Re: Now I have ALL the friends! (Tyne/R'zzon)

Nutmeg

If Tyne had been able to glimpse into R'zzon's thoughts, she would have been floored that the Bluerider had been having those considerations. That he wanted to think of her in that way. A little piece of her had begun to believe that no one ever would. That she would always be thought too broken, too fragile. To have known that someone might want her. Now there was a thread of shining possibility.

The arm belonging to the hand in her own was hugged tightly, bringing the hand up to rest it against her cheek as she pressed against it. "I feel safe when you're here. Calm. Like you're sunshine coming through the black clouds. I don't feel... so adrift. Like I'm being kept on the ground again. And I don't know if I would have found that if not for you." Her eyes sparkled, filled with sudden and impromptu tears, but the expression on her face showed that they weren't of sadness. "If not for you... for Idri... I have so much to thank you both for. And when I'm able, I want to be able to... to show I'm grateful. So grateful that I... I can't even put it properly into words. You gave me a chance. When... when I wouldn't have. Not then. And you've been so kind. And... I wouldn't have been." It was becoming apparent that this was a major source of conflict for her. That she had experienced kindness from the people who, only a handful of turns before, she would have turned her nose up at. And she knew she wasn't that person anymore in more ways that not just having a golden status symbol standing behind her. She was someone entirely new. But with the ghosts of the past whispering in the back of her thoughts, it was hard not to make the comparison.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 1:19 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
He was getting used to these changes between child-like Tyne and adult-Tyne. He liked them both, but there were days that he wondered if adult-Tyne would be adult long enough for an adult relationship. But he wasn't going to push that. If they were going to stay in the friend zone, they would. Because she deserved someone who understood her, or at least tried to understand her.

Gently he held took her hand. "Thank you. I do enjoy our time together; probably because I never know what's going to happen." He smiled. "It's always an adventure with you."

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 2:19 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"Afraid makes sense. I'm the living breathing evidence of the very worst thing a Rider could dare to imagine - and doesn't dare to most of the time. And having someone like me pop up when least expected is like having a crawler thrown at you in the dark." It was a very solemn, albeit sensible analogy. As much as it hurt to see the fear, she understood why it was there. Even if she wished she didn't. And wished that they were looking at someone else instead.

Carefully setting the little green back into her basket-nest, the creature burrowed herself down into the blanket, cheeping delightedly at the sudden comfort and several of her faire-siblings immediately huddled close, sharing each others warmth. Absently, Tyne wondered if there would be a way to keep the basket warm but tucked the thought away - that was an idea to take home and think on.

She turned to R'zzon, her expression soft as she leaned toward him to gently sweep his hair from his eyes. "I will keep the very best for you. Because it's the least I can do for everything you have done for me."

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 12:15 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
R'zzon raised his brows--only slightly, but he knew Tyne would see it. It was rare that she would talk about herself and her...status. But he'd long-since gotten over being uncomfortable around her. She used to be a rider, one who would probably have never given him a second glance (even though some women thought him glance-worthy, but the ones who she did pay attention to only wanted her for her gold.

And the power that could bring.

But the point was moot now. And he considered himself lucky to be around her.

"You say that as if I should think you're a problem," he said softly. "I'll admit that when I first met you I was a little...afraid, I guess. But I'm glad I got to know you, and you've never been a problem in my opinion."  She was much easier to talk to than some of the self-important riders in his wing.

"Maybe," he started off almost shyly, "Maybe when Bobbin rises, she'll let me have one of her eggs?" And if by some weird chance Tyne Impressed that one too, it wouldn't be a hardship.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:15 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Tyne was enjoying the closeness of someone else, someone in her tiny circle that made her feel safe. "I wanted you to see them. I don't think Idri knows what to do with me now, though. But...." Her voice trailed away and she looked sheepish, almost a little guilty. "... They're talking about letting me live alone again. Be more independent." It was a massive step and part of her was convinced it couldn't possibly be a good idea whilst another part of her was positively swooning at the idea. Her own time. Her own space. Yes, she adored Idri - considering the woman family, not a minder. But she couldn't help but wish she was entirely considered a functional adult again.

Zeeti was delighted by the attention, letting out a rumbling croon that was akin to a purr as she rubbed her head against R'zzon's fingers. The blue in question, soon to be known as "Song", one half of the mischievous pair made up by his brother, the equally naughty "Dance" had indeed settled himself back to sleep whilst another blue and two greens snuggled up closer, yawning and stretching like kittens in a basket. Cairn took a sniff and hopped away, clearly not too entirely impressed. Bobbin on the other hand, crawled into the basket and curled herself up around the tiny bodies, looking for all the world like a tiny gold dragon in the immediate aftermath of a hatching. Tyne was clearly delighted, stooping to kiss the top of Bobbin's head fondly. Fortunately, Myandith hadn't been quite so maternal with her clutches, glad to be rid of them so she could get back to her court of admirers as soon as possible and hating having been confined to the Hatching Sands instead of being on full view for all to admire. It was the difference like this that grounded her, stopping her mind trying to turn the tiny gold into a gold that... didn't exist anymore.

"I think you'd do marvellously with a little flit. Maybe an adorable little green or a reliable, chunky brown. You've got all the patience they need. I mean... if you can be patient with me, a flit would be no problem at all." She smiled sheepishly up at him, clearly unsure whether it was okay that, likely for the very first time, she had made light of the terrible situation which they had found themselves.

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 2:41 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
R'zzon reached out a finger and rubbed Zeeti's head. "If I ever get a firelizard, I'd want them to be like this one. She's going to be a beauty when she grows up." He looked in the basket at the firelizards settling back down to sleep. "That blue is going to be trouble, though. If you, Cairn and Bobbin were able to get him to go back to sleep, he wasn't hungry. So he did that just to be a brat."

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 7:04 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Tyne covered the hand on her arm with her own, much smaller one, her slim fingers threading easily through his own and she smiled up at him - a warm, genuine smile that made her often so dark and sad eyes sparkle brightly. "I knew you'd understand." I was so hard to put it into words that someone could follow because it was so hard to understand in her own mind as well. How did you put into words something that every core of your being said was wrong and unnatural so that someone else could make sense of it? She rested her head against his arm for a moment, enjoying the warmth coming through his sleeve.

The moment was disrupted by the head of tiny blue sticking his head out of the blanket with a loud and bewildered squawk. The others followed suit and started shouting angrily for the reason for their disruption. "Oh hush, shush now babies," Tyne cooed, pulling her hand away to lean into the basket. Bobbin contributed too, leaning in and warbling at the shouting hatchlings. They were safe and could go back to sleep, sleep was good, they needed lots of sleep. Safety and comfort and the need to sleep was the overarching emotions being pushed at the disturbed firelizards and several of them quietened, watching their observers with whirling eyes. "Not all, I have named some!" Tyne pointed at a brown who was watching them suspiciously. "Like him, he's Chief. He listens a lot, especially to Cairn. I think he's going to be the Wingsecond." She held up the tiny green who was still clinging to her free hand, the green squealed and chirruped and Tyne nuzzled her fondly, the green butting against her chin with her own tiny head. "And this is Zeeti. She's an absolute sweetheart. I can tell she's going to be a cuddlebug."

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 9:08 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
R'zzon hoped he would never, ever have to experience what Tyne was going through. But he could be there for her. And he could at least try to understand.

"I'm glad you have them," he said. "I'm glad you can get some relief from the silence." He didn't hug her, as he was never sure if hugging would frighten her. But he did put a hand on her arm, and bent over to look at the basket of firelizards.

"I love their colors," he said. "Have you named them all yet?"

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:13 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
She waited silently whilst he thought, aware that he seemed to be processing what she said and thinking very carefully about what he was going to say next. It was one of the things she appreciated about him. He was careful and considerate, not overly impulsive or reckless. It was safe. And she liked safe. As he spoke, she nodded with eager encouragement, elated that he was in a way, on the right track.

"The space that is Myrandith. Will always be Myrandith, even if she isn't there anymore is... is like looking into a gaping chasm. You can't see the bottom. It goes on forever..." She paused, waving her hands awkwardly and carefully scooping up a tiny green that was trying to escape her basket nest and gently smoothed her light green hide. "And the silence is the loudest noise you can possibly imagine. But it's silence. But it's so loud all at the same time and you can't... you can't stop yourself standing on the edge, looking for the bottom, waiting for the sound that's meant to be there."

Tyne let out a sudden hiccup as the familiar swell of emotion made her chest ache and a lump form in her throat. "But they," And she gestured at Bobbin who creeled softly at her and Cairn, watching her intently. "...When they're there, I can see glimpses of colour inside that chasm. Can feel whispers of voices that break the silence down just enough. Just so it's bearable. When they're all there. All the others, even the ones that aren't mine, the colours are more vibrant and their voices are... are..." She fumbled for the word she was looking for. "... They're like listening to a sea shell and hearing the sea. It's a constant rush of smaller, simpler voices."

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:57 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
R'zzon stood there and listened. He thought about the Panagath-shaped place in his mind, filled with everything that was Panagath, and nothing else.

{{And why would there be something in my space?}} Panagath asked, albeit softly.

If Panagath were gone, he'd just absolutely die. But if he wasn't allowed to...he didn't have his own firelizard, but he supposed that having something in his mind...

"I think I understand. The noise and chatter of your firelizards covers Myrandith's silence. Or, maybe not covers," he says thoughtfully, "softens it." It meant a lot to him that he got this right. He tried to understand Tyne, because she needed someone to understand. Not just say they understood, but to really be able to emphathize.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 5:15 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"No," Tyne said matter of factly, breaking from her role of adoring mother wherry to look up at R'zzon. "I have ten. Aaru belongs to Bobbin. She only listens to me because I can hear her. And because Bobbin tells her to." That she was now the owner of an absurd amount of firelizards didn't register as anything other than absolute bliss. "I can hear all of them, together..." she babbled happily. "... They're making the space smaller. Myrandith's space. Oh, R'zzon..." Tyne signed dreamily, letting herself indulge in the feelings filling her mind as though it were a warm blanket on the coldest of winters. "... I can't explain it, I can't."

The giddy childishness was slipping away slightly, replaced by the more lucid tones that Tyne had been beginning to display more and more of late. "... My head," she went on to explain. "... It's not so quiet. So empty. Like there's patches of colour and emotion that are just covering the space. It's still her shape... her shadow. But it's like part of it is being filled...." Tyne paused, frowning. "... No," she said suddenly, a stern note to her voice. "... not filled in. She's always there underneath. It's... like a blanket. A blanket of noise that's the right kind of noise." It was so hard to explain and she wrung her hands slightly as consternation flickered over her face. She struggled to understand it herself because she could always feel her gold there. Could always feel how Myrandith's presence was meant to be there. But the tiny flashes of emotion and image without a defined, individual voice... they were a patchwork blanket of comforting similarity without attempting to replace or forget the individual that had been there first.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 12:05 AM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
Nine firelizards? R'zzon boggled. Which gave her..,"You have eleven firelizards now?" How could she handle that? But, looking at the sheer happiness on her face, maybe it was a good thing. She seemed less haunted than she had been.

"So, where did they come from?" he asked. "I haven't seen you in a few days, so this had to have happened recently."  He ran his fingers through his hair. What did one say to someone who just Impressed nine more firelizards?

{{Congratulations is a good start.}}

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 12:01 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Her expression took on a mischievous bent as she gently pulled back the blanket some more. A blanket that had begun to rustle and move of its own accord. "All of them." she beamed as one by one, the tiny and yawning heads of baby firelizards began to pop up between the folds like springs popping out of a mattress. Three... four... five... six... seven.. eight...nine.

Tyne looked nothing but proud of herself and Bobbin stuck her head into the top of the basket, whistling softly at the sleepy babies, a bizarre echo of the way in which Tyne cooed and fussed over her little brood.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 4:08 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"What the..." R'zzon looked at the two babies she showed him. Two baby firelizards. "So you Impressed a couple more firelizards?" he said in confusion. But they were so close together. And it was such a large basket...

Suddenly he was wide awake.  "How many friends did you make?" he asked. Panagath was chuckling in the background. R'zzon had the feeling that if Panagath were human, he'd be rolling on the floor right now.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 9:57 AM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
"Friends!" she proclaimed again. "You need to wake up some more. You're not making full sentences." Of course, she hadn't known that the poor man had probably only had a mere handful of hours of sleep. She reverently pored over the basket, cooing at it slightly. "I made lots of friends yesterday. At the beach! And they're Bobbin and Cairn's friends too!" Never mind that Cairn wasn't entirely sure about how he felt about the new little interlopers, Bobbin was positively infatuated, no doubt her own maternal streak as a gold feeding from Tyne's own adoration.

She reached for R'zzon's arm, pulling at his sleeve to pull him closer to the table. "You need to be quiet, you'll scare them. They're sleeping." The words were punctuated by barely contained giggles as she eased the lid of the basket halfway off. "Wakey wakey" she cooed into the basket, pulling the folds of a blanket aside to reveal two tiny firelizards, one brown and one green, fast asleep and their bellies distended from their recent breakfast.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 1:27 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
"Friends?" R'zzon's sleep muddled mind could barely keep up with Tyne's exuberance. His eyes fell upon the basket, but he didn't see what was in it. The way Cairn and Bobbin were hovering around the basket was some type of clue. Something important in the basket. He struggled with connecting the dots.

Cairn and Bobbin were firelizards. Firelizards were small dragons. Dragons were always wanting to eat. Therefore, the basket must have food in it. He nodded, pleased with himself that he'd been able to think rationally.

{{Firelizards are not small dragons, thank you very much,}} Panagath said. {{I'm insulted that you would ever think that.}}

R'zzon ignored him.

"But haven't Bobbin and Cairn always been your friends?" he asked her.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 4:28 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
Tyne was beaming so widely that one wrong move would probably split her face from ear to ear as R'zzon opened his door and bleared at her. Somewhere through the waves of sated sleep and overwhelming glee, she noted his barely awake face.

"Wake up sleepy! I brought my new friends to meet you!"

Brandishing the basket high, she jostled past him into his weyr, practically bouncing with ever step. Like arrows from a bow, Bobbin and Cairn shot after her, settling on the table that Tyne gently set her basket on and huddling around it. It was clear that both flits were on high alert, heads twitching every which way as though assessing the entire room for any possible dangers.

"I made friends! All on my own!" And she was so achingly pleased about that fact. It radiated from her as she puffed up her slim frame and an innocence seemed to ripple from her. It wasn't the strange, childlike Tyne she had been, rather, it was the image of someone who was surrounded by a bubble of innocent naivety. A bubble that kept all of the bad things away. Besides, she was so giddy with all the new noise in her head that it made her feel drunk and the feeling of sated baby flits in her head made her feel heavy and clumsy like she was wading through water. It was delightful. Feelings in a way that she hadn't thought she would remotely feel every again. Patching up the Myrandith space. Not forgetting it. Just making it more bearable. Draping it with brightly coloured flags that made the hole seem a little smaller. Keeping Myrandith sacred. Just... easier to bear.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 8:00 PM Laurie <Laurie.Lynne@...> wrote:
R'zzon had been on late watch, and had fallen into bed in the early hours of the morning. Therefore, he didn't at first hear the persistent knocking.

{{Hey, boyo, your girlfriend's here,}} an amused Panagath said, waking him up from a sound sleep. He wasn't sure what he'd been dreaming about, but whatever it was, he'd liked it. and wanted more.

[[My what?]] he sleepily asked.

{{The no-longer-goldrider you've been around a log.}}

Tyne? First he bolted up from bed, then realized that if something had happened, Idri would be there and not Tyne herself. "Hang on," he called out, quickly donning a semi-clean shirt and pants. Barefoot he padded over to his door.

"Hi," he said, almost tongue-tied. He didn't see anything untoward at first so he motioned her in. "Come on in. Is everything alright?"

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 1:36 PM Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:
OoC: Fuzzied back approximately 2 months and set the day after Tyne finds her brood.

IC: When she had turned up back at home, beaming with rapturous happiness, Idri hadn't know whether to laugh, cry, shout or all of the above. As Tyne had waded into their living quarters, baby firelizards hanging off almost every inch of her (or so it had seemed), the poor Healer had spent the next hour trying to figure out two things, one - what in the wide world had happened and two - had her charge found a nest that didn't belong to her and they were about to get a very angry owner banging on the door.

The story had come out, coaxed between Tyne's distracted thoughts and copious giggles as she bathed and oiled each and every one of her new charges, wrapped in the wonderful cacophony of emotion that flooded her mind and Myrandith's empty space. The sun was barely sunk below the Rim before Idri had found the dragonless woman fast asleep on the couch, exhausted by her day's adventure and snoring lightly.

She had been left there until late into the following morning when Tyne had awoken to the sensation of hunger. Hers and that of nine others. Idri had abandoned her to go to a shift and truth be told, had needed to run away in order to figure out what she was going to do with Tyne. Tyne hadn't cared. No one had told her off and she was so enveloped in new sensations that she drifted along in a bubble of delirious happiness as she spent a blissful two hours tending to her new flock.

There was someone else that she was itching to tell as well. She had tried to make her new friends cling to her like they had yesterday but now, fat and sated they were lazy and snoring. With a "hmph!" she had found something even better, one of the baskets Idri used to organise their laundry. Each little body was tucked into its own nest of a blanket and the basket scooped up as Tyne scampered down the tunnels, trying not to bounce her previous cargo too much. Bobbin and Cairn flew over her, the gold fiercely watching for predators. Her maternal streak had kicked off and then some as Tyne made her way to a familiar door and began rapping on it loudly and persistently.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.