Date   

Explosion: Patching up the worst of the damage. (JP Dytha/Talith/R'tal)

Nutmeg
 

IC Date Reference: Set the morning after the Cavern explosion.


As the dust settled and the ominous silence around the Caverns grew, it felt like a farce to claim that business was resuming as normal. It felt as though there were an ominous silence underpinning the Weyr. It seemed devoid of its usual hustle and bustle, the normal sounds of chatter echoing around the walls seemed to be absent. After several days absence, Dytha was back in the Infirmary. Life went on for everyone. The bruising on her face was fading to an ugly yellowish green and the swelling had gone down. She hadn’t missed the questioning glances from the side of her eye but hadn’t gone into the facts. Hadn’t wanted to give the bluerider any more attention than he had already had. 


Sighing as she checked the roster for her duties, Dytha had gotten on with work. But she was distracted, a part of her thoughts on permanent hyper vigilance as she kept a part of her mind on alert for Ponth. The green had been subdued and quiet, reluctant to leave her ledge or had taken to sleeping on Vukoth’s despite the bronze’s absence. R’bor wouldn’t be coming back from High Reaches for a while. In his last correspondence, she had felt the excitement coming through the words that the Weyr had asked if he would be interested in taking part in an extended training program and if so, could send a temporary Rider to Arolos as a form of “exchange” with the view of potentially taking training tips back from each respective Weyr. Nayari had already signed off on it. So how could she say no? So instead, she had written words that conveyed a gladnes she did not feel, did not mention H’lan and had told R’bor that he was to stay for as long as he needed. Ponth had been heartbroken to learn that Vukoth would not be returning any time soon, a further blow to her confidence. And now… this. Shells, she was starting to believe some of the whispers that Arolos was bad luck. 


But work needed to be done. And work she did. Quietly and studiously getting on with the many things that she needed to do.


Meanwhile in the Hatching Grounds Talith was also doing the work he needed to do; work that would more normally be done by a mothering gold. Carefully, gently, he turned each of the eggs he had taken to guard, moving slowly as he worked by touch alone. He would not risk injuring another.


Last of all he nudged around the one that had fallen. He dared not try moving that one, he couldn’t feel how broken it might be. He crooned to it instead, a soft sad song of love to help a lost child hang on a little longer.


She had deliberately volunteered for the monotonous task of jarring up the fresh batch of numbweed. It was mindless and she needed that. It made it easier both not to think and to keep a mental eye on Ponth. The small green was curled up in a deflated ball on their ledge, nose drooping over the edge and down towards the Weyrbowl. There was a cloud of sadness clinging to the Weyr and in the dragons. It was hard for it not to at least leak between the gap of a dragon and rider. 


In the Infirmary, Dytha sighed for the thousandth time, feeling the dribbles of Ponth’s morose mood. She could only imagine how the Riders of the dragons in the Caverns were feeling. And at the same time, didn’t want to.


Gently Talith tried to at least shift the sands around the egg, worried that if they stayed too long the Hatchling might be entirely cooked. The sand blew away at a snort to be replaced by fresh sand.


One piece did not. He nudged it, blew on it and then even licked it to stop it sticking to the egg.


It was not sticking to the egg. It was stuck into the egg.


((‘TAL!)) Louder than intended and sharp with alarm. R’tal was not leaving the Caverns much at the moment. Purest bad luck that one of the few times he did have to do so briefly Talith should find this.


The exclamation caught Ponth’s attention and immediately she lifted her head, staring in the direction of the Caverns. That… did not sound right. Dytha felt the prickle of attention and started listening to whatever Ponth was doing. (( Talith? )) She enquired carefully, her mind-voice weary with fatigue from her still healing wings. 


He had not meant to catch attention, not this time. ((I was calling for R’tal,)) Talith excused himself a little sulkily. He hadn’t been talking to anyone since.. Well, since everything. 


Ponth though. Didn’t Ponth’s rider work with K’ren? ((Is he in the Infirmary?))


Her mind-voice was immediately demurely respectful. She did not want to intrude, understood if perhaps the dragon was feeling the need for solitude. (( I do not know. But I can ask Mine. She would be able to find out. ))


Listening in, Dytha was immediately both suspicious and on alert. (( Ask if he needs a Dragonhealer. )) There was no room for negotiation and although Ponth was puzzled, acquiesced. (( Mine asks if you need a Dragonhealer. She is one. She shall be marvellous when she finishes all of her work on the eggs. ))


((My eyes are fine!)) The answer was immediate and defensive and so utterly random it seemed to be plucked from the air. 


Now Ponth was a little suspicious and above all that, she was concerned. And in her soft voice, it showed. (( I did not mean to suggest that they weren’t. But I think Mine was worried for you. She will look for R’tal for you… )) The green paused, weighing the strangeness of the situation. And took the plunge. (( If it is the eggs… Mine could look… she is studying all the things to make sure they hatch… ))


((No-one is meant to come in to look at the eggs.)) Talith sounded how he felt; fretful, and worried, and clinging to the things he knew. He hesitated, not daring nudge at the egg again. ((...but she should talk to ‘tal.))


(( She is not a Candidate curious about them. She is a Healer first and foremost. She is not interested in satisfying idle curiosity. She just wants to be sure all is well. )) It was a firm but gentle reminder, even as Dytha was getting up to her feet in search of the brown’s Rider. Something was afoot and it was prickling at both her concern and her curiosity.


Which Ponth murmured her platitudes. Dytha was headed in the direction of K’ren’s office. If she was going to start somewhere, there was as good a place as any. Instead, she spotted the brownrider coming out of the Weyrwoman’s room. Eh, second guess worked just as well. “Weyrleader R’tal. Do you have a moment?” Dytha waved a hand to catch the man’s eye. 


The man looked as though he’d aged a few turns over the past few days. There was an urgency in his step, door closing briskly behind him as he left Kassia’s room. He glanced at Dytha and over her, seeing her without really seeing her. Everyone wanted his attention right now. “I’m sorry, I don’t -- I need to get back to--” To Talith, whose yelp had reached him and pulled him away from where he’d been waiting for Kassia to wake up. “--I have to check something on the Hatching Grounds, sorry.”


“I think something is going on either with Talith or with the eggs. He caught Ponth’s attention and now he’s being evasive.” Her voice was the familiar brusque clip of a Healer in action. “Now, I understand the concern you have but I am a Dragonhealer and would be happy to attend if necessary.” She could see the frazzled and distracted look on the man’s face. It was important for him to recognise that she wasn’t there to express sympathies or make mindless chatter. She was all business. 


“Master Larsin is seeing to him already.” Same assumption Talith had had, that it was the dragon that was the immediate concern. “I’m sorry, I can walk and talk, but really, I can’t stop.” He was cursing himself already for having slipped out and left his brown at all, but Talith had been asleep.


“And if it involves a concern with the eggs, my name will be top of the list who Master Larsin calls for. Just as it was when I was assisting with the eggs after Razelth’s Hatching.” It wasn’t a brag, it was stated in calm matter of fact honesty. In fact the only reason she likely hadn’t been called for already was because of Larsin’s awareness of her being off-duty to recover from her injuries. She was well aware of the picture she made, Senior Apprentice knots, yellowing bruises on her face and awkward posture as she shifted on already aching feet. “I appreciate that your first concern will be Talith much as my own would be for Ponth. But at the moment, he is part of a double equation and the eggs will immediately come into it.”


“I’m sorry, DragonHealer.” And R’tal was trying to stay polite for K’ren’s sake, as he always at least attempted to be polite to Infirmary staff. If he hadn’t at least been trying, she would have been Senior Apprentice and curtly dismissed and no two ways about it. Still, his tone sharpened. “The truth of the matter is I don’t know what the problem is right now, do you understand? I can make a few guesses but what I have now is an upset  dragon who lost eight sharding eggs less than a sevenday ago and no, I am not pausing to discuss before I check on him!” He was walking as he spoke; Dytha would have to keep up. 


Inwardly she sighed. And this was why she preferred dealing with dragons. People could be… messy. There wasn’t a chance she was going to keep match with his long stride but she would and could follow. And follow she did. She would stand outside the Caverns if she had to, but she wasn’t going to go anywhere without being sure. Larsin would have her head if she let it slide by. Had it been any other day she wouldn’t even have gotten involved. But it wasn’t any other day. So there she was, limping awkwardly across the Weyrbowl in a vain attempt to keep up with the man. But she wasn’t going anywhere. Not until she knew for certain.


She was over ten minutes behind him, which was ten minutes where R’tal moved up to a jog feeling Talith’s distress and needing to get to him. The guards didn’t question letting him through, though Dytha would certainly have been stopped behind. 


Ten minutes of reassuring his dragon, promising him it likely wasn’t that bad and then trying to make it not that bad through his own eyes when he saw it. And wanting to pull it out, and not daring to, wanting to fix it and not knowing how, wanting to bury it again and make it go away or at least just look really surprised at Hatching as though if he didn’t know about it it maybe hadn’t happened..


Sometimes being responsible was really rough.


He was waiting with the guards when Dytha finally caught up, face set like stone.


It was probably a good thing she was stubborn. And not easily ruffled. Perhaps a more junior Apprentice might have been set on edge at seeing the stony grimace of the Weyrleader’s face. For her, it set a needle of anticipation beneath her skin as her instincts kicked in. Something was wrong. All she did was incline her head politely as she got there, eyeing the guards carefully. Now he would either tell her to go away, fetch Larsin or tell her what was really going on. Because her Healer sense was buzzing a tattoo.


The hand on her shoulder was a firm one -- not unkind, just establishing that she didn’t get to rush in. “If you come in--” R’tal was still hesitating as he said it. A secret shared was no longer a secret. “If any of what you see gets talked about in the Weyr.” The guards he trusted, guards were different. Everyone else was less so.


R’tal wouldn’t have known that under his grip was a still healing bite mark, one that had broken the skin viciously and she resisted the shrieking urge to abruptly jostle his hand away. Instead her face tightened, an expression that might be mistaken for severity or solemn understanding. Inwardly she clenched her jaw, biting down against the sharp throb from the pressure. “Understood, sir. Nothing will come from me. Or Ponth.” It was hard not to take a little offence at what felt like an assumption that she would run gossiping. But that was what youth and lower rank got you. 


“Right.” He released her, nodding to the guards to let her through and led her through to where Talith was waiting, pads still covering and protecting the brown dragon’s injured eyes.


It was hard to force a “normal” gait but for the sort distance, she managed to effect something close to it. And followed.


“It’s not his fault.” And if that was the first, fiercely protective statement out of R’tal’s mouth it probably was somehow, somewhere along the line, Talith’s fault. “Some of the eggs got broken but-- we thought this one would be okay. They weren’t moving it so it would be safe.”


“No one said it was. Or assumed it. Tell me what you’ve seen.” Dytha had a suspicion that the man’s defensiveness was only magnified tenfold by the fact that those pads wrapped around his eyes meant he was running on instinct and his Rider’s eyes. And people were quick to make judgements.


“There’s something-- it had a crack.” R’tal waved a hand in the air, trying to describe. “It was in the top and it wasn’t-- it was just a little one so we thought it would be safe, that maybe nothing could escape? And they haven’t been moving it as much so it can’t leak.”


That was… about as helpful as she could expect. She wasn’t surprised. The man probably had a mountain of issues on his plate as it was. “What was in the top?” At least she had confirmed that they were talking about eggs. Or rather, an egg. “Not moving it is good. They did the right thing. And if it was in the top, as bad as it sounds, that might actually be better. By now there will be less egg fluid and it will be collecting towards the bottom leaving an air pocket at the top.”


“Right. That’s what we thought.” More or less anyway. Possibly more tilted towards ‘egg fluid is liquid and more of it in the egg is good’ but hey. “But now -- he thought it was just sand sticking to it but-- there’s like a stone? And it can’t-- it doesn’t come free.”


Hmm. That sounded less good and the darkening of her eyes gave away the sliver of concern. “It’s pierced the shell? My suspicion would be that it fell from the roof. So you can reassure Talith that it’s unlikely to be his fault. But, I need to see it to assess the damage and get an idea of what we need to do. And I’m going to be blunt here. Piercing the shell means we don’t know what damage has been done. Or if the egg will hatch. But you can be sharding sure that I’m going to check it over from top to bottom to check its viability.”


R’tal took a deep relieved breath at that first statement. Heartless perhaps, and a thought to be shielded even from his dragon that the egg was important less for itself and far more that it must not be one more thing to hurt Talith. Not right now. “Over here then,” he said, leading her past the brown towards what on first appearances was still mostly a heap of sand. They’d done a good job hiding it.


Obediently she followed. Already she was assessing the brown’s body language, gauging how hard it would be to let her get a look. And mentally assessing what she was going to need from the Infirmary. Her mind was already jumping through twenty different possibilities of what she was going to see. And with each possibility, she was bracing herself for the worst possible outcome. She could see the  mound that at first, just looked like a lump of sand but as they drew closer, could see that it was indeed an egg. Albeit one almost totally obscured by sand.


Talith’s head came to rest on the Sands next to her as she looked. Indeed, for a moment it seemed it would come to rest on top of her; the brown corrected only at the last moment for the fact that his rider’s eyes did not put her where he expected her to be. ((He’s still in there.)) He sounded certain. 


“Okay. I’m going to need a large basket of glows. And a smaller empty one about the size of an inflated skin ball. There’s also going to be a firelizard here in a minute bringing me some things.” Dytha’s clipped voice wasn’t rude. Just professional. She wasn’t here to coo over the eggs. She was here to work. She looked up at Talith as the head came down to land beside her. “Hullo Talith. I’m Ponth’s. I’m not here to hurt, I just want to look first. And then we will decide what needs to be done. But the important thing here is that from what I’ve been told, this wasn’t your fault.” Dytha didn’t doubt that there was a chance that the brown knew that the hatchling was still alive. Dragons spoke with their mind and being this close to the hatching, surely the dragonets were communicating with one another, if not the outside world directly. 


She looked over at R’tal before glancing back to Talith. “If it’s okay with you, I’m going to take a look now but I’m not going to use my hands too much if I can help it. I have things that can help me with the sand. But for the moment I just need you to stay where you are, okay?”


“He’ll stay.” R’tal spoke for his dragon. “But I have a feeling Foreth already barred all firelizards from here. Or one of the golds did.” He couldn’t remember if he’d suggested it or if it had just happened. He scratched his head, thinking. “Get the firelizard to leave stuff with the guards. One of them will run it over if I ask.”


She nodded, already Ponth was jostling Mimsi awake and the firelizard was grabbing the bags that Ponth knew Dytha needed. One was a standard Infirmary kit. The other was a kit she was developing out of her own paltry wages. “She’ll be here in just a minute. Have them be ready for her. She’ll need to make a couple of runs. They’ll receive a Healer bag, what looks like a small camping roll and likely another small bag.” Mimsi could be lazy most of the time but she knew how to move when it was needed. She could feel the green’s impatient fidgeting in the back of her thoughts as she grabbed at the things she needed.


Sure enough, the green would be making the first pass just as the Guard appeared at the Cavern mouth and would have the bags almost thrust at him each time the firelizard reappeared. Just as Dytha predicted, the man would bring back a Healer bag, a small camping type roll and another smaller bag.


It was a quick jog there and back for R’tal and once back he stayed by his dragon, keeping a sharp protective eye on Talith - far more of a watch than he was keeping on Dytha. Occasionally Talith hummed dissatisfaction with this arrangement and he switched to watching her for the sake of the dragon sharing his eyes but always his gaze returned to Talith.


The other guard had been hastily dispatched for the glow baskets and mats and Dytha didn’t have to wait long for him to arrive just as she was unrolling the “camping roll”. It wasn’t sleeping blankets but what it did have was a large selection of brushes, some big enough that they looked like those used to clean the flues in the kitchens whereas others were as small and fine as a Harper’s fine point detail brush. As the mats arrived, she shook it out, knelt down and set to work. She had been honest that she wasn’t intending on touching the egg. That was what the brushes were for, deftly flicking away the sand as more and more shell was uncovered and then… “I see it.” 


It was to all intents and purposes a large stone splinter. Albeit one that was sticking out of the top of the shell. And had most definitely penetrated it. But to what depth? This was where she needed the glows. She had already set them up to give her a bright work space but now she decanted several into the smaller basket and after pulling on a pair of cotton gloves, carefully lifted the open basket top against the side of the shell, beneath the stone shard that protruded from it. The effect would be immediate. The shell was illuminated and two things became immediately apparent. The shadowy shape of a shifting dragonet and from where it had pierced, the long thin shadow of the stony dart.


Dytha glanced up at R’tal. “You see what I’m looking at? So we can see it’s gone in. And deep. But for the most part, it seems to be away from major body parts and more towards the head. And Talith was right, he… or she… is still in there.”


R’tal looked and then just as quickly looked away, remembering the partner who shared his eyes. Talith had already had too much to see of late.


Talith most certainly disagreed. It earned a rumble from the brown dragon, accompanied by a mental protest that made his rider wince.


“Look, I just don’t think you--”


If Talith could have glared at him he would. As it was he made an angry noise, frustrated by his own inability to just look for himself.


“Letting him see will likely help his feeling of helplessness. Think how you’d feel if you were in the same position. Talith already feels terrible that his sight has been taken away. He needs to know what I’m doing to his egg.” It was an almost absent-minded comment that drifted over Dytha’s shoulder as she moved the glow basket around the egg, applying careful pressure to keep it in place. But as she moved, the egg was illuminated from a different angle but sure enough, the moving dragonet was still visible, twitching a little as though having a dream. 


“I’ve found the stone, Talith. It looks just like the stone you see on the ceiling. I think it fell down. It was just bad luck that this one was in its path when it did, but you didn’t do this. I don’t know that the hatchling inside hasn’t been hurt at all by it. I can’t promise that. But I can see that it’s not touching the hatchling directly at the moment. But you did the right thing by not trying to pull it out. I can see where some of the interior fluid has hardened on the outside from the heat. When it does, it makes a type of lacquer. It’s holding it in place and pulling it out might risk breaking the shell. And I’m not going to do that.” Dytha paused, now looking at Talith. “I’ve got an idea - it’s a bit radical as it’s not so much a fix as it is a… bandage. But we can’t take it out. All we can do is wait and see what happens when they Hatch. But in the mean time, I can do something to stop it going in further and also stop it pulling at the shell. So you need to trust me.”


It was with great reluctance that R’tal conceded, crouching finally so that Talith could see what he wanted. It turned the brown dragon’s growls to soft croons, almost cooing over the visible baby.


((My brave boy.)) Talith at least seemed certain on the gender. He huffed a breath over the egg, close to touching but not quite. ((He slipped.))


She took the lack of response as either agreement or wanting to hear more. So she went with the latter. “I need a bucket of wet clay. I’m going to carefully pack a layer around the spike and down part of the shell. The heat from the Cavern will bake it in place but clay also holds heat so it shouldn’t provide an unusual hot or cold spot. Think of it a bit like filling a hole in a wall. The egg will need to stay upright with the spike on top but it can be rotated carefully. Right now not pushing that spike in is more of a concern than rotating it in the sand.” 


“They should be close to Hatching anyway, shouldn’t they?” Despite Talith’s urging, looking was clearly an effort for R’tal. He looked above or to the side of the splinter, trying to keep it only in his peripheral vision. Looking at the dragonet for Talith was fine, he could handle that but he couldn’t, wouldn’t keep his gaze on the broken bit. 


“Judging by the shell density and texture alone, I’d say yes.” She replied, pulling the basket away and the illuminated dragonet inside fell into darkness once more. “It’s also caused limited damage around the puncture site so I would speculate that it was a pointed piece and the speed of it falling caused a clean entry. There’s some minimal cracking surrounding it but ironically, the egg fluid that did leak has likely caused an impromptu seal.” Dytha stepped back, looking over the egg but on the whole seemed more or less satisfied. Well, as satisfied as you could be in the situation. “If someone can get me that clay, I can make up the support layer. Get them to bring a bucket of water too so I can make it into a paste and keep it as a thin layer. Should prevent too much weight build up that way too.”


“I’ll get the guards to send someone.” The guards were getting used to needing to find an errand boy. Talith had been subdued and unwilling to pass messages since the accident. “Will the Infirmary have it?”


“They should. We use it in a variety of treatments.” Perhaps not the most pleasant of ones, but the minerals in it were effective. “If not, the kitchens will for clay baking meats and so on.” She wanted this done. Dytha was fast realising that being in the Caverns, surrounded by injured dragons and the echoes of destroyed eggs wasn’t sitting well with her. “As soon as it’s done, it’ll just need to be monitored to ensure it’s set and it will be able to be carefully rotated around in its divot, just not rotated from top to bottom.”


“They weren’t turning it top to bottom anyway, because of the crack.” That was why it was over here on its own, rather than with the ones the dragons were sitting like huge protective mother wherries. “Right. I’ll sort it.”


He hurried away. Talith stayed where he was, unable to still see  the egg now but still able to hum to it.


The clay and bucket of water arrived quickly. No sooner had it arrived, Dytha set to work. It was a delicate procedure and the time seemed to move past as though through tar. Careful mixes of watered down clay were pasted around the base of the spike within the egg, even more careful were the gloved hands that smoothed it down. It seemed to take an age. Constantly she would move, getting up to walk around the egg or lifting the glow basket against it once more to ensure the stone shard hadn’t been pushed in any deeper. Handful after handful was applied and smoothed down, spreading out from the shard in thin, built upon layers. Eventually, it looked more like a piece of stone caught in a lump of muddy, fresh turned soil before it faded into the colours of the egg further down. Finally though, she got to her feet and stepped back, inspecting her handiwork with a critical eye.


“The clay is already hardening. It should be fully set in around a half candlemark in this heat. If it looks like it’s starting to peel, you can lightly spray it with a bit of water. But the shard in it shouldn’t move. If it feels like it’s coming loose before hatching, have Talith call Ponth. But that’s about all I can do. All we can do now… is wait.”


= End= 

--
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!


Re: Camping Trip Greenflight!!: Into the Unknown ((Attn: Kinara/Arendelth, any chasers))

Rosiegirl
 

Kinara, well...being more Arendelth at this point, lifted her lips into a snarl as her gaze that had been watching the fleeing ‘rider’ was blocked by one of her suitors. And *then* he had the audacity to tell her *no*, that the fleeing ‘rider’ wasn’t hers...but he was her suitor...they were *all* hers. Hers to pick and choose the best of. So, as Bl’by stepped in her path, despite his soft but firm voice her hands curled up a little bit even as her lip did the same thing staring at him with possessive anger in her eyes. 


Arendelth, glancing back at the blue Traynth who’s counterpart on the ground was causing so many problems, watched the agile blue seeming to dance behind her keeping up with her many dashes and turns, her twirls and barrel rolls. She noticed that, pleased at the capability of this suitor to be a possible match for her, and so this time she didn’t growl at him in the air. 


But then Kinara/Arendelth lifted her chin and turned away from Bl’by to sway toward another rider stepping close to Lor’ci but not close enough for him to touch her quite yet. She drew his gaze with her movements, enjoying knowing he was watching her and wanting her just like his dragon counterpart was wanting Arendelth up in the sky. 


As the green suddenly had images of the sky and feelings of encouragement in her mind, Arendelth turned to Koetith and gave him a trill of happiness at his words and images. Arendelth watched as Koetith skillfully used a small shift in the wind to put him just that much closer, and still wanting to keep things going just a *little* longer the green put on a small burst of speed to keep distance between her and Koetith. 


When Get’ew spoke and drew her attention, Kinara/Arendelth left where she was standing by Lor’ci and drifted over toward the taller man, tilting her head to the side curiously at his words. She gave a pleased sound at his words before saying, sounding far away, “Well said, brown...Mine Needed, I Flew to Provide.” 


Pengith, with his wise response to her query, drew Arendelth’s attention and her admiration at his gracious answer. The brown had even said he *needed* her, needed her speed and her agility. Arendelth, quite pleased with his saying outright that he needed her, tilted her wings toward him so that she could better admire him. 


Kinara/Arendelth’s eyes glanced over Rena, teasingly walking over toward the other woman but continued to stay just out of reach with her movements that were slowly looking more and more fluid and less stilted. Her hands even drifted up once or twice to the buttons of her shirt as if tempted to undo a few of them, but then stopped just before her fingers could. 


And then her other wingmate drew her attention with his flowing words, his promise to defend her. And to let him command her. But *she* didn’t really want to lead...she wanted someone strong to lean on, to be her support...to be her friend, but she didn’t want to lead them. She was only a green, after all. But, his other words had painted a beautiful picture to the green and so she showed her appreciation with a rumble of pleasure. 


Arendelth was...getting tired. Flitting back and forth in the air, darting forward after letting one get close enough to think he stood a chance, then shooting to the side in a neat twist of her wings before diving with a small barrel roll only to spent time climbing up high again even though she sought out every warm thermal she could to boost her up higher. But even using every trick she knew, she could feel the weariness in her muscles beginning to tremble and she knew she’d have to pick soon from one of her suitors, those who hadn’t been left behind that is.


She was gravitating toward 3 specific blue dragons the most, her clutch brother or either of her wingmates as she was the most familiar with them. Arendelth flitted between them, studying their movements, their flying, seeing if any of them were abnormally tired. Trying to choose the *best* option for her and her lifemate, for what they needed tonight. Trying to outlast the burn in her muscles, she’d *just about* made her choice and banked her wings to head toward large and steady blue Trometh, when out of the corner of her eye she saw a *different* suitor, one the color of trees able to withstand windstorms and monsoons. Turning to look at brown Pengith, his impressive words fresh in her head, and suddenly in an agile twist of her wings that was...actually a bit painful as Arendelth jerked herself around, the glowing green headed straight toward Pengith with a simple {{You need me? And I accept you. Fly with me Pengith...be our steady shoulder, our rock...our tree in a storm.}} And the green embraced with the brown, tail twining with his.


Kinara/Arendelth, who’d been heading for D’vik at the same time her green had seemed to have made up her mind, reaching out a hand to her clutch-sibling...her weyrlinghood classmate. But, when Arendelth suddenly did that painful twist in the air a hiss of pain escaped Kinara’s lips as she flinched back...and then she froze as Arendelth twined her tail...not with Trometh but with...with a brown dragon instead. Turning, movements a bit more hesitant now than they had been before even though Arendelth had made her choice, Kinara/Arendelth turned her hazel gaze upon Get’ew. Without speaking she took the couple steps toward this unknown brownrider to put herself just within reach of him being able to embrace her slightly trembling small frame. Then, in a flash of Kinara breaking through so very briefly she pulled in a sudden breath and shot D’vik a glance over her shoulder as she nearly whispered the plea to her former classmate of “Please..stay too?”



On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM Kouga <hanjikouga@...> wrote:
Koetith didn't like speaking, it worked for him and Lor'ci rather
well. His rider was not big on chatter unless it had to do with
keeping others safe and he was the same. {{Fly high, fly fast!}} he
encourage Arendelth offering his wingmate feelings of encouragement
and images of the sky. He had long ago realized that Firelizards had
the best way to talk, they offer words when they were not what was
needed. It was the feeling and the images those words provided that
was needed. He had long ago decided that he preferred to speak as
Gentinds did and it was what he did most times too. He felt a shift in
the winds, a slight breeze, and shifted himself to catch the turmal he
had felt. He was careful as ever to work with the lift provided
instead of against it knowing that it would help with just that flying
higher and faster.

Lor'ci shifted a bit where he stood with the other male's riders. This
was not how he had seen this day going by any means, but if it was how
it was to be then so be it. Though he would be remembering to add this
to his list of things that had happened while the candidates were on a
trip. Why did these trips alway seem to have such issues? It really
would be better to just not do them anymore he thought. Though the
problem is he also thought the candidate kind of needed these trips
too. It really was one of those things he would have to consider
later, when he could properly focus. Right now he didn't have enough
mind to focus on that. He was too focused on watching Kinara, too
focused on seeing Arendelth through Koetith's eyes, too focused on the
burn rushing through them both. That was taking too much of his focus
to bother with much else right now and for right now that is also what
he needed to stop thinking about it all so he finally let the last of
those thoughts drift away and glanced around at the other riders gaze
seeing but not seeing them even as Koetith offered a glance at the
other chasing males before focusing back on Arendelth.

--------

{{Of course lovely green one.}} Pengith agreed easily {{Leaders  me
and mine may be, but we can only lead if others are willing to follow.
The only way others will follow is if we are aware they are just as
great as we are. I am large yes, it does mean I can fly longer, but I
do not have your speed I can not turn as fast as you. That means that
I will always need you green one, and I would hope you would always
accept me in return.}} he offered in explanation. It was what he had
learned with his rider during their turns as a Wingsecond. Sure he had
seen it before, but now it was always a thought on his mind. He was
large, but that didn't make him better, he needed the smaller dragons
especially the little greens to keep him safe just as he did his best
to keep them all safe. They were all needed and all equal and he would
not hide that these were his thoughts on it.

Get'ew nodded his understanding of Kinara's words "Do not be sorry,
they do what they must to make sure we take care of ourselves." it
took a moment to come up with the words, but he knew them to be the
truth. Pengith wanted him to forget his job for just a bit and when
things threatened it the brown used what he could to enforce the
'order'. While he was sure if they hadn't come it wouldn't have been a
flight, he was sure there would have been something the brown would
have found. Still it wasn't that he minded a flight, it wasn't that he
minded giving himself to Pengith and flying, it was the look on
Kinara's face and his thoughts that his wing and wingleader may need
him that did it.

Still as the moments passed Kinara clearly was becoming less agitated
he let it pass through him as well. It really wouldn't do any good to
fight and all they could all do now go with things he supposed. So go
with things he would and he really didn't mind flights, but had a
feeling this one was going to not end up quite right one way or
another. Still if she needed protection, if she needed comfort, he
would do what he could for her.

----------------

Hobath offered a pleased rumble in return to his green wingmate {{I
will fly for you as long as I am able.}} he promised her wings working
hard to push him after Arendelth, to make sure he didn't lose her. He
had seen her fly and knew she was beautiful to watch in threadfall,
nearly as beautiful as she was now. {{Let the winds be your guide
beautiful green and show us how flying can be! My wings will always be
strong in defence and deference to you Atendelth! They are yours to
command.}} and for now as always he meant it. He didn't bother to
chase often, but when he did he gave his everything to it and to the
green. Though it certainly didn't hurt that this was his wingmate, a
green he already.

Rena found herself more able to relax and join Hobath despite
everything the more it looked like Kinara was actually relaxing. She
wasn't sure how well the other would cope once they weren't flying,
once they didn't have dragons to help distract them, but she reminded
herself again she had her kit just incase. It wouldn't have anything
for panicing or anything or the sort; but she had seen Kinara and
hoped that at the very least as a wingmate it could help if anything
went wrong because she really wasn't sure based on the other girl's
reaction if this was going to end up well after the fact.

Why did things like this keep happening? Not the flight of course, but
the attack on the hatching grounds. The worst part though was it
seemed to keep happening to Foreth and especially her gold eggs.

-----------------

V'jal had debated he had, and he could feel Zuhelth in the back of his
mind seeking the comfort he didn't know how to offer right now. His
mind was in too many places, there had been too much happen recently,
and he just had to let her be comforted by Pensherth for now. Right
now he needed comfort too and while he felt bad not turning to Cosi,
he knew the blue rider understood that sometimes he still needed to
try. He offered another glance at his weyrmate before he made his way
the last little bit to the other riders involved in the flight hoping
to try and catch someone once all was said and done.

ooc: yes 'Jal is playing moth just as an fyi if anyone wants to grab
him after the next post; same fer if anyone wants Rena though also fyi
probably gonna end up with her pregnant if someone does

