Re: We Have to Stick Together (Ay'shen/Ambrelli)

Aaron

"Well, I haven't been all by myself. I've had Ohselth. And I've been allowed to go out and do as I please as much as any rider for a while now. My wingmates haven't fed me to Thread yet." Ay'shen grinned softly. "It's been a rough little while. And maybe if I'd tried harder to make friends... I just haven't felt much like I've deserved a friend."

"Have you been by yourself?"

***

She listened to him describe being homelessness.  "I'm back here, but this isn't the home I left.  I don't know what I expected, but I felt like I was hiding at Igen.  Arolos is where my parents loved me, where I grew up.  But most importantly, it's the last place I can be truly proud of who I was.  I think coming back here was about confronting the difference between who I used to be and who I am now."

She looked at him.  "How have you survived by yourself this whole time?"  The strength of character that took...she didn't have that.