Re: GATHER: Shopping is Good for the Soul (Attn: Dytha, Mendl)

Laurie

"Then I guess we buy your Gather dress at the end of the day, rather than now?" Mendl said, mischievous. She wasn't sure whether she'd be going to the dance or not. It wasn't like she had anyone to go with, but that was half the fun. Plus, one could always meet someone special at a Gather dance.

"So, shopping first? Or sightseeing? Shopping may be a better idea because all the good stuff will be gone or packed away later. But we'd need to store our packages--though I think that some of the more enterprising Candidates have a booth where they're storing packages."

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 5:43 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Taking the proffered delicacy, Dytha bit into it with a groan of delight, nodding at Mendl's previous words. "I noticed the schedule. It seemed pretty nicely balanced - but I like Larsin. Grumpier than a wher in daylight but I swear that's a front to keep us annoying Apprentices away." She gave Mendl a cheeky grin, glad that the stern Master wasn't likely to overhear them.

"I agree about the food. Gather food just seems a bit more... like a bit more care into making it more special is there. But I suppose that makes sense - if someone is planning a handfasting and a Bakercrafter catches their attention at a Gather, that could be a valuable commission for them to get a hold of." She enjoyed another bite of the hot, doughy pastry, inhaling the slightly spiced scent that came off it. "Although I could eat these forever and die happy the size of a dragon. That it will go straight to my thighs." There was a cheerful mischief to Dytha's face, an agreeable change to her more typically stern expression.

"If I can't fit into a Gather dress by the end of the day, I might not be entirely complaining," she said with a chuckle.

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:36 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Yeah, I noticed you weren't on the rotation that day," Mendl said with no trace of rancor. "Larsin tries to make things as fair as possible. So," she pointed to a stall selling flit-wings. "Our first stop. Then on to the merchant stalls!" Giggling, she ran over to the flit-wing seller and ordered two, handing one to Dytha. Taking a bite, she closed her eyes in bliss.

"I think Gather food is so yummy because it's special. The Weyr doesn't offer this type of fare on a regular basis, even though you'd think it would be easier for the Kitchens to do it than some random Trader."

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 9:16 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Mendl's response was as flirtatious and coquettish a giggle as could have been heard from a dragon, shaking her wings and taking off with a powerful jump of speed once the pair of Dragonhealers were safely on the ground. Oh, she had places to go all right, and a bronze to woo.

"I could eat Gather food until I had exploded. And I'd probably still want to keep going!" Dytha had answered with a grin, taking in the familiar smells with a happy sigh. What was it about Gather food that was just... practically addictive? "I was lucky and got to walk the Gather the first day, so you can pick whichever stall looks good to you."

OoC: I Googled them! Not something we have here but now I want them :P

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:12 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Thank you, Ponth," Mendl said, stroking her neck. "You enjoy that man of yours."

She studied the gaily waving flags of the Gather, smelled the scents from different food carts, compartmentalizing them into "visit later" and "thank you, no". Though she had missed the morning meal.

"Want to grab a small bite to eat? Maybe a flit-wing-I love those sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar."

(OOC: Not sure if you have them, but we have this fair staple called 'elephant ears' which is basically fried dough, covered in cinnamon and sugar, or powdered sugar. From the name, you can guess they're pretty big and flat.)

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
The green fidgeted slightly as she settled under the different weight. Dytha waited until Mendl was in place before she climbed up, grateful for the thousandth time for Ponth's small size.It took only a moment of practised ease to settle them both in place. "You ready?" Dytha had asked, her face uncharacteristically soft with a smile. She barely got the words out before the green shifted, muscles bunching up as she took a huge leap upward into the air. "Hang on tight!" Dytha called over her shoulder, giving Ponth a mental nudge to keep herself in check. No barrel-rolls today please.

It seemed to take only a blink of an eye before the Gather flags were in sight at the Hold and the green was coming in to land. She came down with surprising lightness on her feet, dropping down immediately for the pair to hop down. (( Have a wonderful time with Mine, Mend-a-lee, )) she had murmured softly to the other girl. (( You shall have lots of fun. )).

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:50 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl laughed. "Thank you, Ponth," she said as she climbed aboard the dragon. Just talking to the green had brightened her day considerably; her worry about dud eggs and barely-alive dragonets sluicing off of her like water. Today was going to be a good day.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 5:12 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
The hug was unexpected but after a second, Ponth had let out a humming chirrup of pleasure, inspecting Mendl carefully as she huffed hot, spicy dragonbreath at her. The compliment to her scent caused the dark coloured green to rumble, the sound light in pitch but edged in harmonious chords that only seemed to amplify her pleasure. (( Then I shall *always call you Mend-a-lee! )) she declared proudly, butting Dytha fondly as she approached. (( I smell so wonderful! Mine has promised to find me more pretty smelling oils! I feel... so green! )) It was probably the closest equivalent she could think of to describe herself as "girly" but it was clear that the additional little bits of femininity - such as a lightly scented oiled - greatly appealed to the girly aspects of her nature, likely the same one that insisted that her talons be painted. Today they were a light pastel pink.

