Re: Real Babies and Healer Babies: Both Are Exhausting Attn Yiyu

Laura Walker

Cremsden was quiet for a moment, considering how best to put thoughts into words.

"Sometimes," he said carefully, "when you've had a period with everything looking terrible with no escape, anyone offering an escape - no matter what it is - looks like what you've always wanted. Some people love being riders," he nodded to the baby "young man's mother for a start, and I certainly have friends who say it's like nothing in the world. But... it's also--" he spread out his hands "*permanant*. And you are very young. So don't rush into anything, and have a think. You're at the Weyr now and escape has already been accomplished. If any one of my apprentices - and I include the young dragonhealers in that - decides Healing full-time is where they want to be, we'll always have space for them. I won't push you into it, there's no point spending your first sevendays here rushing from one solution to another looking for the rest of your life. But while you work for us, it's an option you always have."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 11:04 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"I wasn't sure when I came here that I was worthy of it," she said sincerely. "But the more I'm here, the more people I meet and am welcomed and even befriended by, I find that yes, I want this. And if...."

She took a moment.

"If I don't Impress, then I'll find some other way to be useful to my Weyr, my home."

On Apr 9, 2020, at 5:01 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

Cremsden laughed slightly, and waved a hand. "I don't know who you think you're shocking, kid, but I grew up in Bitra." There was still the telltale accent to his words if you listened to them. "So, searchrider got you, hmm? And is Candidacy what you want?"

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:58 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"Small, no-name hold," she answered quietly. "I suspect, had I not been found and brought here, I'd have been given to some man to use and discard. I mean no offense," she added swiftly.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"That happens," Cremsden acknowledged ruefully. "Big hold, small hold?"

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 10:08 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
His soft crooning lulled Yiyu as well as the babe she held. Her eyes half closed as she began to speak:

"I was born the youngest child and olnly daughter of a holder. He had little use for me, seeing as he saw women as expendable."

OOC: I will give h im more to hear as we move through.
On Apr 9, 2020, at 3:53 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"There now, there." Cremsden knelt in front of her to hand his son over and then sat back onto his feet, keeping a wary eye on proceedings. "Good lad then, you settle there." Unconsciously he slipped into his 'Healer croon', a gentle singsong voice made for soothing the nervous. "Now then," he said, keeping his voice hushed lest Arden panic. "Why don't you tell me about yourself?"

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 9:46 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu pulled over a stool and sat, watching her new mentor and his son with intersted. While she had been the youngest, she was not unfamiliar with babes and knew how to sit and accept the youngster once his protective father released him into her care. he smelled warm and sweet.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 3:41 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Hmm." Cremsden inspected them again. "Good nails. Keep them short like that. Good girl." He smiled at her. "Sit down then and you can give him a cuddle."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 7:02 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
That sensation of being overwhelmed tried to rise up again. Yiyu swallowed it back and moved to comply. She was, if nothing else, thorough and lengthy, presenting him with her hands over half a minute after she'd begun.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 12:56 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Ha, yes, to the sink with you. Lesson 1 of handwashing," Cremsden said, leading her over. "First rule, do it a lot. Start and end of a shift, wash your hands. Before and after eating, wash your hands. Before you go in to see a patient, you wash your hands and again when you're done. Before and after touching medication, wash your hands. We are likely to be the biggest infection risk in any Infirmary. If people worry that they might come to see us with a sprained ankle and go home with everrash they just won't come." He gestured to the sink. "Show me how you do it."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 6:39 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"I bathed this morning," she offered meakly as he examined her hands. "But I could wash them again if there's a basin near by."

On Apr 9, 2020, at 12:36 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Hmm. How clean are your hands?" Cremsden set his mug down and reached to gently take her wrist, the better to examine her hand. Apprentices usually needed a few lessons in washing them properly and when you knew what kinds of things lay around the infirmary.. well, you didn't want some stuff near a baby's face.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 6:21 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu raised a hand. "May I?" She wiggled her fingers as if to touch the babe's face.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 12:10 PM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Arden." Cremsden smiled down at the baby. "Arden who never sleeps. Still, he seems content enough right now."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 6:04 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Her lips twitched, as if she weren't sure if she should smile or frown at him. She chose the former, stepping over towards the outside to observe what he'd told her.

"What's his name?" she asked, tilting her head to the baby who had a strange, wide gaze locked on the world around him.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:51 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"I know the feeling. Healer at my Hold decided I could follow him about a bit when I was small else I doubt I would have made it here." Cremsden waved his mug again, this time towards the door. "There's an outside ledge still out there, but we set a table and chairs on it. *Try* not to get caught up in studying and get sun-burnt because believe me you'll get ribbed endlessly if the other apprentices end up having to treat you. Oh and there's a wall around it. Don't climb on it. Kids don't bounce."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 5:16 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"Books were few and far between at my hold," she found herself explaining. "The ones we had I read veraciously."

