Re: What Were You Thinking, Boy? ((Attn: Asheran, Kassia, ))

Jenna Cunningham

Asheran felt blindsided. His sorry arse? He'd just tried to stop things from escalating, had tried to help and she was yelling at him. There was a boy lying back there on the sands, maybe dead, and she was annoyed with him!

The look on his face was an unguarded mixture of dumbfounded disbelief and pained guilt. He hadn't intended to hit an egg - he never would have, he was certain of that. He would have caught up to the boy and stopped things before it got that far. No one would have - should have - gotten hurt.

"I was just trying to stop him. I wouldn't have tripped, Weyrwoman."

He didn't know what else to say. He saw that ghostly egg in his mind's eye, and thought of all those other eggs, dead on the sands, crushed under rock and rubble. He remembered how it had felt, standing there waiting for one to hatch, and waiting, and waiting.

"I was just trying to help."