*Kouga*

Join the Aywas fun - http://aywas.com/register.php?ref=768

"My personality is 30% the last anime I watched." - Tumblr
"Remind me never to get out our bad side. It seems to be ...
unhealthy." - Varric
"Death By Apple Pie a lovely poem by our friend Cole" - Dorian
On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 2:24 AM Rosiegirl <rosiegirl872@...> wrote:
>
> To Sixanth, Pengith, and then to Hobath’s comments to her, the green angled her wing slightly to shift toward each of the males in turn and give them a flirty little look over her wing, showing off the streak of paler green hide as she did so. Sixanth’s compliment along with his overconfident statement earned the young brown a snort of amusement at his presumption as she said to him {{Of course I will Fly high and strong. Love is not fragile nor is it just beautiful, and neither am I! However, it remains to be seen if you will be the one Flying with me at the end, the one who actually catches me, brash Sixanth. But compliments are never unappreciated when offered.}}
>
> Pengith, as she swing her head to examine the older brown who was so *very* large for a brown, earned him an appreciative look as he called out to her not with honeyed words and statements of catching her but instead of being ‘conquered’ his words were the idea that they could catch something together. Like equals, maybe? The green wondered if a brown that was so large could mean that. Rumbling in pleasure as she tilted a wing and swung slightly closer to him, giving the brown a little bit of hope, Arendelth queried the large brown with {{Do you mean catch the skies together, like equals, wise Pengilth?}}
>
> As Hobath called out to her, Arendelth turned her gaze on her Wingmate as she once again gave a tilt of her wings to angle herself slightly toward him. His complimenting her, not just on her beauty but also her skill in flying that this blue had actually had occasion to experience during Threadfall, the green gave a happy trill to the blue and responded back {{Striking Hobath, yes I will choose. Follow me, Fly with me, Show Yourself and me the strength in your wings to Fly to the end.}} And with that, Arendelth gave another flirty twist of her head at the blue before she darted away to tease another one of her suitors.
>
>
> The green glanced back, examining those who remained silent as she remembered a saying from her person...that it was the quiet ones you had to watch out for. She noticed the skill with which Panteranth was flying, the dappled look along his wings and side, his overall sleek look as he flew and with her own small and slender size she considered how well matched they would look. But then she turned to examine another potential mate, willing to bide her time and see if the sleek blue would be able to last with her.
>
>
> As more riders joined the quartet already gathered close to her, and more dragons followed Arendelth’s green glowing form higher as she used any advantage she could to keep the distance between her and those following behind, Kinara kept her arms wrapped protectively around her as she moved around the area nervously and also keeping the riders at a distance. In the back of her mind, Kinara recognized a couple of her Wingmates joining those around her and there was a breath released in a rush as if she might just be able to relax now that she knew some of the riders around her more. But in the forefront of her mind was the need to keep them at bay, to keep out of reach, and that’s what she did. To Get’ew’s apology, Kinara gave a shake of her head saying back “No...no I’m sorry, for *her* doing this.”
>
>
> When K’sway, who she’d been sharp with as he’d gotten too close, and the other riders kept their distance and gave her space, just as their dragons up in the air continued to follow hers, Kinara’s quick and flustered breathing slowed down just a bit as she began to rub her palms against her upper arms as if trying to smooth out the shivers of desire she was feeling from her green that made her tremble just a bit as she watched the gathered riders with wary eyes. But she could feel more of Arendelth overriding her wariness, her panic, just a bit more as Kinara’s breathing stabilized at the arrival of a couple of her Wingmates. They protected her during Fall, so surely they would protect her here, if needed.
>
>
> With a bit more of Arendelth’s thoughts flowing into her, Kinara’s hazel eyes turned to the ‘rider’ Bl’by had previously snapped atas he spoke, registering his words but not understanding why he looked shocked...Surely his dragon had *told* him that he was chasing Arendelth, right? Why else would he be gathered with the rest of the potential suitors. And when he began backing away, not quite catching Tolfast’s words to Bl’by, and Arendelth realized someone was *leaving*, there was a surge of feelings from Arendelth of hurt and...and *outrage* that it seemed one of her suitors didn’t actually want her, hurt and outrage that was echoed on Kinara’s face as she stared at Tolfast. The Flying green gave a roar of outrage high up in the air, turning to look over her shoulder, to see if she could see one of *her* males dropping away so quickly from following her, but it didn’t look like any of them were...which confused the green just as much as her rider down on the ground.
>
>
> And then Bl’by, whose lifemate had been the first to follow after Arendelth, the first to present himself to Kinara and try to comfort her, put a *hand* on the abandoner’s shoulder...all Kinara saw through the filter of her dragon was that one of *her* suitors was...was either running off another one, or...or the lusty green didn’t *know* what, but all she knew was that through her person’s eyes it looked as if *she* was not the focus anymore. Arendelth, Flying high up in the air, should be the center of all her suitors attention, no one else...and the hand on someone else’s shoulder was a step too far for the green.
>
> And so, just as Arendelth swung her head around to pin Traynth with a small growl, making sure the blue was still focused on her, that same soft, low growl echoed out of Kinara’s throat before she knew what was happening and there was a flash of...of possessiveness in her gaze as she watched Bl’by’s hand on Tolfast’s shoulder. As far as Arendelth was concerned, until *she* chose who she wanted, they were *all* hers and should focus only on her. And then...and then the ‘rider’ who was taking one of her suitor’s attention fled, and Kinara’s still red-rimmed eyes watched him as he left, but they were less wary than before with the possessive feelings she’d received from Arendelth.
>
>
> Kinara, still just barely hanging on to herself, felt...more than a bit unsettled by the fierce possessive feeling she was getting from Arendelth and gave a brisk shake of her head as she rubbed at her face a moment. But, as she realized that moment of distraction could be the moment any one of those gathered could get to close Kinara’s head came abruptly back up to watch them all carefully. Now, however, her arms were no longer crossed in front of her but loose at her sides and her movements to keep the riders at bay which had looked much like a skittish runner were...not *quite* that anymore. Now, the movements were a bit smoother, a bit...just a little bit more teasing, as if they were heading toward sultry the more Kinara let herself connect with Arendelth.
>
>
> She no longer looked or sounded quite so distressed as she was no longer murmuring apologies as riders gathered...but she didn’t quite look happy yet. More...more like she was calming down enough to be resigned to the early Flight, and whatever panic she might feel later for not getting a chance to be mentally prepared due to Arendelth just...just Flying when she shouldn't have...well, come what may. It’s not like she could stop whatever potential flashback reaction she might have...not at this point, not if all the preparation she’d done before and her past Flight experiences hadn’t helped her get to the point where it wouldn’t happen. She...she hoped it wouldn’t, but..at this point there was no help for it if it did and she would just have to cope.
>
>
> Up in the air, as Arendelth finished getting Traynth’s attention with her small growl, when she did a smooth barrel roll in the other direction, glancing back only once to see if Traynth was still following her, she caught sight of a familiar blue in her chasers. Swinging her head toward Trometh, giving a happy rumble, the green responded with {{Brother Trometh, I need you...I need all of you, right now, just as mine needs all of yours for comfort from the sad. But soon...soon we’ll only need one. Until then, we need you all.}}
>
>
> As another rider moved to join them, as if arriving specifically to fill the spot of the ‘rider’ who had fled earlier, all Kinara registered at first was a tanned, bare chest...a *very handsomely muscular* bared chest at that...and her breath caught in her throat at the sight. And then his voice, sounding just that touch growly as he spoke her name, had Kinara swallowing hard before she looked up from that chest...and up...and up. He should have been intimidating, would have been approaching her like this, if she hadn’t let more of Arendelth take over. She had just enough of her to recognize that the bluerider was one of the FeastCrashers, one of her class, and Kinara let out one more apology, one that was even more heartfelt than the others had been despite his reassurances, and stammered out “D’vik...oh..oh Shells...that’s right, you’re here too! I’m, oh gosh, I’m really sorry!”
>
>
> But, even as she stammered out her apology and she noticed that he kept himself just as distant from her as the rest of the riders that she’d warned back, she couldn’t help that her gaze dropped back to his bare chest for a long moment before her eyes shifted to the other riders. Her red-rimmed hazel eyes, her cheeks flushed, her hands loose by her side revealing her bra-bandless chest as it rose and fell under her shirt. And, just as Arendelth began flowing through the air almost teasing each of her chasers, Kinara’s gaze turned teasing toward the riders surrounding her as she gave up the fight and let her green take over the last of the resistance she felt. She even began to sway not away but slightly closer to one rider after another...just as Arendelth wasn’t sure of her choice yet...
>
>
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:15 PM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@...> wrote:
>>
>> Now Trometh, well he wasn't one that chased all the time. Something D'vik had always been a little relieved about. But this time, sensing the distress of his clutch mate. Trometh felt he must do what he was charged with and protect her from others, and possibly from herself. Within seconds of her launch, the large blue was in the air. He didn't waste much time in, what were to him pointless flatteries. He eyed the other chasers, and dismissed the other blues out of hand. He knew he was larger and had more stamina than they did. The brown got a good long look, but was ignored a moment later.
>>
>> He simply wasn't important, only Arendelth was important. He flew as fast, and close as he dared. Saying to her simply.
>>
>> (( I am here for you sister, if you need me.))
>>
>> He was wasted on pointless flattery, but he was there for her nonetheless. He'd make no pretty speeches, he didn't need to. He was there, that's what mattered.
>>
>> D'vik barely had a moment to register that something was Happening before Trometh was gone, he reached out to the large blue, and got the simple answer of ((I chase.))
>>
>> D'vik was a man who rarely cursed, but this time, the unexpected brought it out of him. "Shards." He threw his shirt, which he'd just removed down on his bed, where Bubu, his baby wher immediately curled up with it. Turning to his flits, he devoutly hoped that Elon was up to watching both Fabio and the wher, at least for a while.
>>
>> "All of you, Stay Here." Then he left his tent and joined the knot of people. Hearing Kinara's pleas and hurried explanations, his heart hurt for her, and being the protective type that he was, D'vik tried his best to angle his body close to hers but not in a way that would be intimidating. He knew from their weyrling days that she was a shy one.
>>
>> "It's alright Kinara." D'vik ground out, his voice a bit more growly than was normal for him.
>> --
>>
>> Have fun with any of my characters. Alyx, Lerian (candidates), Vayka (Healer), J'hen, D'vik, Teyra, Cotai (Riders), Rotasta (AWLM)
>
>




In the Comfort of Each Other's Arms JP Sarati/Shalia

sailyn2
 

The night had already been a long one. Kasheth’s warning came through to Kabelth just shortly before Foreth started keening and Kabelth lent her sorrowful cry. Sarati waited for the inevitable knock on her door, a skin of wine ready.


And that knock came fairly quickly after the second round of keening.  As soon as the door was open, a rather pale and distraught Shalia stumbled in.  "Oh Faranth, Sar, it was awful!" she said, falling into her lover's arms.


Sarati grabbed her and pulled her over to her bed. She’d been expecting her sister sooner than that. 


“Were you caught up at the Barracks?” she asked, hugging Shalia tight to her side. “Do you want something to drink?”


"Oh yes, definitely," Shalia responded fervently, spotting the wine and taking a long pull directly from the skin.  Sometimes one just couldn't stand on ceremony.  She snuggled into Sarati's side after, shivering just a little before answering the first question.


"No, I was talking with R'tal when it happened, and he took off, and I just stuck with him.  So I actually got into the Hatching Caverns.  It was an *explosion*, 'Rati!"  She sat up a little, quickly reassuring her sister.  "Aunt Kassia  was hurt, but I heard she's gonna be fine.  Hit her head and I think broke her arm maybe?  I'm not sure.  But she's okay, and so's the babe."


Relief ran through Sarati at the knowledge, but a thought occurred to her. “Why...why was Foreth keening?” she asked tentatively. There was more to this story and she knew she wasn’t going to like it.


"Several of the eggs were smashed," Shalia said grimly.  "Talith and Truenoth were blinded, but I overheard Larsin say he thinks they should recover in time.  But the keening was for the hatchlings.  First when Foreth realized what… had happened, and then after she brought them between."  She'd almost let slip how the eggs had gotten smashed, but managed to catch herself just in time.  Nobody who didn't already know needed to know. 


“Poor Foreth,” Sarati said. She stroked along Shalia’s side, needing the comfort as much as she was giving it. “Poor Talith and Truenoth. Poor Hatchlings.” Was Shalia’s Hatchling one of the ones that had been smashed? They might never know. 


“I assume both gold eggs are okay?” She had a feeling *everyone* would know if either of the gold eggs hadn’t made it.


Shalia nodded.  "Yeah, they're fine, as far as I know."  She let out a small chuckle.  "I didn't actually see them, or any of the rest of the surviving ones."  Left unspoken was the suggestion she'd seen the smashed ones.  "I was too busy trying to comfort Foreth.  Figures, right?"shalia snuggled 


If Sarati caught the implication, she didn’t push it. She merely snuggled Shalia closer against her.


“I’m glad Foreth had you there since mom wasn’t able to be there,” she said. “Foreth is strong, but even she need comfort once in a while. She seems to like you the most.”


Shalia snuggled in, hands starting to make small movements on her sister's body. Cuddling was nice, really nice in fact, but she needed more.  "Me too.  I'm still pissed at her, but I'm glad I could be there for her.  Even if she makes me wish she didn't like me so much."  


“She sees something in you,” Sarati said, letting her fingers roam a little, too. She gave a teasing grin. “Maybe really big, golden things.”


Shalia smacked her herplayfully.  "I'm sure she's hoping that, but I sure as shards don't!"  She turned towards her more, nuzzling Sarati's neck.  "There's only one thing I want to see in me right now, 'Rati," she whispered.  Prohibitions be shafted.


Sarati knew she should say no, but somehow Sarati doubted that if they took a roll in the furs that it would make any difference. And this might be the last chance she could hold Shalia in her arms for ten months, if Shalia was lucky. Sarati would miss her, but she’d never stand in the way of her near-sister Impressing. And she wasn’t going to stand in the way of the two of them being together that night.


“We have all night,” Sarati said.





Shh, No, Don't Scream – We Need to Talk (jp: N'shen, R'tal)

Aaron
 

Two in the morning was a fine time to have sudden realisations of things undone and things that needed to be done. Particularly when you’d dealt with an emergency for most of the previous day. R’tal muttered in his sleep, shifting drowsily and then opening his eyes wide, abruptly completely awake.

Something needed doing.

With the clarity of purpose that came from being suddenly awake at two in the morning he gently distangled himself from his weyrmate (it was hardly the first time he’d needed to manage that without waking K’ren) and rolled away, pushing himself to his feet. N’shen had been sleeping around here somewhere. Still dressed only in the underwear he’d been sleeping in he padded over to find him, eyes squinting in the darkness.

N'shen lay with his backside pressed against that of his own sleeping (and rather pregnant) weyrmate. They were a bit beyond snuggling at this point, as the baby made such things uncomfortable, but they still slept where they could touch each other.

“Are you awake?” There was a moment where R’tal almost shook the wrong shoulder in the dark, but it seemed unlikely N’shen would have an abdomen that large.

N'shen opened one eye and bit back a gasp. Who was –

Oh, right. He was in the Hatching Cavern. And that was R'tal. He very carefully extricated himself from his bed without moving Cotai too much, and then stood.

"What's wrong?" he whispered.

“No current emergency. But we need to talk,” R’tal murmured back, voice low. “While the dragons are asleep. Can you creep out?”

N'shen shot a glance to Cotai and then to Truenoth. A few moments later, he answered, "Yes," and followed R'tal to a place where they could talk without worrying who they would wake.

The Stands had seats at least, even if most of them were still covered in sand from the events of the day before. R’tal swept one mostly clean and then sat down. “You realise, don’t you,” he said quietly “that they’ll only remember if we make them.”

"Remember what?" N'shen asked, raising an eyebrow. He supposed it was likely they would be able to forget the tragedy of losing eggs – dragons could forget most anything unpleasant… But why that should be news to him, he was not sure. So perhaps R'tal meant something else.

“They’ll remember, I think that something bad happened - or Foreth will at least.” At least, going by previous Clutches she would hold onto that. “But the detail, the -- how they were broken, how they looked--” He shuddered a moment. There were reasons not to have this discussion with the dragons awake. “They’ll remember if we remember seeing them and let ourselves think on it, but otherwise..” He glanced to where Foreth had taken the gold eggs. “And Kassia,” he said very very quiet now “has nothing to remember.”

"Yes…" N'shen said, his tone rising curiously. There had to be somewhere else R'tal was going with this. Did he think N'shen was going to dwell on that image any more than he had to? He was going to forget about it as soon as he could. Distract. Distance. Something. Anything to keep his mind off of it.

“So we’re agreed then.” R’tal sounded relieved. “The eggs broke in the explosion.”

Ah, there it was. They were getting their story straight. N'shen sighed. He could not argue with it. It was about more than just protecting Truenoth and Talith. The whole Weyr did not need that mental image, did not need that… doubt about Foreth in the backs of their heads. She was going to be beating herself up enough as it was.

"Agreed," he said.

“And we don’t mention -- let her think they died like the ones in the earthquake,” R’tal said. “Tell her we checked this time so it couldn’t happen again.” It would leave them as the only ones to know, but it would save so much hurting.

"Agreed." If N'shen had to lie for some reason, any reason, this was the best one. To protect his Weyrwoman, his friend, from this pain. This sorrow.

"Won't Foreth tell her?" he asked.

“I don’t know,” R’tal admitted. He stared at the Sands a moment, at the vague shapes of sleeping dragons, considering. “I know Kass and Foreth’s bond has always been..different, and Kassia will be a while recovering anyway. By the time she’s understanding, it’s possible Foreth’s memory will already be fuzzy.” He shook his head. “If she finds out, she finds out and she can yell at me for it if she needs to. Still worth trying.”

N'shen nodded. "You're right. It's worth the risk of her getting angry to protect her from this. How's, uh… is your daughter OK?" he asked. Was that Shalia his daughter? "Your assistant? Whoever she is?"

“My daughter?” R’tal looked blank, too tired for his brain to catch up on who N’shen meant.

"The girl. Who came to the Caverns with you – she saw, too," said N'shen. "She's somebody's daughter…" Well, obviously, somebody's. But somebody important. "Shalia, right? But then, if she's not your daughter, I probably have the name wrong, too…"

“Oh! No, just my assistant,” R’tal reassured him. “Sh’ain’s daughter, though Kass had a hand in raising her.” Well, in a way so had he, though strictly in a ‘small child I vaguely know’ sense. “I’ll talk to her tomorrow -- today?”

"Ah, that was probably it. I must have been thinking of Kassia," N'shen said. It was late. Or early. "Make sure she knows what happened. It won't do if she undermines the official events…"

“You can trust Shalia,” R’tal said. “I’ll talk to her though. Talith’s resting a lot in the day anyway, I can catch her then.” He hesitated. “How’s Truenoth? I mean.. I know how they say they are..”

"He's… steeling himself to be blind for the rest of his life," said N'shen. And so was he. How long would they give it before he would be asked to step down? He did not want to think about it. He had waited his whole life for this, and now… "And Talith? Other than the sleeping?"

“Quiet.” R’tal sighed. “Subdued. Not himself. He won’t pass messages in case any of them ask how he is because he doesn’t want to tell them.” Which wasn’t that different from his rider, not really. “He’s trying to sleep until something changes I think.”

"I think Truenoth likes wallowing in it," N'shen admitted. "He thinks he deserves to feel sad and… and all this. Like he's punishing himself for letting this happen. So he's staying awake when he can. Asleep now, thank Faranth."

Which again wasn’t too far from his rider. R’tal could see that, even as he stubbornly denied his own parallels with Talith. He glanced sideways at N’shen. “It wasn’t your fault,” he said quietly.

"Maybe not," said N'shen. "But it was my responsibility. It happened on my watch." He sighed. R'tal really had him figured out. "I have to… I don't know. Do something. There's no making this right, but I can find whoever did it and…" And what?

“And hurt them until you feel better?” There was a tired dryness in R’tal’s tone. “Yeah. That’s what scares me a little.” He rubbed his head. “People with hurt dragons make terrible decision makers, you know?”

N'shen rubbed his face. R'tal was not wrong. But even if N'shen should step back, there had to be justice. And they had to find the perpetrators, or else they could never rest. It could happen again any time.

"We have to do something to stop this happening again. What if they've already prepared to hit us again the day of the Hatching? What if they don't have to do anything else before then but stroll right in with the families?"

R’tal tipped his head up, gazing up into the dark of the Cavern a moment. “...Should we let the families in?”

N'shen had admittedly not even considered that they would be allowed to keep them out. That Kassia would allow it. But maybe after this had happened…

"We should make the case that we shouldn't," said N'shen. "This hasn't exactly been an ordinary time."

