Re: Guess Where I Was Yesterday? (Attn: Dytha/Mendl)

Laurie

Mendl wished she could give Dytha something to help her, but she knew there was only so much anyone could do. She was a couple Turns younger than her friend, so figured that anything that could be tried already had been tried. Though there were some of the medicinal plants from Old Sef...

"Fascinating. She gets really uncomfortable at first, and then pushes, just like a human would. But there are a bunch of them, and some are bigger than others so harder to push out. It didn't seem like it hurt...until the gold egg. But then, she was pretty exhausted by then."

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:46 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"Rather you than me, I think!" Dytha said with a laugh. "I always find myself feeling I need eyes in the back of my head whenever we do anything with the ranking dragons. Maybe that's why I like eggs so much!" She shifted in her seat a little, clearly trying to make herself comfortable and her face grimaced slightly, the only response to the family stab of pain that cheerfully told Dytha she had managed to pop another lesion open. She was soaking her feet tonight if it killed her.

Mendl got a playful wrinkle of her nose in reply to her jest. "No, I didn't have visitors. R'bor is currently drowning in paperwork. Besides, I know how to deal with it. I don't like to see him worrying. That and I like swearing to myself when no one can hear me." The twinkle of good humour was tainted by the tiredness in her features, already it had been interfering with her sleep and reluctantly, she knew that soon she would have to speak to the Healers about getting her nightly dose of fellis tea.

"So go on then, what was it like to actually see a dragon laying?"

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 1:10 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Actually, no. I'm not going to go as far as to say Foreth likes me, but she seems to tolerate me better than any of the other apprentices." She shrugged. "Maybe she respects the fact that I'm not afraid of her? I don't know. All I know is, she asked for me!" Mendl did a little hop-skip at that.

"So, I got to watch. And wait. With the Weyrwoman. Which was kind of uncomfortable at first, but in the end, it really wasn't too bad." She felt bad for going on about her good luck, not dreaming that no one else would view it that way.

"I'm sorry to hear your feet were bad. Did you have any visitors?" She waggled her brows.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 4:27 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Dytha frowned a little in mild confusion as though a sentence had been skipped somewhere. "Having trouble? You mean with the clutching?" She had known that Mendl had been assisting in the recovery of the gold's recent leg injury. Rather Mendl than her, to be honest. Something about Foreth made Dytha feel she needed eyes in the back of her head. Listening carefully to her friend, it took Dytha a moment to put it all together. "Wait, she asked for you to come to the Sands by name? Jumping flits, weren't you afraid you'd get eaten?!" Dytha chuckled with amusement but it was more influenced by the starstruck expression on her friend's face.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 3:24 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"We-ell," Mendl said, drawing the word out, but she couldn't take it anymore.

"Foreth was having trouble, and you know how I've been taking care of her leg? Well, she told Kassia--I mean, the Weyrwoman--that if any healer-types were going to be in there, it was to be me." She beamed. Not only did the most powerful dragon in the Weyr like her, she asked for her. Specifically. And Mendl was having trouble just getting over that little fact.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 5:29 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Immediately Dytha could tell that something was going on. With an expression of mild bemusement, she glanced at Mendl, her lips curling slowly. "Unfortunately I gave it a miss. Chose a night of feet up and some fellis tea over trying to dance." She turned in her seat to face the Candidate, saying nothing for a moment as she inspected the girl, taking in her entire demeanour. "However I get the distinct impression that you're not actually remotely interested in the party." It wasn't an accusation, not the way the blue eyes twinkled. "And you're bouncing like you've been swimming in klah. You don't bounce. Ever."

Of course, she could completely appreciate that it was entirely possible that the girl was just over the moon with the news and for a moment, Dytha almost wished that she had had that experience herself but quickly shushed it. It was like wondering what it was like to feel the sun on your face for the first time after already having gotten used to it for turns.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 12:33 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Oh, there you are!" Mendl chirped, peeking into the prep room. She'd already tried several others, but the dragon Infirmary wasn't that big.

Okay, it was. At least, the enclaves where they kept the sick dragons were. And the outside-facing rooms that dragons could come into, if need be. Inclement weather was a way of life and neither human nor draconic wanted to be looked at in the cold, or wind, or rain.

She bounced into the room and pulled up a seat. Since Mendle had never bounced, or chirped, in her life, anyone who knew her would know something was up. She grabbed a few small, empty jars and began filling them with powdered willowbark. "So," she said casually, "how was the party?"

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 10:48 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
It was hard not to feel the undertones of excitement that were trickling about the Weyr. Even Ponth was curious, demanding to know how ONE gold could have TWO gold eggs. It just didn't happen! She had started shift early that morning and with her feet playing up, had been set to dispensing assorted treatments and salves into bottles and jars. That way she could keep the weight off her feet and still be doing something productive.

She was tucked in one of the small prep rooms off the Infirmary, carefully measuring out the amounts she needed and funnelling them carefully into the jars. Oddly, she found the astringent smell about her to be rather comforting, making a mental note to keep one of the jars of numbweed to one side to be signed out for herself. She wasn't quite at the point of needing her crutch, but the dull and constant ache in her legs was somewhat alleviated by not spending the day running around.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:47 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl got back to the Candidate Barracks tired, dirty...and elated. She would happily miss every party in the future if she got to experience this type of thing every time. Imagine! She saw all of Foreth's eggs laid. She saw the two gold eggs! She got to hold (well, briefly) one of the two gold eggs.

Granted, she wouldn't wish this on Foreth ever again, but, well, shards and shells!

She went into the bathing pool in the Barracks to wash off the dirt and fluids. She felt so grubby, but she didn't care.

The pool in the Candidate Barracks was always the perfect temperature, but when Mendl fell asleep and fell under the water, spluttering her way back to air, she decided it was time to sleep. Some candidates were quietly talking; some were still at the party. She just wanted to go to bed.

*****
The next morning, the first thing she did was seek out Dytha. Her friend had to be dying to know what Mendl experienced!

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord