Re: Real Babies and Healer Babies: Both Are Exhausting Attn Yiyu

Jessica Freise

Bemused, Yiyu followed swiftly. Her nerves had settled as they spoke, and now she simply saw him as a figure of authority.

"Why proud?" she inquired.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Come on then." Cremsden gave a jerk of his head to gesture her to follow as he claimed the mug of klah and trotted off. "It's a nice room. I'm rather proud of it myself."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:09 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"No, sir. I'm fairly new, myself."

On Apr 9, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Thank you." Cremsden beamed at her. "And thank you for the klah. Now - did anyone show you the study area yet?"

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu studied the infant critically. She'd found every dragonkind she'd met beautiful, but wasn't sure just what she thought of the little bundle of joy the Healer held. Finally she offered meakly, "He's cute?" as if she weren't sure she had the right answer to the problem facing her.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 7:51 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

“Ten days. Ah. I think?” Cremsden paused  a little doubtfully to consider what day it was. “Yes I came back on night shift three nights ago because there were cookies in the break room,” he said, half to himself, not quite counting on his fingers but close. “So it must be ten.”

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu, inundated with the other's speech, chose to go for what she viewed as the easiest thing to tackle first: pouring the liquid into the mug. She chewed over what he had said as she filled it, then latched onto the next thing that clearly  deserved some attention, even as part of her panicked at the thought of being the one who lost a dragon, that so precious of creatures.

"How old?" she asked, tilting her head at the infant.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 6:39 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"Close enough. You'll end up sharing some lessons with those on the human side. Ethics and hygiene fall under similar rules no matter the species of your patient," Cremsden said cheerfully. "And no-one wants you stuck in a position where you lose the dragon because you didn't know basic human first aid and were the only Healer on-scene." He grinned at her, clearly friendly if tired. "I'd normally suggest we go for a quick chat but.. as you have two free hands, would you mind doing me a favour and filling this here mug first? More difficult one-handed than you might think and if I set him down he'll squall the place down."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
She took his hand automatically, now more bemused than afraid. She smiled distractedly at the little one, but found herself admitting, "I'm with the Dragonhealers, actually."

On Apr 9, 2020, at 6:30 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

"One of our new apprentices." Cremsden smiled at her, setting his mug - still empty, alas - down, and shifting Arden to his shoulder so he could offer her his hand. "Journeyman Cremsden. Apologies - I'd normally be around to settle you in when you joined us, but this young man has had me at home more than usual."

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:25 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"New ones?" Yiyu repeated, startled at first and not a little nervous to find herself addressed by a man. The fact that he was holding a baby made him less threatening in her eyes, but not by much. Still, she assayed a smile and desperately tried to think if she remembered him from anywhere.

On Apr 9, 2020, at 6:02 AM, Laura Walker <shewhoguards@...> wrote:

It was probably not the best time for Cremsden to be moving his shifts around. The time before a hatching usually saw an influx of Candidate Apprentices and those didn't work nights. There wasn't much he could do about that other than ask those he trusted to keep an eye on them while he did a rota from afar but he did at least try to make it down to the Infirmary during the day occasionally, even if it was with a tiny baby in tow.

He was trying to juggle said tiny baby while also pouring a klah - ten days or so in to being a father and he was starting to feeling distinctly heavy-eyed - when he spotted a new face. "Hello there," he greeted, stifling a yawn. "You one of our new ones?"