Topics

V is for Violin Attn Ayaer

Laura Walker

Eager as Peetah was for violin lessons, there was something about him that tended to put off older Harpers. It might be something to do with the nine year old's tendency to argue - and be very smugly right.

So, someone had decided that the best teacher for him would be Ayaer, and the boy was blithely unaware that this might be a result of him annoying the last teacher. He carried his violin - HIS violin, his treasure, and he wasn't playing on any inferior instrument - into the room with him, and eyed his teacher as though trying to judge him. "Can you play well?" he demanded, not seeming to realise respect should usually be shown.

Kat Reitz

Eager as Peetah was for violin lessons, there was something about him that tended to put off older Harpers. It might be something to do with the nine year old's tendency to argue - and be very smugly right.

So, someone had decided that the best teacher for him would be Ayaer, and the boy was blithely unaware that this might be a result of him annoying the last teacher. He carried his violin - HIS violin, his treasure, and he wasn't playing on any inferior instrument - into the room with him, and eyed his teacher as though trying to judge him. "Can you play well?" he demanded, not seeming to realise respect should usually be shown.
Ayaer glanced up from his reading, perched behind his desk with a glass of water in hand, and an expression that flared hot only in his eyes. Nothing shifted on his face, and he inclined his head slightly. "I play exceedingly well, Peetah. That's why you've been sent to me. Close the door behind you, and take a seat."

Laura Walker

It was a reaction that satisfied Peetah, and he for once did as he was told without argument, shutting the door firmly. He sat down and reached for his violin without being asked, taking it out of its case with loving careful hands.

Kat Reitz

It was a reaction that satisfied Peetah, and he for once did as he was told without argument, shutting the door firmly. He sat down and reached for his violin without being asked, taking it out of its case with loving careful hands.
He watched him remove the violin from the case, and finished off his water before tidying up his papers. "And what is your instrument's providence?"

Laura Walker

He watched him remove the violin from the case, and finished off his water before tidying up his papers. "And what is your instrument's providence?"

Peetah hesitated, for once unsure of himself. "It's mine," he answered after a moment's pause, clutching it defensively. "I brought it from home."

Kat Reitz

He watched him remove the violin from the case, and finished off his water before tidying up his papers. "And what is your instrument's providence?"

Peetah hesitated, for once unsure of himself. "It's mine," he answered after a moment's pause, clutching it defensively. "I brought it from home."

Ayaer's expression briefly flicked to disappointed before settling again. "Do you know who made it? The quality of the instrument and your care of it is as important as the quality of your skill. How old are your strings? When was the last time you tuned it?"

Laura Walker

Ayaer's expression briefly flicked to disappointed before settling again. "Do you know who made it? The quality of the instrument and your care of it is as important as the quality of your skill. How old are your strings? When was the last time you tuned it?"

"It *is* high quality!" Peetah's grip on his violin became tighter, possessive. "It was my grandfather's - I don't know who made it, it's old. I take good care of it though. I tuned it last sevenday - it *is* good!" There was a 'so there' implied in his tone if not spoken out loud.

Kat Reitz

Ayaer's expression briefly flicked to disappointed before settling again. "Do you know who made it? The quality of the instrument and your care of it is as important as the quality of your skill. How old are your strings? When was the last time you tuned it?"

"It *is* high quality!" Peetah's grip on his violin became tighter, possessive. "It was my grandfather's - I don't know who made it, it's old. I take good care of it though. I tuned it last sevenday - it *is* good!" There was a 'so there' implied in his tone if not spoken out loud.

"Are you always so defensive?" Ayaer smiled, leaning back in his desk chair. "When was the last time you changed your strings?"

Laura Walker

"Are you always so defensive?" Ayaer smiled, leaning back in his desk chair. "When was the last time you changed your strings?"

"About three months ago." Peetah's chin jutted, and he looked as though he would like to say more but - for once - wasn't quite sure what to say.

Kat Reitz

"About three months ago." Peetah's chin jutted, and he looked as though he would like to say more but - for once - wasn't quite sure what to say.

“All right.” Ayaer was still smiling as he gestured to the instrument that Peetah was stubbornly clutching. “Play something. Let’s establish how much help you need."

Laura Walker

“All right.” Ayaer was still smiling as he gestured to the instrument that Peetah was stubbornly clutching. “Play something. Let’s establish how much help you need."

That, Peetah could do. He lifted the violin to his shoulder, concentrated, and started the most complicated piece he knew. He was determined to show Ayaer - determined to impress him one way or another.

Kat Reitz

Ayaer listened, face implacably calm, permanently slight smile unmoving. His eyes showed moments, twitches of displeasure and reaction to the music that his face didn’t show. “I think I can work with you."

On Nov 21, 2013, at 5:24 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

“All right.” Ayaer was still smiling as he gestured to the instrument that Peetah was stubbornly clutching. “Play something. Let’s establish how much help you need."

That, Peetah could do. He lifted the violin to his shoulder, concentrated, and started the most complicated piece he knew. He was determined to show Ayaer - determined to impress him one way or another.

Laura Walker

Ayaer listened, face implacably calm, permanently slight smile unmoving. His eyes showed moments, twitches of displeasure and reaction to the music that his face didn’t show. “I think I can work with you."

Peetah lowered the instrument, looking more than a little smug and pleased with himself. "When do we start?"

Laura Walker