“I don’t think it’s a matter of making a case right now,” R’tal said soberly. “Kass, by all reports, isn’t up to making decisions. So far as decision making goes, I’m afraid we’re it.”

"Then the case is made. They can wait in the Dining Cavern or… no, the feast may have to be outside. Someplace unexpected, where they wouldn't have had time to be ready to hit it. But… then it would also need to be someplace we can control access when the time comes." N'shen's head hurt. There were too many variables.

“Can we think of a reason to just leave them at home this once that won’t cause a panic?” R’tal was staring into the darkness still, trying to think. “I just..don’t want that many strangers in my Weyr. We can put them wherever we want but if they’re the ones who come in wanting to cause trouble..”

"I don't think the families are going to cause trouble – it's that they're going to make it easier for people who aren't supposed to be here to get in," N'shen sighed. "And maybe we do just leave them where they are this time. It's…" He could scarcely gather his own thoughts.

"They won't have another chance to see their families for months. But how many of them would see their families anyway? I don't know. I haven't been home since Truenoth won. And it had even been a while before that. I don't even remember whether we told my mother Cotai is expecting."

More guilt.

“Don’t look at me. I was Creche-raised, pretty much,” R’tal admitted, shrugging a little. “Got a pack of siblings scattered around Pern but it’s not like we see each other. I guess Hold families miss each other more though.”

"It depends on the Hold family…" N'shen smiled sadly. "I stayed away for a long time after I came here. But I went back when Gebrand was born. And then I started going back more regularly… especially when Gebrand's mum died. But it's been a while now."

“Gebrand is your little one?” R’tal made a vague motion at around knee-height in the dark. “I assumed he was your weyrmate’s.” Why he wasn’t sure. It wasn’t as though it wasn’t easy to sire a few kids without meaning to all over the place.

"He's mine," N'shen confirmed. "But he's pretty much adopted Cotai, too." The boy was a bit taller than knee-high now, but R'tal seemed to have a bit of trouble keeping track of children.

"My family has a bit of a weird tradition of giving children new names instead of blending together the parents' names." That might explain it. Gebrand certainly did not sound like N'shen. Or Neoshen.

“Makes sense. Once you have a few it’s difficult to come up with decent names anyway,” R’tal allowed. “I’m always amazed Kassia hasn’t yet run out of ideas.”

"I guess it helps if you don't always have the same father. Or the same mother," said N'shen. "What… what do you think she'll name the baby?" he wondered. Suddenly, when he considered in this context that nobody knew who the father was, it seemed a lot more important what the child's name would be.

“Something based on her name?” R’tal honestly hadn’t put more than five seconds thought into it. “I don’t know. Women always seem to have more ideas for those things.”

"Yeah," N'shen nodded. "That makes sense." If she picked one of them, one of the… however many of them might be the father, she would be slighting all the rest. So the child would probably have her name only. He wished he had thought to talk to her about it before…

Something in his tone had R’tal squinting at him in the half-light. “Ah. You’re the type who wants to be involved?” Somehow it had never occurred to him, despite all available evidence, that N’shen might be.

"I guess you can take the man out of the Hold…" N'shen shrugged. He was fairly certain he had grown beyond judging others for not wanting to be involved, but he could not imagine leaving a child without a father. It was just not his way.

"I think Kassia won't mind, even if the baby, ah… doesn't take after me. She told me… well, she said the baby would not want for loving parents."

“Oh, she wouldn’t.” R’tal was quick to reassure him there. “Kass isn’t the type to mind.”

N'shen smiled, taking that small comfort. At least he had his newborn children to look forward to. And he was glad Truenoth was asleep. He did not have all of his children any more. N'shen sighed again. The comfort was a fleeting thing.

"So. No families. And perhaps a delayed feast. They'll have a small one now, and a big one later. Maybe when they come out of seclusion." Or maybe not, if they still had not found who was responsible.

"Who could possibly have a motive to do something like this?"

That brought R’tal to silence for a long painful stretch, lips pressing together tightly as he considered his words.

“You never want to think it might be another Weyr,” he said finally, quietly. “But two golds is always a contentious thing.”

"Then you don't think this is related to the attempt on Kassia's life at the Gather?" N'shen wondered. He had assumed the attacks had to have been related, and the other weyrs would not have known about the gold eggs when the attack happened, unsuccessful though it had been in more ways than one.

“Or both were.” And that just didn’t make sense; there hadn’t been gold eggs known of then. But R’tal was tired and stressed and it was hard to think straight. “I’m not sure the newcomers at Fort have much reason to like us.”

"Maybe not, but not liking someone is a far cry from setting out to murder them and their dragons," N'shen huffed. "I hardly think Cathern is going to try to take Kassia and Foreth out just to see Andronda take the position. She's from here, and we're already more or less on her side; she wouldn't. And who else has someone to take over? Are they going to send in a gold of their own to snipe it? Who else is ready to rise soon?"

“You don’t have to snipe it.” R’tal spoke from long and painful experience. “That’s why I got M’gal and T’ryn put in so fast. You call a Conclave, declare existing Weyrleadership incapable and import your own leaders.” As Fort had once, so many turns ago. “Doesn’t happen often; no-one wants to call that down because once Weyr autonomy is breached we might all start looking at other Weyr leadership really hard. But if they had reason to think we couldn’t cope..” Like a blind dragon, like impaired judgement, like a Weyrwoman too injured to work..

"Feh. That's not a precedent any of them should want to set. All it takes is a bit of cloak and dagger, and suddenly, the other weyrs are taking over? Who… who can we count as allies? Telgar, High Reaches… Would Igen and Ista side with Fort?"

N'shen might have expected Benden to align with the old Fort, but did they have any reason to side with the new?

“You realise right there you’ve got probable cause and reason to move against us,” R’tal pointed out. “Why can we depend on Telgar and High Reaches as allies? Because we’ve installed our golds as Weyrwomen? That’s all well and good but if you were say, Ista right now and recovering from a period of instability would you welcome two more Arolos golds?”

"To them, it looks like we're the ones trying to take over the world, eh?" said N'shen. He sighed again. "We can't just… accuse anyone without proof. And I think we should be prepared to have someone looking somewhere else. You're not the only one clever enough to put this train of thought together. Maybe there's someone out there who wants us to blame the other weyrs. We'll have to start with the ones who were digging the pond, building the temporary structures. Find out where they're from, who they know, who has leverage over them."

“Oh, they might well,” R’tal agreed. “In fact, with my history they might well be doing just that. And even knowing that, you know, it’s working. I’m angry, my dragon hurts and right now if you told me you thought it was High Reaches I’d still probably take a long hard look at F’lorian.” And F’lorian was as friendly as Weyrleaders could get. He sighed. “I’m serious. I don’t think I trust me to investigate this.”

"And we probably shouldn't trust me to investigate it, either… but I will take responsibility for overseeing the investigation," said N'shen. "If you don't object. I can work with the Guard Captain. I'll leave the interrogations to him, but I'll speak with him, stay on top of the reports and make the decisions on what leads we'll follow."

R’tal nodded. “It’s that or ask someone independent to do it, but if you feel you can..”

"Do you have anyone in mind?" asked N'shen. Who else beside the Guard Captain was qualified? Surely, no one else had the same stake in the outcome. "Do you think we could trust an outsider? It wouldn't be doing weyr autonomy any favors if we asked Prental to do it…"

“Oh, dear Faranth, no.” R’tal’s eyes went wide for a moment at that. “No, shells no. I like Prental well enough, but not enough for that. No. It would be a Wingleader or WingSecond most like, but I just put the two I trust most in charge of our riders so..” He looked again over to the sleeping humps of the dragons. “It feels as though the less people we tell about this, the less it will be true, you know?”

"I understand. I… I need something to do. I know there's… that there's plenty. But let me have this for now, and if I mess it up, we can ask someone else to take over. If there even is anyone else who can," said N'shen. He felt more determined now than ever. He could do this. He would have a professional's help.

“You won’t mess it up. I trust you,” R’tal assured him. “Are you all right leaving Truenoth to sort it though?”

"If I don't think about it too much, then I can be," said N'shen. He had hoped R'tal would not point out that he would need to. But he would just have to deal with it. "I think… I think he'll want someone doing this just as much as we do. We're going to make it work."


Re: Crispy, but not Chicken (attn: Hathayn, any healer)

Kate Polsom
 

“Well then, good thing I was here,” Lorithi said with a gentle smile,”Come with me and we’ll take a look at them. Did you happen to bring any of your healer records with you? If not, let me know who your healer was an I will send a message via firelizard to retrieve them.”

She led the way towards an exam room.


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, September 4, 2020, 1:55 PM, Mya L. R. <mleesan@...> wrote:

There was a moment of hesitation as Hathayn looked around to see whether he really was the first in line to be checked.  "I suppose so...it probably isn't urgent."  His voice was rather heavy with a dreary sounding note in it.  "It is just that the healers back at Igen were still wanting someone to still keep an eye on how my burns were healing.  Dad thought it might be a good idea that the healers here were made aware of that as soon as possible."

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:10 AM Kate Polsom via groups.io <kia1983_2003=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Master Lorithi happened to be walking towards the entrance when she noticed the young man looking around, “Hello, do you need assistance today?”


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, August 30, 2020, 9:35 PM, Mya L. R. <mleesan@...> wrote:

OOC: This thread is set mid-ish month 7
IC:
The longer someone was a Healer, the more chance they would've had to see many different injuries come into the Infirmary.  Be it cuts, burns, Threadscoring, it would be hard to find something they'd not at least seen before.  The newer apprentices, however, might've not yet seen someone that had made an attempt for the extra crispy look.  Those who'd not seen it before though were about to be adding that to their experiences.

The burn scars along the teenaged lad right arm weren't fresh, but they certainly weren't faded any, making it clear those scars were still kind of recent.  His father and him had just arrived from Igen Weyr earlier that day too, so he doubted anyone there would recognize him.  Hathayn, though, entered into the Infirmary along since his father'd went to report in to the Weyrleadership.  Not that his father left him unsupervised...there was a brown dragon waiting a short distance outside the Infirmary.  But, Hathayn took several steps inside before pausing, looking around in silence at the people who were there.


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL
Discord: Neffeyn#8723



--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL
Discord: Neffeyn#8723


Re: Crispy, but not Chicken (attn: Hathayn, any healer)

Mya L. R.
 

There was a moment of hesitation as Hathayn looked around to see whether he really was the first in line to be checked.  "I suppose so...it probably isn't urgent."  His voice was rather heavy with a dreary sounding note in it.  "It is just that the healers back at Igen were still wanting someone to still keep an eye on how my burns were healing.  Dad thought it might be a good idea that the healers here were made aware of that as soon as possible."


On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:10 AM Kate Polsom via groups.io <kia1983_2003=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
Master Lorithi happened to be walking towards the entrance when she noticed the young man looking around, “Hello, do you need assistance today?”


Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, August 30, 2020, 9:35 PM, Mya L. R. <mleesan@...> wrote:

OOC: This thread is set mid-ish month 7
IC:
The longer someone was a Healer, the more chance they would've had to see many different injuries come into the Infirmary.  Be it cuts, burns, Threadscoring, it would be hard to find something they'd not at least seen before.  The newer apprentices, however, might've not yet seen someone that had made an attempt for the extra crispy look.  Those who'd not seen it before though were about to be adding that to their experiences.

The burn scars along the teenaged lad right arm weren't fresh, but they certainly weren't faded any, making it clear those scars were still kind of recent.  His father and him had just arrived from Igen Weyr earlier that day too, so he doubted anyone there would recognize him.  Hathayn, though, entered into the Infirmary along since his father'd went to report in to the Weyrleadership.  Not that his father left him unsupervised...there was a brown dragon waiting a short distance outside the Infirmary.  But, Hathayn took several steps inside before pausing, looking around in silence at the people who were there.


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL
Discord: Neffeyn#8723



--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member Name: MyaL
Discord: Neffeyn#8723


Re: Yes she's fully grown. No, we're not Weyrlings. (Dytha/D'jarin)

Nutmeg
 

"Gets boring when it's always the same ones." Dytha wasn't being rude, she was in fact being nonchalantly blunt about it. After three turns you got used to the constant barrage but it was still irritating on occasion. "I get why there's such interest in Ponth and the others from her class - especially for people coming from out of the Weyr. Plus there have been some who have taken... issue with the fact we don't fly Fall. Not by choice. Ponth is too small to sustain it as she was at the smaller end of her class but unfortunately I'm not fit enough most of the time." She might as well cover that one before he asked why she still wore Healer knots if she was a Rider now. Albeit Healer knots with a green thread.

(( Of course it is an honour. I'm positively marvellous and I know all the best places to sun! )) Ponth was unabashed in her pride. No, it wasn't as egotistical as a gold, there was a playfulness there. But she was also entirely comfortable in her own skin and had no lack of self-confidence when it came to her unusually small size.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:04 PM Steelsilver <theglitteryone2@...> wrote:

"I figured." D'jarin offered. "Got the impression you were tired of questions." 

Vizslath hummed, and the bronze rider gave his dragon an absent pat to his muzzle. "What's your name?" 

((Mine is D'jarin.)) Vizslath offered to both the green and her rider. ((It is an honor to meet you.)) 



--
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!


Re: This Is Unacceptable atten: Nayari/T'rif

Nutmeg
 

That was unexpected and Nayari gestured for T'rif to take a seat. "I see." she said with a frown. Not the usual topic of conversation. "I know that you're not the sort to come to me on a whim so tell me what's happened."

OoC: Let me know if you wanted to keep going on this one.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 9:54 PM sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
T'rif came in, shut the door, and gave a polite salute. "Ma'am, I unfortunately need to lodge a complaint against a fellow ACM."



--
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!


Re: Can *you* help *me*? (ATTN: Nyzara, Tyne)

Nutmeg
 

Tyne shrugged nonchalantly, "It's fine. It's what I'm here for." At least the conversation hadn't felt like a clumsy attempt to probe her head. And for that she was appreciative. At the end of the day she was still human, and most importantly she was a human trying to rebuild her life again. Not a pet project for someone's Master's knots. 

OoC: Can end on yours if you like!

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 9:53 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"I appreciate everything you've told me," Nyzara said, feeling that she should retreat now. She offered the other woman a smile, however, and blessed Faranth that she'd made it through the conversation.

On Aug 19, 2020, at 3:45 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

"First time? Absolutely. Shells, I still get a bit antsy when Bobbin is due. I dread to think what it'll be like when I'm juggling five gravid greens and a gold. Knowing my luck they'll all fly within a sevenday of each other." Luckily she had some time before the greens would start rising, but that in itself was going to be a nightmare. Well, at least she would have a tidy amount of eggs to make a profit of. She already had a few contacts in High Reaches who had expressed interest. 

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 10:55 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"I'll take care of here," the Mindhealer said, rubbing her gold gently between the eyes. She took in a nervous breath and asked quietly, "Is it normal to be nervous?"

On Jul 30, 2020, at 4:49 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

"Well she's going to be uncomfortable," Tyne remarked with a short laugh. "She's going to be squeezing Faranth knows how many eggs through a very small hole. But on a serious  note, I would recommend you make sure you're spending time emphasising that places you'd be happier her clutching in are very safe, very secure places. She might take to the idea."

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 5:38 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"I love her and she is my world, both figuratively and literally," Nyzara said quietly. "I'd never want her hurt or uncomfortable or alone in this."

On Jul 25, 2020, at 5:03 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

"Nothing silly about it," Tyne said with a shrug. "In fact most people don't even bother to take things like it into consideration until it's too late to do anything about it." It was very obvious that here in this place that she felt safe, she was confident and forthright, the walls of suspicion tempered by buoyant pride. In many ways, she was a wholly different person. "The very fact that you've stopped to ask is a good thing. It means you're thinking about her safety."

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 5:59 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Nyzara read her voice, heard the honesty, nodded. A hand reached out, while the other stroked Flare.

"I'm greatful for your time with me and the silly questions you've answered. I truly appreciate it, Lady Tyne."

On Jul 17, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

"Hah." The short exclamation escaped her before she had chance to contain it. "You can try and entice her by making small, secluded spots using boxes, piles of furs and the like. But she's gold. If she's going to go off somewhere, she's going off somewhere. All you can do is try and convince her in the meantime that you're the better option." Tyne didn't see any point in beating about the wherry. Golds had minds of their own and they knew it. Regardless of their size. Tyne's voice retained that matter of fact tone. She wasn't being cruel, just honest. 

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 4:41 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"What's the best method to make sure she doesn't hide this clutch?" Nyzara queried, her face open, her eyes honest. She wanted, and wondered, if they'd ever be more than at delicate odd with one another.

On Jul 3, 2020, at 1:07 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

It was tempting to be a little snide in her reply at first, a defensive reflex from the knowledge that this woman was likely using her Mindhealing training to analyse and assess everything she said, every move she made. Even if it was through her firelizard's eyes. It wasn't Nyzara's fault. Tyne just... didn't trust Mindhealers not to use every opportunity to get into her head. "Yes, more than once. More so when she was younger and stubbornly determined to hide her eggs. These days, no. She knows that her eggs are safer with me than they are anywhere else."

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 6:20 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"You speak from experience? About the cliffface, I mean."

One hand stroked the gravid gold as she awaited the reserved woman's answer. It still bothered her that she had failed; no one had said as much, but she would; with Tyne.

On Jun 24, 2020, at 3:44 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

"So it sounds as though she's picked your office. That's potentially not ideal as she might cause problems for any patients you see. Some golds can get very possessive and outright defensive, especially if it's their first clutch." Tyne's voice was matter of fact and she shrugged a little nonchalantly. "They all have their own quirks but it's about finding a balance. I imagine she's picked there because you're there a lot. But at least you know where it is and aren't expected to somehow navigate up a cliff face."

