Re: What's the news? (attn Ok'lin / T'od)

Lindsay

T'od's laugh was rueful. "Much as I loved my mother, she did love to rub it in if I fecked up, especially if she'd advised me not to do something. I can still hear her voice sometimes 'Takoda, I warned you that would happen... Didn't I say it?' and other such things like that. Really pisses a young man off, y'know? Especially one who's old enough to marry or be a Senior Apprentice by that time. Clearly she thought because she had *told* me it would go wrong, that would be enough to stop me doing it. I don't really think it ever occurred to her that I would want to find out for myself." His gaze was distant as he spoke, but then he focused on Ok'lin's face. "The one time she didn't get to say she told me so was after I was Searched, and came here to Impress Awsonth. She thought it was all a waste of time and I'd never Impress. I'm glad she was wrong."

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 21:14, Cassandra <dragonmagic16@...> wrote:

Ok’lin looked at him curiously, “what hard way?”  Admittedly when he was younger and he had never gotten to really know the other riders, even the Weyrlings in his own hatching group, but as he got older he realised people were actually….interesting.  Each story was unique and he was enjoying puzzling it out.  Why not start with a friend?

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 1:51 AM Lindsay <alexeden1971@...> wrote:
T'od chuckled in agreement. "Same here, the more someone tells me no... Well you're right. From what I understand that's pretty much all you can do as a parent - give advice and be there. And try not to tell them 'I told you so' if they don't take your advice and feck up." Slightly quieter, he concluded, "I learned that one from my mother. The hard way." He returned the salute, taking a deep gulp of his klah. "Well we try, but there are some things they have to learn for themselves."

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 10:05, Cassandra <dragonmagic16@...> wrote:

Ok’lin shrugged his shoulders, “just have to hope it doesn’t come to that.  I can’t tell him what to do now.  He grew up as Weyrbrat so it’s not like I can go oh I want you to not do that.”  He frowned a little.  “The more my father,” he said the name with some distaste, “told me to do something the more I dug my heels in.   Besides even if he stands it doesn’t mean he’ll impress.  Either way all I can do is give him advice and be there for him.”  Picking up his klah he gave T’od a salute, “besides that means he’ll have good guidance in people like you yeah?”

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Lindsay <alexeden1971@...> wrote:
T'od concurred. "I guess you can't. It's not like he's not aware of the risks. But... I don't know... I think if I had a child I would prefer them to be in a less dangerous occupation. And of course there's the possibility of ending up dragonless, and only half-alive..." A far-from-cheery thought but one that had to be faced. There were a few dragonless folk around the Weyr and T'od couldn't even begin to comprehend his life without Awsonth in it.