Re: Training day... activate! (Tyne/ANY)

Nutmeg

She had watched the whole exchange whilst wobbling internally on a taut tightrope of fear. She didn't say anything whilst another draconic exchange took place but her own mind was humming. Did she know this Rider? HAD she known this Rider? It hadn't occurred to her where Sahari might be from, least of it it being Ista. As far as she was concerned, this was just another Rider no doubt being filled in as to who she HAD been and the Rider now becoming terrified of being near her. In her dark moments of petulance, Tyne found herself wondering whether they thought she was cursed and that just being near her meant that she would ensure the same terrible fate befell them both. The irony was that not even in her cruellest, most petty of moments would she have wished this on her worst enemy.

That nothing was immediately happened, she wasn't sure if it was good or bad. But she waited. Carefully, her fingers twisted through Cairn and Bobbin's tail in a gesture as childlike as an upset babe reaching for a favourite stuffie. But she waited and used the seconds to focus on the streaks of calm she still had a hold of. 

It was close to an acquiescence as she would get, even if the word "flight" had made her flinch like she had been slapped. Perhaps it was more the combination but it sent a jolt through her. "It does." Was all she first managed to say after what had seemed like eons  but the inner Myrandith was fading now, settling its proverbial head and her voice was small and quiet, again childlike. Although she didn't drink alcohol anymore these days barring the weakest of wines on occasion, now would have been the time where she would have reached for a stiff drink. Instead she held the flask out to Sahari, a mute token of peace. That she didn't know what was going to happen immediately after was what kept her still on edge, still ready to... something. Run? Fight? Disappear? She could never interpret what that twisted sensation of taut anticipation wanted, but she at least could recognise it now.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:34 AM Jenna Cunningham <jenna.layne.cunningham@...> wrote:
At first, Sahari felt pity, and watched the shift of emotions across Tyne's face, wondering how to salvage the situation. Stupid though the girl might have been, she'd paid dearly enough for it now and, besides --

Wait. Was that disdain? Was this former gold rider still too good to hang out with the likes of her?

Her hand closed into a fist, and she brought her arm back to her side, planting her feet shoulder-width apart, unconsciously adopting the sort of bullish stance that usually preceded a fight in her younger days. Behind her, rising out of the shallows and shaking himself dry, she felt Oachayth's keen worry.

<<Mine, if you hit her, we will have to leave. I like it here.>> He sounded as plaintive as she had ever heard him.

I'm not going to hit her. But she glanced down at her hands and found them still balled into tight fists, and felt the tension in her lean body. Maybe she had been intending to do exactly that - and the realization embarrassed her. She was too old to be slugging someone for insulting her, ex-gold rider or not, and she knew better than to bully around someone who couldn't even fight back. Especially when her lifemate's happiness was on the line.

"Well," she said instead, ignoring Tyne's earlier question, and felt the fight go out of her. "Sometimes flights just go to shit. It happens."

--
Nutmeg on the Wizzy.
Florcott on AIM.

I'm sometimes slow and have the memory of a sieve at times, so don't hesitate to poke me if you think you've been forgotten!

Join main@arolosweyr.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.