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 11:10 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
The Mindhealer actually blushed. A hand rose to stroke the gold as she admitted, "She was found nesting with the silliest items in my office the other morning."

On Jun 9, 2020, at 5:17 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

OoC: As the gold is her eyes, I'm assuming she's with her.

IC: A quick glance at the gold told Tyne all she needed to know. The obviously gravid gold would likely be clutching any time now. "First clutch I presume," she remarked as she wiped off her hands with a rag. There was dust everywhere. "Have you seen her nesting about your weyr at all? If she's planning to clutch in your weyr, then she will have already claimed a nesting site. If not, then she's picked it elsewhere and you need to find out where." As much as Bobbin nearly always clutched with Tyne at her side, there was the odd occasion where the fussy creature decided that somewhere else was better. And was promptly ratted out by the rest of the fair so Tyne could recover the clutch. Well, at least this wasn't some attempt to follow up to what could fairly be described as disastrous meeting.

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 6:54 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"It's my gold, Flare," she explained. "She's almost ready to cluch and I'm looking for information on how and where I can direct her to clutch safely."

On Jun 4, 2020, at 4:22 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

It certainly wasn't going to be done in a day, and probably not even a sevenday. But Tyne was spending as much time as she could working on the old recovery weyr that she had commandeered for the flit clinic. Wearing clothes she was happy to destroy and a scarf over her hair, Tyne hefted a large box to the ground, stopping to open it and finding another crate of empty numbweed jars that would need re-sterilising. At least she knew where they had been storing them. "In the back!" she called, looking up at the irritated chatter she noted from Bobbin, a flash of the Mindhealer through her thoughts. Oh, marvellous. This had better not been an "impromptu visit to check on you". She was far beyond that nonsense. But she was polite enough to take the woman's blindness into consideration and stepped out from the maze of boxes and towards the open front of what had been a wall. It had come down at some point and she was already discussing with the Woodcraft, about the installation of a large set of doors that would protect the front from weather damage as at the moment, the rain just blew right in. 

"How can I help?"

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 5:22 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
The mess of furs, clothing, and miscellaneous items that her beautiful Flare had used to try to nest in her office had brought something home to the Mindhealer. She needed help. She needed knowledge. She needed Tyne.

"Lady Tyne?" she called, pausing outside of the disused weyr that a Healer Apprentice had led her to.




-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!





-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!





-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!





-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!





-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!





-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!





-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!





-- 
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!



--
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Recluso#6042 on Discord

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!


Congratulations, You're In Charge (Temporarily) JP Kassia/Andronda

sailyn2
 

After N’shen left, Kassia let the healers tend to her again and then fell into a fitful sleep rather than to ask for the sleep draught. She still wanted to be wakeable if one of the goldriders or someone else came to visit.


It felt as if there hadn’t been a single moment to actually sit down and think, much less rest, since the incident in the Hatching Cavern.  Even the bit of time she’d taken to sleep had her feeling guilty, but it couldn’t be helped.  Kassia was injured.  Foreth was grieving, and both Talith and Truenoth… Well, she could only hope the healers would be able to help them.  In the meantime, that left Andronda and Delysia to take up the slack.  


Part of her hadn’t wanted to go into the Infirmary to check on Kassia.  She knew it was necessary, but at the same time it felt like she was intruding where she shouldn’t be.  Kassia needed rest, would need and probably want to see her family far more than she would a young, green goldrider.  But there she was, being led to the room Kassia had been placed in, with an expression of calm on her face that she in no way actually felt.


“Weyrwoman Kassia?  It’s Andronda.  May I come in?”


Brogan lifted his head as Andronda came him, then went back to laying watchfully next to Kassia’s bed.


Kassia was in the wake part of the fitful sleep she’d been trying for, but lying there with her eyes closed where the light couldn’t bother them. She opened her eyes into a squint and turned to look at the young goldrider. She groaned as she jostled her broken arm and her headache protested.


“Come in,” she said. “Have...a seat. Thanks...for coming.”


“Of course!” 


Andronda moved quickly to take a seat, arranging the chair so that Kassia wouldn’t have to move as much to be able to look at her.  


“How are you feeling?  Is there anything I can get for you, or get the healers to get for you?”


“I’m as good as I’m going to be for the moment,” Kassia said, closing her eyes again. “They said it’ll be a few days before I’m back to being able to do things. I guess you and Delysia will have to step up in the meantime. Have they told the Candidates?”


“Yes, they have.  They waited until this morning, I believe, to bring them back and explain everything.  They’re being kept to the Barracks, I believe, for the time being.”


That was actually her next stop, after this meeting, and then back to the Weyrlings to check up on them.


“Delysia and I have begun to do so, already.  You need not worry, Ma’am.  We’ll keep things running until you’re ready to get back on your feet.”


Unspoken was the ‘however long that might take’.  Andronda would prefer it to be sooner rather than later.  Yes, she wanted to be Weyrwoman herself, eventually, but she wanted to gain a little more experience first before that happened.  This was definitely going to be the first real test.


“They didn’t think it’d be more than a sevenday.” Kassia didn’t need to be able to read minds to know where Andronda’s thoughts were going. Plus, if it was much more than a sevenday, they started running into real issues with who was in charge and that was something she wanted to avoid. Still, who knew...“But if something were to keep me out longer, I’m going to need you to step in for me.”


“Of course, Weyrwoman,” Andronda said softly, looking down and her hands folded in her lap for a moment, to keep her composure from slipping.  Part of her brain was screaming in panic, that she wasn’t ready for this, that she couldn’t do it, that she should run back to Telgar where it was *safe*!  But she wasn’t going to listen to that part of her brain, and she certainly wasn’t going to act on that panic.


“You can count on me to do whatever is needed to help you out, while you’re recovering.  And I am sure Delysia feels the same.”


“You can do it,” Kassia said. She gave a wan smile. “I mean, you’re not me, but you can get by. Keep me up to date on everything.” R’tal and the healers would probably say that she should stay out of things entirely, but even injured and technically no able to perform her duties, she was still the Weyrwoman. It’d take a lot more than a bump on the head to take that away.


Andronda nodded, giving a weak smile of her own in return.  


“If you would like, I can come by in the evenings while you are in the Infirmary, to give you a daily report?  That way you’re kept up to date with everything, and can make suggestions as needed?  If the healers will allow it, that is.”


She wasn’t entirely sure Kassia should be doing even that much, as of yet, but Andronda was willing to do so if it would help the Weyrwoman’s peace of mind.  


“They’d better,” Kassia said with a bit of a growl. “Keep me up to date. I need to know what’s going on. And make sure my children are sent to me. I haven’t seen them yet.”


“I’ll make that a priority, then,” Andronda said quickly.  


She could get the full list of their names and where to find them from Sarati.  And send Sarati down here at the same time.  A quick nudge to Nykantiath had the gold speaking to Sarati’s green; that way she could pick up the list on the way to the Barracks.


“Is there anything else I can do for you, at this moment?”


“Just make sure that there are no major fires,” Kassia said. “Thank you for your help.”


“You can count on me, Werywoman Kassia.  I’ll let you rest, now, Ma’am.”


She stood up, quietly moving the chair back to its place, bowed slightly, and backed out of the room to take up her next duty of the day.





Level With Me JP Kassia/N'shen

sailyn2
 

Whatever the healers gave her to sleep had worked. The last thing she remembered was B’lin at her side after they made her take the sleeping stuff and then a healer was waking her in the morning to do her morning check-over. Unfortunately a night’s rest wasn’t enough to take away from all the pain and the sensitivity to her hearing and sight. She thought briefly of asking to be put back out, but she didn’t want to be unconscious that long and miss whatever was going on. Instead she laid there doing her best to ignore the pain and wait to see what the day would bring.


"Hey," came N'shen's voice once he finally managed to get in to see Kassia. It was a relief to see her breathing. And awake, he thought. If not, he would certainly feel rather guilty if he woke her… "How are you feeling?"


Kassia forced her eyes open, squinting against the light. Her headache was maybe a bit better, but she still wasn’t happy with the light. Her arm was casted and in a sling from the break. There were bruises everywhere. But she was alive and awake. Kassia could be happy about that.


She managed a very wan smile and held out her good hand. “I’ve been better,” she said. She had no reason to hide her condition from her Weyrleader and friend. “How are you? How’s True?”


N'shen gently squeezed her hand.


"I'm not hurt. Physically. And True has been better," he answered. He felt the survivor's guilt all the more keenly. He should have been there. His office had been there, but for that moment, he was not…


"He seems… He doesn't believe Larsin when he says he might see again. He's all despair right now. Blames himself for what happened, the usual." He offered a half-smile, as he was doing his best to put a tiny bit of cheer on the dire situation.


That earned him a frown. “He can’t see?” she asked, voice lowered. The implications if the populous at large knew would be very bad. 


"Ah…" N'shen shook his head and turned his gaze to the floor. "I didn't realize they hadn't told you. I didn't mean to give you anything else to worry about while you're trying to heal."


Kassia’s headache was building again, but she continued to squint at him as she frowned. “What else haven’t they told me? I was told that the explosion broke some eggs and that there were minor injuries to the dragons. Am I missing anything else?”


"There were minor injuries to the dragons, yes," said N'shen. "And a less than minor one, too," he added. "But as I said, Larsin thinks Truenoth's sight will return. I've been keeping him taken care of just like Larsin instructed. Foreth has no major injuries, but she would have told you, wouldn't she?"


N'shen had to learn how to lie better… Kassia did not need this. Obviously, or they would have told her. He had already put his foot in his mouth once. He had to make sure not to insert the other as well.


“I’d know if she was majorly injured, but the way she’s shielding I feel like there’s something else she hasn’t told me.” She started to struggle to sit up and then hissed out in pain as she jostled her arm. “Are the eggs all protected now? I mean, not that they weren’t before.”


"Truenoth and Talith have divided up the rest between them after Foreth took the two golds to the upper cavern," said N'shen. "You don't have to sit up. Here, I'll pull up a chair."


A moment later, N'shen was scooting up to the side of Kassia's bed.


Kassia laid back down. She knew she was going to get sick of just laying there really quickly.


“That’s...good,” she said. She could understand Foreth’s need to protect the gold eggs above all others. Luckily there were not one, but two, sires to watch over the remaining eggs. “I wish I could go see Foreth and the boys.”


"You'll see them soon enough. For now, you can rest here knowing that R'tal and I and your juniors are taking care of everything while you get better," said N'shen. He glanced at Kassia's belly. Had they told her anything else about how the baby was doing? Was it safe to ask?


“I know you all can keep things running,” Kassia said. “They said I should be out for no more than a sevenday or so. They said the concussion is the biggest issue. The broken arm and bumps and bruises are annoyances, really. And they said the baby should be fine, but I want to go to the dolphins once I can move around.”


N'shen was visibly relieved at the news that the baby was OK. And that Kassia would be up and about in seven days.


"Six times as long for your arm, I suspect?" he asked. "I suppose they can't give you the good stuff for the pain with a baby on the way, can they? Is there anything I can do?"


“Definitely a lot longer,” she said. “They’re being careful. At least they can give me the stuff to make me sleep when I can’t stand it any more. I just want you to keep me in the loop for everything. I can’t bare lying here not knowing what’s happening. I hope I’m out in time for the Hatching.”


"I'll come every day, if that's what you want," said N'shen. "I'll keep you up to speed." He could ask each of the others who were flying Fall and running the Weyr for their reports. Whatever they actually wanted Kassia to know.


“Thank you, N’shen,” she said, squeezing his hand. “I’m sorry that True was injured. Thank you for protecting the eggs.”


"None of this is your fault," said N'shen. "I, we… we did everything. Took every precaution. Or we thought we did. Whoever did this…" He sighed. "If it takes the rest of my life, I will see justice done."


“You and me both,” she said. She squeezed his hand again. “Can you get the healer? See if I can get some more pain stuff and then I’ll see you tomorrow?”


"Right away," said N'shen. He squeezed her hand back and stood. "I'll see you tomorrow. Rest well, my friend."


We're Not In Denial JP/atten: Kashara/K'ssyn

sailyn2
 

OOC: Backdated to before boys see the eggs

Kashara smoothed down her dress as she stopped in front of the weyr door. The dress wasn’t Gather fancy, but she was definitely dressed up. Not that it took much compared to the Candidate uniform she had to wear most of the time.


Satisfied, she knocked on the door and waited for K’ssyn to answer the door. Inwardly she told herself there was nothing wrong with having dinner with the AWLM. They weren’t sneaking around, they were just friends. And the AWLM could talk to her about what it was like being a Weyrling. Sure. As if she’d never had the talk before.


Tiscarth poked his head through the divider between his wallow area and K’ssyn’s weyr.  <<You like her.>>  The brown watched as his rider fidgeted and traded out one tunic for another.  


>>She’s a nice girl.  What’s not to like?<< he said, but pointedly ignoring the inference the dragon had made.


<<You know better than to think I can’t tell.>>  There was a pause.  <<Be careful.>>


>>Since when have you been so interested?<< K’ssyn said, settling on one tunic that was nice, but not too nice, and cut just so to highlight his muscle tone rather than any flaws in his physique, and the gray color did well to tone down the red in his skin.  Blast this Arolos sun!


The knock at the door made him quickly throw the discarded tunic from earlier in a drawer, and he swept his hands through his hair one last time.  Tiscarth, for his part, said nothing, and withdrew into his wallow.


K’ssyn answered the door, and the sight of Kashara, in a dress, made him smile slightly despite himself.  Rowan would have teased him...


Kashara returned the smile. She did a half curtsey. “I’m ready for dinner, sir,” she teased. No, she wasn’t flirting, honest. She’d never flirt with an AWLM. Nope. Not that she’d ever been that good at flirting.


Her eyes wandered over him and couldn’t help notice the muscles that came from turns of dragon riding. The clothes he’d chosen did a good job of highlighting them. Not that she was staring at those. There was a lot of things she was not doing.


He gave a slight incline of his head at her curtsey.  “Well, Weyrwoman’s daughter Kashara,” he lost no time in responding to her teasing ‘sir’ comment, “please come inside.”  He held the door wide for her, while he took her all in.  He wasn’t the kind to stare, and his gaze was much more casual than that.  But it didn’t keep him from appreciating what he saw in her.


“You look lovely,” he said once the door was closed behind her.  


Kashara blushed and then mentally kicked herself. She wasn’t normally one to blush, but something in his comment got to her. She turned her face away as she stepped inside. Maybe he hadn’t had a chance to see the look on her face.


“How are you today?” she asked, reaching back to pet her braid nervously. At least she didn’t tug on it the way her mother did when she was really stressed or pissed.


“I enjoy my rest days.  Tiscarth and I spent some time out by the water, letting him relax.  We both enjoy teaching, but it’s good to have time to ourselves as well.  And you?” he asked as they moved into his weyr.  Here, it was easier to see that he’d grown up as a Caravanner.  The decor was certainly toned down compared to the wagons he’d grown up in, but the colors were bold and the items in it ranged from all over Pern.  It wasn’t cluttered, but it wasn’t sparse in its decor either.  


“Would you like some wine?” he asked.  “I have a few Northern varieties if you’d like…”


She nodded as she took in her surroundings. She’d never been in an AWLM’s weyr before. Of course, in the end AWLMs were just people, so really she’d never been in his weyr before. A couple of things on the shelves seemed interesting, but she turned back to him. “A red, if you have one. Otherwise, whatever you prefer.” 


K’ssyn nodded, motioning to a small table with two chairs, where plates were laid out and covered to keep their contents warm.  Wine glasses were already on the table as well, and while it wasn’t an intricate set up, it was obviously not thrown together hastily either.  He moved to hold out the chair for her while she sat, before going and getting a bottle of Benden red.  It wasn’t the nicest vintage ever, but it was also the best he had.  If not now, then when?


“The good thing about a trader family is that we always had a variety of wines and foods.  I grew up eating and drinking every variety of food from every little Northern hold.  I’m still not used to the Southern wines yet…” he said, as he poured her some of the red.


“Are you used to the South in general yet?” Kashara asked as she lifted her glass and took a sip. It was good. She took a longer sip then gestured at the display of food. “It all smells wonderful. Did you have to bribe the kitchen staff?”


“There are things in the South that make it worth getting used to,” he said, his eyes focused on her.  “But it takes time.  The heat and the sun are hard on a Northerner.”  He shifted his gaze to follow hers to the food.  “Titles have their privileges.  Apparently the kitchen staff here like AWLMs…”


“You telling me you didn’t charm anyone for any of this?” Kashara asked, gesturing to the plates and grinning. “If there turns out to be dessert here, then I won’t believe you got away with it without conning some blushing staffer.” She really hoped there was dessert there, whether he had to flirt his way for it or not.


K’synn raised an eyebrow.  “Perhaps not everything is from these kitchens,” he added enigmatically.  “Dragons can go anywhere after all…” There were so many wonderful little holds in the North that made amazing foods.  He’d had to go up earlier that day anyways in service of his Blood Debt.  It hadn’t been difficult to stop by and say hello to old friends, one of whom, practically like a nanna to half the cothold, to give him some of her little cakes.


“You’re a talented one, sir,” Kashara teased as she cut off a bite of food and lifted it delicately to her lips. She made a happy noise as she ate the piece. “I need more friends that spoil me like this. Being the Weyrwoman’s daughter doesn’t get me as much extra treatment as it used to.”


