- well- she fixated on things and for the last turn or so it’s been even more focussed on Healers.” Aryn’s jaw clenched right a moment “I don’t have an issue with Healers however. I just don’t want her used till there’s nothing left.” her voice was almost harsh, her own apprenticeship forefront in her mind. Skiffy gave a soft trill and Aryn stroked her hand over her shirt to sooth him.

"Ah. You like us just fine you just don't want your daughter to marry one," Cremsden observed, his tone mild still. "Or train as one as the case may be. This way please."

He opened the door to the apprentice classroom, gaze skimming over the chairs until he found the small mop of blonde hair and headed towards it. "Hello, sweetheart," he said calmly. "You one of our new youngsters?"

On Tuesday, August 21, 2018, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:
"Ah. You like us just fine you just don't want your daughter to marry one," Cremsden observed, his tone mild still. "Or train as one as the case may be. This way please."

“She’s eleven. She isn’t marrying anyone.” Aryn gave an indelicate little snort. “And training as a healer is fine so long as she isn’t let burr herself out. I’ve been there. Ain’t nothin fun about that. Can only hope things have changed in the last fifteen turns.”

He opened the door to the apprentice classroom, gaze skimming over the chairs until he found the small mop of blonde hair and headed towards it. "Hello, sweetheart," he said calmly. "You one of our new youngsters?"

Roryns hand slowed in its finger flicking as her eyes glanced up, down, then up again, startled. “Maybe?” She squeaked out, before looking at her ma.
“Uh oh.”

Aryn sighed. “Uh oh indeed. There are rules.”

Roryn sighed “I know. Always let you know where I am, especially if I’m leaving the crèche- and no more then three candlemarks reading hides. Even if they are interesting. Because learning too much too quickly means that brains get tired and you hope I have” she paused, a grin dancing over her face as she quoted “Sharding better sense then your mother and can remember that hidework isn’t everything.”

“And how long have you been here?” Aryn asked.

“Well it was three candlemarks” Roryn chewed her lip “about three candlemarks ago.”

[...]

"Mmm." And as he hadn't been *forbidden* to look at her as a possible new youngling, Cremsden was eying her with interest. "What's that you're reading, kiddo? One of ours?"

[...]

Roryn gave a grin “yep. I started reading this one- which was on the uses of numbweed, then got sidetracked on why numbweed isn’t used for breaks- which is because it’s topical which is why fellows is better for the initial stages of healing before weaning off and then I wanted to know what the numbweed plant looks like and how it’s made. Which is what I was reading now.”

"Mmm." And as he hadn't been *forbidden* to look at her as a possible new youngling, Cremsden was eying her with interest. "What's that you're reading, kiddo? One of ours?"

Roryn gave a grin “yep. I started reading this one- which was on the uses of numbweed, then got sidetracked on why numbweed isn’t used for breaks- which is because it’s topical which is why fellows is better for the initial stages of healing before weaning off and then I wanted to know what the numbweed plant looks like and how it’s made. Which is what I was reading now.”

"And all of that," Cremsden said more sternly, "fresh from the book." He was moving now, opening cupboards to pull out pen, ink and fresh hide. "Books are expensive and if they have hundreds of apprentices pawing over them constantly they don't last," he said firmly. "I've no objection to youngsters straying in looking for a bit of knowledge but you want to work you do it by the same rules as our own apprentices, you understand? Pen and ink is *here*, fresh hide is *here* and if you're not looking up something where the patient is at serious risk if you don't get back to them immediately you make your own copy and refer back to that.And if you're pulling a book out not already on a desk, you *ask* first -- find me or a journeyman. Are we clear?"

Aryn's presence had either been forgotten or considered not important just now.

[...]

Aryn bit back a grin at the pair. As much as she wanted her daughter to sharding wait- she had a feeling that this healer would look after her daughter.

Roryn gave a quick nod, staring at the hide and ink, fingers flicking at her side in excitement. “So you don’t /mind/ I’m here?” She asked. “I’ll follow the rules and make my own copies. Copying helps me remember better anyway.” She added, hands itching to write down what she learnt.

--

"I don't mind, but you ask your mother," Cremsden said. "You hit fifteen turns old and you can do what you want. Until then, I would advise you to ask first."

Cassandra Coogan

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

[...]

Roryn was practically vibrating as she turned and looked at her ma.

“I should say no.” Aryn told her before adding, at the crestfallen look. “But I have a feeling you would do it anyway. There are rules though.”

“Yes mama.” Roryn chewed her lip, hands flicking in their own pattern as she worked through the stress/excitement of the moment.

“Right. Rules. One- Take breaks. No more then two candlemarks at a time reading and copying. You take a break- do brat things. “ she exhaled at the nod. “Second rule- I’m going to be finding a guard to teach you to get away from people who can hurt you. Your small. I’m not much bigger. Your da isn’t exactly huge. If you want to be a Healer- you are going to learn to sharding get away from someone and call for help. Understand?”

Roryn wrinkled her nose. “Who would hurt a healer?”

Aryns jaw tightened briefly before she forced herself to relax “People who come to see Healers aren’t always at their best. They are hurt, or upset- or drunk- or all three. You aren’t going to have Stoppit or Gway to back you up, like I do when I’m working.”

Roryn frowned “I don’t want to hurt anyone.”

“I’d rather you hurt someone to keep yourself safe then be hurt or killed. I would miss you.” Aryn added. “And third rule. I’m getting you a flit. Don’t know when it will be but I’m getting you one. Means you will train it and teach it to get other people’s attention as needed.”

Aryn waited for her daughters wide eyed look of acknowledgement before she turned to Cremsden. “Now, I’m hoping Cremsden is fine with these rules. If he has any others, you listen and you do them.”

[...]

"Mm." That was very non-committal. "You know where my office is, sweetheart?" he asked Roryn. "Do me a favour and tidy up in here. I'm thinking your mother and I should have a quick word in private."