Re: Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Riders (De'con/Delysia/Razelth)

Nutmeg

It was a little surprising to hear someone so young to be so cynical. But, it had likely come about for a reason. It was a shame to see but he certainly wasn't going to dwell on it. Sometimes things happened that tainted the way we saw the world a little. "True, when you're dead an' gone you won't care if they say your skin was green an' you ran around claimin' you had wings. But when you're alive an' able to do somethin' about it? Well now, I know I'd want to make sure that things were set right. So that the story kept on goin' the way it was meant to, not because some fanciful Harper got carried away with themselves. But then, I'm one of them saps who likes to hold ideals of truth even when no one really wants to hear it. Just because it's ugly don't mean it's not true, nor that it didn't happen. We need a bit of ugly so we can appreciate some of the good. Corny as it may be." He offered her another of his lazy, easy smiles, settling back on the seat with his arms draped over the back. "Now that you've heard an old romantic wax lyrical about truth, you can go throw up in a corner and sign me off as some delusional dreamer." There was a twinkle of mirth in his eyes, happy to poke fun at himself.

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 3:41 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
Delysia traded him an ironic glance. "Does the truth really matter, I wonder? Or only the popular perception of the truth." She said dryly. "When I am dead and gone, those scrolls will contain the only version of the truth there will ever be." This was a deeply cynical side of Delysia that she rarely showed anyone, even those she considered friends. But there was something about De'con that made him feel incredibly easy to talk to. Perhaps because there was no judgment in his eyes, only a gentle acceptance. Delysia would have had nothing but contempt for another's judgment. "The Weyr archives hold a collection of writing on past Weyrwomen and Weyrleaders. I suspect that some of those individual would be quite surprised at how their legacy has been portrayed."

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 3:12 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
De'con liked to think that he had been around long enough to get to know the world a little. And anyone who paused that long and came up with an answer that simple had a story that they either didn't want to tell, or perhaps weren't ready to. And had he been someone else, maybe he would have pushed a little to see how far he could go, what information he could glean. But that wasn't his style. So instead he sat back a little, his easy smile perhaps deepening a little more as he regarded her. "I bet the Harpers just loved that for their elaborate tales of the upcoming of the now Goldrider." There was a soft tease in his eyes, not spiteful, not cruel, just... gentle. "How many versions of your life have you seen on the scrolls, each more fantastical than the last and perhaps held together with only a thread of the truth?"

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:40 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
There was a pause that only just stop short of being significant. And when the response finally came, it was just a little too casual. "Oh, it's the age old story. Young holder girl gets searched. After a while she ends up at Arolos Weyr where she surprises everyone by impressing a gold dragon." Delysia shrugged lightly. "There's not that much to it really. I'll admit, weyr life came as a bit of shock after growing up in a Hold, but I've adapted over time."

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 7:42 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
De'con chuckled at that one. "The Weyr of Last Resorts you say? I kinda like the sound of it. Means there's space for an old crooner like me." He stretched, careful not to knock over the gitar still sitting across his lap. "I've wondered the same thing myself from time to time, y'know? You hear an awful lot being said about other places that you can't help but wonder what might be said if the shoe was on the other foot. People who sling mud th'fastest are often the ones who don't have th'cleanest faces themselves."

He was enjoying this. Small, quiet talk. Companionable. Not raucous and overbearing. "So how did you find yourself in this place then? If I might be so bold as t'ask, or has Arolos been a home t'you all your life?"

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 5:52 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
Delysia was quiet for a moment. "There are worst places to find a fresh start than Arolos." She said finally, her tone matter of fact. "And you wouldn't be the first to look for that here." After all, who was she to judge anyone over their past. You can't change the past, so it was only the future that mattered - and the choices you made a long the way. "I've heard some Northerner riders call us the Weyr of Last Resorts." She mused. A light smirk danced on her lips. "I've always wondered whether those people have ever stopped to consider what that said about their Northern Weyr."

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 4:08 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
He could see that everything she did was so careful. Cautious. Not fearful, that he could see at least, but... practised. Sometimes, De'con felt tremendous sympathy for the Goldriders and their perpetual masks, having to gauge any and all that they came across. But in this mask, there was just a hint of suggestion that he was wearing through. For someone who lived for relaxed comfort, the bronzerider liked to encourage it, as best he could, in the company he shared. He wasn't a threat to anyone. Except maybe a sandwich.

Cocking his head slightly, there was a wry smile on his face. Well, it wasn't as though she couldn't just get his transfer papers if she wanted to know and Weyrs talked anyway. "My old Wingleader figured I might be needin' a fresh start. It's been a rough few years f'me an' Ourneth. We lost a bunch o' people, includin' my mama and my daddy. An' then I took to drinkin'. I took to it a lot. Took me a good long while to clean up my act. Get back on my feet. We talked about it and I figured a fresh start needed a blank page to start it with." There was a candid honesty to his words but it was clearly a very neat little summary of the situation. An easy explanation without dragging out ugly, unnecessary details.

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 4:56 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
Delysia arced one graceful eyebrow at the bronzerider's antics. "Somehow I can't see you as the needs saving sort." She replied dryly, though the slight curve of her lips betrayed her amusement. "And certainly you need hope." She added on a more serious note. "Nothing has ever been attempted that didn't have at least a hope of success. But one must be practical as well." She shrugged delicately.

"So what bring a bronzerider like you to a Weyr like this?" She asked lightly, changing the subject. Perhaps she didn't feel like philosophizing any further. Or maybe it's additional conversations about the lessons taught by parents that she wished to avoid.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 2:23 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
The grin that she got back was wider, certainly but had lost none of its warmth as he let out a gasp of mock, dramatic shock, clutching his heart. "Ma'am you wound me deeply! An' here I was just thinkin' that all I needed to be doin' was pine away and wish forever. Oh... ma'am... you've saved me from a more terrible plight." Delysa got another snort of laughter, a touch of solemnity fading his smile as he shook his head. "No, wishin' does you no good at all. Trust me, I've done enough in my time. But, instead o' wishin'. I like to think it's just a little  bit o' hope. Sometimes that's what you need."

He tossed a playful wink at the Goldrider. "An' mama would be agreein' with you sure enough. But my daddy gave me his romantic heart. So you can be blamin' him."

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:48 PM <mglady3@...> wrote:
This earned him a faint snort. "No one has ever gotten anything merely by wishing for it." Delysia lobbed back, the light of challenge firing up her fine eyes in even in the semi dimness of the caverns. "Certainly your mama would have taught you that?"

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
De'con's grin widened, his face lighting up in weather beaten folds. "Careful now," he chuckled, "You'll be thinkin' I'm some sort of mama's boy next. But if you promise not tell anyone on me, I'll confess to lovin' mama dearly." There was obvious fondness in his eyes, his fingers absently plucking the occasional string on the gitar. It was comforting to see the Goldrider adjust her position to something that appeared far more relaxed and less, well, official. De'con liked to think he was good with people and enjoyed seeing others relax around him.

Delysia got a small snort of laughter at her tease and the whisper of a challenge in her smile. Oh yes, she was clever. And clever made conversation interesting and the potential to be multi-faceted. He enjoyed those sorts of conversations. The ones that could go on until the small hours of the night because a simple topic had turned into something deeper and more philosophical. "I'll make sure t'be keepin' an eye out for a shootin' star and wish all the harder," he quipped back. "An' if you asked my daddy, he would want to take all the credit for sure. He was a Brownrider. He an' my mama had been off an' on again for years. When I came along, or rather, whilst I was still brewin', they decided t'be makin' things more official. It worked well for them, though I'm sure there might be some thinkin' that a Rider an' a Crafter could never work. But they did. In fact one of my best memories isn't just the day I Impressed Ourneth. It's because I remember just how darn proud they both were. Even if mama was initially a bit worried about a dragon bein' the one to decide things for me. But she loved Ourneth all the same. An' told him off plenty times too!" De'con's voice was a soft rumble as he spoke, his lilting drawl skipping easily over the words.

OoC: I haven't been able to add it to his sheet but if it's helpful at all - this is De'con's picture reference (until I find a 3D model I like :P): https://pin.it/1OspeWJ

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020, 05:41 , <mglady3@...> wrote:

Neither the use of past tense nor the affectionate tone escaped Delysia, who prided herself on her ability to read between the lines. Then again, only a particularly dense individual could miss De'con's very obvious affection for his mother. "You are certainly biased." She told him with a smile. "But if a son isn't allowed to be biased about his mother, then who is?"