“How is that possible?” K’synn asked referring to her parentage, watching the pleasure of the food cross her face.  It pleased him that she was enjoying what he’d put together for her.  Because while he had gotten a few things from this kitchen, so aspects were from other places.  The trip north had been an opportunity to pick up a few things.  “Try this,” he said pointing to one of the dishes off to the side.


Kashara turned to take a bite of the dish. She made another happy noise and piled more of the dish onto her plate. “It’s wonderful. And, okay, I do get some extra treatment than others, but not as much as I used to. Mom wants me to try to stand on my own.”


“That one came from a little old woman who’s made the thing the same way ever since I can remember.  Refuses to change a thing about it, which is fine since it’s delicious,” he added.  He watched her, listening as she talked.  “What was it like growing up with a goldrider as a mother?”


“Well it’s very good,” Kashara said, taking another bite. She was silent a moment after swallowing then said, “I don’t know how much it was just her and how much it was her being a goldrider and then Weyrwoman. My mom doted on me and Sarati. Less so on Rassia. My brothers may as well not exist. For some reason she just didn’t have an interest in being part of their life.


She shrugged. “Sarati and I got the best of the best. Good clothes. Good food. We were paraded around. In more recent turns she’s been a bit hands off again, which I have mixed feelings about.”


K’synn finished his plate and moved to refill it.  Caravans ate family style, which was more of what he was used to then the Weyr’s buffet style.  Weyrlife still felt strange to him sometimes, and especially now that he was seeing his family more than he used to.  Lisilia in particular was fond of popping into the Weyr unannounced and showing up at his weyr.  He suspected she was hoping to walk in on something for the sheer irritation it would cause, his younger sister being a bit annoying that way.  Hopefully, she didn’t choose this evening.


“Why do you think she’s changed?  And why did she ignore your brothers?” he asked after she’d finished.  


Kashara shrugged. “We’re older now. She has other things that are important. Again, we’re still spoiled to some extent, but not as much. And as for my brothers...I think she just likes girls better. I don’t know. It’s hard to explain my mom.”


K’synn nodded.  “And I won’t pretend to understand goldriders.  There weren’t any in Tiscarth’s Clutch, and I’ve not really had reason to get to know any.”  Tiscarth wasn’t one to participate in gold flights, and K’synn wasn’t the type of guy to seek out friendships with the Weyrleadership.  “Growing up in my family, there weren’t too many distinctions between any of us brats in the Caravan.  Minus my eldest brother learning to take it over eventually, we all just pulled our own weight.  I suppose some of the siblings got off a bit lighter after mischief, but not by much.” 


“There are a lot more expectations when you’re the daughter of a gold rider,” Kashara said. “Not just from my mom, but because people expect that one of us will Impress a gold. Or at least that we’ll all be riders. I want to be a rider, but it’s a bit much sometimes. I like that I can just be me with you.”


K’synn shrugged.  “I like just you.  And who else would you be?”  He went back to eating for a moment, just letting the moments just be between them without forcing it.  If he was one of his brothers, he would have assuredly had some charming line for her, some charismatic smile and charm to lay on thick and heavy.  If he was one of his brothers, he’d be planning on how to get that dress off of her before the night was over.  But he wasn’t, and instead, he was focused on her with no expectations.  “I was the oddball of my pack of siblings.  I’ve always been the more reserved, less likely to get into trouble, and more likely to be ensuring the others didn’t get into it.  They always pressured me to be more like them.  But I am not, and I am me.” 



“I like you, too.” There she wasn’t blushing, was she? She was just friends with this AWLM, right? To be anything more would be dangerous, and yet she liked him. A lot. She told herself that it meant nothing. She played with her food, trying not to look too awkward. She tried to drift to being a good girl. “How’s being an AWLM?”


“I’ve always been a good teacher.  And definitely the goodie of my sibling group.  Certainly more patient with all of their antics than they would have been or were.  Even in our own weyrlinghood, Tiscarth and I helped our Clutchsibs.  We both enjoy teaching, in helping others.  Being an AWLM is just an extension of that, of helping ensure that future wingmates are more prepared.  And having a young dragon is hard and trying.  Tiscarth is good with them.”


“I’m glad it fits you so well,” Kashara said. “With a large class incoming.” Including possibly her. Best not to think too hard on it. “What do you think of the two goldriders who will start up?”


K’synn gave a small smile.  “I think I am glad not to be WLM Ko’ssen.  Even if their riders are perfectly well-behaved, there is no way that two golds don’t cause trouble.”  Even if Kashara could be one of them, a thought that was accompanied by both a desire and a sinking feeling, all in one.  “There are plenty of issues that come up in a normal weyrlinghood.  Look at your journeyman, Ambrelli.  Plenty of issues there despite her being accomplished in her craft.”


“She was never meant to Impress, though,” Kashara pointed out. “You can’t stop Stands Impressions, but they can mess things up. I hope that there are no Stands Impressions this go around. That would only be added trouble.” She finished her last bite. “That was really good.”





I Have to Get to Her JP Kassia/Bl'lin

sailyn2
 

Kassia didn’t remember much of being transported from the Caverns to the Infirmary except for pain. They’d given her something to try to deaden the pain, but it did little to help when they re-set her arm. She’d refused to be put out entirely and risk panicking Foreth further, but the world went very close to black as they shifted her arm bone back into place. Vaguely she heard the first set of keens, but she wasn’t quite with it enough to react.


When the number of healers finally withdrew, she laid there, fighting back to full consciousness. Anything to keep Foreth from panicking further. Foreth had tightened her own walls and Kassia’s head hurt too badly to fight with her. The light when she opened her eyes only made her head hurt further. All in all, she felt achy all over, enough that she knew that if she didn’t have the pain herbs she’d feel even worse.


“Sleep, Kass.” It had taken a while for B’lin to be allowed next to her bed, but he was there now, trying to keep out of his voice just how bad she looked. He’d have held her hand if her arm had looked less frighteningly bad. “Healers said you need to sleep.”


She started to open her eyes and immediately shut them again. She shook her head against the pillow and regretted that as well. “Can’t,” she said. “Foreth...have to stay awake for Foreth.” She’d been conscious enough when Foreth panicked at her injuries that she didn’t want to sleep.


“Foreth is settled. Talith and Truenoth are with her.” That much B’lin knew, even if no-one else was getting past the entrance. 


“She’s still...upset.” Kassia gripped the sheets under her hard with her good hand. “Why is she upset? She won’t tell me.” Foreth was trying to protect her, but Kassia didn’t know from what. And he could say that the Queen was settled, but Kassia could tell she wasn’t. With Talith and Truenoth or not.


“Ah, Kass.” He’d thought she knew; somehow he’d assumed that much had leaked through from Foreth. B’lin hesitated, and then reached over the bed. “Give me your hand.”


Kassia lifted her hand for him to take. She forced her eyes open to look at him. Inside her chest her heart sped. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. “Tell me.” Despite her she felt, she managed to get something akin to her Weyrwoman commanding voice into it. Some things were hard to get rid of.


“Some of the eggs,” B’lin said gently, his hand closing around hers. “The golds are safe I’ve heard but some of the others -- they got broken.”


Not again. Memories from the past flooded her mind and she was glad that the connection between her and her lifemate was mostly shut. Foreth didn’t need those memories. At least it wasn’t a gold egg. She squeezed his hand, but there was a weakness to it.


“More eggs...gone...” she breathed, tears squeezing at her eyes as everything began to overwhelm her.


Foreth’s feelings were suddenly flooding through even with their connection closed off.


“What...what’s she doi...”


The keening began and this time Kassia was aware of them. Even across the Weyr she could hear her lifemate’s agonizing keen.


Kassia sat up straight and then half screamed as she jostled her arm, the world spinning. 


“I’ve...she’s going...I’ve got to get...” She wasn’t even making sense as she tried to process.


“You can’t go anywhere, Kass.” B’lin tried to steady her helplessly, not sure where it would even be safe to touch her that wouldn’t hurt but worried she’d flop back and hurt herself again. He settled for a hand behind her back and one on her side. “Call her here.”


“I can....can’t,” she gasped and started to struggle as she felt Foreth blank out a moment and then come back from ~between~. The keening continued, but was quieter.


((Love...the eggs...)) Kassia tried, settling a little but tears streamed down her face.


((I took them between,)) Foreth answered in a very flat tone that she used as a mask when she was trying to pretend nothing bothered her even as the keening was only just ending. ((You need to stay and get better. I need to watch my gold eggs.))


((I have to make sure you’re okay,)) Kassia said, tears coming harder.


((You need to get better, Mine. Stop hurting yourself.)) The words were harsh, but there was a softer edge that said that she did care. The next words were softer. ((Be strong.))


“She’s...with  her eggs,” Kassia said out loud, starting to sag.


“Lie down.” B’lin’s hands were gentle, trying to guide her down. “I’ll talk to K’ren. Maybe he can have you moved to a closer room.”


Kassia reluctantly let him help her back. Everything hurt more from all the movement. She silent tears continued to fall.


“I should have been there,” she said softly. She clutched for his hand again. “She shouldn’t have had to go through that alone.”


“Kass. You’re injured.” B’lin tried to be sensible and reasonable as though that would override the instinct in any rider to go to their hurt dragon. “It would not help Foreth if you d-- If you got worse.”


Kassia’s headache had worsened for her efforts. Still, she’d be up and across the Weyr if she could. Deep down she knew that she’d never make it. At least not that night. That still didn’t take away the desire to be with Foreth after everything.


For a few long moments she was quiet as she fought against her tears. When they’d slowed, she asked, “What about the other dragons? Are they okay?” Kassia was guessing not since R’tal hadn’t stopped in, or maybe she was misjudging time.


“R’tal said minor injuries, but they don’t want to leave the eggs.” Privately B’lin wasn’t sure how true that was. He’d been sitting waiting to see Kassia long enough to notice serious-faced DragonHealers coming and going. Still, it was the truth he had right now.


“Can’t...expect them to,” she admitted. Still, she would have felt better with a report directly from R’tal. She wondered, too, how serious those injuries were but had no way of knowing unless R’tal or N’shen came to report. “But no one...died.” Thank Faranth for small favors.


“Only the eggs,” B’lin said heavily. “Just those.” WeyrlingMasters tended to count unhatched eggs already as part of their next brood. “Otherwise, you got the worst of it.”


“Yes, the eggs.” Kassia was trying to forget those. She was privately glad she hadn’t been conscious enough to see them. She’d seen enough eggs crushed in her lifetime. The last thing she needed (well, one of the many last things) was to have nightmares over lost Hatchlings. 


She sighed. The whole ordeal had left her very tired. “Can you get someone to bring me something to sleep now? I think Foreth will be fine now. And then stay until I’m asleep?”


“I’m not going anywhere.” At least not until they made him. B’lin reached to squeeze her hand lightly again before he got up to go find a Healer. At least if she rested maybe it would help.


Re: Hair today, gone tomorrow. (Attn: D'vik/Fabio- Calyse)

 

Calyse didn't notice the unusual size of the chair until she had mosied over and planted herself on the cushion, realizing only then with a start that the piece of furniture dwarfed her. She twisted to cast a bewildered look at the huge armchair, mildly alarmed by the way her feet barely graced the floor while she sat atop it. Suddenly aware of how childlike she seemed there, she resisted the urge to swing her legs in absent fidgeting and laid the humming Fabio across her lap. All the outrage she'd built up on the way to D'vik's weyr had vanished in the wake of such an exciting moment, a hatching! 

D'vik spoke. Calyse tore her eyes away from the dancing egg, addressing him with raised eyebrows. "Hm? Um, y-yes. I'm fine, at least I think so. Only a little singed." Nothing hurt, thankfully, but she hadn't had time to view herself in a mirror yet. Perhaps it was worse than she thought. Suddenly self-conscious about her appearance, she combed awkwardly through her charred hair. "Fabio got burned a bit, b-but I cleaned and dressed him already. I can send a pot of numbweed up in case he hurts more later." The words tumbled out of her in a rush. "I'm sorry to interrupt this," she indicated the hatching with a hand. "A-Are you sure it's okay that I stay?"

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 7:36 PM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@...> wrote:
D'vik glanced up as she entered and watched the transformation of her features, a pretty girl when not on the warpath. He smiled over at her and nodded towards a rather large reading chair near the exit to the ledge. The chair was obviously a custom made one, given the size. 

"Please have a seat, looks like Fabio got you good. Are you alright? Beyond the obvious I mean? Looks like he got himself too, poor dummy." He kept one eye on the egg, that rolled this way and that, beyond him on the mantle sat a second bronze flit, humming and studying the girl. Over by the outer part of the weyr, a large blue dragon was lounging on the ledge, his head stuck curiously into his rider's area to watch.

"It sure is. If you have a seat, after I get this little one fed, we will see what we can to to redress the problem."
--
Have fun with any of my characters. Alyx, Lerian (candidates), Vayka (Healer), J'hen, D'vik, Teyra, Cotai (Riders), Rotasta (AWLM)


Re: Oooooh Baby Baby (Nadia, Rend)

Kate Polsom
 

“Well, the signs are pointing towards you being pregnant. And if your date is right, about ten in a half seven days pregnant,” Rendan said with a grin, “I will recommend you go to see the dolphins as they are very good at telling if someone is. And once you have it confirmed, we will set up monthly visits to keep track of your progress and the health of you both.”

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 03:04 PM, Yvonne wrote:

Nadia tilted her head thinking. "I think about 42 sevendays ago. I chalked it up to stress." She said blushing lightly.

 

 

 


Re: Camping Trip Greenflight!!: Into the Unknown ((Attn: Kinara/Arendelth, any chasers))

Kouga
 

Koetith didn't like speaking, it worked for him and Lor'ci rather
well. His rider was not big on chatter unless it had to do with
keeping others safe and he was the same. {{Fly high, fly fast!}} he
encourage Arendelth offering his wingmate feelings of encouragement
and images of the sky. He had long ago realized that Firelizards had
the best way to talk, they offer words when they were not what was
needed. It was the feeling and the images those words provided that
was needed. He had long ago decided that he preferred to speak as
Gentinds did and it was what he did most times too. He felt a shift in
the winds, a slight breeze, and shifted himself to catch the turmal he
had felt. He was careful as ever to work with the lift provided
instead of against it knowing that it would help with just that flying
higher and faster.

Lor'ci shifted a bit where he stood with the other male's riders. This
was not how he had seen this day going by any means, but if it was how
it was to be then so be it. Though he would be remembering to add this
to his list of things that had happened while the candidates were on a
trip. Why did these trips alway seem to have such issues? It really
would be better to just not do them anymore he thought. Though the
problem is he also thought the candidate kind of needed these trips
too. It really was one of those things he would have to consider
later, when he could properly focus. Right now he didn't have enough
mind to focus on that. He was too focused on watching Kinara, too
focused on seeing Arendelth through Koetith's eyes, too focused on the
burn rushing through them both. That was taking too much of his focus
to bother with much else right now and for right now that is also what
he needed to stop thinking about it all so he finally let the last of
those thoughts drift away and glanced around at the other riders gaze
seeing but not seeing them even as Koetith offered a glance at the
other chasing males before focusing back on Arendelth.

--------

{{Of course lovely green one.}} Pengith agreed easily {{Leaders me
and mine may be, but we can only lead if others are willing to follow.
The only way others will follow is if we are aware they are just as
great as we are. I am large yes, it does mean I can fly longer, but I
do not have your speed I can not turn as fast as you. That means that
I will always need you green one, and I would hope you would always
accept me in return.}} he offered in explanation. It was what he had
learned with his rider during their turns as a Wingsecond. Sure he had
seen it before, but now it was always a thought on his mind. He was
large, but that didn't make him better, he needed the smaller dragons
especially the little greens to keep him safe just as he did his best
to keep them all safe. They were all needed and all equal and he would
not hide that these were his thoughts on it.

Get'ew nodded his understanding of Kinara's words "Do not be sorry,
they do what they must to make sure we take care of ourselves." it
took a moment to come up with the words, but he knew them to be the
truth. Pengith wanted him to forget his job for just a bit and when
things threatened it the brown used what he could to enforce the
'order'. While he was sure if they hadn't come it wouldn't have been a
flight, he was sure there would have been something the brown would
have found. Still it wasn't that he minded a flight, it wasn't that he
minded giving himself to Pengith and flying, it was the look on
Kinara's face and his thoughts that his wing and wingleader may need
him that did it.

Still as the moments passed Kinara clearly was becoming less agitated
he let it pass through him as well. It really wouldn't do any good to
fight and all they could all do now go with things he supposed. So go
with things he would and he really didn't mind flights, but had a
feeling this one was going to not end up quite right one way or
another. Still if she needed protection, if she needed comfort, he
would do what he could for her.

----------------

Hobath offered a pleased rumble in return to his green wingmate {{I
will fly for you as long as I am able.}} he promised her wings working
hard to push him after Arendelth, to make sure he didn't lose her. He
had seen her fly and knew she was beautiful to watch in threadfall,
nearly as beautiful as she was now. {{Let the winds be your guide
beautiful green and show us how flying can be! My wings will always be
strong in defence and deference to you Atendelth! They are yours to
command.}} and for now as always he meant it. He didn't bother to
chase often, but when he did he gave his everything to it and to the
green. Though it certainly didn't hurt that this was his wingmate, a
green he already.

Rena found herself more able to relax and join Hobath despite
everything the more it looked like Kinara was actually relaxing. She
wasn't sure how well the other would cope once they weren't flying,
once they didn't have dragons to help distract them, but she reminded
herself again she had her kit just incase. It wouldn't have anything
for panicing or anything or the sort; but she had seen Kinara and
hoped that at the very least as a wingmate it could help if anything
went wrong because she really wasn't sure based on the other girl's
reaction if this was going to end up well after the fact.

