Re: Hungry Eyes (ATTN: Tyne)

Jessica Freise

"What are all there names?" she asked, fascinated. She carefully stepped forward and extended a hand to the tiny, silent green, hoping she wasn't being to forward.

On Mar 26, 2020, at 3:01 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

As if in answer to Yiyu's question, and on the silent call of Bobbin, the entire flock gravitated back to Tyne. "Yes," she said simply in an almost matter of fact tone. Once upon a time she would have been too scared to admit of such, terrified of getting in trouble. But Tyne thought little of trouble these days, her uncomplicated train of merely noting that flits helped, therefore she had found flits and it was too late for anyone to get cross about it. "Well, accept Aaru," she said, gesturing to a small, silent green who had found a notched bit of wood to cling to. "She belongs to Bobbin. She was meant for Idri, but Bobbin wanted her."

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"Thank you," Yiyu said politely, her gaze following the little green's graceful movements."Are these all yours?"

On Mar 25, 2020, at 9:09 AM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Bobbin preened a little. She knew the "b" word. Of course she was beautiful. The smugness trickled into Tyne, bolstering her a little and she relaxed slightly, also helped by Yiyu's smile.

"Your smile is pretty," she said with all the blunt honesty of a child and Cairn chirruped his agreement. Along the walls, the firelizards scuttled closer, trilling and peeping as they approached. It was Zeeti who broke ranks first, the pretty little green twirling around Yiyu's head as if inspecting her.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:45 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"No, Lady, they aren't scaring me," she said. That real, honest smile, that was peaking out more and more the longer she was at the Weyr, graced Yiyu's lips briefly before slipping away.

"They're beautiful," she found herself repeating. The woman looked odd, spooked, almost. By her? Surely not.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:34 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Ironically, it was the timidness radiating from the girl that kept the situation calm. Had she been met with confidence, outright confusion or worse... anger or disgust, it likely would have been enough to tip her over. But the shyness wasn't a threat. The glimmer of "Goldrider" Tyne disappeared again. "...'m sorry." she managed eventually, rubbing her eyes again to try and shift the cobwebs that clouded her visions when she was off-kilter like her eyes were trying to put her in two places at once. Like her brain was trying desperately hard to believe it was in another time, another place. "I don't usually find people here." There was a worried note to her voice now and an edge of confusion.

She heard the word firelizard and she used it to force her attention back. "They're not scaring you are they? I can send some away if it's too much." Bring it back. Back under control. Back into place. She could do it.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:13 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu blushed, wondering if she were in trouble. Her hands came out and clasped in front of her, her back straightening as she said quietly, "I just finished dinner and was headed back to the barracks, but I thought you might need help, lady. That, and the firelizards honestly distracted me."

She couldn't quite meet Tyne's gaze. Her own skittered away, her enate timidness flaring up to meet even the hint of a strongly worded question.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 5:03 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

Candidate? Ah... Candidate. The familiar word broke through slightly and Tyne shook her head slightly as though trying to shake her thoughts together. "Shouldn't you be in the Barracks? Or lessons?" That's what Candidates did. Lessons. She had done lessons. Albeit many turns ago. Still on alert, Bobbin and Cairn had leapt into action, thrumming a low croon that was quickly echoed by the others so that the tunnel seemed to vibrate with the sound of crooning flits.

All of the group worked together, creeping closer like crawlers on a wall, twelve sets of eyes all watching Yiyu carefully. Kneading her eyes, Tyne's taut posture relaxed a little, the soft reassurance in her head settling her slightly. For a moment, the gaping hole of Myrandith had been threatening to loom large but the immediate proximity - both physically and mentally - of the firelizards had eked it away again. For the moment, she hadn't quite registered either the girl's name or the compliment to her brood.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:42 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
"Y-yiyu, lady," she answered quietly, unassumingly. Much like she had with the whers, she slowly extended one hand to the scared-looking older woman, licking her lips nervously. "I'm a Candidate here. Your firelizards are beautiful," she added, unable to resist her own fascination with all creatures great and small.

On Mar 24, 2020, at 4:29 PM, Nutmeg <nutmeg.witch@...> wrote:

It... hadn't been a great day. No, not "bad" in the way Tyne knew "bad" could be but it had been one of those days where she had felt perilously close to that precipitous edge she knew far too well. She had spent most of the day in hiding in her quarters, practising her breathing techniques and grounding herself. It had been an activity that cost her most of the day and had been disturbed when she realised she hadn't eaten anything since the evening of the day before. Anything earlier in the day would undoubtedly have been returned by anxious retching but now, feeling a bit more in balance again, she decided that she needed to do two things - stretch her legs a little and find some food.

She had followed some of the more awkward and therefore lesser used tunnels to the Lower Caverns. It took longer, but the walk was used as another means to ground herself. When she had approached, she had sent Bobbin in, small note strapped to her leg. The gold knew exactly which staffer to head to. No, she wasn't sure she could deal with the bustle of the Dining Hall itself. Unfortunately, the wobble in Tyne's emotional state meant that her brood was feeling especially clingy. Whilst Bobbin and Cairn had had the places of honour on her shoulders, the others had been a train of colour that winked in and out of Between as they kept up, clinging to walls, glow baskets and supporting beams as they stayed close.

The gold had just returned with a small basket in tow, immediately resuming her sentinel post as the basket was plopped gently at Tyne's feet. She had just picked it up when she heard the voice and she started, freezing in place and causing the flock to bristle in alarm at the spike of alert that rushed through Tyne.

"Who're you? Why are you here?" On another day, the voice might have been more demanding. Today it was edged with panic, as though she were caught doing something she shouldn't be doing.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:00 PM Jessica Freise <loriendarenya@...> wrote:
Yiyu stepped out of the lower caverns and instantly paused. Like a wild runner caught in lamplight, she stilled, aware of eyes on her. Slowly turning, she saw...firelizards. A great many, in fact, but it was the woman who caught her attention with wide, dark eyes that stared through, not passed, her.

"May I..help...you, lady?"

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.

Florcott on AIM.