Re: To Fly Without Wings atten: any at stables/Sarati #attnany

Aaron

Nekaer wiped the sweat from his forehead onto the upper arm of his sleeve. When one such as himself was a Candidate but did not know very well what sort of work he wanted to do should he fail to Impress – Arolos Weyr was hardly a sea port, after all, so his father's former trade was out of the question – one tended to end up assigned to whatever random chores needed doing, shopped out to each craft in a sort of rotation. At least, Nekaer did. Perhaps they hoped he would find a craft he enjoyed as much as sailing.

Today, he was mucking out stalls, and he had just finished an empty one just next to a fussy mare who made her irritation with Nekaer's presence known. Nekaer assumed, anyway, that this was what all of the fussing was about.

"I know, I know. I'm done now, so you can calm down; I'm leaving."

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 10:18 sailyn2 <empressoftheworld@...> wrote:
Sarati loved to fly, even if on Kabelth it could never be for far or long. She loved the wind in her hair, the power of her lifemate underneath her, the knowledge she could go most anywhere on Pern (though more carefully than most). Riding a horse wasn't exactly the same, but it was close, and she still remembered and sometimes missed her life as a jockey. She knew that her husband's family didn't approve, so she was often stuck to boring, easy to ride runner when one was needed to go somewhere for ceremony or where Kabelth couldn't easily go, but every once in a while she snuck time to ride a less cooperative runner.

There was a temperamental mare that she liked to ride at the Weyr, a blood bay with the uninspired name of Flame. Sarati managed to secure some free time and headed for the stables.