Why did things like this keep happening? Not the flight of course, but
the attack on the hatching grounds. The worst part though was it
seemed to keep happening to Foreth and especially her gold eggs.

-----------------

V'jal had debated he had, and he could feel Zuhelth in the back of his
mind seeking the comfort he didn't know how to offer right now. His
mind was in too many places, there had been too much happen recently,
and he just had to let her be comforted by Pensherth for now. Right
now he needed comfort too and while he felt bad not turning to Cosi,
he knew the blue rider understood that sometimes he still needed to
try. He offered another glance at his weyrmate before he made his way
the last little bit to the other riders involved in the flight hoping
to try and catch someone once all was said and done.

ooc: yes 'Jal is playing moth just as an fyi if anyone wants to grab
him after the next post; same fer if anyone wants Rena though also fyi
probably gonna end up with her pregnant if someone does

*Kouga*

Join the Aywas fun - http://aywas.com/register.php?ref=768

"My personality is 30% the last anime I watched." - Tumblr
"Remind me never to get out our bad side. It seems to be ...
unhealthy." - Varric
"Death By Apple Pie a lovely poem by our friend Cole" - Dorian

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 2:24 AM Rosiegirl <rosiegirl872@gmail.com> wrote:

To Sixanth, Pengith, and then to Hobath’s comments to her, the green angled her wing slightly to shift toward each of the males in turn and give them a flirty little look over her wing, showing off the streak of paler green hide as she did so. Sixanth’s compliment along with his overconfident statement earned the young brown a snort of amusement at his presumption as she said to him {{Of course I will Fly high and strong. Love is not fragile nor is it just beautiful, and neither am I! However, it remains to be seen if you will be the one Flying with me at the end, the one who actually catches me, brash Sixanth. But compliments are never unappreciated when offered.}}

Pengith, as she swing her head to examine the older brown who was so *very* large for a brown, earned him an appreciative look as he called out to her not with honeyed words and statements of catching her but instead of being ‘conquered’ his words were the idea that they could catch something together. Like equals, maybe? The green wondered if a brown that was so large could mean that. Rumbling in pleasure as she tilted a wing and swung slightly closer to him, giving the brown a little bit of hope, Arendelth queried the large brown with {{Do you mean catch the skies together, like equals, wise Pengilth?}}

As Hobath called out to her, Arendelth turned her gaze on her Wingmate as she once again gave a tilt of her wings to angle herself slightly toward him. His complimenting her, not just on her beauty but also her skill in flying that this blue had actually had occasion to experience during Threadfall, the green gave a happy trill to the blue and responded back {{Striking Hobath, yes I will choose. Follow me, Fly with me, Show Yourself and me the strength in your wings to Fly to the end.}} And with that, Arendelth gave another flirty twist of her head at the blue before she darted away to tease another one of her suitors.


The green glanced back, examining those who remained silent as she remembered a saying from her person...that it was the quiet ones you had to watch out for. She noticed the skill with which Panteranth was flying, the dappled look along his wings and side, his overall sleek look as he flew and with her own small and slender size she considered how well matched they would look. But then she turned to examine another potential mate, willing to bide her time and see if the sleek blue would be able to last with her.


As more riders joined the quartet already gathered close to her, and more dragons followed Arendelth’s green glowing form higher as she used any advantage she could to keep the distance between her and those following behind, Kinara kept her arms wrapped protectively around her as she moved around the area nervously and also keeping the riders at a distance. In the back of her mind, Kinara recognized a couple of her Wingmates joining those around her and there was a breath released in a rush as if she might just be able to relax now that she knew some of the riders around her more. But in the forefront of her mind was the need to keep them at bay, to keep out of reach, and that’s what she did. To Get’ew’s apology, Kinara gave a shake of her head saying back “No...no I’m sorry, for *her* doing this.”


When K’sway, who she’d been sharp with as he’d gotten too close, and the other riders kept their distance and gave her space, just as their dragons up in the air continued to follow hers, Kinara’s quick and flustered breathing slowed down just a bit as she began to rub her palms against her upper arms as if trying to smooth out the shivers of desire she was feeling from her green that made her tremble just a bit as she watched the gathered riders with wary eyes. But she could feel more of Arendelth overriding her wariness, her panic, just a bit more as Kinara’s breathing stabilized at the arrival of a couple of her Wingmates. They protected her during Fall, so surely they would protect her here, if needed.


With a bit more of Arendelth’s thoughts flowing into her, Kinara’s hazel eyes turned to the ‘rider’ Bl’by had previously snapped atas he spoke, registering his words but not understanding why he looked shocked...Surely his dragon had *told* him that he was chasing Arendelth, right? Why else would he be gathered with the rest of the potential suitors. And when he began backing away, not quite catching Tolfast’s words to Bl’by, and Arendelth realized someone was *leaving*, there was a surge of feelings from Arendelth of hurt and...and *outrage* that it seemed one of her suitors didn’t actually want her, hurt and outrage that was echoed on Kinara’s face as she stared at Tolfast. The Flying green gave a roar of outrage high up in the air, turning to look over her shoulder, to see if she could see one of *her* males dropping away so quickly from following her, but it didn’t look like any of them were...which confused the green just as much as her rider down on the ground.


And then Bl’by, whose lifemate had been the first to follow after Arendelth, the first to present himself to Kinara and try to comfort her, put a *hand* on the abandoner’s shoulder...all Kinara saw through the filter of her dragon was that one of *her* suitors was...was either running off another one, or...or the lusty green didn’t *know* what, but all she knew was that through her person’s eyes it looked as if *she* was not the focus anymore. Arendelth, Flying high up in the air, should be the center of all her suitors attention, no one else...and the hand on someone else’s shoulder was a step too far for the green.

And so, just as Arendelth swung her head around to pin Traynth with a small growl, making sure the blue was still focused on her, that same soft, low growl echoed out of Kinara’s throat before she knew what was happening and there was a flash of...of possessiveness in her gaze as she watched Bl’by’s hand on Tolfast’s shoulder. As far as Arendelth was concerned, until *she* chose who she wanted, they were *all* hers and should focus only on her. And then...and then the ‘rider’ who was taking one of her suitor’s attention fled, and Kinara’s still red-rimmed eyes watched him as he left, but they were less wary than before with the possessive feelings she’d received from Arendelth.


Kinara, still just barely hanging on to herself, felt...more than a bit unsettled by the fierce possessive feeling she was getting from Arendelth and gave a brisk shake of her head as she rubbed at her face a moment. But, as she realized that moment of distraction could be the moment any one of those gathered could get to close Kinara’s head came abruptly back up to watch them all carefully. Now, however, her arms were no longer crossed in front of her but loose at her sides and her movements to keep the riders at bay which had looked much like a skittish runner were...not *quite* that anymore. Now, the movements were a bit smoother, a bit...just a little bit more teasing, as if they were heading toward sultry the more Kinara let herself connect with Arendelth.


She no longer looked or sounded quite so distressed as she was no longer murmuring apologies as riders gathered...but she didn’t quite look happy yet. More...more like she was calming down enough to be resigned to the early Flight, and whatever panic she might feel later for not getting a chance to be mentally prepared due to Arendelth just...just Flying when she shouldn't have...well, come what may. It’s not like she could stop whatever potential flashback reaction she might have...not at this point, not if all the preparation she’d done before and her past Flight experiences hadn’t helped her get to the point where it wouldn’t happen. She...she hoped it wouldn’t, but..at this point there was no help for it if it did and she would just have to cope.


Up in the air, as Arendelth finished getting Traynth’s attention with her small growl, when she did a smooth barrel roll in the other direction, glancing back only once to see if Traynth was still following her, she caught sight of a familiar blue in her chasers. Swinging her head toward Trometh, giving a happy rumble, the green responded with {{Brother Trometh, I need you...I need all of you, right now, just as mine needs all of yours for comfort from the sad. But soon...soon we’ll only need one. Until then, we need you all.}}


As another rider moved to join them, as if arriving specifically to fill the spot of the ‘rider’ who had fled earlier, all Kinara registered at first was a tanned, bare chest...a *very handsomely muscular* bared chest at that...and her breath caught in her throat at the sight. And then his voice, sounding just that touch growly as he spoke her name, had Kinara swallowing hard before she looked up from that chest...and up...and up. He should have been intimidating, would have been approaching her like this, if she hadn’t let more of Arendelth take over. She had just enough of her to recognize that the bluerider was one of the FeastCrashers, one of her class, and Kinara let out one more apology, one that was even more heartfelt than the others had been despite his reassurances, and stammered out “D’vik...oh..oh Shells...that’s right, you’re here too! I’m, oh gosh, I’m really sorry!”


But, even as she stammered out her apology and she noticed that he kept himself just as distant from her as the rest of the riders that she’d warned back, she couldn’t help that her gaze dropped back to his bare chest for a long moment before her eyes shifted to the other riders. Her red-rimmed hazel eyes, her cheeks flushed, her hands loose by her side revealing her bra-bandless chest as it rose and fell under her shirt. And, just as Arendelth began flowing through the air almost teasing each of her chasers, Kinara’s gaze turned teasing toward the riders surrounding her as she gave up the fight and let her green take over the last of the resistance she felt. She even began to sway not away but slightly closer to one rider after another...just as Arendelth wasn’t sure of her choice yet...



On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:15 PM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@gmail.com> wrote:

Now Trometh, well he wasn't one that chased all the time. Something D'vik had always been a little relieved about. But this time, sensing the distress of his clutch mate. Trometh felt he must do what he was charged with and protect her from others, and possibly from herself. Within seconds of her launch, the large blue was in the air. He didn't waste much time in, what were to him pointless flatteries. He eyed the other chasers, and dismissed the other blues out of hand. He knew he was larger and had more stamina than they did. The brown got a good long look, but was ignored a moment later.

He simply wasn't important, only Arendelth was important. He flew as fast, and close as he dared. Saying to her simply.

(( I am here for you sister, if you need me.))

He was wasted on pointless flattery, but he was there for her nonetheless. He'd make no pretty speeches, he didn't need to. He was there, that's what mattered.

D'vik barely had a moment to register that something was Happening before Trometh was gone, he reached out to the large blue, and got the simple answer of ((I chase.))

D'vik was a man who rarely cursed, but this time, the unexpected brought it out of him. "Shards." He threw his shirt, which he'd just removed down on his bed, where Bubu, his baby wher immediately curled up with it. Turning to his flits, he devoutly hoped that Elon was up to watching both Fabio and the wher, at least for a while.

"All of you, Stay Here." Then he left his tent and joined the knot of people. Hearing Kinara's pleas and hurried explanations, his heart hurt for her, and being the protective type that he was, D'vik tried his best to angle his body close to hers but not in a way that would be intimidating. He knew from their weyrling days that she was a shy one.

"It's alright Kinara." D'vik ground out, his voice a bit more growly than was normal for him.
--

Have fun with any of my characters. Alyx, Lerian (candidates), Vayka (Healer), J'hen, D'vik, Teyra, Cotai (Riders), Rotasta (AWLM)


Re: Camping Trip Greenflight!!: Into the Unknown ((Attn: Kinara/Arendelth, any chasers))

Laura Walker
 

"Not yours." Bl'by's voice was soft but firm and he shifted so that his large frame would block Kinara's view of the departing BeastCrafter. "Not for you, that one. Plenty of others."

He could free his mind now, release the vestiges of control that had held him in check, had let him touch Tolfast without kissing him (couldn't he have though, taken him by both shoulders and not just one, kissed him until he wasn't thinking so much that he could look so worried any more). Easier to let go of that now, better to fly.

And, grounded from Fall, this was the best way to fly. Traynth's lungs had none of the problems of his rider's, no gasping wheezes if he pushed his strength too far. His lungs were large and clear, and the air far above the riders was sweet and cold. They danced in the air and Bl'by could feel it again; the joy of a body that responded to what he told it to do, that could race as fast as he willed it to, turning sharp breakneck turns in pursuit of the green ahead of him. Little stamina perhaps, but who needed stamina for a green? Greens were small, and graceful, and speedy and Bl'by rocked on his feet as his mind followed his blue up and down and around in a dance where they never had to pause and gasp for breath and apologise for needing to stop.

It was flying, it was living and Traynth followed Arundelth with little possessiveness and all of the delight of a child playing a game, his swift changes in direction filled with the pleasure of 'see what I can do' and 'yes I can do that too!'. It was showing off, but showing off as much for his rider and his own self as the green in front of him, revelling in the feeling of pushing his body to its fullest extent.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 7:24 AM Rosiegirl <rosiegirl872@...> wrote:

To Sixanth, Pengith, and then to Hobath’s comments to her, the green angled her wing slightly to shift toward each of the males in turn and give them a flirty little look over her wing, showing off the streak of paler green hide as she did so. Sixanth’s compliment along with his overconfident statement earned the young brown a snort of amusement at his presumption as she said to him {{Of course I will Fly high and strong. Love is not fragile nor is it just beautiful, and neither am I! However, it remains to be seen if you will be the one Flying with me at the end, the one who actually catches me, brash Sixanth. But compliments are never unappreciated when offered.}}

Pengith, as she swing her head to examine the older brown who was so *very* large for a brown, earned him an appreciative look as he called out to her not with honeyed words and statements of catching her but instead of being ‘conquered’ his words were the idea that they could catch something together. Like equals, maybe? The green wondered if a brown that was so large could mean that. Rumbling in pleasure as she tilted a wing and swung slightly closer to him, giving the brown a little bit of hope, Arendelth queried the large brown with {{Do you mean catch the skies together, like equals, wise Pengilth?}}

As Hobath called out to her, Arendelth turned her gaze on her Wingmate as she once again gave a tilt of her wings to angle herself slightly toward him. His complimenting her, not just on her beauty but also her skill in flying that this blue had actually had occasion to experience during Threadfall, the green gave a happy trill to the blue and responded back {{Striking Hobath, yes I will choose. Follow me, Fly with me, Show Yourself and me the strength in your wings to Fly to the end.}} And with that, Arendelth gave another flirty twist of her head at the blue before she darted away to tease another one of her suitors. 


The green glanced back, examining those who remained silent as she remembered a saying from her person...that it was the quiet ones you had to watch out for. She noticed the skill with which Panteranth was flying, the dappled look along his wings and side, his overall sleek look as he flew and with her own small and slender size she considered how well matched they would look. But then she turned to examine another potential mate, willing to bide her time and see if the sleek blue would be able to last with her.


As more riders joined the quartet already gathered close to her, and more dragons followed Arendelth’s green glowing form higher as she used any advantage she could to keep the distance between her and those following behind, Kinara kept her arms wrapped protectively around her as she moved around the area nervously and also keeping the riders at a distance. In the back of her mind, Kinara recognized a couple of her Wingmates joining those around her and there was a breath released in a rush as if she might just be able to relax now that she knew some of the riders around her more. But in the forefront of her mind was the need to keep them at bay, to keep out of reach, and that’s what she did. To Get’ew’s apology, Kinara gave a shake of her head saying back “No...no I’m sorry, for *her* doing this.” 


When K’sway, who she’d been sharp with as he’d gotten too close, and the other riders kept their distance and gave her space, just as their dragons up in the air continued to follow hers, Kinara’s quick and flustered breathing slowed down just a bit as she began to rub her palms against her upper arms as if trying to smooth out the shivers of desire she was feeling from her green that made her tremble just a bit as she watched the gathered riders with wary eyes. But she could feel more of Arendelth overriding her wariness, her panic, just a bit more as Kinara’s breathing stabilized at the arrival of a couple of her Wingmates. They protected her during Fall, so surely they would protect her here, if needed.


With a bit more of Arendelth’s thoughts flowing into her, Kinara’s hazel eyes turned to the ‘rider’ Bl’by had previously snapped atas he spoke, registering his words but not understanding why he looked shocked...Surely his dragon had *told* him that he was chasing Arendelth, right? Why else would he be gathered with the rest of the potential suitors. And when he began backing away, not quite catching Tolfast’s words to Bl’by, and Arendelth realized someone was *leaving*, there was a surge of feelings from Arendelth of hurt and...and *outrage* that it seemed one of her suitors didn’t actually want her, hurt and outrage that was echoed on Kinara’s face as she stared at Tolfast. The Flying green gave a roar of outrage high up in the air, turning to look over her shoulder, to see if she could see one of *her* males dropping away so quickly from following her, but it didn’t look like any of them were...which confused the green just as much as her rider down on the ground. 


And then Bl’by, whose lifemate had been the first to follow after Arendelth, the first to present himself to Kinara and try to comfort her, put a *hand* on the abandoner’s shoulder...all Kinara saw through the filter of her dragon was that one of *her* suitors was...was either running off another one, or...or the lusty green didn’t *know* what, but all she knew was that through her person’s eyes it looked as if *she* was not the focus anymore. Arendelth, Flying high up in the air, should be the center of all her suitors attention, no one else...and the hand on someone else’s shoulder was a step too far for the green.

And so, just as Arendelth swung her head around to pin Traynth with a small growl, making sure the blue was still focused on her, that same soft, low growl echoed out of Kinara’s throat before she knew what was happening and there was a flash of...of possessiveness in her gaze as she watched Bl’by’s hand on Tolfast’s shoulder. As far as Arendelth was concerned, until *she* chose who she wanted, they were *all* hers and should focus only on her. And then...and then the ‘rider’ who was taking one of her suitor’s attention fled, and Kinara’s still red-rimmed eyes watched him as he left, but they were less wary than before with the possessive feelings she’d received from Arendelth.


