Re: I'm working on something, something big (Dytha/Larsin)

Nutmeg

"He's had his kicks now. I'm sure he'll leave Ponth and me alone." And there was a twinge of hopefulness behind her words that seemed to teeter as if she were trying to convince herself more than Larsin. She knew his appetite had been whetted and that by the next time Ponth was ready to rise, he would be waiting. "I know it wasn't "nothing"," she said with resignation. "But if I let myself coil up with the realities, then I won't be able to fly with her ever again. Or I'll do something that affects her in the sky and she gets hurt because of something I felt. So if I convince her that this was just a bad moment, just something to be forgotten, then she won't be at risk of hurting herself because of something I did." It was a skewed sort of logic but it wasn't hard to see where she had been coming from. Hopefully. "I'm going to try and rig the next one. If he doesn't get a chance at catching again then he can't continue with this... whatever he's doing."

As she spoke she was setting out the jars and opening up the folder she had brought with her. "We've had two clutches in succession where the eggs have received some sort of damage where perhaps early intervention may have prevented further complications." Dytha gestured towards the jars. "I've only tested it on firelizard eggs so far. But I'm playing with a type of lacquer that can seal and hold minor cracks without adversely impacting heat dispersion or allowing further fluid to escape. In theory, it also shouldn't cause any negative response from the gold in response to it either. But that's mostly hypothetical at the moment. Either way, I think I'd like this to be the practical element of my Journeyman's project to go alongside my thesis."

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 3:36 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Larsin's eyes narrowed. "You're right. Rough flights happen. Flights that put your dragon and yourself in jeopardy do not."

He pursed his lips, trying to think of how to get through to her without making her feel like she was being attacked again.

"I've seen bad flights. And I've seen abusive flights. You are the victim of an abusive flight, not a bad flight. A bad flight happens when it's someone's first time, or the dragons are over-enthusiastic. No. A bad flight doesn't put the green in danger of betweening." And he'd gone to see Ponth. She and Dytha had both been asleep, so he'd assessed Ponth from afar. Puncture wounds. Deep scratches. Even something that looked suspiciously like bruises. Bruises. On a dragon!

"You can play it off like it's nothing. Or you can come clean. But remember--if something happens to you, Ponth is gone. If something happens to Ponth..." He left that hanging.

"Now, what did you bring me?"

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 3:08 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
She had begun to step forward, carefully setting the jars down on the desk when Larsin had spoken again and her head snapped up. She could feign ignorance but that would only annoy Larsin. She knew he wasn't an idiot. "Because I didn't want to make a fuss over nothing," she said tiredly. "These things can happen and making something out of means it sticks around and doesn't get moved on from." Confession time. Of sorts. "I haven't been flying with Ponth until recently. That bed rest I was put on a few months back? Was because I hurt myself trying not to fly with Ponth when she rose. It's taken a long time to start doing what I should have been and turning this into something sets all that back again."

Because already she could hear the tempting whispers that next time, next time, she could hide like she had done so many times before.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 3:01 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Yes, yes, I'm interested to see how this is going," Larsin said, "But first, when were you planning on telling me what happened to you?"

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 7:09 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
As the door slowly opened, Dytha carefully shuffled in. Larsin had probably already spotted her about her Infirmary and realised that her feet were giving her trouble. "I'm sorry to bother you, sir. I was... hoping you were free to talk about my project a while. I've got some new ideas." For someone already ridiculously short, everything about her seemed to make her a bit smaller in the room. Maybe it was the unassuming posture that seemed to pull in on itself. Or the fact she was struggling to meet Larsin's eye.

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 11:18 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
It had taken Larsin every bit of self-control he possessed to not go check on Dytha, not say something, act like everything was fine after Mendl had come to him with her concerns. He didn't want to break Mendl's confidence, even though Dytha probably wouldn't be all that upset about it.

But if she came in to see him, all bets were off. Putting down his pencil, he leaned back in his seat.

"Yes Dytha? Come in."

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 5:15 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
IC Date Reference: Set approximately 8.28.9.4

There was two reasons she had waited around a sevenday after the Hatching before she went to speak to Master Larsin. For one reason, it meant that the bruising around her face had almost completely faded, leaving only a hint of discoloration. Oblivious to the fact that Mendl had already spoken to him, Dytha didn't want to give her Master any cause to question her. Of all people, Larsin was someone she didn't know how well she would be able to hold herself together if needled. For the other, she had wanted to finalise some notes and put together some of the samples she had been working on before she went to speak with him.

If she got this right, Dytha knew that it meant her Journeyman's knots would be in the bag in a few turns' time. Providing it all went to plan. With a small document folder under one arm and a small bag secured by the other, Dytha had decided to forgo the crutch in favour of being able to navigate door handles. And besides, it would do her good to have something to distract her from H'lan accosting her in the tunnel a few nights earlier. Thank Faranth that other Healer had come around the corner when she had. That's all she could say.

With a deep intake of breath to steady herself, Dytha knocked sharply on her Master's office door. "Master Larsin? Are you there? It's Dytha,"

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord