Re: A Candid Capture of Conversation (Tyne/Panagath)

Nutmeg

She had only been told by R'zzon some of the aspects of the nature of Panagath. Now she was experiencing his calm wisdom first hand. She was also starting to see a little more about how the blue fit with his Rider. It was something that always made a part of Tyne boggle, just how well it all seemed... to fit. She brushed it aside, adding it to the little pot of things she would think on later. Something to keep wandering thoughts busy.

"We can start whenever! I won some marks at the Gather - on the Arolos Cup and from the Harper Open. So I can use that to put into the pot." Yes, she possibly could have asked for a little monetary support from the Weyr, but... she felt a little awkward asking for sizeable amounts for repairs. And this way, she wasn't sitting on marks to burn. It had already taken a considerable amount of willpower not to take a wander past the Callamere stall at the Gather. "So, whenever you have some time to spare. I've already been in communication with the Woodcrafters so I can speak to them about arranging for the wood to be prepared for delivery. We will just need to visit the Stonecrafters at the Quarry and see what we can tempt them with." Hunching over her scrolls, more notes were jotted down in tiny, neat writing in a corner.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 1:05 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
{{You are trusted more than you know. Remember to trust them, too. They are smarter than you think. They know things.}} This was something she'd have to work on for herself. He couldn't explain it--there was a collective pool of knowledge that a firelizard could dip into. As with people, some couldn't read as well as others. And because their little brains were alien, the transfer of thought didn't always come across coherently. But with time, Tyne might be able to access the pool.

Dragons could, but it took effort to make sense of it, so they rarely tried. But, there were also some dragons attuned more to firelizards than others, making it easier to talk to them.

Or maybe it was proximity.

{{When do we start building?}}

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 11:34 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
The rumble of laughter in the undertone of his mind-voice was infectious and Tyne found herself smiling all the more in return. It piqued Tyne's interest that he thought green and blueriders were better for her and for a split second, she almost wanted to ask why. But at the same time realised that it might unintentionally come across as a little snobbish. She trusted Panagath's judgement. That was good enough for her.

His comment was unexpected and it took her a moment to think of a reply. "I really hope so, Panagath. I really do. If we have somewhere for them that they know is safe, maybe they won't need to cause bother in the main Infirmary where everyone is already so busy. This place can be safe for them. And for their owners." Her face went a little solemn as she looked up at them. "I mean... everyone likes firelizards. And so many people have them. This gives them a reason to be okay with me. To show them I'm safe too. If their firelizards trust me, maybe they'll trust me as well."

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:59 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
{{I wouldn't have suggested it if I weren't okay with it,}} Panagath said, a hint of laughter in his mind-voice. {{I'll ask around. I have friends. R'zzon has friends. Mostly blue- and greenriders, which is better for you anyway.}} Now that Tyne was more comfortable speaking with him, he was downright chatty. And the amount of information that he held would have amazed people who thought dragons weren't intelligent. Sure, his memory could be spotty, but he had places he could pull from: other dragons, people he'd interacted with before, R'zzon. Telepathy meant a whole large library that could be riffled through, if one knew how. But, one also had to know what they were looking for.

{{What you're doing for the tiny ones is good. They need their own place.}}

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 5:22 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"We can find out!" Tyne had exclaimed, only to look a little sheepish almost immediately after. "I don't want you doing anything you're not okay with. Perhaps... we could go at some point? See what the Stonecrafters say?" Her voice was tentative, like a child cautiously asking if they had done well. "Maybe you could quietly ask some others that you know? See who might be willing to help. A bit of dragon-strength will definitely make things easier - and quicker. I don't want you feeling like you have to do everything and tiring yourself out too much."

She seemed suddenly shy, as though the prospect of asking other dragons approached some invisible line of protocol that she wasn't sure she was allowed to cross. That it might seem rude or worse, unacceptable. The irony wasn't lost upon her. Not when not too many turns ago she would have issued an instruction without hesitation and with the silent expectation that it would be followed without question.

The more that Panagath gently inserted his voice into her thoughts, the less overwhelming it got. More to the point, it was giving her time to process the sensation's location and pinpoint it as the space where "other dragons" came from. The space they temporarily borrowed. It didn't cross the boundaries into the vast, gaping maw that wasn't theirs to take. Yes, that splinter of aching hurt still throbbed quietly beneath it but it was duller, less like a hot knife and more like the niggling discomfort of a bruise. She could live with bruises. No, not every voice could be accepted. She knew that. But maybe a few.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 11:37 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
{{Yes. There are broken pavers at the quarries that no one wants. You can probably get them cheap. Or," he rumbled, a chuckle if anyone ever heard one, "trade my services to them for a set amount of time, and get them for nothing. Others might help too. Not all dragons dislike the MiniKin.}}

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 1:23 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
As the massive head came down, for a second she was surrounded in warmth and the spicy smell of hide that hit a part of her emotions that she would never be able to share with anything else. Even the firelizards had their own space. But the sensation of being enveloped, that was what she missed. Tyne clung to it, storing it away in the piece of her that she was carefully and deliberately filling up with "good things" - things she could summon when she needed them the most.

"Shore..... up..." Tyne mumbled as she carefully wrote down a note on the schematics with a stub of charcoal that seemed to live in her pocket. "Okay, I'll need to find someone who can do that. I'll probably make a mess..." she giggled a little, as though sharing some silly joke. "Oh! A path! That would make sense - then people can come up more easily! Plus it will make it obvious that it leads somewhere." She paused, as if pulling out a memory. "I think the firelizards mentioned stone... Was that you telling them?"

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 5:57 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
If anyone were to think dragons didn't feel emotion, all they needed to do was watch Tyne and Panagath. Gently he swivelled his head down so it was barely touching her, and he pressed ever so gently against her side. Then, he drew it back and thought about her question.

{{There's that one fault that the MiniKin found,}} he said. {{That needs to be shored up. Then, the path to the weyr. It will rain. A stone path will help keep the inside cleaner, so that should be next.}}

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:36 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
She waited patiently for the answer he might give her. When it finally came, Tyne was lost for words. How was it that a dragon understood so well? And to think she had been so afraid that they wouldn't. Or couldn't. So many times she had questioned whether staying in the Weyr was the right thing to do, not just for herself but for everyone else too. Whether it would be better to lock herself away where she couldn't hurt anyone else ever again. Times like this, just as the firelizards had, that this had been the right place to stay.

For several long moments she didn't speak. Tyne didn't trust herself to. The truth was, she didn't have to. Not when she had twelve pairs of psychic ears who did it for her, quietly and almost solemnly conveying the sensation of the huge swell of emotion that had filled her heart, an emotion that was so much a myriad that there was no singular name for it. Gladness, gratitude, pure and unadulterated relief all mixed together in a shapeless mass. As though moving through water, her hand moved, lifting slightly and slowly to press onto the forelimb that was nearest to her. This time it didn't shimmer and blur into gold, it stayed a deep and dark shade of blue.

When finally she trusted herself to look deep into that whirling blue gaze, there was a suspicious hint of wetness to the corner of her eyes but the warmest of smiles pulling her lips upward. "So after I've put on these doors, what do you think might be good to start with?"

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 3:18 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
When Tyne asked him how he knew, Panagath wasn't sure how to put it into words. He wanted to be gentle, but as he studied her, he realized the explanation was simple.

{{Part of you is already between. If you get taken between, the rest can easily follow. And will endanger whoever you're with.}} This may have been one of the longest sentences Panagath had ever said to Tyne, and as if saying it gave him carte blanche, he continued.

{{You're safe with me. Don't let anyone take you there. I'll take you wherever you want to go.}}

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 4:14 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"That was my thinking, get the doors up first and then we can start encouraging the firelizards to want to be there when it's safe and closed off. Get them used to the place." She knew it wouldn't be hard for either herself or Bobbin (or the others) to spread the idea that it was where they needed to go if they needed somewhere safe or had injuries. Panagath's next words made her look up with a ripple of surprise that caused a couple of the firelizards to rustle in reflection.

"How did you know that?" Genuine surprise tinged her features as Tyne looked up to the blue. R'zzon had never seen the steps necessary for her to travel Between, had only been told that she couldn't do it conscious but had never seen it because he had always respected the need to fly straight. Yes, she supposed that Panagath could have picked up on an element like that but... but it didn't feel like that. Didn't feel that he was just picking up on the memories of conversations. It was hard to explain the way Between made her feel. It was a different feel to the paralysing fear that tried to creep up her arms and legs, rooting her into place, a deep and terrifying fear of the icy cold and at the same time, an intoxicating whisper that tried to wrap thorny fingers into her that a significant part of her wanted to shy away from.

From his vantage point a short distance away, Fenlyn continued to sketch rapidly. But he had already got something in mind for what he was going to present to Tyne. He didn't think she even realised the irony of sorts, that out of all the moments she had already given him that day, what was sitting right in front of him was probably about as candid and intimate as it could get. And there was nothing contrived about it. The image of a woman deep in animated conversation with a dragon that wasn't even hers. It was bittersweet.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 6:19 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
{{I can do that. Give the MiniKins their new place faster,}} Panagath said. It wouldn't take much for him to between several loads of wood.  But...

{{Send others. You shouldn't go between.}} He could fly her straight there, and straight back if she wanted to supervise, but he wouldn't take her between. It was too dangerous. It would be too easy for her to get lost between, and she could easily take others with her.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 7:47 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
His voice felt strange. But a moment to settle herself made her realise that it felt strange because it wasn't coming from where she was expecting it to. Was that why it caught her off kilter? It was like expecting to hear someone from one side of the room but instead their voice seemed to come from a totally different direction. Was that why it made her feel, quite literally, caught off balance and disorientated?

"Well they're nowhere yet, I still need to have them built." She had been holding off because she knew they would be expensive. But the Gather had unexpectedly helped with that. "But the best wood to do that needs to be brought in. It doesn't come from directly around Arolos." She glanced up at the blue, a small and worried expression flickering about her face. "I was hoping I might be able to convince you to help with that. It would be faster with a dragon rather than getting it shipped. With the doors in place, I can keep the rest of the room safe whilst I work on fixing it up. Stop all the bad weather coming in."

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:30 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
{{I can lift,}} Panagath said, taking her invitation to heart. Talking to her was similar to talking to another rider, but even he had to balance on that same cliff where Myrandith should be. But the cliff was also easier to balance on, because of the faire. They provided a buffer of sorts. He'd never talked to another Asymmetric before, so had nothing to compare it to, though he probably wouldn't have reason to. The closeness between his rider and her was what made him start to notice her, but she was also good to be noticed in her own right. He would probably talk to her even if R'zzon didn't wish to.

But that would never happen. He knew that without a shadow of a doubt.

{{I like those doors. Where are they?}}

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 7:24 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
It was a constant flicker of emotion and images moving back and forth. Whilst it was obvious that the likes of the greens and blues used a far simpler construct, it took on a significant degree of depth as it shifted from brown, to bronze, to gold - it all moved at a rapid pace but there was defined precision and purpose to it all as they merrily converse with the blue. They were very pleased, Bobbin in particular, with the care that Panagath's was taking with their mistress, flickering the waves of calm that the man's presence seemed to induce when he was around.

Tyne chattered on, not completely paying attention to her fair's conversations with Panagath as she directed his attention to a secondary diagram of the same weyr but with a sketch of large wooden doors on the front. She was getting better at being the "eye of the storm" after her talk with K'ren. "Oh... Panagath..." The exclamation was small but brimming with emotion as the fair relayed the images as well as the blue's concerns. "... Thank you..." She wanted to reach out but didn't know if she could go that far. Immediately it was picked up on, that tinge of uncertainty flickered to the blue. "Small amounts are okay. I... I would really like to be better with you. I... think a couple of allowed voices might... help. Not seem so... hurtful. I'm... getting better at seeing it's not the same, that it doesn't come from the same place and you don't want to cause harm or... or intentionally remind me that Myrandith isn't here." There it was again, that deep seated twinge of sorrow that made her chest ache. Although its intensity didn't provoke such a visceral reaction anymore, its rawness still sent a spear of sharp pain through her heart.

"Ironically, a bit of heavy lifting is exactly where I think I could use your help the most..." When she spoke again, albeit after a moment's pause to compose herself, Tyne deliberately moved back to the point. She wasn't going to sit and dwell. That was the whole point of this. Not sitting and dwelling. But actually doing.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 12:59 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Yes, the faire had told him. He answered their questions; even told them when he was a weyrling not much larger than them he used to splash in the puddles all the time. For a short while, R'zzon had been known as 'Mudface". And if they told Tyne, so what? She could surprise him with that someday.

It was easy, carrying on two conversations at once. Another draconic trait; possibly having to do with Threadfall and needing to keep the faire--and the Weyr--safe. He'd never spoken to this many of the MiniKin at one time, or for as long, and was surprised at what others were missing out on. They weren't unintelligent; just a different type of intelligence. And one could learn a lot from them. But now, Asymmetric Rider requested his attention.

He looked at the plans, and was fed more information as to its structure, size, location and more minute details that she didn't have. That wall would need shoring up, because one of the MiniKin browns had seen some hairline fractures in the wall. The ledge wasn't necessary; but he knew of a place that had nice large flat rocks that the Stonecrafters had tossed away because they weren't good enough for the Holds. But they could be easily fitted together, to make a nice cobbled path.

He fed the images to the MiniKin, knowing they would relay them back to Tyne, along with a query of 'what can I help with?' He didn't mind talking to her, but he didn't want to overwhelm her with dragonvoice, either.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 5:17 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Like moving hands, the firelizards had scuttled into action, crawling over Panagath's hide as they set to work. Even as they set to work there was quiet inquiry made, like peculiar draconic small-talk, all through probing emotions and flashes of images. Was Panagath well? They did hope so. They liked him. They had been enjoying this sunny weather, had he liked it too? That downpour the other day was very peculiar, wasn't it?! They had gone and played in the puddles outside, did he like playing in puddles? It was cheerful, almost mindless chatter - much in the way a Healer would randomly babble about small topics of conversation whilst getting on with their work.

With voices like Panagath's, she was getting better. Maybe because it was because there were so many ways it was similar to R'zzon's. It was also low and calm, not big and energetic. Whenever the blue had entered her mind, rather than letting herself succumb to the panic it tried to rouse, she had made herself focus instead on where it "felt" it was in her head. And when she didn't fall headlong into the pit, she had realised that the blue's voice didn't try to fill Myrandith's space, more that it seemed to occupy a different area altogether. And that had prompted... something to shift. Something of a realisation. That the dragon voices didn't stake claim on empty space that wasn't theirs to take, more that they shifted to a different space connecting to it. Like the firelizard bubbles. When she had tried to explain it to the Mindhealers, it had been easier to draw a picture.

As the soft and rumbling voice entered her thoughts, there was no visible flinch. She was getting better at not flinching. Better at quietly holding back the instinctive flush of panic that tried to rear up. It took a moment to steady herself, but she was calm. Settling on a large rock, her legs crossing comfortably, there had even been a small smile for Panagath. "Because I know the fair tells you everything, I'm sure they've told you about the project I'm working on. I'm helping to make a space for them. For all of them, when they're hurt, when theirs need some help understanding them. All sorts. But it is a space they can go and won't upset anyone," The smile had taken on a touch of wryness as she glanced at Panagath's whirling eyes. "Because we all know how loud they get when they're scared. So I've found a space for them!" The scroll was unfurled on the stone and Bobbin helpfully provided several small stones to hold the corners down.

The scroll was a mass of diagrams but she pointed to the one that was a sketch of the front of the dilapidated weyr she had claimed, the wall collapsed and exposing the interior of the weyr, the ledge broken but wide enough to be rebuilt into a pathway as it connected to steps down into the Weyrbowl. "This place! It needs a lot of work though..."

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 1:56 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Panagath greeted Tyne's firelizards like old friends. To him, they were friends--not overly chatty, but helpful and calming after a day of drills or Threadfall with R'zzon. It did surprise him, though, when the Asymmetric Rider greeted him. He liked her too, mostly because R'zzon liked her. But he also felt a touch of protection towards her. She used to be whole, but now she wasn't. Her symmetry was gone, though the firelizards were bringing a little of that symmetry back.

They had told him once that she thought the dragons hated her because she lost that part of herself. They didn't hate her, most just didn't understand how it could happen, that she was here but the rest of her wasn't. He knew that if he lost his R'zzon part, he would join that part *between*. But for some reason, when she lost her Myrandith part, she hadn't been allowed to go with her. Dragons didn't understand why she wasn't allowed to go. Now Myrandith had to wait for Tyne to come join her. So, meanwhile, he would protect Myrandith's to the best of his ability.

She surprised him by talking to him without R'zzon around, but he didn't mind. He sat in front of her attentively and cocked his head after pointing out some spots on his back by his wingjoints that were itching him. {{I'm listening,}} he said, though he didn't want to scare her by talking to her too much.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 1:04 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

IC Date Reference: Set a few days post-Gather. IC date approximately 8.28.6.6.

She had met the Harper at the Gather, spending almost a full candlemark talking to him when she realised that she missed the Northern twang a lot more than she had realised and to her delight, hadn’t forgotten how to interpret the soft and lilting words. Tyne hadn’t been surprised that he had vaguely recognised her but deeply delighted that he hadn’t immediately turned into the nervous wreck that most people seemed to find themselves in when they realised they were talking to “that dragonless woman who used to be a Goldrider, but  now she isn’t and oh Faranth how do I address her?”

Initially it had started as a request for one of the candid sketches he was offering to do but after talking a while, Tyne had realised that it had the potential to be turned into something even better. She didn’t like the formally, painfully posed for portraits that she had done more than her share of at High Reaches, much preferring the more natural capture of someone who didn’t even seem aware that they were being watched. With much laughter and discussion, she had arranged that Harper Fenlyn would spend a day or so following her, capturing assorted sketches with the plan to turn one into a portrait. She already knew who it would be for.

And that was how she had spent the day with the man, always at a discreet distance as he followed her. He had been right, she would forget that he was there and after the initial awkward couple of candlemarks, she had continued about her day as though nothing was going on. Her win on both the runners and at the Harper Open had given her the marks to approach the Woodcrafters in the Weyr and had been enjoying a meandering stroll about the Lake when she had spotted a familiar bundle of deep blue hide. She had been getting far more comfortable about Panagath, desperately wanting to reach some level of acceptance by him and so, in a bid to make herself more confident in her dealing with him, had started on the idea of not treating the blue like a dragon, but rather, like another person. Talking to him like a person, even down the small talk such as asking how the weather was.

The firelizards that had followed her in a small cloud had immediately swarmed to the blue, chattering in delighted greeting as they settled about him, many of them asking if they could help with any scratching he might need, or even any bathing if he so wished. And Tyne had followed, the large scroll tucked under her arm as she carefully approached him. “Might I bother you for an opinion, Panagath? I’ve got something I’d like to show you. I think I might need a little help, too.”

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord

Recluso#6042 on Discord