She shifted her stance, finally, truely at ease. Her glance ran around the room again, taking in all of it once more.
On Apr 9, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

Cremsden followed her gaze, and laughed quietly. "Aye, the apprentices who stay mostly start by staring at those wide-eyed," he said. "Good news is you'll have plenty of opportunity to read them because we'll expect you to know them backwards, forwards and upside down before you're done."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 5:00 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Her face lit. The room itself was nice, yes, but it was the books that grabbed her attention. Her gaze fixed there, even as she nodded her understanding and offered a small smile before saying, "I see why you are proud of this accomplishment."

On Apr 9, 2020, at 10:35 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Because when I got here it was what *used* to be the weyr for riders with sick dragons but had started to be the place everyone stored their junk," Cremsden explained. "Whereas now.. well, you'll see."

It *was* a nice room. It had desks for studying at and a little cluster of chairs in one corner for when apprentices were watching a demonstration or working on something together. Some of the more comfortable couches looked ready to be converted to cots if the occasion demanded - and sometimes it did. There was a high wall of bookshelves, stacked with books, and a ready supply of ink and paper. Wide windows let in plenty of light and a door suggested access to the outside world.

And of course, there was a klah pot. Of course there was.

"Rule with the books is, look up whatever you want in here if you're using them you make a copy of whatever you're looking up as you're using it," Cremsden said, waving at them with his mug. "Books wear out surprisingly fast if apprentices are checking them constantly and you'll want a copy for your notes anyway. And it doesn't hurt to get quick at copying things out."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:25 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Bemused, Yiyu followed swiftly. Her nerves had settled as they spoke, and now she simply saw him as a figure of authority.

"Why proud?" she inquired.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Come on then." Cremsden gave a jerk of his head to gesture her to follow as he claimed the mug of klah and trotted off. "It's a nice room. I'm rather proud of it myself."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:09 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"No, sir. I'm fairly new, myself."

On Apr 9, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Thank you." Cremsden beamed at her. "And thank you for the klah. Now - did anyone show you the study area yet?"

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu studied the infant critically. She'd found every dragonkind she'd met beautiful, but wasn't sure just what she thought of the little bundle of joy the Healer held. Finally she offered meakly, "He's cute?" as if she weren't sure she had the right answer to the problem facing her.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 7:51 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

“Ten days. Ah. I think?” Cremsden paused  a little doubtfully to consider what day it was. “Yes I came back on night shift three nights ago because there were cookies in the break room,” he said, half to himself, not quite counting on his fingers but close. “So it must be ten.”

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu, inundated with the other's speech, chose to go for what she viewed as the easiest thing to tackle first: pouring the liquid into the mug. She chewed over what he had said as she filled it, then latched onto the next thing that clearly  deserved some attention, even as part of her panicked at the thought of being the one who lost a dragon, that so precious of creatures.

"How old?" she asked, tilting her head at the infant.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 6:39 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Close enough. You'll end up sharing some lessons with those on the human side. Ethics and hygiene fall under similar rules no matter the species of your patient," Cremsden said cheerfully. "And no-one wants you stuck in a position where you lose the dragon because you didn't know basic human first aid and were the only Healer on-scene." He grinned at her, clearly friendly if tired. "I'd normally suggest we go for a quick chat but.. as you have two free hands, would you mind doing me a favour and filling this here mug first? More difficult one-handed than you might think and if I set him down he'll squall the place down."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
She took his hand automatically, now more bemused than afraid. She smiled distractedly at the little one, but found herself admitting, "I'm with the Dragonhealers, actually."

On Apr 9, 2020, at 6:30 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"One of our new apprentices." Cremsden smiled at her, setting his mug - still empty, alas - down, and shifting Arden to his shoulder so he could offer her his hand. "Journeyman Cremsden. Apologies - I'd normally be around to settle you in when you joined us, but this young man has had me at home more than usual."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:25 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"New ones?" Yiyu repeated, startled at first and not a little nervous to find herself addressed by a man. The fact that he was holding a baby made him less threatening in her eyes, but not by much. Still, she assayed a smile and desperately tried to think if she remembered him from anywhere.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 6:02 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

It was probably not the best time for Cremsden to be moving his shifts around. The time before a hatching usually saw an influx of Candidate Apprentices and those didn't work nights. There wasn't much he could do about that other than ask those he trusted to keep an eye on them while he did a rota from afar but he did at least try to make it down to the Infirmary during the day occasionally, even if it was with a tiny baby in tow.

He was trying to juggle said tiny baby while also pouring a klah - ten days or so in to being a father and he was starting to feeling distinctly heavy-eyed - when he spotted a new face. "Hello there," he greeted, stifling a yawn. "You one of our new ones?"