Re: Hungry Eyes (ATTN: Tyne)

Nutmeg

It was clear that Tyne was more than familiar with these tunnels, scampering over the obstacles with practised ease - as sure footed as a mountain goat. "It's okay." she called over her shoulder as she went. "... Aaru impressed to Bobbin. She's a bit of an odd one. She isn't like some flits that like lots of fuss. She just comes to look." Scampering away at dizzying speed, she led them through the maze but eventually, natural light began filtering down the darkened tunnels. The end was in sight.

"This way!"

Enjoying the game, that was not a game but as far as Tyne was concerned, it absolutely was, she burst out of the tunnel that brought them out on a wide ledge a few levels below the Rim. She didn't really go to the Rim much anymore. It was a dragon place. And a dragonrider place. And since she was neither of those things now, she wasn't sure she was allowed up there. "This is one of my favourite spots! Hardly anyone is ever here."

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:11 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"It's nice to," Yiyu swiftly followed her, dodging around boxes and baskets and bundles deftly, "you, Tyne. I'm sorry for startling your little green, I should have asked before trying to touch."

On Mar 26, 2020, at 12:04 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Oblivious to the dilemma in Yiyu's head, all that Tyne picked up was that she'd said yes. It didn't matter that the girl was at least ten years her junior, her brain had just heard "yes". And Idri thought she couldn't make friends on her own. The uplift in Tyne was reflected in the flock around her, a sudden ripple of excited chattering between all the flits.

"We'll go this way!" Tyne announced before turning and darting back off up the tunnel in the direction she'd come. They'd go the scenic route and then some, including through some tunnels that perhaps weren't meant to  be used by people anymore, semi filled with boxes and baskets. But Tyne knew exactly where she was going to go. As if on cue, the flits began popping out of existence, winking between so that the only two left were Bobbin and Cairn, clinging to Tyne as she scampered away.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:47 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu's head spun. The names, the colors, the woman herself were all overwhelming. But she grasped onto the invitation and mentally ocused. She could do this.

"I'd love to," she said, unable to resist the strange older woman's suddenly open mannerism. She stepped frward and offered meakly to take the basket.

On Mar 26, 2020, at 11:44 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Unfortunately for Yiyu, Aaru was possibly not best firelizard to approach and she snapped at the outstretched fingers, clearly not intended to bite but clearly as a warning to back up. Admonished for her behaviour with a loud chitter from Bobbin, the small green scuttled higher, a little away from the crowd.

"Ignore her. She's just an oddball. Plus she impressed to Bobbin so she's not super bothered about people.Think of her like a grumpy feline - it's all on her terms." It was the simplest way she had found to explain the unusual Aaru's behaviour. Turning her back temporarily on Yiyu, Tyne inspected the gathering, clearly  not stopping to think a second about how the girl would have felt about Aaru's warning. Not out of wilful ignorance or not caring, it had just skipped her.

"Lets see, gang - introduce yourselves!" It was clearly something she had done before.

"Chief!" A brown perked up his head from the wall, warbling towards Tyne.

"Tubber!" Another brown, this one definitely more round.

"Song and Dance!" Two blues chimed in, chirruping happily from where they were perched together.

"Breeks!" Another blue, this time looking as though he were wearing a pair of blue trousers answered with a solemn nod before scuttling off after Aaru.

"Fitz and Bitz!" Two identical looking greens piped up, tiny bugles from the wall.

"Rona!" A dark flit clambered forward only to  be shooed away by Tyne. "No, your're not stealing anything from her. Or throwing anything!" She looked back at Yiyu. "She's the one to watch - pure mischief and a dollop of spite. You've met Zeeti, she loves everyone," Tyne said gesturing to the small green who had flown around Yiyu's head. "And last but certainly not least Cairn and Bobbin" - she jostled a shoulder up to indicate which was which. Cairn rewarded Yiyu with a long gaze and a solemn chirp. Bobbin decided to  be gracious as the newcomer had called her beautiful and warbled sweetly at Yiyu, posing a little to show off her good side.

"And that's all of them. Except me, I'm Tyne." And she jerked her thumb back towards herself with a cheerful, innocent pride. "We were getting breakfast." The conversation distraction of who her flock was had lifted her thoughts into another focus. "Hey!" she suddenly said, facing Yiyu and picking up the basket she had almost forgotten about. "You should have breakfast with us!" There was a beaming, innocent hopefulness in her face, like a child asking their best friend to come to tea.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 1:58 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"What are all there names?" she asked, fascinated. She carefully stepped forward and extended a hand to the tiny, silent green, hoping she wasn't being to forward.

On Mar 26, 2020, at 3:01 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

As if in answer to Yiyu's question, and on the silent call of Bobbin, the entire flock gravitated back to Tyne. "Yes," she said simply in an almost matter of fact tone. Once upon a time she would have been too scared to admit of such, terrified of getting in trouble. But Tyne thought little of trouble these days, her uncomplicated train of merely noting that flits helped, therefore she had found flits and it was too late for anyone to get cross about it. "Well, accept Aaru," she said, gesturing to a small, silent green who had found a notched bit of wood to cling to. "She belongs to Bobbin. She was meant for Idri, but Bobbin wanted her."

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"Thank you," Yiyu said politely, her gaze following the little green's graceful movements."Are these all yours?"

On Mar 25, 2020, at 9:09 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Bobbin preened a little. She knew the "b" word. Of course she was beautiful. The smugness trickled into Tyne, bolstering her a little and she relaxed slightly, also helped by Yiyu's smile.

"Your smile is pretty," she said with all the blunt honesty of a child and Cairn chirruped his agreement. Along the walls, the firelizards scuttled closer, trilling and peeping as they approached. It was Zeeti who broke ranks first, the pretty little green twirling around Yiyu's head as if inspecting her.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:45 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"No, Lady, they aren't scaring me," she said. That real, honest smile, that was peaking out more and more the longer she was at the Weyr, graced Yiyu's lips briefly before slipping away.

"They're beautiful," she found herself repeating. The woman looked odd, spooked, almost. By her? Surely not.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:34 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Ironically, it was the timidness radiating from the girl that kept the situation calm. Had she been met with confidence, outright confusion or worse... anger or disgust, it likely would have been enough to tip her over. But the shyness wasn't a threat. The glimmer of "Goldrider" Tyne disappeared again. "...'m sorry." she managed eventually, rubbing her eyes again to try and shift the cobwebs that clouded her visions when she was off-kilter like her eyes were trying to put her in two places at once. Like her brain was trying desperately hard to believe it was in another time, another place. "I don't usually find people here." There was a worried note to her voice now and an edge of confusion.

She heard the word firelizard and she used it to force her attention back. "They're not scaring you are they? I can send some away if it's too much." Bring it back. Back under control. Back into place. She could do it.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:13 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu blushed, wondering if she were in trouble. Her hands came out and clasped in front of her, her back straightening as she said quietly, "I just finished dinner and was headed back to the barracks, but I thought you might need help, lady. That, and the firelizards honestly distracted me."

She couldn't quite meet Tyne's gaze. Her own skittered away, her enate timidness flaring up to meet even the hint of a strongly worded question.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:03 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Candidate? Ah... Candidate. The familiar word broke through slightly and Tyne shook her head slightly as though trying to shake her thoughts together. "Shouldn't you be in the Barracks? Or lessons?" That's what Candidates did. Lessons. She had done lessons. Albeit many turns ago. Still on alert, Bobbin and Cairn had leapt into action, thrumming a low croon that was quickly echoed by the others so that the tunnel seemed to vibrate with the sound of crooning flits.

All of the group worked together, creeping closer like crawlers on a wall, twelve sets of eyes all watching Yiyu carefully. Kneading her eyes, Tyne's taut posture relaxed a little, the soft reassurance in her head settling her slightly. For a moment, the gaping hole of Myrandith had been threatening to loom large but the immediate proximity - both physically and mentally - of the firelizards had eked it away again. For the moment, she hadn't quite registered either the girl's name or the compliment to her brood.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:42 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"Y-yiyu, lady," she answered quietly, unassumingly. Much like she had with the whers, she slowly extended one hand to the scared-looking older woman, licking her lips nervously. "I'm a Candidate here. Your firelizards are beautiful," she added, unable to resist her own fascination with all creatures great and small.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

It... hadn't been a great day. No, not "bad" in the way Tyne knew "bad" could be but it had been one of those days where she had felt perilously close to that precipitous edge she knew far too well. She had spent most of the day in hiding in her quarters, practising her breathing techniques and grounding herself. It had been an activity that cost her most of the day and had been disturbed when she realised she hadn't eaten anything since the evening of the day before. Anything earlier in the day would undoubtedly have been returned by anxious retching but now, feeling a bit more in balance again, she decided that she needed to do two things - stretch her legs a little and find some food.

She had followed some of the more awkward and therefore lesser used tunnels to the Lower Caverns. It took longer, but the walk was used as another means to ground herself. When she had approached, she had sent Bobbin in, small note strapped to her leg. The gold knew exactly which staffer to head to. No, she wasn't sure she could deal with the bustle of the Dining Hall itself. Unfortunately, the wobble in Tyne's emotional state meant that her brood was feeling especially clingy. Whilst Bobbin and Cairn had had the places of honour on her shoulders, the others had been a train of colour that winked in and out of Between as they kept up, clinging to walls, glow baskets and supporting beams as they stayed close.

The gold had just returned with a small basket in tow, immediately resuming her sentinel post as the basket was plopped gently at Tyne's feet. She had just picked it up when she heard the voice and she started, freezing in place and causing the flock to bristle in alarm at the spike of alert that rushed through Tyne.

"Who're you? Why are you here?" On another day, the voice might have been more demanding. Today it was edged with panic, as though she were caught doing something she shouldn't be doing.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:00 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu stepped out of the lower caverns and instantly paused. Like a wild runner caught in lamplight, she stilled, aware of eyes on her. Slowly turning, she saw...firelizards. A great many, in fact, but it was the woman who caught her attention with wide, dark eyes that stared through, not passed, her.

"May I..help...you, lady?"

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.