Re: (Clutching) Why Kassia Missed Her Party atten: Foreth/Truenoth/Talith/Mendl #clutching Part 16 #clutching

sailyn2

Mendl wanted to go down by Foreth, but knew she shouldn’t. It was hard though--any other dragon that was hurt, she wouldn’t have any qualms about. Well, any other color than gold, that is. But a Clutching anything was not something anyone should just walk up to. She’d learned that when she first apprenticed to the beastherder, so many Turns ago.

But, a dragon could be asked!

“May I come down there?” she asked, fully expecting a negative answer.

((No one comes down here,)) Foreth told her, but it wasn’t as sharp of a rebuke as one might have expected. Still, she spread her wings and arms and draped herself over her eggs so far, including the golden egg. ((Nothing hurts my eggs.))

“I wouldn’t hurt your eggs. Or you,” Mendl said automatically, but she stayed put. Considering the things that had happened over the Turns, she understood Foreth’s concern. Of course, when the ice came back she’d have to either insist, or, well, Kassia would know what to do.

“All mothers want to keep their babies safe,” she said, instead. “Just let me know if I can do anything.”

((I just need rest.)) Foreth curled up around her stack of eggs, her breathing slowly returning to normal as they waited for Kassia to come back.

“Fair enough,” Mendl said, searching the Sands for any signs of blood. If she started bleeding while Clutching, that could be bad. But, she suspected it was because Foreth was nearing the end. She hoped.

“No way could a dragon have laid 50 eggs without serious damage,” she muttered. Even so, a part of her was impatiently waiting for the next egg to drop.

The Caverns was quiet again with just the two of them while Kassia was still outside presumably arranging for the arrival of ice for a few minutes. Then Foreth groaned again and got to her paws wearily as she worked herself back into position. She looked tired, but determined.

Where was Kassia? Mendl didn’t like the look of events in the Sands right now, but because Arolosian queens were so healthy she’d never been exposed to a dragon that was egg-bound before. She didn’t know the signs. Firelizards weren’t usually susceptible, and the Wherhold took care of the whers, so she’d never seen it happen.

Kassia returned a few minutes later. “They’re coming, don’t worry.”