Topics

Just Missed Eggs, But Trying Still {{Attn: Do'zer, Kinara))

Rosiegirl

Kinara just couldn't believe she was *actually* doing this, that she was walking into the candidate barracks to talk to the Candidate Master about becoming a candidate again. It's been over 2 turns since she'd officially been a candidate...and she was hopefully about to be again. For the past nearly 10 months, since not long after her conversation with Cl'rin, she'd been talking with mindhealers to work up to being cleared for candidacy, but Kinara honestly hadn't thought she'd be cleared, much less cleared in time to be a candidate before she was too old to be one.

But it had actually happened. After all those visits, with Kiloka and Aceor at her side and then adding Jazper and Alyss perched on her shoulder and knee; after all the pain re-living everything that had happened to her and the now more common nightmares that the sessions had caused, she was finally cleared. Not in time for the hatching that had just happened, Zavith's clutch, but more than in time for the clutch that would result from Foreth's Hatching Feast Flight just the night before.

Well...more than in time *only* if they accepted her and then let her stay past her 23rd birthday. She knew she'd be turning 23 in just about 6 sevendays, and that timing wise the eggs would be hatching about 8 sevendays after she'd turned 23....so maybe the Candidate Master and the others who decided this kind of thing would let her stay a candidate for that little bit over. If she did that, if she was accepted and stood for the one clutch before aging out, then at least she could say that she hadn't given up and that she'd actually tried- despite believing that no dragon would be out there for her. After all, why would one be out there for her when there were so many other choices- better choices.

As she walked into the candidate barracks Kinara looked around, taking in the difference between this barracks and the one back at Fort, seeing the area that might be her home for the next over 4 months. She knew she would miss Melody and Kiloka, the privacy of their room, but it wouldn't be too long and then she was sure she'd be back. Feeling the conflicting emotions from her person, Alyss crooned comfort as she rubbed her small green head against Kinara's cheek. The brown on her other shoulder, steadying paw on her hair, was silent but was no less comforting in his silence as he studied his surroundings. Taking a steadying breath as she rubbed at the green's headknobs in thanks, Kinara continued her walk to the Candidate Master's office and knocked on the door only after making sure that her clothing was straight and presentable.

kepheren

 The hidework never seemed to end. If anything there was more of it than ever immediately after a hatching when new candidates joined and some of the others who had gotten lucky got their records rotated over to the Weyrling side. In fact he had just set one stack aside after completing it and was contemplating the next when there came a knock at the door.

His green flit looked up in some agitation as she had been hoping to get him to go outside with her. Soothing the little creature Do'zer reminded her to be patient...though it was hardly something she was good at. Glancing back towards the door he answered whomever might be on the other side.

"Come on in....and mind the stacks of records. If you knock one over you get to refile it all."

Rosiegirl

At the Candidate Master's answer to her knock, Kinara opened the office door and entered the office, watchful of the mentioned stacks as she walked. Unsure if she should shut the door or leave it open, Kinara left it open and went to stand in front of the CandidateMaster saying "Thank you for seeing me sir, even though you look busy with things. My apologies for coming at such a busy time after a Hatching."

On her shoulders, Kinara's flits took note of Do'zer's green flit and each gave the new green a trill of greeting, Alyss's trill of a higher pitch than Jazper's. Instead of reaching up a hand to quiet her flits, Kinara stood respectfully at attention with her eyes lowered slightly. After years of Fort, both Hold and Weyr, and not yet used to Arolos' way of doing things Kinara stood there waiting for the higher ranking person to speak first and invite her to speak

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 5:22 PM, <kepheren@...> wrote:

 The hidework never seemed to end. If anything there was more of it than ever immediately after a hatching when new candidates joined and some of the others who had gotten lucky got their records rotated over to the Weyrling side. In fact he had just set one stack aside after completing it and was contemplating the next when there came a knock at the door.

His green flit looked up in some agitation as she had been hoping to get him to go outside with her. Soothing the little creature Do'zer reminded her to be patient...though it was hardly something she was good at. Glancing back towards the door he answered whomever might be on the other side.

"Come on in....and mind the stacks of records. If you knock one over you get to refile it all."

kepheren

 Do'zer smiled at the girl and reached out to lay a hand gently on his own flit. Some new friends would mollify her mood and hold her attention for just a bit. It was his guest's expression that drew his attention though. So stiff and formal...and more than a little nervous. If he had to guess he would assume she was one of the Fortian refugees who had settled in Arolos. He would need to try and set her mind to ease before they could get to whatever her business was.

"The records are a never ending hazard of the job," he said with a shrug and friendly smile. "No need to worry about those for now. Please, take a seat and let me know what brings you here."

Rosiegirl

Kinara noticed when the CM reached out to sooth his flit and so she reached up to do the same along Alyss's back, the green well aware of Kinara's nervousness and so feeling tense herself as she curled her tail slightly tighter around Kinara's neck. Jazper on her other shoulder was quite a bit more stoic, and aside from the greeting to the new green was silent as his narrow brown head turned this way and that examining the surroundings.

