Re: Despair on the Wings of a flit. (Alyx/ Cremsden)

Laura Walker

"That's a really good idea. We do get more than our share of burns sometimes. It's even worse in some of the riders, have you noticed? I wonder if it is because when they aren't flying a Fall they dress like the rest of us, but are up where there's no shade. Nothing but clouds between them and the sun. I had one in the other day asking for cream for a burn, and you could just tell they had done this several times before. There were scars from blisters. So I gave them a large bottle of sun cream." This was something that she had been looking into for a while. There were sunburns nearly everyday around the weyr. And these people, most of them ought to know better.

Cremsden laughed. "You might have a point with them being higher up, but I'm betting a large part of it is riders being riders," he predicted. "They expect Fall to be what kills them off eventually, so they consider themselves basically immune to everything else. They might not think it consciously but you dig under the skin of most riders and they consider Thread to be about this dangerous--" he waved a hand about shoulder-height "and everything else to be about this dangerous--" this time just above the table "and thus not a risk even worth spending time thinking about." He grinned ruefully. "You might think the pain would stop them but eh. Riders. Doesn't hurt as much as a score, not worth bothering about."