Kinara, still just barely hanging on to herself, felt...more than a bit unsettled by the fierce possessive feeling she was getting from Arendelth and gave a brisk shake of her head as she rubbed at her face a moment. But, as she realized that moment of distraction could be the moment any one of those gathered could get to close Kinara’s head came abruptly back up to watch them all carefully. Now, however, her arms were no longer crossed in front of her but loose at her sides and her movements to keep the riders at bay which had looked much like a skittish runner were...not *quite* that anymore. Now, the movements were a bit smoother, a bit...just a little bit more teasing, as if they were heading toward sultry the more Kinara let herself connect with Arendelth. 


She no longer looked or sounded quite so distressed as she was no longer murmuring apologies as riders gathered...but she didn’t quite look happy yet. More...more like she was calming down enough to be resigned to the early Flight, and whatever panic she might feel later for not getting a chance to be mentally prepared due to Arendelth just...just Flying when she shouldn't have...well, come what may. It’s not like she could stop whatever potential flashback reaction she might have...not at this point, not if all the preparation she’d done before and her past Flight experiences hadn’t helped her get to the point where it wouldn’t happen. She...she hoped it wouldn’t, but..at this point there was no help for it if it did and she would just have to cope.


Up in the air, as Arendelth finished getting Traynth’s attention with her small growl, when she did a smooth barrel roll in the other direction, glancing back only once to see if Traynth was still following her, she caught sight of a familiar blue in her chasers. Swinging her head toward Trometh, giving a happy rumble, the green responded with {{Brother Trometh, I need you...I need all of you, right now, just as mine needs all of yours for comfort from the sad. But soon...soon we’ll only need one. Until then, we need you all.}}


As another rider moved to join them, as if arriving specifically to fill the spot of the ‘rider’ who had fled earlier, all Kinara registered at first was a tanned, bare chest...a *very handsomely muscular* bared chest at that...and her breath caught in her throat at the sight. And then his voice, sounding just that touch growly as he spoke her name, had Kinara swallowing hard before she looked up from that chest...and up...and up. He should have been intimidating, would have been approaching her like this, if she hadn’t let more of Arendelth take over. She had just enough of her to recognize that the bluerider was one of the FeastCrashers, one of her class, and Kinara let out one more apology, one that was even more heartfelt than the others had been despite his reassurances, and stammered out “D’vik...oh..oh Shells...that’s right, you’re here too! I’m, oh gosh, I’m really sorry!” 


But, even as she stammered out her apology and she noticed that he kept himself just as distant from her as the rest of the riders that she’d warned back, she couldn’t help that her gaze dropped back to his bare chest for a long moment before her eyes shifted to the other riders. Her red-rimmed hazel eyes, her cheeks flushed, her hands loose by her side revealing her bra-bandless chest as it rose and fell under her shirt. And, just as Arendelth began flowing through the air almost teasing each of her chasers, Kinara’s gaze turned teasing toward the riders surrounding her as she gave up the fight and let her green take over the last of the resistance she felt. She even began to sway not away but slightly closer to one rider after another...just as Arendelth wasn’t sure of her choice yet...



On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:15 PM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@...> wrote:
Now Trometh, well he wasn't one that chased all the time. Something D'vik had always been a little relieved about. But this time, sensing the distress of his clutch mate. Trometh felt he must do what he was charged with and protect her from others, and possibly from herself. Within seconds of her launch, the large blue was in the air. He didn't waste much time in, what were to him pointless flatteries. He eyed the other chasers, and dismissed the other blues out of hand. He knew he was larger and had more stamina than they did. The brown got a good long look, but was ignored a moment later.

He simply wasn't important, only Arendelth was important. He flew as fast, and close as he dared. Saying to her simply. 

(( I am here for you sister, if you need me.)) 

He was wasted on pointless flattery, but he was there for her nonetheless. He'd make no pretty speeches, he didn't need to. He was there, that's what mattered.

D'vik barely had a moment to register that something was Happening before Trometh was gone, he reached out to the large blue, and got the simple answer of ((I chase.))

D'vik was a man who rarely cursed, but this time, the unexpected brought it out of him. "Shards." He threw his shirt, which he'd just removed down on his bed, where Bubu, his baby wher immediately curled up with it. Turning to his flits, he devoutly hoped that Elon was up to watching both Fabio and the wher, at least for a while. 

"All of you, Stay Here." Then he left his tent and joined the knot of people. Hearing Kinara's pleas and hurried explanations, his heart hurt for her, and being the protective type that he was, D'vik tried his best to angle his body close to hers but not in a way that would be intimidating. He knew from their weyrling days that she was a shy one.

"It's alright Kinara." D'vik ground out, his voice a bit more growly than was normal for him.
--
Have fun with any of my characters. Alyx, Lerian (candidates), Vayka (Healer), J'hen, D'vik, Teyra, Cotai (Riders), Rotasta (AWLM)



--

Blackadder: I mean, what about the people that do all the work?
Baldrick: The servants.
Blackadder: No, me; *I'm* the people who do all the work.


Re: Camping Trip Greenflight!!: Into the Unknown ((Attn: Kinara/Arendelth, any chasers))

Rosiegirl
 

To Sixanth, Pengith, and then to Hobath’s comments to her, the green angled her wing slightly to shift toward each of the males in turn and give them a flirty little look over her wing, showing off the streak of paler green hide as she did so. Sixanth’s compliment along with his overconfident statement earned the young brown a snort of amusement at his presumption as she said to him {{Of course I will Fly high and strong. Love is not fragile nor is it just beautiful, and neither am I! However, it remains to be seen if you will be the one Flying with me at the end, the one who actually catches me, brash Sixanth. But compliments are never unappreciated when offered.}}

Pengith, as she swing her head to examine the older brown who was so *very* large for a brown, earned him an appreciative look as he called out to her not with honeyed words and statements of catching her but instead of being ‘conquered’ his words were the idea that they could catch something together. Like equals, maybe? The green wondered if a brown that was so large could mean that. Rumbling in pleasure as she tilted a wing and swung slightly closer to him, giving the brown a little bit of hope, Arendelth queried the large brown with {{Do you mean catch the skies together, like equals, wise Pengilth?}}

As Hobath called out to her, Arendelth turned her gaze on her Wingmate as she once again gave a tilt of her wings to angle herself slightly toward him. His complimenting her, not just on her beauty but also her skill in flying that this blue had actually had occasion to experience during Threadfall, the green gave a happy trill to the blue and responded back {{Striking Hobath, yes I will choose. Follow me, Fly with me, Show Yourself and me the strength in your wings to Fly to the end.}} And with that, Arendelth gave another flirty twist of her head at the blue before she darted away to tease another one of her suitors. 


The green glanced back, examining those who remained silent as she remembered a saying from her person...that it was the quiet ones you had to watch out for. She noticed the skill with which Panteranth was flying, the dappled look along his wings and side, his overall sleek look as he flew and with her own small and slender size she considered how well matched they would look. But then she turned to examine another potential mate, willing to bide her time and see if the sleek blue would be able to last with her.


As more riders joined the quartet already gathered close to her, and more dragons followed Arendelth’s green glowing form higher as she used any advantage she could to keep the distance between her and those following behind, Kinara kept her arms wrapped protectively around her as she moved around the area nervously and also keeping the riders at a distance. In the back of her mind, Kinara recognized a couple of her Wingmates joining those around her and there was a breath released in a rush as if she might just be able to relax now that she knew some of the riders around her more. But in the forefront of her mind was the need to keep them at bay, to keep out of reach, and that’s what she did. To Get’ew’s apology, Kinara gave a shake of her head saying back “No...no I’m sorry, for *her* doing this.” 


When K’sway, who she’d been sharp with as he’d gotten too close, and the other riders kept their distance and gave her space, just as their dragons up in the air continued to follow hers, Kinara’s quick and flustered breathing slowed down just a bit as she began to rub her palms against her upper arms as if trying to smooth out the shivers of desire she was feeling from her green that made her tremble just a bit as she watched the gathered riders with wary eyes. But she could feel more of Arendelth overriding her wariness, her panic, just a bit more as Kinara’s breathing stabilized at the arrival of a couple of her Wingmates. They protected her during Fall, so surely they would protect her here, if needed.


With a bit more of Arendelth’s thoughts flowing into her, Kinara’s hazel eyes turned to the ‘rider’ Bl’by had previously snapped atas he spoke, registering his words but not understanding why he looked shocked...Surely his dragon had *told* him that he was chasing Arendelth, right? Why else would he be gathered with the rest of the potential suitors. And when he began backing away, not quite catching Tolfast’s words to Bl’by, and Arendelth realized someone was *leaving*, there was a surge of feelings from Arendelth of hurt and...and *outrage* that it seemed one of her suitors didn’t actually want her, hurt and outrage that was echoed on Kinara’s face as she stared at Tolfast. The Flying green gave a roar of outrage high up in the air, turning to look over her shoulder, to see if she could see one of *her* males dropping away so quickly from following her, but it didn’t look like any of them were...which confused the green just as much as her rider down on the ground. 


And then Bl’by, whose lifemate had been the first to follow after Arendelth, the first to present himself to Kinara and try to comfort her, put a *hand* on the abandoner’s shoulder...all Kinara saw through the filter of her dragon was that one of *her* suitors was...was either running off another one, or...or the lusty green didn’t *know* what, but all she knew was that through her person’s eyes it looked as if *she* was not the focus anymore. Arendelth, Flying high up in the air, should be the center of all her suitors attention, no one else...and the hand on someone else’s shoulder was a step too far for the green.

And so, just as Arendelth swung her head around to pin Traynth with a small growl, making sure the blue was still focused on her, that same soft, low growl echoed out of Kinara’s throat before she knew what was happening and there was a flash of...of possessiveness in her gaze as she watched Bl’by’s hand on Tolfast’s shoulder. As far as Arendelth was concerned, until *she* chose who she wanted, they were *all* hers and should focus only on her. And then...and then the ‘rider’ who was taking one of her suitor’s attention fled, and Kinara’s still red-rimmed eyes watched him as he left, but they were less wary than before with the possessive feelings she’d received from Arendelth.


Kinara, still just barely hanging on to herself, felt...more than a bit unsettled by the fierce possessive feeling she was getting from Arendelth and gave a brisk shake of her head as she rubbed at her face a moment. But, as she realized that moment of distraction could be the moment any one of those gathered could get to close Kinara’s head came abruptly back up to watch them all carefully. Now, however, her arms were no longer crossed in front of her but loose at her sides and her movements to keep the riders at bay which had looked much like a skittish runner were...not *quite* that anymore. Now, the movements were a bit smoother, a bit...just a little bit more teasing, as if they were heading toward sultry the more Kinara let herself connect with Arendelth. 


She no longer looked or sounded quite so distressed as she was no longer murmuring apologies as riders gathered...but she didn’t quite look happy yet. More...more like she was calming down enough to be resigned to the early Flight, and whatever panic she might feel later for not getting a chance to be mentally prepared due to Arendelth just...just Flying when she shouldn't have...well, come what may. It’s not like she could stop whatever potential flashback reaction she might have...not at this point, not if all the preparation she’d done before and her past Flight experiences hadn’t helped her get to the point where it wouldn’t happen. She...she hoped it wouldn’t, but..at this point there was no help for it if it did and she would just have to cope.


Up in the air, as Arendelth finished getting Traynth’s attention with her small growl, when she did a smooth barrel roll in the other direction, glancing back only once to see if Traynth was still following her, she caught sight of a familiar blue in her chasers. Swinging her head toward Trometh, giving a happy rumble, the green responded with {{Brother Trometh, I need you...I need all of you, right now, just as mine needs all of yours for comfort from the sad. But soon...soon we’ll only need one. Until then, we need you all.}}


As another rider moved to join them, as if arriving specifically to fill the spot of the ‘rider’ who had fled earlier, all Kinara registered at first was a tanned, bare chest...a *very handsomely muscular* bared chest at that...and her breath caught in her throat at the sight. And then his voice, sounding just that touch growly as he spoke her name, had Kinara swallowing hard before she looked up from that chest...and up...and up. He should have been intimidating, would have been approaching her like this, if she hadn’t let more of Arendelth take over. She had just enough of her to recognize that the bluerider was one of the FeastCrashers, one of her class, and Kinara let out one more apology, one that was even more heartfelt than the others had been despite his reassurances, and stammered out “D’vik...oh..oh Shells...that’s right, you’re here too! I’m, oh gosh, I’m really sorry!” 


But, even as she stammered out her apology and she noticed that he kept himself just as distant from her as the rest of the riders that she’d warned back, she couldn’t help that her gaze dropped back to his bare chest for a long moment before her eyes shifted to the other riders. Her red-rimmed hazel eyes, her cheeks flushed, her hands loose by her side revealing her bra-bandless chest as it rose and fell under her shirt. And, just as Arendelth began flowing through the air almost teasing each of her chasers, Kinara’s gaze turned teasing toward the riders surrounding her as she gave up the fight and let her green take over the last of the resistance she felt. She even began to sway not away but slightly closer to one rider after another...just as Arendelth wasn’t sure of her choice yet...



On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 9:15 PM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@...> wrote:
Now Trometh, well he wasn't one that chased all the time. Something D'vik had always been a little relieved about. But this time, sensing the distress of his clutch mate. Trometh felt he must do what he was charged with and protect her from others, and possibly from herself. Within seconds of her launch, the large blue was in the air. He didn't waste much time in, what were to him pointless flatteries. He eyed the other chasers, and dismissed the other blues out of hand. He knew he was larger and had more stamina than they did. The brown got a good long look, but was ignored a moment later.

He simply wasn't important, only Arendelth was important. He flew as fast, and close as he dared. Saying to her simply. 

(( I am here for you sister, if you need me.)) 

He was wasted on pointless flattery, but he was there for her nonetheless. He'd make no pretty speeches, he didn't need to. He was there, that's what mattered.

D'vik barely had a moment to register that something was Happening before Trometh was gone, he reached out to the large blue, and got the simple answer of ((I chase.))

D'vik was a man who rarely cursed, but this time, the unexpected brought it out of him. "Shards." He threw his shirt, which he'd just removed down on his bed, where Bubu, his baby wher immediately curled up with it. Turning to his flits, he devoutly hoped that Elon was up to watching both Fabio and the wher, at least for a while. 

"All of you, Stay Here." Then he left his tent and joined the knot of people. Hearing Kinara's pleas and hurried explanations, his heart hurt for her, and being the protective type that he was, D'vik tried his best to angle his body close to hers but not in a way that would be intimidating. He knew from their weyrling days that she was a shy one.

"It's alright Kinara." D'vik ground out, his voice a bit more growly than was normal for him.
--
Have fun with any of my characters. Alyx, Lerian (candidates), Vayka (Healer), J'hen, D'vik, Teyra, Cotai (Riders), Rotasta (AWLM)


Re: Hair today, gone tomorrow. (Attn: D'vik/Fabio- Calyse)

Alyx
 

D'vik glanced up as she entered and watched the transformation of her features, a pretty girl when not on the warpath. He smiled over at her and nodded towards a rather large reading chair near the exit to the ledge. The chair was obviously a custom made one, given the size. 

"Please have a seat, looks like Fabio got you good. Are you alright? Beyond the obvious I mean? Looks like he got himself too, poor dummy." He kept one eye on the egg, that rolled this way and that, beyond him on the mantle sat a second bronze flit, humming and studying the girl. Over by the outer part of the weyr, a large blue dragon was lounging on the ledge, his head stuck curiously into his rider's area to watch.

"It sure is. If you have a seat, after I get this little one fed, we will see what we can to to redress the problem."
--
Have fun with any of my characters. Alyx, Lerian (candidates), Vayka (Healer), J'hen, D'vik, Teyra, Cotai (Riders), Rotasta (AWLM)


Re: Hair today, gone tomorrow. (Attn: D'vik/Fabio- Calyse)

 

Calyse burst into the room with a rehearsed lecture ready about the irresponsibility of letting a problematic firelizard go where he pleased, only to stop abruptly in her tracks a few steps into the weyr. She gawked at the unexpected scene. D'vik was handsome,  more so than she had been anticipating, hunkered low over a wiggling egg so large it could only been a wher's. She felt strain of her anger begin to dissipate. 

"O-Oh, um," she stammered, rose flushing her face a flustered hue. "He-- s-sorry, I just-- my hair, he-- shells." Calyse held up the bandaged bronze as if this might more clearly convey what she was trying to say. Blonde hair hung in a straight length down her shoulders except where it had obviously been burned away, the asymmetrical ends dramatically shorter on one side than the other and curly where heat shriveled some of the strands. 

"I-I don't think you can pay for my hair, but he’s hurt himself a little. ....Is.. is that egg *hatching*?" She asked, unable to keep the curiosity from her face though her voice remained monotone. 

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 6:46 PM Alyx <scottish.wolfecary@...> wrote:
D'vik right at this moment had his hands quite full. Literally, small chunks of meat were held in one of his hands as he knelt by his small fireplace. Hearing the knock, and identification, the rider's mind automatically thought of his bronze flit Fabio, and wondered what trouble the little dummy had gotten into this time. The wher egg wiggled again, he daren't move away, so he simply called out. 

"The door's unlocked, come on in. I'll pay for whatever Fabio ruined." His voice was mellow, and kept to soothing tones, but was easily loud enough to be heard on the other side of the door. Fabio reacted to the soothing tones with a happy croon and began humming just a little, sensing with his scattershell little mind that a hatching was coming.
--
Have fun with any of my characters. Alyx, Lerian (candidates), Vayka (Healer), J'hen, D'vik, Teyra, Cotai (Riders), Rotasta (AWLM)

1121 - 1140 of 529503