Mendl's comment made Dytha smile broadly, "She definitely has her moments. Sure, she can be ditsy at times but then other times she'll say something and I'm like "where in the world did that come from?!" - She's been amazing these past few weeks with Ilexeth. I know she took some of the information from me about it all, but still. It was impressive to actually see."

(( It was important. )) Was all Ponth said, Mendl included, as she nosed at Dytha for attention was freely given, hands rubbing her muzzle gently.

"Do you think you could give us a hop to the Gather? Then you can come back and do whatever you like." Dytha asked, verbalising outloud to include Mendl in the conversation. Ponth was already squatting herself down before the words were even out of Dytha's mouth, a shoulder dropped slightly as though in silent invitation. She didn't need to full crouch as the 8th Pass dragons did, or extend a forearm. Instead, it was akin to a bending of the knees, lowering down on her limbs much in the way a feline did.

(( I can and I shall. But I have important snuggling to do, so I shall come back here afterwards. You shall call for me later. )) The imperious "instructions" were amusing in her soft, lilting tones that projected to both of them. (( Mend-a-lee first! ))

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:33 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl stared at Ponth for a moment, as her name was mispronounced. Then she ran over and hugged the dragon. "Ponth! I love what you just called me! Mendalee is so pretty! And you smell really good."

She stepped back, grinning at the dragon. No one had ever called her anything other than "Mendl" before, and she'd never known what she could change it to. "Menny" sounded demeaning, though her own name sounded like a task for the Tailorcraft.

"You've got a smart one here, Dytha!" she said.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 1:17 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"I very much get the impression that it's about the level of work you put into the training. Train them right and the good behaviour follows - like when you see those folks with the canines they've trained specifically for working. They know what they have been trained they can and can't do." As they rounded the last corner and Mendl complimented the green, Dytha couldn't hide the small smile of pride. "Just wait until you smell her. She's obsessed with this floral smelling oil she was given by that bronze I told you about. Now won't let me use anything else, the beast!"

There was nothing but teasing in her words as Ponth shuffled to them, her small body wriggling with delight at the sight of her Rider. She let loose a short toot of greeting at Mendl, peering at her closely.

(( Mend-a-lee! I haven't seen you with Mine for *ages*! ))

Clearly she had also forgotten how to pronounce the other Dragonhealer's name as well, but knowing Ponth, the nickname would probably stick.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 6:08 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Yeah. And, if I were to get a wher, Eyesis would eventually get over it," Mendl said. "She doesn't like whers because there are a couple around here who eat them. And she stays away from Foreth because, well, same. But I'm sure I could train a wher to not attack anything that moves."  They left the corridor and came out into full sunlight, where Ponth was waiting.

"Wow, she's really looking good today," Mendl said. "I don't think I've actually seen her in a while."

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:42 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Dytha nodded in acknowledgement. "I've contemplated one at times, Ponth's so small - sometimes she doesn't seem all that fearsome. And although we're technically safe wandering around in the dark? I don't know, sometimes it might be nice to have something a bit more... growly." They were coming towards the end of the short tunnel down to the Weyrbowl. "Besides, you've been sensible and have got a plan. That's better than putting all your wherries in one pot. It's practical."

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:11 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl echoed Dytha's shudder. "Yeah, I remember hearing that too. Thank Faranth I wasn't here then. It may have put me off of DragonHealing for good." She sighed heavily.

"I love what we do here. I'm not even worried about Impression. I mean, I'll Stand until I age out, just in case I'm the best match for a dragon, but if I never Impress, I've got Eyesis. And maybe I'll get a wher."

At that comment, Eyesis shrieked and went between.

"Or not."

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 5:20 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
OoC: Sorry Laurie! This one didn't show up for me!

IC: Dytha had grimaced with a shudder. "Exactly, shells can you imagine if smashing open the eggs was the NORMAL thing to do?" She had visibly balked at the idea of Candidates dragging the malformed bodies of undeveloped hatchlings from their eggs. "And you know, I DID hear something like that!" she had exclaimed, her eyes darting from side to side as she leaned in a little conspiratorially. "I heard that when she tried to pick it up... it.... it's head came off! Just as she Impressed to it!" Now there was nightmare fodder and then some and immediately her mind had flashed with the image of Ilexeth's transparent body when she had opened the egg up. What might have happened if she had tried to pick her up?