"I do like to keep my own gitar handy." She admitted. "And who knows, if you play your cards right, you may just get your wish." The smile that she flashed him held an edge of challenge, but was also levered by the glint of amusement in her expressive eyes.

She leaned forward a little, so that she could lean her arms against the railing. "So, how did the son of a harper end up as a bronzerider?" She asked. She didn't quite know what it was about the man, but she felt oddly comfortable in his presence. More than she'd ordinarily be with a stranger of less than 10 minutes acquaintance.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 3:54 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"She sure was, I'm probably biased but I'm sure she could have been one of the best Harpers around. She sure did have an ear for good music." De'con glanced back at Delysia, his lop-sided smile tugging a little wider. "No, I'm definitely biased. Because if you ask me, as far as I'm convinced, mama could have made the world brighter just by walkin' into the room with a smile." There was a sigh now, one that seemed more than a little regretful. He hadn't noticed his own careful use of the past tense, nor his more affectionate use of the word "mama" instead of "mother".

He glanced back at Delysia, seeing the expert way she handled the instrument. His smile deepened, as did the twinkle in his eye as she strummed a melodic chord. No, there was none of the awkward uncertainty of where to place hands. She knew what she was doing. "Well now, I figure you're no stranger to a gitar yourself." He took the instrument back, running a hand fondly over the worn wood. "I've had this one since, well, so long I could lie and say since I'd forgotten when. I've had it since my tenth turn birthday. None of this startin' with a smaller size. My mama said I would learn to do it properly if I wanted to learn to do it well. I like to think, when I'm feelin' kind t'myself - that I'm goin' to be just as good as she was. Now those were some nimble fingers. I would swear that all you saw was a blur an' somehow she was makin' the music come out!" Another genuine chuckle and he patted the instrument fondly.

He glanced back to Delysia and it was completely apparent by his relaxed smile, warm expression and almost lazy posture that he was just enjoying the company. "If I might be so bold ma'am, perhaps some day you'd let me hear you play a little too. Ain't nothin' like a couple of folk enjoyin' puttin' two different voices together an' hearin' them sing." Despite his internal acknowledgement that she was, beyond a doubt, a stunning woman, Delysia would be able to see that there was no lasciviousness in his words, no hint at innuendo that what he actually wanted to do was make a different "type" of music with her. There was a warmth and gentle calmness in just about everything he did and that comfortableness was an aura that radiated pleasantly from him.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 5:38 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
"Your mother was a harper, then? It sounds like the two of you were close. " Delysia asked lightly.

She took the gitar from him, accepting the silent invitation. She ran a gentle but knowing hand across the old, but still handsome instrument, from the top of the tuning knobs, down the graceful neck, and across the robust body. Yes, her initial impressions had not deceived her - a old instrument, but well cared for and fine. She strummed a light chord and smiled with pleasure at the sweet voice of the instrument. "A fine instrument." She said, reaching forward to hand it back to De'con. From her shoulder, Aoede cooed lightly, as if in agreement.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 3:34 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
He wasn't sure what had been happening in her head but even he had spotted the slight shift in the smile that made it well, if he was mistaken, perhaps just a little warmer. Had he known more of her, perhaps he might have been more cautious but then, even that was hard to say. It was a hypothetical that didn't even exist. His own smile deepened slightly, his face crinkling into familiar folds that said a smile was what he wore the easiest.

As Delysia leaned forward to look at the gitar, he held it out to her, a silent invitation that she was welcome to take it and inspect the instrument. De'con had already had his suspicions and these were confirmed when she spoke of not having much time. "I know the feelin' all the well. Not too long ago, when Ourneth an' me weren't goin' through the best of times - well I made a promise to myself, and my mother, that I would make sure I kept a little piece of every day to be just for me and some music. Might be a corny soundin' idea - but gettin' back into my music downright near saved my life. So I figure I owe it to myself to keep on playin'."

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 12:52 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
Delysia was always a little wary of men, of male riders in particular. Because from experience, men really only had one thing in mind when it came beautiful women. Oh, she had no trouble working with men or talking to them on a day to day. And if a flirty smile here and there will get her what she wants, well, a girl was entitled to use all the tools at her disposal, so long as the girl understood the game that she played. And Delysia did not intend to be a fool again, not for anyone.