His friendly smile, so different from most of the Fortian rankers, did indeed help to still some of Kinara's nerves and she gave a small upward tilt of her lips saying "And even more of a hazard after a Hatching, I bet. Thank you sir." Taking a seat with her back straight, waiting until Jazper resettled himself and lifting a hand to scratch the brown flit's headknobs, Kinara said "I'd like to be a candidate, sir." Taking a breath after that one statement, Kinara felt like she needed to say a bit more than that and continued with "I was one at Fort, for a while, and I'd like to be one here."

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM, <kepheren@...> wrote:

 Do'zer smiled at the girl and reached out to lay a hand gently on his own flit. Some new friends would mollify her mood and hold her attention for just a bit. It was his guest's expression that drew his attention though. So stiff and formal...and more than a little nervous. If he had to guess he would assume she was one of the Fortian refugees who had settled in Arolos. He would need to try and set her mind to ease before they could get to whatever her business was.

"The records are a never ending hazard of the job," he said with a shrug and friendly smile. "No need to worry about those for now. Please, take a seat and let me know what brings you here."

kepheren

He gave her a curious glance at the request. The girl looked a bit old to be becoming a candidate. Of course if she had been one at Fort and grew up within the program she could just be nearing the upper age typically allowed. Well, he could sort all of that out and figure out what to do about her request.

"Well, as I'm sure you know there are some questions first. Like your name and how old you are."

Do'zer didn't dare hope that maybe some of the records of her candidacy from Fort had been forwarded to Arolos. They would have to do this the hard way probably. He imagined though that the poor child was rather stressed by all of this so he made a mental note to make this as easy as possible for her.

"Don't fret now," he said, trying his best to sound encouraging. "It's just the sort of information we need from everyone. If you were a candidate before we'll do the best we can to acomodate you."

Rosiegirl

Already knowing how odd it would be for someone, anyone, to be trying to become a candidate when they were already so close to aging out, when Kinara saw the curious glance he gave her Kinara's cheeks pinked in embarrassment and she looked down at her lap.

At his words, Kinara nodded agreement, having expected there to be questions before being told if she could or couldn't be a candidate. Lifting her head back up at his encouraging tone as he said that he'd try and accommodate her, Kinara said "Oh, thank you sir. I understand you need information from me. Whatever you need to know. I'm Kinara and I'm 22, but I'll be turning 23 just a few days before Turns End." Pausing for a moment, Kinara continued with "I know that the age for female candidates is different here than at Fort, and that once I turn 23 I'll be over your age limit, but if I could I really want to stand for even just 1 clutch here."

Continuing, thinking that he'd probably want to know how long she'd actually been a candidate, Kinara said "I was searched from the Harper Hall when I was 17, although I wasn't in-training to be a harper. I stayed a candidate until I was 19, when I had my daughter." Falling silent, unsure how much more he needed to know, Kinara waited for the other questions he probably had for her.

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 7:10 AM, M. H. <kepheren@...> wrote:

[...]

Do'zer listened patiently and smiled to encourage her to continue as Kinara spoke. His attention piqued a bit at the mention of a daughter. Being a candidate didn't allow for much of a family life for a parent. Much less so for a weyrling should she be lucky enough to Impress. Doing the math though he could tell that if she had a baby at 19 and was 22 now then some accommodation must have been made....especially if she had still been a candidate at Fort.

"I hope that I don't sound indelicate but has your child come to Arolos as well? Understandably there has been a lot of turmoil over everything that has happened at Fort. Do you think you can devote the time needed to possibly become a weyrling one day?"

He assumed the answer was yes but he waited patiently to see what she would say.

(Ooc: Sorry for the delay. I was a goober and forgot that this was in the main board instead of on the candidates board. Been watching over there for your reply. *doh*)

Rosiegirl

Giving a small shake of her head as Do'zer's first words, when he was finished Kinara replied with "Oh, you aren't being indelicate at all, Sir. It's a fair question. It's not like I'm a younger girl trying to become a candidate who doesn't have a child. Yes, she actually made it out of Fort before I did, and we met up here once I managed to be able to leave Fort. It was a very bad time, that is true, but she was cared for when we were separated and has since then been sufficiently reassured that a separation like that wouldn't happen again."

Pausing to consider his other worry about time management, Kinara nodded her head saying "Yes Sir, I believe I can. I don't have a craft to take up my time, only Melody, my daughter, who has another person in her life besides me who can care for her. She'll miss me, of course, during the possible weyrling separation that I know is necessary should I be lucky enough to impress, but she'll do ok until I can see her on breaks and rest days- she's got other family around her."

After another pause, Kinara said with a softer and more sincere tone "Ultimately I'm not just wanting to be a candidate for me or my possible future dragon, but also for her. To show her when she gets older not to give up on what she wants, even if the path to her goal is hard to follow and filled with sudden pitfalls."

((OOC: No worries. *grins* And btw, Kinara doesn't mean actual blood family (being an orphan herself), but people who are close enough for Melody to consider family. ))