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:21 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
bump

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 9:08 PM Laurie Hicks <laurie.lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl nodded vehemently. "Exactly. It's like how if you're dozing, and you feel like you've been in a dream for hours but find out you've only been asleep like 15 minutes or so. Mental time is different from physical time." She became pensive again.

"I'm glad we rarely have unhatched eggs. If it were common, I'm not sure that we could keep candidates from smashing eggs open." She shuddered. "And I don't want more people seeing what's inside there. We'd have a Weyr full of candidates having nightmares. Or," she raised her hand to her mouth in horror, "did you hear what happened Turns ago? Someone not even a candidate opened an unhatched egg and Impressed it, and the dragon died almost immediately after. They still say her ghost haunts the tunnels in the Caverns."

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:48 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
With it decided, Dytha gave Ponth a sharp mental nudge, waking her up from her doze entwined about Vukoth and asked her to meet them in the Weyrbowl. Not surprisingly, there was a lot of grumbling but with the promises that she was only needed for a very short time, the green conceded and she would be in the Bowl by the time they came out of the tunnels.

They had begun walking down the tunnels and Dytha had slowed their pace slightly as it was clear that Mendl was beginning to talk a little about what was on her mind. She had whistled a low greeting to Eyesis as she arrived, noting the unusual markings on the green's wings. "I know what you mean. This felt... unnervingly bigger. Especially when they started talking about concerns that should the truth ever get out, we would see scores of Candidates kicking unhatched eggs in the hopes of finding their lifemate alive inside." She had shuddered visibly at the thought only to give Mendl a thoughtful look as the other expressed her opinion.

"Honestly? That's exactly my thoughts on it. It's why I personally believe that Ilexeth chose Ambrelli. Because in that moment in time, Ambrelli was what Ilexeth needed to guarantee a better chance at survival. Because if it's all "the dragon knows" how is their Rider always in the Weyr? Why are they not at High Reaches, Telgar, shells even Fort." Dytha tossed a careful glance over her shoulder, well aware that their topic was treading into somewhat controversial areas and didn't want to upset any eavesdroppers. She'd already done that the day before. "I believe that there is a certain emotional... resonance they look for. Something that feels... compatible. A bit how we get a feel for people and decide if we like them or not. But ultimately, I think so much of it comes down to a very primal need to survive and they pick the one that they feel, feels as though will increase those chances. Even when it seems a poor personality match, the dragon seems to thrive on the conflict - that's still a sort of drive to keep going. I don't think it's some mystical thing that is how they know their Rider's name. My thoughts on it is that at the moment of Impression when the "dragon space" is made, through that connection is when they get their Rider's name, because they have taken it from the Rider's head even before that person is fully aware of what has happened. The dragon knows because they're seeking to make that survival connection."

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 3:53 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"No straps. It's not that far, and I trust Ponth." Mendl had been at the Weyr enough Turns that being a passenger on a dragon was almost second-nature.

"Oh, I know. I...I haven't been sleeping well because of it. I think...I know we've dissected flit eggs, and those just didn't seem so close to home, even though I have Eyesis here." She rubbed her firelizard's neck when Eyesis decided to land on her shoulder. Her wings were spread so you could see the markings that looked like eyes on her wings. (ooc: think luna moth.) She was proud of those markings, and was also obscenely proud that she'd had unhatched eggs at one time to provide Mendl study material.

"But dragons. If superstition is to be believed, those babies were meant for someone. On the other hand, if this same superstition is to be believed, then maybe those dragons were meant for someone hundreds of Turns ago. Or hundreds of Turns in the future."  She shook her head. "I think baby dragons just pick whoever the best choice is from the Standing candidates. Or, in your case, whoever is closest when they Hatch." Again, rambling. And hopefully not hurting Dytha's feelings.

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 5:04 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"Don't ask. I keep having to explain why he can never catch her - or at least, I don't think he can - I'm sure he must be much too big! But he's just as infatuated with her which doesn't help! Because Ponth keeps asking me why Vukoth can't possibly catch her." Dytha rolled her eyes as she gestured that they wander down the tunnel. "You all right with no straps if you hang onto me, or would you prefer something to tie you down? We can cut through into my weyr and take a few minutes to strap her up."

She smiled but it wasn't quite there. "This past month has been something else, hasn't it? Shells, I didn't realise how much I wanted to go back to normal after those first couple sevenday. I feel like I could sleep for a month and still need a month more to rest."

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 9:48 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Ponth? And a bronze? I hope it's a small one," Mendl said with a wince. Though so far none of the SEF greens had run into any mating-flight issues. She leaned up against the wall. "This month has been exhausting, hasn't it? I'm kind of glad I only have a firelizard to manage, I don't know how you managed with Ponth, too. Oh, and of course I'd like to ride her to the Gather. Much better than those bumpy carts."