However, even Delysia had troubling holding on to her wariness in the presence of someone so obviously at ease with himself. And the smile that greeted De'con's laughter was not entirely contrived. She leaned forward to look at the gitar when he drew attention to it. As he said, it was old and worn, but obviously well cared for and beloved. "I think your mother would be pleased to see you continue to practice her teachings." She replied, honestly. "It's not always easy to find time as a rider. I should know."

Aoede didn't deign to respond directly to the compliment, but she preened in a way that indicated that she was well pleased.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 4:15 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"A real pleasure it is to meet you, ma'am. If yours has been anythin' to go by, it's been as warm a welcome as it's sunny days." There was a small, slightly lop-side curl of his mouth and a twinkle to his eye that suggested that De'con lived by good humour and easy words but knew how to arrange them in appropriate propriety. "It's been a real pleasure t'be puttin' pen to a fresh page. Downright refreshin' it is too."

Her smile was of course, devastating. How many hearts had she broken, he wondered, catching the sparkle that flashed through her eyes. Her words brought a chuckle, a thick bubble of sound that sounded as if it had come from the soles of his feet and rumbled its way through him. It was a laugh that came easily and was clearly unforced. "Well I'll be takin' the compliment and thankin' you kindly. Although if it's a song written by me, then it's pretty much damned to obscurity. My mother was a Harper. I'm sure she'd be real sorry to see me wastin' her trainin' strummin' this old thing." As he spoke, he lifted the gitar and settled it back in his lap, idly picking at the strings in a lazy, tuneful composition. It was obvious that it wasn't a gesture designed to impress or show off, just one he was comfortable doing, like he didn't know what his hands should be doing otherwise.

Aeode's tuneful warble brought a small whoop of delight from the man, the tone enough to show his glee but not so loud as to be overly raucous or disturbing, He was ever mindful of the gold nearby. "Well now, lovely, I'm thinkin' you should've been a Harper yourself with that wonderful little voice."

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:43 PM <mglady3@...> wrote:
The man leaned forward and Delysia could see his face more clearly. It was an older face, full of history, but wore it well. She'd been right, he wasn't anyone she'd encountered before. And the man's own words a few seconds later confirmed her assessment.

"In that case, welcome to Arolos, De'con. I am Delysia." She didn't feel the need to elaborate beyond that. She hadn't missed the sideways glance at her knots. If the man couldn't put two and two together from there, he really was too stupid to bother with, even with his musical talent. "I hope that you have found your first impression of the South to be a positive one?"

At the man's last comment, Delysia smiled and there was a flash of something in her eyes that could have been amusement. "I think you are being overly modest. I think you know perfectly well that that 'twiddling' of yours is quite as good as some of things that come out of the Harper Halls." As if in agreement, Aoede warbled a brief string of notes that resembled the opening of De'con's tune.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:14 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
As the woman stepped forward, De'con was pleasantly surprised. She was, for lack of better wording, astoundingly beautiful with an exotic touch that he was sure captured the hearts... and loins... of more than the occasional admirer. Spotting the knots, he inclined his head again in polite acknowledgement of her rank. "You'd be welcome to tell to get on out of here, I promise I won't take offence." His speaking voice was as soft a drawl as his singing voice and he leaned forward, bringing his own features more clearly into the light. "But you'd be right ma'am. I landed just a few days ago. De'con of bronze Ourneth. It certainly is a pleasure. And the song? Well, I guess not knowing it isn't too much a surprise either - it's one of mine - just some twiddlings I put together."

The sight of the tiny gold brought a short laugh of clearly delighted surprise. "Well hello there, lovely one. I'm sure glad that you approve. I wouldn't be wantin' to make anyone's ears bleed."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:45 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
"The acoustics in these caverns are very good indeed." Delysia agreed, taking the last few steps to bring her to De'con's side, now that she was certain of doing so without breaking the musician's attention.

"You play well, though I don't recognize the song." She offered. "I don't think I've seen you around here before either." She added, conversationally. It was hard to make out exact features in the dark, but Delysia didn't think she could be mistaken about a voice. Casually, she slung the rope toy she'd been carrying over one shoulder. Almost immediately, a pale golden shape, recognizable even in the darkness, dove down to land there, tiny golden claws digging into the rope for stability. Aoede peered at the stranger and crooned softly.

The corners of Delysia's mouth curved. "Even Aoede agrees. And she's the real critic here."

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 2:52 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"... I guess I'll see you, somewhere around... You'll never know when, I'll be.... back around...."

It wasn't a loud or ostentatious singing designed to capture someone's attention. It was a low, intimate hum of a song as if it was being directly sung to the person whom it was intended. It was accompanied by intricate strains as his fingers jumped over the strings. He clearly knew the instrument well, his eyes closed half the time and not needing to look at the strings. He was aware of the shape of someone stepping closer but made no move to cut the music short. It just sounded too damn good in the cave for him to give it up until it was done.

It went on for several more minutes. An almost melancholic song of regret. Sure, it was a little corny around the edges, but there was a soothing quality to it. "... It's funny, lady... how time slips away..."

The four thrumming strums of stronger chords, plus the fact he finally took his hand away indicated that he was indeed finished. Setting the instrument carefully to one side, and making a note to take his boots off the railing, De'con turned to Delysia. He couldn't see her too clearly in the soft light but could tell from her outline that it was definitely a "her". "Ma'am." he said in greeting with a tip of his head that seemed to say, if he was wearing a hat, he would have tipped that in greeting too. Common sense dictated that this was possibly the gold's rider but the light wasn't strong enough to make any notes clear just yet. "I hope my caterwauling isn't waking up the Weyr. But the acoustics were too good to pass up."

OoC: I'm going on the assumption that the cavern gets pretty dark in the evening so that the gold can rest more easily - so I'm assuming that right now, the most he can see of Delysia is some shadows and a few details :P

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 4:22 AM <mglady3@...> wrote:
Delysia usually chose to spend her evenings and nights in the Caverns so that she could be close to Razelth. There was a smallish cavern off of the main cavern that adapted beautifully into temporarily living quarters. Delysia had moved in the night before, but even the most supremely organized person could not move with forgetting *something*. Or several somethings.

It was with the latest *something* in hand - Boudicca's favorite cat toy, a bunch of colorfully knotted ropes - that Delysia return find soft strains of music drifting out of the cavern entrance.

If Delysia wasn't so aware of her own dignity and what was due to it, she would have groaned. She was starting to regret her announcement to the candidates, because it seemed to have encouraged every hack who could lay hands on an instrument to facing themselves a musician. But that was before she stopped and really had a listen.

This one...well, this one actually sounded like he knew what he was doing. And with Delysia's acutely musical ear, that was no mean compliment. Curious now, she move quietly and swiftly through the cavern tunnel on soft, though well padded boots. She picked her way through the stands to where the musician sat. Though she did not try to hide, neither did she attempt to break his concentration.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 3:51 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
It had been a nice surprise to learn that there was clutch on the Sands. Another new start, just like his own. And the rumours on the berry vine had been that the gold was rather partial to a bit of music. And that suited him just fine. Ourneth had caught a gold once. Just once. The lump had insisted that his Rider play for "his" babies all of the time. Hopefully this wouldn't turn into a regular occurrence, but it might be a good way to while away the time, maybe meet someone or two. Preferably someone with a musical ear.

Being that it was getting on in the day, there was next to no one in the stands. No, he didn't mind Candidates but he wasn't in the mood to entertain half a dozen kids. He wasn't exactly dressed to impress a goldrider, clad in a well worn, comfortable checked shirt, his sleeves rolled up, an equally worn pair of trousers and his most favourite pair of boots that had definitely missed polishing day more than once. But his gitar, that had been well and truly loved, the deep sheen of well polished care giving the rich dark wood a lustrous glow.

Making himself comfortable, boots up on the safety railing, he twiddled with the strings as he tuned he instrument expertly, fingers plucking until he found the right note. He could see the dark shape of the gold in the dim light, but didn't address her directly - just in case she were resting.

The acoustics in here were astounding and for several minutes he let the rich noise echo around the cave, a pleasant strumming before he added his low tenor to it, a drawling croon that complimented the gitar's melody.

"Well, hello there... my, it's been a long, long time... How you doing? Oh, I guess that I'm doin' fine..."

OoC: Yes, he is basically singing Willie Nelson's "Funny How Time Slips Away". Because he's a cowboy at heart ;)

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Recluso#6042 on Discord