Re: Familiar faces in strange new places. (Tyne/S'ryll)

Nutmeg

She let herself enjoy the feeling of arms around her again for several minutes but the niggle of discomfort reared its head and she moved away after a while, settling herself so that she was still sat close enough to S'ryll that their sides might touch. That same disconcerting feeling again. So familiar and yet so different. And more worrying... not as safe as she needed. No, she wouldn't need to mention that, didn't want to strike and discordance into what was otherwise more pleasant than she might have considered possible. The whisper of difference between them was trying to make itself starkly known and she did what she could to sweep it away. No, she was glad he was here. Was glad that there was a familiar face. She knew she was glad. But she was very aware of the fact, as cruel as it was, that they would never, could never, be what they had been before. Just because S'ryll hadn't mentioned their ambitious talks of future plans didn't mean that she hadn't felt those memories already. He would rise and he would shine - Tyne was absolutely certain of it, but at the same time, painfully aware that it would no longer be together. His world was designed to sweep him to higher, better things. Her world was designed to stay safe and small, with clearly defined boundaries. Her world had become a lot smaller than his own.

It was something of a sobering thought and indeed one that was a little saddening. In a different lifetime, maybe they would have claimed Fort Weyr together. Maybe she would be the Weyrwoman and he her Weyrleader, ready to take on the world together. But, that would never be a possibility. Not anymore. In time, a part her hoped dearly that she would be able to welcome S'ryll into the small inner circle of those within her safety net. Those she considered utterly safe. But most likely, it would be purely as a friend and companion. But before even that, she needed him to understand that the Tyne he had known was all but gone and what remained had been reforged into something shaped entirely differently.

"Oh, I'm sure I won't be commanding anyone. Besides, it was Myrandith most of the time, all she had to do was wiggle her tail at poor Vastolth." She glanced up at the familiar hulking shape. The shadow was familiar and all too instinctively she felt her eyes jump to where she would have expected her gold to be. But she knew that she would not see any familiar golden hide there.

"I'm sure I could be convinced to take you to some of the nicer beaches." There was a tug of lips as she feigned being put out. "If I was asked nicely."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 5:02 PM TrueTricia <tricia.nicewicz@...> wrote:
S'ryll chuckled, "Now why ever would I admit to something as dirty as actually caring?  That's just ridiculous."  She wasn't wrong about him.  When he'd been a jockey, his only motivation had been to be the best so that he wouldn't be a nobody.  It hadn't even been about power, although that was intertwined.  The purses hadn't been bad either.  But it was sometime after flying in his first real Fall that it hit him how important what they did as Riders was, and it was after he saw a rider and dragon devoured by Thread for the first time that he also realized just being 'good enough' was in fact not good enough.  Of course, neither of those thoughts had hit him with that clarity at the time, but rather his attitude shifts could all be traced back to those two initial incidents.

As she swooned against him, he wrapped his arms around her laughing.  "Only twenty?  We'll probably need our own Weyr by the time they're all older.  Could probably have our own wing at least!  Guess that's one way to become wingleader.  Not exactly what I had in mind, but oh the sacrifices" he chuckled, teasing her.  "But you always did strike an impression at a Gather in a pretty dress.  Probably still do," he said, complimenting her.  He kept his arms around her as an invitation to stay, but she could pull away at any time.

He listened as she listed off the fun things, hearing in her voice that wistfulness.  It was something he now took for granted, the ability to go wherever he wanted when he chose to so do.  And something while at the Reaches, he hadn't used as often as he should have.  Perhaps he'd been more homebound and hidebound than he thought.  "WE'LL be okay," he emphasized the plural to her.  "Come on now, Tyne.  You're still the woman that can command my bronze with just her voice and strength of will.  Those places you'll have to show me.  It's more fun exploring with a friend than by yourself.  We can make it a goal, for a new trip a sevenday or something, time permitting."

Florcott on AIM.