Re: You're willing to take me back, right? (Dytha/Larsin)

Laurie

Larsin nodded. "I see." His face was stern and unforgiving, though inside he was dancing a jig. Of course he wanted Dytha back. But he wasn't going to make it easy for her because...well, because he liked to be difficult.

"You've missed three Turns of studies, so what makes you think you can pick up where you left off?"

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:53 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"I'd heard about a new microscope!" Her enthusiasm was very genuine and she couldn't help but look around in case she could see one. She didn't care what the majority seemed to think, as far as she was concerned there was a whole lot that the Oldtimers had been saying which had made a whole lot of sense. And it had made for even more questions. Cleaning off her own hands, the habit as natural as breathing, Dytha looked at him matter of factly.

"I'm not going to beat about the wherry. You probably heard that most of use graduated." The "finally" didn't have to said verbally, it was heavily implied in the silence. "And they told me that they don't expect me to be a full Rider, more an... emergency "Oh Faranth we're REALLY desperate" Rider. Which is more than fine by me! Because I want to come back. I want to come back so badly like you can't even imagine."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 1:11 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Larsin began to smooth oh the past, thinly at first then a bit thicker as the thin layer dried.

"Microscopes that are way superior than the primitive things we've been using." He pointed to the workbench, where they did a lot of studying. "As I'm sure you know, some varieties of plants that are way superior to what we had. I've got my own greenhouse in the back, since I can never trust the Healers to have enough for us, too. Some medicines that take less time to get our patients feeling better." Wingsail repaired, he looked over at her and grinned. "I had to pay a hefty price for all this knowledge, but it was worth it."

He rose and washed his hands of the gunk he'd been using. "So, is there a reason you're gracing us with your visit?"

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 5:26 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Even the snapped tones were a delight on her ears. She had missed the Master, recognising a deep source of valuable knowledge that she had been determined to learn from. Plus, his mind was curious, not completely bound by "well that's just the way its been" and asked questions that made sense because they were logical pondering. He didn't have to ask twice. Briskly she stepped in, rolling up her sleeves and dunking her hands in the waiting bowl of redwort to disinfect them before she stepped carefully to the side of the green, bending down to the wher's view but at a comfortable enough distance that she wasn't in the creature's face. Dragons were one thing, as were flits. Whers were an entirely different kettle of fish.

"You're going to feel another set of hands on you, lovely. My name's Dytha. You let me know if I'm making you uncomfortable."

Standing back up, she moved back to Larsin's side. Yes, that was definitely a torn wingsail. Carefully she smoothed out the membrane, holding it flat and as straight as possible to bring the edges together as neatly as she could. "Skin paste, 'ey? What other tricks did they leave behind?"

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 12:04 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Don't just stand out there, come in and help me with this beast," Larsin snapped, but he hid a smile as he did so. Dytha was one of the few apprentices he'd ever known who was worth talking to. And training. He hadn't been thrilled with the fact that she'd Impressed, albeit accidentally, but he also appreciated the chance to get to know at least one of the Tiny Travelers up close and personal.

"Her wingsail is torn, and she keeps ripping open the stitches. Lasinda told me she has her eyes on a certain blue, and doesn't want any other greens encroaching on her territory." Larsin affectionately rubbed the headknobs of his green wher. "If you could hold it straight, I'm going to try some of this skin-paste the SEFers showed me."

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 7:24 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"Mendl!" Dyha recognised the other Healer and she was given a rare smile. Dytha was genuinely pleased to see her. She'd come to realise just how insulated she had been as a Weyrling. Sure, they had been granted more freedom as they approached their graduation but for the most part, they just seemed to stick with each other. And that was more than a little awkward when a good percentage of your classmates were either avidly talking about their new roles or were still so young they wouldn't be leaving the Weyrling Wing any time soon. She laughed heartily at Mendl's quip. "There's a surprise. Fancy themselves to be these incredible Healers and faint at the first sight of ichor. Bunch of wherryheads." She began to set off towards the back, pausing to shout over her shoulder. "I've not got a huge amount of time but send me your shift schedule - when you're about for it, lets go and get some lunch or something." It was a rare invitation, rarer still for Dytha to offer one so freely. Maybe she could make some of her old acquaintances into something more resembling a friend.

She headed through the Infirmary, approaching the section that Mendl had been referring to. She didn't go directly in, instead calling out. "Master Larsin? Are you free to speak?"

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 9:12 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Mendl looked up from the tinctures she was creating. "Hi Dytha. Long time. Yes, he's in back with a green that was injured last Threadfall." She put down her supplies. "I heard that your group was mostly going back into your crafts, right? I'm glad to see you're back. So far all the apprentices who've come here have left  screaming for the Beastcraft." She giggled. "Wusses."

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:22 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
As much as she had been looking forward to this day, she was also terrified. Oh, Master Larsin had told her when she had impressed that she could come back. But that had been so long ago. Almost three turns and Dytha's sensible head told her that it was entirely likely that he had found a new protege by now.In fact it had been several months since she had been able to see him at all, caught up in the finalisation of her drill training and eventual graduation.

But she had told the Weyrlingmasters she would be returning to her Craft. Now she needed to find out whether that was still even a viable plan. She had checked the schedule and knew that the Master was due to be working that day and she had made sure she was refreshed and smart. Most importantly, she had ensured that she had her ace in the hole. The research project she had worked on detailing the growth rate of the 2nd Pass weyrling dragons. It was a thick and well used journal. She had documented it all. Including her own experiences with Ponth.

It was well into the morning by the time she actually plucked up the courage to head down to the Infimary, going through to the dragon side and looking around for any familiar faces. "Hey, has anyone seen Master Larsin?" she called out, knowing full well that with her luck, he was up to his elbows in dragon guts and far too busy to speak with the likes of her.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.