Mendl knew she was babbling, a habit she had when she was tired, stressed, ill, or all of the above. But it was also nice to have someone to talk to, and that also contributed to her babbling.

"So? Ready to go?"

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 12:27 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Mendl received another rare wink, the blue eyes behind it twinkling wickedly. "We've been too busy to catch up lately... but we have a lot to catch up on." Although a little younger than her, Mendl was still close enough in age and way of thinking that she enjoyed spending time with her. "I originally planned on having the evening to myself and enjoy having my evening's back without spending the night with an eye and ear awake for our new arrival." No, she hadn't begrudged the care she had been needed to assist with, but having spent a month on high alert had been emotionally exhausting. "But my plans changed and... I'm strangely excited for it! I think it's the first time I've ever done a Gather dance properly - you know, being asked and all."

She looked genuinely pleased to see Mendl and offered her arm companionably, groaning in delight at the food the other described. "Oh, shells - yes! I love those! I feel so greedy eating them but they are so worth it! I was going to hop on a wagon but I could give Ponth a nudge and quickly fly us over if you'd like! And I know she'd love to see you too. Ignore any grumbling about how terribly she's being treated by being taken away from the bronze she's laid claim to."

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 4:20 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"You have a date for the dance?" Mendl's eyes lit up. "How exciting! I'm still on the Rim about going to the dance." She shrugged. "I don't fancy anyone in particular, and there may be an emergency here." Actually, since Dytha had a date, Mendl wouldn't feel like she had to go to keep her company. Not that she actually did, but Dytha was her best friend.

"I'm looking forward to the greasy fried cakes they have," Mendl admitted with a grin. "Bubbly pies are easy to come by anytime. It's the fried dough with the sweetening and ground klah-bark that's what I like." (aka either funnel cakes or elephant ears, depending on the batter and the frying method)

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 5:34 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Dytha could see that the smile didn't quite touch Mendl's eyes and immediately felt a flash of concern. She had been thinking of the other girl over the past few sevendays, hoping she was doing as well as she could be after the Hatching. There was a double sided concern. Not only had she not Impressed but then she had had to be privy to what they had done. And whilst Dytha was an advocate of research and knowledge, something about it still sat heavy with her.

"I swear you must have been mind-reading," she said lightly and with a chuckle "I was headed out to find a dress for the Gather Dance this evening. Something to dazzle my date with. I could absolutely use a second set of eyes and there's always room for a ridiculous amount of Gather food." There was a cheerful wink and it was all extra effort to keep the mood light and airy. Dytha was never someone who had considered herself to be an exceptionally good people person, but something told her that her friend's spirits were perhaps a little low.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 1:50 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl smiled, though just barely. "Yeah, since Larsin...I mean Master Larsin was so generous with us, I wondered if you wanted to go shopping?" She was afraid she was sounding needy, but last night was rough and she needed a friend.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 9:56 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
OoC: Realised I had made some plans on days 1 and 2 so setting this early of day 3 :)

IC: The past couple of days had been a whirlwind. Between the first day of the Gather and having agreed to work the second, Dytha had entirely forgotten that she hadn't bought a dress for the Gather Dance. Although admittedly, she probably hadn't even though she was going so it was no surprise that everything in her small closet just wasn't really suitable enough for something as fancy she would like. And with an extra mark in her pocket, Dytha realised she had an opportunity to do something she didn't get to do very often - blatantly indulge.

So as it happened, she was literally just stepping out of her weyr when she spotted Mendl coming up the tunnel. Ponth was dozing on her ledge and she had agreed to meet R'bor later in the day and today she was wearing something a little more simple - some lightweight shorts that finished just above her knee, a long, flowing tunic and her comfortable sandals. She looked tidy but not as dressed up as she had been - if only to be a little more practical for trying dresses on. "Mendl!" she exclaimed, smiling at the sight of the other Apprentice. "I didn't expect to see you here."

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 1:17 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl had been having nightmares. Not screaming ones, but ones that woke her up with a jerk, or that if she did wake up, she couldn't get back to sleep. All these dreams featured dead embryos in eggs coming to life and chasing her calling, "Save me! No, save ME!"

She knew that what had happened needed to be done. The look of relief on various faces when they determined it was the quake that killed the eggs and not the parentage was proof-positive of that.  And so what if one was still alive? She still was.

It still bothered her though.

But all that was the past. Over and done with. Now there was a Gather in town, and she had a good friend who would help her spend the mark she got from Master Larsin. Since said good friend also received the same amount from him, they could go on a fun shopping spree.

So, she walked up to Dytha's weyr to see if she and Ponth wanted to go shopping. And maybe she would talk to Dytha about her nightmares...

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord